Profile for B-MAN > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 139

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B-MAN "B" RSS Feed (Earth, occasionally. Until I get bored.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Masters of the Universe: He-Man The Most Powerful Man in the Universe Figure
Masters of the Universe: He-Man The Most Powerful Man in the Universe Figure
Price: $59.99
8 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "I have the power", September 29, 2002
I do now. I just bought the new He-Man! I was excited to see this new line bringing back the classic Masters of the Universe line of action figures from the 1980's. He-Man looks a little different, but he's basically the same. He has a removable chest plate, sword (what a sword!), shield, and of course that insanely large axe! Two things I would change about this figure is 1) the left hand isn't sculpted tight enough to hold the shield firmly and 2) the slot on the back of his chest plate doesn't hold the axe or sword very tightly. The sculpt and the fact that he still does that classic He-Man waist swinging punch thing is enough to sell me though. By the way, He-Man is the only figure to do the waist thing so far (the original series in the 1980's all had this feature.) I suggest you buy He-Man and Battle Cat and make them fight Skeletor and Panthor. That's just a suggestion though. "HE-MAN!"

Masters of the Universe Stratos Action Figure
Masters of the Universe Stratos Action Figure
Offered by Max-n-Ryanns
Price: $25.00
12 used & new from $19.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Stratos can fly!, September 29, 2002
Stratos is unique to me because he was one of the only classic characters I never had when I was a kid. So it's extra special that he came out again so now I can undo that horrible mistake. Stratos has wings and an awesome jet-pack (that's how he flies!). One thing very original about the Masters of the Universe line was how colorful and different the characters were and Stratos is a perfect example of that. I always anticipated his rare appearances on the cartoon and now I can relive those moments with this awesome action figure! I hope the cartoon comes out on DVD which would be a great companion to the new figure line. Masters of the Universe was one of the most creative figure lines ever and one of several in the 1980's. It's great that Stratos and the other classic characters are back and looking even cooler than before. Fly Stratos, Fly!

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE SKELETOR (BLUE) ACTION FIGURE
MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE SKELETOR (BLUE) ACTION FIGURE
Offered by TNT Sales
Price: $48.95
7 used & new from $32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars So evil, it's scary!, September 29, 2002
I am even more impressed with this new Skeletor than I am with the new He-Man! Skeletor comes with sword, staff, and removable chest plate (just like before). I have to admit that I'm not crazy about the new "swinging" motion by his right arm, but it's a small detail when you look at how well he was sculpted. His sword comes into two pieces and he has bare feet unlike the original that had on boots. Skeletor is essential! Put it this way: He-Man fights evil and evil is Skeletor, so if you want He-Man to fight evil then you're going to have to have Skeletor! Then you can make them fight!

Masters of the Universe > Man-At-Arms Action Figure
Masters of the Universe > Man-At-Arms Action Figure
Price: $29.99
13 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey look! It's Teela's Dad!, September 29, 2002
and he's got the moustache he had on the cartoon! I still remember the original with no facial hair. Why do I remember him so well? Because I just found him in my attic! This Man-at-Arms is very cool: He comes with a mace and a "swinging" right arm (controllable from the button on his back). He has a removable chest plate, but the leg and left arm armor are permanently attached (unlike the original where you could take those pieces off). He also now has an optional left arm missle launcher! Now all we need is Teela and the family will be complete! Man-at-Arms, the true He-Man sidekick and designer of all things arms and armor! Get him today and make him hit Beast-Man with his mace!

Beast Man - Masters of the Universe Figure
Beast Man - Masters of the Universe Figure
Offered by TNT Sales
Price: $34.75
8 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars More Beastly and Bigger than before!, September 29, 2002
This Beast-Man is a definite improvement on the original. The sculpt is great, but I really like the "pounding" movement of his arms that you control with the button on his back! Maybe the coolest feature of Beast-Man is that he is a little larger and taller than the other figures, making him appear more massive and lumbering (afterall he is "Beast-Man"). Don't worry he still has his whip (much more realistic than before) and you can make him whip over empty coke bottles off the coffee table! Endless fun! I recommend the entire Masters of the Universe line of action figures! Keep them coming, the sculpts are awesome, please release Zodac!

