Profile for Joseph > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph "Joseph Godfrey" RSS Feed (Dubtown, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Ruins #1 "2009 One-shot Collects the Original 2 Issue Mini-series"
Ruins #1 "2009 One-shot Collects the Original 2 Issue Mini-series"
by ELLIS
Edition: Comic

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Inspiring. But it didn't inspire Marvel., September 22, 2014
This was a great concept, but for all purposes it simply put ideas in my head as Marvel lacks the critical thinking to bring this Warren Ellis "hint of reality" to life. A single image of Galactus floating dead in space creates the idea of a greater story, it's a good thing for wannabe writers in need of inspiration although it's a footnote in this universe.

RUINS is a pitch idea. RUINS is something people laugh over during a table read. And here it is - all these really cool things shoved into a ONE SHOT parody? I could make a trilogy of novels about finding a dead god floating in space. There's a significant story to be written about our Spiderman spreading a virus unknowingly through touch. There's a great movie called 'District 9' surrounding the internment of alien life here on earth, but in RUINS it's passed off as a one page rubbernecking.

RUINS is a batch of ideas that won't come to fruition. Why? Because Marvel is afraid to stand behind uncertainties. Marvel sticks with what they know works and for decades now it's been a rollercoaster of sales & fan devotion. They tell the same stories over & over again. They spread one story through multiple comics just to make a buck and instead of branching out into the world of pure graphic novel like Japan has done. They throw us hints such as RUINS for what they could be doing.

In closing. I loved RUINS. I hate that it was 2 issues. It should be a stand alone universe. I mean look how far they stretched that plot lacking zombies gimmick. They take something that makes them money and milk it dry. It's no wonder to me that Disney owns them today. But RUINS ... the best we can hope for is a future generation inspired by Ellis to give us a completion of these fun ideas.

LEGO Star Wars 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor
LEGO Star Wars 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor
Offered by ToyKingsOnline
Price: $99.95
91 used & new from $89.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Design, A Bit Wobbly, March 14, 2014
I had an honest appreciation for the design of the Fury-Class Interceptor. I think the Lego engineers could have captured the original look a little better and I think the wing design could have been sturdier. It's a loose build with rickety wings and an unsecured rear door. I felt like - if a kid were to actually play with this (rather than sit it on a shelf as a model) the rattling of the wings would be an annoyance. It's a bit fragile - not as poorly as other Star Wars Lego I've seen.

Time-wise; it took a couple of hours for me to piece together. I have cats that hear the sound of the bags and think it's Treat Time, which was my only hassle. Some parts seemed unnecessary and the top of the wings looked like it should be on the bottom to me. The bottom wings had a smoother appearance. I'm being critical, but I do like this ship. I think it's an intelligent Lego design, especially the way it all went together. It has a wonderful geometric style, very smooth surfaces with atypical angles Based simple on it's "coolness factor", it'll easily be a high-priced collection for future generations.

For those that want to know; This starship originates from several issues of the Dark Horse Comics, 'Star Wars:The Old Republic' series. It's design comes from the mind of Ryan Dening, a senior concept artist. The comic version had room for the pilot & co-pilot, was well armed with 4 laser cannons, missiles & military-grade shielding. That's enough fire-power to take on any Republic warship. There is a large communications room & crew quarters. The Fury-class Imperial Interceptor is actually a transport vessel as opposed to the (not very TIE fighter looking) Fury-class starfighter.

Mayim's Vegan Table: More than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours
by Mayim Bialik
Price: $15.83
86 used & new from $6.21

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm An Omnivore Myself, February 7, 2014
Vegan cookbooks are certainly a dime a dozen, it's an old fad that generally pushes the issue of animal cruelty. Speaking for myself as a mammal & omnivore I am not saying my goodbyes to my milk/cheese/meat diet, but during the hotter months I find myself eating more vegetables (I love veggies) but I don't always have the knowledge for a lot of meals. Basically it's peas-mixed-in-mashed-potato or my particular favorite black bean, lima bean & corn dinner.

