Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for Sean Rallis > Reviews

Browse

Sean Rallis' Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sean Rallis RSS Feed (Ansonia, CT)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes
The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes
by Marcus Sakey
Price: $13.47
77 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The finale was a satisfying ending and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the ..., December 2, 2014
I don't normally read crime thrillers, but after watching the (regrettably short-lived) Hidden City years back, and stumbling upon this in a used book store, I decided to give it a shot. Marcus really does write his novels with dedication and research into his characters, much as he conveyed during his show. As I said before, crime thrillers don't interest me, but this novel kept me gripped all the way through. The finale was a satisfying ending and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the genre.

Darkness on the Edge of Town
Darkness on the Edge of Town
by Brian Keene
Price: $11.95
52 used & new from $9.84

1.0 out of 5 stars His Writing is as Rotten as His Corpse Descriptions, October 1, 2012
I honestly don't know why I keep coming back to the well with Brian Keene. His novels are so incredibly formulaic and predictable: Semi-loser main characters, otherworldly antagonists who are either revealed as such early on or thrown in as some sort of cheap plot twist, random 80s metal referencing (we get it Brian, you like Anthrax), unnecessary sex scenes, and overly (too overly) descriptive scenes of violence and the aftermath.

None of this came as a surprise to me in resign "Darkness on the Edge of Town", I pretty much gave a full synopsis of the book in my first paragraph. If you aren't tired of the same thing in different packaging with Keene, by all means check it out. Otherwise, do what some of his characters in the book did and use this one if you run out if toilet paper.

Alone
Alone
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly disappointing and Predictable, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Alone (Kindle Edition)
Save yourself the $2.99 and put 2and 2 together from Amazon's description of the story. Very predictable and dull short story.

SCRABBLE
SCRABBLE
Offered by Electronic Arts, Inc.
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreasonably Difficult!!!, March 29, 2011
This review is from: SCRABBLE (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this while it was on sale and I am GREATLY disappointed! The computer, even on easy, is frustratingly difficult and has a nasty nasty habit of coming back from an 80-100 point defecit to win the game! Electronic Arts releases some of the worst apps for the iPhone and I see that nothing has changed with their branching into the Kindle platform.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2011 11:08 PM PDT

Philosophy For Beginners
Philosophy For Beginners
by Richard Osborne
Price: $10.40
90 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Biased and Unfocused, January 22, 2011
I'm starting a Intro to Philosophy class this week because it's required for my engineering science degree (to which I don't understand why). This book was given as a sidearm to the text book. I was interested in the layout and the use of illustration. Getting further into the book it's quote clear that the author does not take any of his customers serious and is too heavy handed on humor and sarcasm throughout the book.

Given that it IS a beginner's outline of sorts, there is not enough time spent clarifying much of the early thinker's reasoning. If the book had been written sans illustrations, it would have left plenty of room to explain much of their schools of thought.

Further in as he progresses through history, I was deeply shocked and disturbed at his portrayal of religion as a whole in comparison and similarity to the secular world's patterns of thought for the time. Most notably, the author has a severe apparent disgust for Christianity, and tends to lay on very thick his own opinion of it being nothing more than jumble of myths from other cultures and, to paraphrase his writing, "It's supposed to be about Christ and the Bible, but that's just what they tell the punters," and that it was, "dying out like other cults until Paul decided to take ideas from everybody else and mix them in to a winning formula." he then proceeds to make light of many of the early people in the church (at the risk of being accused of being biased myself in my complaints, it should be noted he does the same for the Muslim faith also).

In no way shape or form in any school in America would any teacher be allowed to throw around such a disrespectful, opinionated case against an establishment of religion in a classroom environment under the pretense of relating it's "foolishness" in light of
great thinkers of the time.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2012 4:11 PM PST

Lost Highway
Lost Highway
Price: $7.95
214 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Bon Jovi I Grew Up On, June 19, 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
This most certainly isn't the bon Jovi I grew up listening to, and I think that's why I didn't give "Have a Nice Day" a fair chance. The last album was too confusing; half of it tried to recapture the sound from Bon Jovi's comeback with "Crush", and the other half was trying to go in a whole different direction with country-sounding guitar arrangements. There was no unified sound on that album, so I was very apprehensive about buying this one and finding out I didn't like it (I'm not a big country fan. Grew up on thrash metal.) It turns out that after one whole listen through that I actually enjoy it. Regardless of what I've read about claims that this is not "Bon Jovi doing a country album", it pretty much is, but it is done exceptionally well. You don't have your usual cliche stereotypical country lyrics here, the album's centralized theme is discovery - where you've been and where you're heading - and Bon Jovi's vocal stylings for this outing fit it perfectly. If you didn't already know he was from New Jersey, you'd probably think otherwise.

If you can't look past the fact that Jon Bon Jovi isn't in his twenties anymore and trying to cram arenas to the rafters with screaming girls loaded with Aqua Net, you probably should avoid purchasing this. otherwise it's an excellent album.

Black Rain (Includes Bonus Ozzfest Ticket Offer)
Black Rain (Includes Bonus Ozzfest Ticket Offer)
Offered by NBNC Enterprises
Price: $13.95
36 used & new from $1.02

4.0 out of 5 stars What Else Would You Expect?, May 22, 2007
Honestly, what is everybody expecting? You have a man who was a singer on quite a few albums before he was a solo artist and even as a solo artist he's had 9 albums, so is it any surprise that the man is running out of songs to write that are original? Hell, look at Zakk Wylde. I'm in no way shape or form a Zakk Wylde fan, but he's been writing guitar arrangements for 4 Ozzy albums, he had a solo release, a release with Pride and Glory and seven black label society. For everybody who is whining that this cd sounds like everything else Ozzy has released, you try coming up with original material after covering all of that ground.

Take the album for what it is; a decent Ozzy release. It's no Ultimate Sin, but it's not horrible either.

The Prestige
The Prestige
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: $8.55
190 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, February 20, 2007
This review is from: The Prestige (DVD)
If you're going to invest the time into watching this film, afterwards PLEASE do yourself a favor and track down a copy of the book and read it. It will allow you more insight into what is already a remarkable (and grossly misjudged by the looks of prior reviews), and interesting film.

Employee of the Month (Widescreen Edition)
Employee of the Month (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Dane Cook
Price: $7.00
136 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not Office Space..but..., February 20, 2007
I watched bits and pieces of this at my theater between running films, and I thought it looked pretty funny. I took a friend from out of state to see it and I thought it WAS really funny. It's definitely no Office Space, and tends to overuse some comedic ideas from past films of this nature, but it's still a very funny and very enjoyable movie. Dane Cook may have been the top billing, but Dax Sheppard definitely stole this film as that overachieving snob in the workplace we all love to hate! Part of me thinks this would have been a much funnier had they gone for an R rating. If you can get past the formulaic film format, it's worth checking out.

Anthology - Through The Years [2 CD]
Anthology - Through The Years [2 CD]
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $13.69
113 used & new from $5.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Carrer-Spanning Collection, September 19, 2006
I already own "Greatest Hits", but this 2 CD set makes that seem sort of obsolete now. The one gripe I had with "Greatest Hits" was the fact that it didn't include "You Don't Know How it Feels" (Yes, I am very well aware that "Wildflowers came out the year after "Greatest Hits", but there was no reason he couldn't have included it as a new track), and while it is on this collection, one other song that I absolutely love is missing from here, "The Last DJ". How this gem was overlooked, I'll never know. Otherwise this is one of the great 2 CD career spanning sets I've ever come across.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3