Profile for Kurt Stucker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kurt Stucker RSS Feed (Central Indiana)

Ionic Screen Protector Film Clear (Invisible) for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (3-pack)
Offered by CrazyOnDigital Corp.
Price: $3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a Good Buy and Filled My Needs, October 3, 2012
No special pros or cons with this product. I am submitting this review to help these folks by giving them the 5 stars they deserved.

SONY NP-FH70 Battery 2,000mAh *NEW by Pexell
SONY NP-FH70 Battery 2,000mAh *NEW by Pexell

5.0 out of 5 stars Works On Sony SR220, September 12, 2009
First of all, I am not discounting Sparky's warning about Pexell batteries not working correctly with Cannon Camcorders.

For Sony camcorder owners: I purchased this NP-FH70 knock-off battery from Pexell for my Sony SR220 camcorder. It fits the camcorder and it shows about 240 minutes after a full charge. I have had it for several months now with no problems.

Impact! Coaching Successful Youth Football: Volume Two: Coaching Special Teams
Impact! Coaching Successful Youth Football: Volume Two: Coaching Special Teams
by Derek Wade
Price: $22.03
25 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Time and Money, April 20, 2009
I have to confess that I was not too excited about getting this book on
special teams. I know that special teams are important. As a youth
coach in the K-6th grade arena, kicking or punting the ball is a
dangerous undertaking on BOTH sides of the ball at the same time. I
really wanted to be spending my time studying defense or offense, but I
bought the book because I have read Coach Wade's work before and he does
an excellent job of explaining concepts through the written word - and
because kicking or punting the ball is dangerous.

Chapter One is on Punting. After studying Coach Wade's chapter on
punting and fake punting, I now find myself thinking of the punt as an
opportunity as opposed to an act of desperation.
Chapter Two is on Punt Return. It goes over what to do if you want to
go for "Breaking" the return for big yardage as opposed to trying to block the punt.
Chapter Three is on Punt Return. It goes over what to do if you want to
go for the block as opposed for going for a big yardage return.
Chapter Four is on Kickoffs and the philosophy behind the kickoff coverage.
Chapter Five is on Kickoff Returns. It goes over several formations and
the philosophy behind them.
Chapter Six is on Kicking Field Goals / PAT and Faking it. In all of
these chapters Coach Wades goes into deep detail on what every player
should be doing and this chapter is no exception.
Chapter Seven is on Blocking Field Goals / PAT and containing the fake.
Chapter Eight is on scouting other team's special teams.

Coach Wade goes over several different formations and philosophies for
each one of the chapter-disciplines. There are a few "Sexy-exotic"
formations for those who love to shock the crowd :). Even though it is
still hard for me to get excited about special teams, I am giving this a
5 star because I did not come across anything which counted off a star
and I feel that I am a better coach for reading the book. I think I can
summarize the "impact" the book has had on me by how I now watch a
football game. Before the book, I would watch the ball in the air and
the player who returned the ball. Now I watch the formations of both
teams and their first movements and try to guess what both teams are
trying to set up for the return or coverage.

Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition)
Upgrading and Repairing PCs (18th Edition)
by Scott Mueller
55 used & new from $0.87

4.0 out of 5 stars I am a Fan of this book, but ...., May 10, 2008
I am a machine control technical person where my main focus is not on PCs, but I sometimes have to work on PCs as they are often associated with machine control systems. Over a year ago my 2003 vintage OEM PC motherboard stopped working. I felt I was ready to put together my first PC using as much of the previous PC components as possible. Based upon the advice of a friend I purchased a copy of the 13th edition as it was written in the time frame of my PC. The book was extremely helpful as it put a spot light on a lot of "fuzzy" knowledge I had gained over the years, or had heard talked about. I ended up reading the majority of the book. Anything in the book that applied to my situation at home or at work I read about and I felt filled to the brim with the information I gathered from the book.