I follow Dr. Bialik on Twitter, and learned of Mayim's Vegan Table through her posts. I'm a fan of her Jewishness & Big Bang Theory popularity. I also know she is a mother of two and as Mothers go, they're the ones to go to about food for finicky eaters ... Like me ^_^

I was happy to see her goal for this publication was to share her MOM recipes as well as inexpensive simple recipes without a bunch of pretentious ingredients that I've never heard of. The book isn't about celebrity promotional hype, but a book that provides meals Mayim makes & eat with her boys.

The first chapters are a nice read about her choice to be Vegan. She explains why she made this choice,suggestions about which foods are healthier & which belong to the vegan household. There were additional comments from Dr. Jay Gordon, a pediatrician, as a reference for validity I believe. I found him completely unnecessary. No offense intended. He does contribute to the overall content, but "hey" don't get too preachy about my natural mammalian desire for meat. I also don't care about what's wrong with the milk I drink ... I really enjoy milk ^_^

The recipe instructions are easy & fun to follow. I don't feel as if Mayim's a novice herself, yet the book is fundamentally for any beginner. My opinion really. We're provided with a list of natural ingredients rather than quicky substitutes, although we do go into the Vegan Mayo & Vegan Margarine & Tofu area. I wasn't intimidated by my lack of experience to dive into these, although Kroger's reaped the benefits through their prices. I don't have an alternative grocery to browse.

My first recipe was Mayim's Chocolate Fudge Cake, because YUM, it's fudge cake:

Now I used gluten-free flouring for my own cake, it doesn't take away from anything, although the gluten free makes a heavier cake for the stomach. It called for an egg replacer, which I'd never used. I couldn't tell the difference at all. I substituted my own store bought icing because (again) gluten ^_^ I also served it with fresh cut strawberries & Cool Whip on the side. Yeah, I'm a big cheater. But Mayim's helpful recipe made this easier, and gave me a moist delicious ate-too-much thrill.

Next was a mouthwatering Spanish Rice.

It was steamed with kidney beans, vegan cheese, fresh diced tomato and corn-grain tortillas. I left out the "store bought salsa" and swapped "whole wheat tortillas" for the corn, because I keep saying I'm gluten-fee, why am I repeating myself? I and my younger brother ate the whole thing straight from the pan (LOL) He refused to believe it was vegan and said it couldn't be "fake cheese" as he called it.

I had hoped the book would offer some suitability for freezing, pre-made mixes as I'm accustomed to using with gluten-free recipes. I really loved that Mayim didn't push to replicate animal produce in a vegan form. Instead her focus is healthy, simple recipes.

Lastly should be my ease to calm the skeptics, because this is a Celebrity book and we've all been swayed by actors taking someone else's methods and making it their own. Rather enjoy this book because it's from a mother of two with access to better resources. Or because this book is more about sharing than making a quick buck. Thank you Mayim.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 9:19 AM PST

Dc Comics Buildable Capsule Figure: Joker
Dc Comics Buildable Capsule Figure: Joker
Offered by Fun4KidsStore
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It sets on my computer as I type., December 18, 2013
Sorry, I don't grant 5 stars even when I really want to B ECAUSE most people see 5 stars and ignore the review as a fraud.

I received my Joker figure in good condition. It was delivered quickly, I got it 3 days ahead of schedule. The seller tossed in a Green Lantern figure for FREE, which was a happy bonus (YAY). I just wanted something to sit on my desktop that I could enjoy. Maybe I wouldn't recommend the Joker figure (specifically) for kids, because damn this clown looks evil - LOL ...

I really like these things. They're cute with a touch of nerd coolness ^_^ They come with their bodies inside the perfectly round head. You just pop it open and close the two pieces over the neck and CLICK. It stays together firmly and you can rotate the head.

Cute little gumball toy. THANKS

The Good Mother Myth: Redefining Motherhood to Fit Reality
The Good Mother Myth: Redefining Motherhood to Fit Reality
by Avital Norman Nathman
Price: $12.32
60 used & new from $3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The Subjective Good And Bad, December 18, 2013
I was lead to believe there would be a diverse discussion from several points of view on motherhood, but the word diversity ignores any opposing views. You can't have a free open conversation when everyone is agreeing with one another. That's just someone finding self-validation for their own opinion. If that opinion adds something new to the table we welcome it with curious admiration. If not then you're just presenting the same arguments to prove a point. I don't want that; I prefer challenging ideas, not a one sided view. There's nothing of greater boredom than to surround yourself with the proverbial "yes men". What can you learn when you remain in your own box & demand everyone else get in the box with you?

