ARRAY(0xa7bc7360)

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Vertes "Eclectic Reader" RSS Feed (University Heights, Ohio)

The Time of the Assassins: A Study of Rimbaud
The Time of the Assassins: A Study of Rimbaud
by Henry Miller
Price: $12.48
68 used & new from $4.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Archaic Typeface and Poor Readability, February 21, 2012
I am not commenting on this work's literary merit -- I am expressing my disappointment with the typeface used throughout the New Directions Press edition of this title. The typeface is very heavy and dark -- some might call it a "bold" typeface -- throughout. It's very tough to read an entire book all the way through -- especially with eyes over age 40 -- in such a heavy typeface. My eyes are slugging through the text and the typeface itself is an annoying preoccupation while reading.

I do hope this important work merits a redesign by NDP introducing a more contemporary -- and readable -- typeface.

Finishing the Hat: Collected Lyrics (1954-1981) with Attendant Comments, Principles, Heresies, Grudges, Whines and Anecdotes
by Stephen Sondheim
Price: $29.92
124 used & new from $9.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Design, April 15, 2011
This is Alfred A. Knopf and Stephen Sondheim, people. If Sondheim's shows has had this book's production values, they'd never have gotten past Hoboken. How sad to see tiny b/w photos and an underwhelming format when Knopf should have put on the ritz for this book.

The Strain (Stain Trilogy)
The Strain (Stain Trilogy)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $5.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Prefer My Vampires to be Supernatural, Not Biological Automatons, February 18, 2011
I'll hope this review is useful by getting straight to the point: it's unimaginable to me that storytellers with Del Toro's and Hogan's gifts would get so many things right -- characters you can't wait to get back to, effective use of omnibus narrative structure -- only to commit a cardinal sin for horror writers: eschewing the supernatural machinery that makes vampire stories go. Unlike 'Salem's Lot, the post-Stoker classic, these two trade in the vampire myth for a biological game of "Battleship" -- "blood worms" indeed -- and in so doing, trade in all the suspense and all the scares. Sorry boys, you need the supernatural to produce genuine vampire chills. This book isn't scary. This vampire-as-bioterror conceit deprives your monsters of anything fearful. They might as well be wild beasts. They have no personalities. Even Sardu, the master vampire, is nothing more than a biological phenomenon.

What a shame. What a waste of what could have been an A+ vampire story. You haven't given us vampires, you gave us zombies.

Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook
Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook
by Clifford A. Wright
Price: $17.21
157 used & new from $1.30

2.0 out of 5 stars What, no photos?!@, January 2, 2009
The inviting photo on the cover led me to believe this book had photos on the inside -- a stupid assumption on my part, but one of the perils of shopping for books on the Internet. A book of this scope should have had photos, and the fact that it didn't means the publisher, for one reason or another, took the cheap way out. No matter how good and encyclopedic the recipes, this is also something of a "lifestyle" book that ought to have had photos. Bummer.

Heartsick (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell)
Heartsick (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell)
by Chelsea Cain
292 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Stock Characters, Overhyped Thriller, May 8, 2008
I have to lend my voice to the choir and express how underwhelmed I was by this much-praised debut novel. I can only attribute the hype -- and it is hype when amazon lauds this as one of the year's ten best books -- to the possible bankruptcy of the genre itself. I say "possible" because I like the genre, like Thomas Harris, and like serial killer thrillers. But this one was so derivative of Harris without moving the genre in a new direction, and is final revelation of the killer so anticlimactic (I had to scan back to remind myself who this character was), that the only thing that kept me going was the hype that I read here in the amazon and other reviews. When a first-time author gets this kind of praise for such a run-of-the-mill outing, you begin to wonder who she knows and what kind of extra-literary connections she brings to the publishing process.

Read it if you're a die-hard genre fan; if not, keep waiting for the next Thomas Harris. Chelsea Cain ain't it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2008 1:12 PM PDT