Recently, my wife's PC motherboard stopped working. I gave her my 2003 vintage PC and started work on building a brand new PC for me. The first action I took was to purchase the 18th edition of Upgrading and Repairing PCs. When I progressed with trying to determine my future PC components and needed to understand questions of SATA & Multi-Core theory & PCI Express 1 PCI Express 2 & CPU comparisons & knowledge on the latest System memory RAM, I went straight to the 18th edition book. But I just did not feel like I got the warm feeling inside which knowledge and understanding gives you. Compared to what I got out of the 13th edition (which was appropriate to my vintage of PC) to what I got out of the 18th edition (which was appropriate to the build of my newest PC), I felt like the authors have not been on top of "updating" the "upgrading" book.

So with hopefulness, I attempted to go to the author's website. upgradingandrepairingpcs. com and found it led me to another website called informit. com. It appears the author has banded with a group of other technical people to share their knowledge and expertise on this informit website & buying the 18th edition book allows free access to a lot of this web site. But this website was not satisfying for a person with a specific problem or question who is trying to link up with an answer. I ended up gathering a lot of my knowledge and understanding from the multitude of technical websites available on the internet. Including information on what a person has to do to repair Windows XP in order to use a hard drive from a broken PC on a different hardware platform. I would have thought that situation would be very common for "Upgrading and Repairing" a PC.

With that all said, I am giving the book 4 stars and I really wanted to be able to give the book 5 stars. The author is very good at explaining things in just the right manner. The knowledge & understanding I have gained from the books was well worth the full retail price for one book and made me a groupie of the book. But the next time I have to build a new PC in a few years, I won't be buying the latest edition without making sure it has been given a healthy dose of updating.

Coaching the Fly Offense
Coaching the Fly Offense
DVD ~ Mark Speckman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Video for Learning & Implementing the Fly Offensive System, February 24, 2008
This review is from: Coaching the Fly Offense (DVD)
Our high school uses the "Fly Offense". The high school staff wants the youth football league to be a "Feeder system" for the high school, so that the K-6 grade youth come into the Middle School System with a strong knowledge and understanding of the Fly Offensive system. I will over simplify a description of the "Fly Offense" by saying that a coach finds his fastest runner who can carry the ball and makes him a flanker ("sweeper"). Then every play this sweeper goes into motion from one side of the field to the other, passing closely behind the QB. The QB calls for the ball just before the sweeper gets to the QB. The QB turns to the sweeper just as the sweeper is at the QB. If the sweeper gets the ball, then the team has given the ball to their fastest player going at high speed to the end of the line before anybody else has barely gotten their first step off. If the sweeper does NOT get the ball, it sure looks like he could have it. Either way the threat to the outside is great and has to be respected by the defense. This causes the defense to make adjustments to stop the Fly Sweep which are then capitalized off of with the inside run or play action pass. I just completed coaching K-2 graders. Watching this with my K-2 graders, I could see how the sweeper was at the end of the line before the defense was even able to get into a position to stop him. This meant I only had 4 defensive players to focus on. CB - DE - OLB - Safety. Everybody else is pretty much out of the play.

This DVD is 186 minutes long for a retail price of $99. Most Coaches Choice videos are $40 retail for about 60 minutes. Do the math and this video is only $0.53/minute to $0.67/Minute for most of the others. The environment for the video was without any distractions during Coach Speckman's lecture sessions. The drills were inside of a gym with no distractions. The camera quality was good and sound was good.

This DVD is several DVDs put together into one package. There are a total of 15 Chapters, but there are really 5 main chapters which are supported by the other chapters. The five main chapters are as follows.

Chapter #01: Fly Offense Base Plan - What is it.
Chapter #03: Sweep
Chapter #06: Inside Run
Chapter #08: Play Action Pass
Chapter #11: Effective Practice Drills.

Mark Speckman does a great job of explaining this offensive system. There are some times where he might stumble on his delivery, but I think it is because he is trying to get a lot of ideas out of his mind as opposed to not being familiar with the content. His offensive system of using "Blocking Rules" & "Running Paths" & "Receiver Concepts" was good. His understanding of the most troublesome defensive alignments and his counters to these alignments was good. His detailed review and description of what it takes to make the Fly Sweep successful was great. His specialized blocking methods was good. The drills were demonstrated by members of his team who knew what was going on. The camera person filmed from the front and from the side to show what was going on. There was game footage of plays which represented what Coach Speckman was trying to describe. The game play would be shown at full speed, then several times at a slower speed while Coach Speckman described things in detail, and then a final time at full speed.