You know what feminism is? It's about choice. This book actually pities the woman that chose motherhood before their own career. It's a belief that a choice to stay home & raise children can be self-torturing and even dangerous. This book is packed with facts to help relieve some deeper insecurity. It exclaims a fervor of self-confidence by "DOING IT ALL"; having the family, the career and your own life - because that choice to solely focus on your children is dangerous.

"Why would any woman say this to another? Psychologists generally determine this to be some excessive attempt to amend weakness. An overcompensation that belittles one method in favor of another. How can you claim to be feminist when you're fueling division within your own gender?"

I doubt that was the intent, but most certainly some women will perceive it this way.

Okay. My review comes with 3 stars, because I think it's okay. Which someone people assume that to mean, "I didn't find it terrible". The book does speak to a common thinker, and such people that think alike are a minority in this world. Nathman examines women whom believe caring for themselves before their family to be selfish. Such people are out there (both mothers & fathers).

Nathman specifically focuses on the idea of "The Good Mother" ... The Good Mother must give their child the best of life, care, fun & protection ... and will do so with great sacrifice. Even to the sacrifice by ignoring marital woes.

It presents persuasive arguments and chronicles self-experiences without going all Dr. Phil about it. No, you won't find those one line fixes for parenting here. This is a shared experience with funny regaling moments any mother can relate to. I found that to be the most interesting part of this book. I wish there was more.

It's enjoyable to hear parenting techniques, but less enjoyable if you take them as a guide.

You could use every Avital Norman Nathman approach to parenting and watch it fail miserably. So DO NOT assume this literature as ushering the new age. Because most of what 'The Good Mother Myth: Redefining Motherhood to Fit Reality' attempts to defeat is the myth of the PERFECTIONIST. You might find yourself using her book in the same manner as the warning delivers: A parent that uses their child as a mirror of themselves ... as something they can repair about their own life by living vicariously through their children. If anything the Good Mother must always know that the child has their own personality. All it requires is nurturing.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 11:32 PM PST

iGadgitz Luxury Rotating Pink PU Leather Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0" SM-T210 With 360 Viewing Angle Stand + Screen Protector
Offered by igadgitz_usa
Price: $23.99
2 used & new from $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, December 17, 2013
I would call this a "binder", but it's a decent decoration if anything else.

It has a little holder for a stylus pen at the top, but you can't carry (say) headphones, credit card or use this like a wallet. Which would be a better feature than that silly 360° rotating detachable nonsense it hyped. The 360° feature is just a button like you have on a pair of jeans - It spins & detaches because (well) it's just buttoned to the "binder".

The case fits perfectly the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Model Number SM-T2-10R - I bought this as a gift along with the tablet and was happy that it actually fit - some others are misleading about that.

All in all it's a nice addition, but you can buy a similar & cheaper case at Walmart for like $4.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7-Inch, White) 2013 Model SM-T210 8 GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7-Inch, White) 2013 Model SM-T210 8 GB
Offered by Open Group Wireless
Price: Click here to see our price
133 used & new from $84.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet - but poor sound performance for music, December 13, 2013
Great screen display. Great cam & video display. Samsung's display screen is better than anything Apple & Google has produced. It's a little lacking in sound quality & performance; You turn it up all the way and it goes into cheap crackle mode. MY WIFE IS HARD OF HEARING, so I'm hoping the headphones will work better for her - otherwise she's going to blow these speakers.

Easy function, kind of an odd "save settings" for things like time & date (shouldn't that be automated?).

