Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale
Profile for Mrs Julia Law > Reviews

Browse

Mrs Julia Law's Profile

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mrs Julia Law RSS Feed (Grand Cayman)

Philosophy For Dummies
Philosophy For Dummies
by Tom V Morris
Price: $12.18
198 used & new from $1.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Making Philosophy Approachable..., December 7, 1999
This review is from: Philosophy For Dummies (Paperback)
I just finished Philosophy for Dummies - I had recently read a book "Get a Grip on Philosophy" by Neil Turnbull which I enjoyed - then Philosophy for Dummies caught my eye - So as you see I am a philosophy novice!
However, I found Philosophy for Dummies to be well written, positive,inspirational and thought provoking! Philosophy in a gripping, easy to read and even amusing book! Thank you! One thing that both books in fact did for me, was to bring philosophy down to earth and to give it an approachable and practical sense. I had previously imagined the subject to be the domaine of intellectual big wigs... in fact some intellectual snobbery does seem to perpetuate this notion. Personally - I found Philosophy for Dummies rather interesting since these issues I had often considered and some of my previous thoughts and beliefs are consistent with those expressed in the book.
To the criticism that there are omissions in the book; when reading, one should take what one finds to be useful and leave what one does not, accepting what a book does give us and resolving to continue to 'fill in personally perceived gaps' with further research. In this case, Philosophy for Dummies is an excellent introduction to the subject, inspiring further research, reading and reflection. As for 'history'. In my opinion, this book does not pretend to be a complete history of philosphy, but rather an over view of, and introduction to the subject, in a way that makes it relevant to people's lives today.
Anyway - I would wish Tom Morris all the best in his continuing efforts to make philosophy more practical and accessible... Any encouragement for people to reflect upon their beliefs and consequent actions is a good thing in my opinion!