Overall I got a lot out of this video. I have watched it several times and I still have not gotten tired of watching it as there is a lot of content. This is a solid 4-5 star video. The only reason I did not give the video 5 stars is because there is room for improvement, but compared to other football videos, this is right at the top.

Sid Meier's Railroads! - PC
Sid Meier's Railroads! - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $13.99
12 used & new from $4.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Old Railroaders and for Soon to be Railroaders, February 21, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my 12 year old son. Both him, and myself have become proficient on the older Railroad Tycoon II and when we saw that a new "Railroads" came out, I bought it for the both of us.

"Railroads" graphics are the big standout in the Railroads game. I have a 2003ish clean running Pentium 4 @ 2.66GHz with NVidia graphics card and 1GB of RAM and I had to turn the graphics on this game to minimum in order to get keep the picture from being herky - jerky. It asks a lot out of the graphics card.

The older Railroads II game can go deeper into "complexity" or "Realism" than the Railroads game does, but that is ok because the graphics are like eating desert to the eye and there is plenty of strategy in the newer "Railroads" version.

Having read some of the reviews listed here, I am reminded of the commonly made comments heard when a really popular book is made into a movie. Railroad Tycoon II and III set a high standard for a deep simulation strategy game that takes tens and hundreds of hours to master. Most of the "grand masters" of RRIII most likely started with the original Railroad Tycoon and progressed through the different versions on their path to proficiency in RRT3. With the newer Railroads game, I can see a new generation of younger gamers getting hooked on Railroads simplier game play and graphics. Then when Railroads II comes out, I suspect it will attempt to bring this newest series of Railroad simulation to the level where Railroad Tycoon III left off.

For the time being, I can see a Sid Meier Railroad simulation fan playing both versions depending upon how much time they had for a game and how deep they wanted to get. So far we have not played RR II since getting the newer Railroads. ;)

Impact! Coaching Successful Youth Football: Volume One: The Program
Impact! Coaching Successful Youth Football: Volume One: The Program
by Derek Wade
Price: $29.24
37 used & new from $5.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for a Youth Football Head Coach, February 20, 2008
I don't know Derek Wade personally, but several years ago I first "met" him through an Amazon book review. I was so impressed with his review that I did a search on his name and found out that he had a web site. At the time I was not coaching, but I was closely following my older son's progress in Youth football. I was trying to fill in the holes in my son's skill set, that his coaches were not able to cover because of their restrictions of practice time and ability to spend one on one time with the players. I soon realized I had good tactical knowledge of the skills required for individual football positions, but hardly any strategic knowledge of a football team from a coaches view. Derek's website [...] contained tons of the knowledge he had gathered and shifted through on his similar quest for a strategic knowledge. His writing style was written in "Conversational" manner, where the emphasis is on communicating ideas in an understandable manner, as if having a conversation with an acquaintance, as opposed to trying to sound like an expert.

Chapter 1 History: This really filled in a lot of the holes in my knowledge. In other writings (or in my son's Madden Football) I would read references to offensive systems or defenses systems and I could only guess about them (ie. West Coast offense, 4-3 defense, etc.). Coach Wade explains these system with just enough detail and history to understand them from a 10,000 foot view. I couldn't put the book down while reading this. Then Coach Wade goes into a 5,000 foot view on the rules of football. This is an easy read as the entire section is labeled with bold headings so a person can skip what they don't want to read, and not worry about missing something they want to read.

Chapters 2 & 3 Video & book Reviews: There are a lot of coaching videos on the market. They are expensive. Most of them seem to be "Garage Projects". I agonize when I am trying to find the right video to fit my present need because it will cost a person tens of dollars to find out what you bought is not what you wanted. There needs to be more video & book reviews from trusted sources, so I was thankful for Coach Wade's insight. Coach Wade also has a few more book reviews on his web site.