All in all it's a beautiful tablet, I can only imagine how nice the phone is. I'm happy with it, it was so affordable that it initially worried me about being a cheap build - I didn't want another Coby Kyros disaster like last year. But WOW I'm impressed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 12:39 PM PST

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Origin
by Christopher Golden
16 used & new from $2.04

3.0 out of 5 stars A Revisit To The Original Film, December 16, 2012
I bought this book on the notion that it was the BTVS version Joss Whedon originally wanted for the movie with Kristy Swanson. Basically it is no different from the movie other than the imagery. The vamps in this book are close to the 'Blood The Last Vampire" anime, appearing both human and bat wing demonic guises. I actually expected more out this story, but my assumption derived by word of mouth. It's still a nice read, a fun revisit to the original Buffy and (sure) a nice piece of collectivity. By all accounts I did enjoy it - I just expected something much broader or complex.

Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 4.0 8 GB 16:9 Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen Widescreen Internet Tablet with Built-In Camera, Black MID1042-8
Offered by JDG Associates
Price: $88.99
21 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bad Ratings Were Misleading, November 25, 2012
This is the review of the Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 4.0 8 GB 16:9 Multi-Touchscreen Tablet MID1042-8. I bought a new one - not a used one ...

I read the reviews before my purchase and now I'm mad at the lower ratings that mislead buyers into thinking they would NOT be able to log in to Facebook or YouTube. You have full access to the internet; Anything you can log in to on a PC you can log in to with this tablet.

As a matter of fact the only thing the poorer ratings said that was true was you can not get Google Apps ... but who cares ... You can get all the popular applications for free using their GetJar ... Push one button and it takes you to Angry Birds, Star Wars Angry Birds, hundreds of games, the free Avast Anti-Virus, Video Phone, Personalization ... I could go on forever.

This tablet is great. The only critique I have would be the battery life. The battery displays a standard 3 hours lifespan. I can get 4 to 5 hours depending on whether or not I'm watching a movie, videos, or playing games. It uses none of the battery while it's off.

The number of hours you spend on the tablet will account for the number of hours you'll need to recharge. I don't like that.

I would like to just plug it in to an outlet and continue using it beyond the battery life, but the User Guide warns you not to do that. As long as the tablet is plugged in - it is recharging - and it could overheat or even catch fire. It's a warning that comes with any portable PC I know ... I just find it unacceptable. Can't they just set it so you can run AC power without using the recharge?

I would recommend this tablet for anyone that doesn't care about name brands or wants a tablet for less the price. I would recommend this tablet to anyone that doesn't care whether or not they that can download user made applications from Google. I would recommend this tablet to anyone that isn't an Apple Cultist. Like I said - all the POPULAR Apps are available to you, by pushing the GetJar button on this tablet's desktop page.

I love this thing. It does everything I wanted it for.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 10:14 AM PST

Music Is Better Than Words
Music Is Better Than Words
Price: $4.99
44 used & new from $2.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Music Is Better Than Words But Apparently Not Cartoons, September 28, 2011
Let me begin by saying how much I enjoyed 'Two Sleepy People'. Norah Jones accompanied Seth MacFarlane on this track, which is the sole reason it worked so well. I know the hate that will arise from speaking ill of Mr. MacFarlane's talents - I don't deny he has a wonderful singing voice. I deny that he has something unique to offer the musical world. Unique as in "there is no equal". As with Norah Jones - It's the best example I can present of uniqueness. Just listen to her voice; Norah Jones brings a unequaled quality which Seth MacFarlane lacks. She is a wonderful singer, but the key difference (between MacFarlane) is that you won't hear another Norah Jones for decades to come. His monotone presentation of 'It's Easy To Remember (And So Hard to Forget)' refused to hold my attention for the 5˝ minute duration. I refer to the Bing Crosby uplifting tones or the broad range of Billie Holiday by comparison ... there is none. With the available talents that have complimented the Rodgers and Hart creation, Seth MacFarlane's may as well be background filler during the dragging of dead bodies by a steamboat. I won't be too critical (anymore). As I said the man can sing very well. I can admit 'Music Is Better Than Words' will become a collectable album, not because of the talent of the singer, but because he has a cartoon fan base that loves him. This album is an average collection for a standard in music that won't easily be replaced. Nice try though Mr. MacFarlane - perhaps you should join some Tony Bennett duets and establish recognition?
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2011 8:57 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2