Chapter 4 Film Study: Coach Wade makes it clear this is time intensive, but has big payback. I have been doing this for several years and I very much agree. As a dad, I would film a close up of the line where my son was, then slow it down to about 0.4 speed. That is VERY entertaining to watch as it emphasizes the hand to hand combat of the front line and has been VERY helpful to my son. Lots of good lessons learned in this section. Coaches should measure their resources and allocate them to film study accordingly.

Chapter 5 Dealing with Parents: Good philosophy and "lessons learned" in this chapter.

Chapter 6 Selecting Staff: Good philosophy and "lessons learned" in this chapter.

Chapter 7 Practice Preparation: Good philosophy and "lessons learned" in this chapter.

Chapter 8 Practice Plan: This chapter is the biggest in the book. Coach Wade takes a person through weeks of individual practices. I had to keep in mind that Coach Wade talks from his present coaching assignment at the Jr. high level, but I felt there was lots of good philosophy and lessons learned to help me at the K-4th level. I just finished coaching K-2 graders, all first time players, and my team would not have been able to progress as fast as the outline, but my older son's 5-6th grade team would have been able too. I will be coaching 3-4 graders and I plan on incorporating a lot of Coach Wade's practice philosophy here. I am presently rewriting my future practice plan accordingly.

Appendix 1 Misc Drills: Having this many drills laid out by subject area, with diagrams, and field tested is really really nice.

Appendix 2 Practice Plan: This is what I am referencing while I rewrite my future practice plan.

Appendix 3 Helpful Charts: If you are a visual person like I am, having things laid out in forms and organized into relationships is very helpful, but it takes time and a good form evolves from its initial concept to its working state. This section allows a person to skip the evolution stage and get right to the working stage.

Appendix 4 Letter to Parents: Interesting.

Appendix 5 The Black Lion Award: Interesting.

Appendix 6 Concussions: Very helpful. I plan on taking this seriously.

Appendix 7 Football Terms: Very helpful and interesting to read.

Index: Even this shows that some time was put into it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2008 4:56 PM PDT

Football: Teaching Long Snap Fundamentals and Techniques [VHS]
Football: Teaching Long Snap Fundamentals and Techniques [VHS]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars, January 22, 2008
This video is presented by a former long snapper, Mark Ingram. It is obvious that he is experienced at teaching the techniques and methods and philosophy of being able to long snap as his message in this video is thought out and rehearsed. He explains the "why" for his "do it this way" instruction. The video environment is not distracting (with the exception of a plane flying by once). I did not get the perception that this was a "thrown together at the last moment" video production like others I have seen. He covers the grip - spiral - stance - leg positioning - place holding - punt snap - field goal snap - "Tackle Over" - snap force and developmental drills. There are several times where he slows the video down in slow motion and that is very helpful.

My oldest son is a center for 7th grade, but could not get the distance to be the long snapper. We both watched the video and practiced the techniques shown. My son was able to snap directly to me at 10.5 feet with just the right height and speed. I was able to snap directly to him at 12 feet. We both need a lot more polishing, but I was impressed we could make so much progress in about an hour of practice using Mark Ingram's instruction.

The reason I gave a 4 star is because there could have been more slow motion and close-ups on the hands. The hand - arm movement is where 80% of the result is created. I would have been better informed if the video would have shown slow motion close ups of the ball being snapped from both the right side and the left side of the ball. Especially concerning the use of the weak hand in gripping the ball.

Quarterback Development For Youth Football
Quarterback Development For Youth Football
DVD ~ Nick Gasparato

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I was Hoping For, December 24, 2007
I needed a video which would be helpful in making a 7-9 year old into a QB. I needed a video which would go over the details of taking a snap, footwork, hand-off, cadence, timing, and all of the other things I don't even know I should know about. At this age level, passing is the least I need to be working on.

This video did not meet my needs; although on the surface it appeared as if it would. The picture on the case shows (or looks like) a 7-9 year old focused on making a hand-off. The title talks about youth development.

What the video contains are mostly QB drills (and the reason behind them). The drills are being executed by 13+ year olds. Over half of the video covers passing.

If that is what you are looking for, I would give this video a solid 3 for the $40 price. If you are looking for a video on developing 7-9 year olds, this is not going to be very helpful.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2009 1:34 PM PDT