Mer-man Masters of the Universe Figure
Mer-man Masters of the Universe Figure
Price: $21.99
18 used & new from $15.23

5.0 out of 5 stars My first He-Man figure ever!, September 29, 2002
Mer-Man was the first He-Man and Masters of the Universe figure I ever had. I remember when the Masters line came out in the early 80s. I must have been 5 years old and my brother and I went to [local store] and our parents let us pick out a figure each. His first figure was Beast-Man and mine was Mer-man. At that time He-Man and Skeletor were the hard ones to find, but with this new 2002 line it's the exact opposite. I have never seen Mer-Man in the store, but He-Man and Skeletor are always there. Beast-Man, Man-at-Arms, and Stratos are becoming more difficult to find as well. The new sculpt for these figures is superior to the originals, they look great. As a fan of classic toys and someone who grew up in probably the best decade for original action figures - the 1980s, I can highly recommend Mer-Man and all the other characters in the Masters of the Universe.

The Thin Blue Line - Volume 2 [VHS]
The Thin Blue Line - Volume 2 [VHS]
VHS
6 used & new from $4.69

5.0 out of 5 stars "and perhaps a small selection of cupcakes?", September 27, 2002
This video contains episodes 3(Honey Trap) and 4(Rag Week) of this hilarious Britcom concerning a Police Inspector and the bumbling oafs (to a man) he works with at the precinct. TBL ran from November 1995 to December 1996. The series only consists of 14 episodes total so I hope they bring it to DVD soon along with Mr. Bean. Anyone who loves Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder will love his performance here as Inspector Fowler. The writing is hilarious and intelligent, which is no surprise being written by Ben Elton who also wrote Filthy, Rich, & Catflap and co-wrote Black Adder, Mr. Bean, and of course the Young Ones! Honestly, can he do no wrong? For that matter, can he and Rowan do no wrong when they team up? The rest of the cast is brilliant and the comedic moments are definitely shared. I've watched these episodes over and over and the dialogue cracks me up everytime. Another of my favorite characters is Detective Inspector Grim of CID (David Haig who played "Bernard Geoffrey St. John Delaney" in Four Weddings & a Funeral (the scene where Rowan as the Priest, couldn't get his name right). Grim has some of the funniest lines in the show:
"It's my backside on the line and I'm right up to my neck in it."
"When you run us up the flagpole you'll find you're saluting a very different kettle of fish."
"He's slippery...like an owl."

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...until the ending!, September 22, 2002
6th version of "Four Feathers" (the first was in 1915) stars Heath Ledger as a British soldier who decides he wants to resign his commission right after he and the troops are ordered to go to the Sudan desert for battle. The cinematography and battle scenes are exciting. However, there are many problems with this film and the ending pretty much screws it (don't worry I won't reveal it, but I intend to complain about it in a nonrevealing fashion!). First, none of the stars are British and this is a movie concerning British people. Some actors have the capability of pulling this off, but not the two American leads (Kate Hudson, Wes Bentley) and definitely not Ledger, who is really Australian. It reminds me of that story about how Sean Connery had to be coached in his mannerisms, voice, etc., before he could play James Bond because initially he was just too "rough" or whatever. It helps to realize that films are sold most times on the basis of the stars in them and everything else next. I mean how many times have you recommended a movie to someone and the first thing they ask is "Who's in it?", as if that will make the film worthwhile.)
I'll move on because there are bigger weaknesses that hurt this film more than having non-British actors portray the lead British characters somewhat ineffectively. There are many "whys" in the story. There is not enough time spent on the relationship between Ledger and Hudson so I never really understood the attraction, especially on the part of Ledger's character because Hudson's Ethne has no depth and once she participates in shunning him, its like who cares? drop her. I'm sorry but if you call your soon to be spouse a coward and deeply wound and turn your back on them when they needed one person to support them, you don't love that person. Then there is Ledger's best friend Jack (Bentley), who of course is jealous of Ledger and Hudson's relationship but not enough to do any harm to them or prevent them from being together. Yes, Jack wants Ethne too, but why? I never figured it out. He even wants to be with her more after she gives Harry a feather. What? Jack's his best friend, right? (With friends like these...) The other main character is Abou, played by Djimon Hounsou, who, I'm sorry, but can play this role in his sleep by now (see Amistad, Gladiator, etc.). He is drawn to help Harry (Ledger) and puts himself in danger several times to save his life, but why? Even Harry wonders that until Abou explains "because God put you in my way." I guess after going through all the extreme danger and torture to save Harry, Abou's path was clear and Harry was taken "out of his way" because Abou just walks off casually with one of those facing away waves. Huh? Seriously, we're supposed to believe that such a significant bond between two men who have faced death together several times ends as if all Abou did was help Harry change a tire?
The biggest problem I have with "Four Feathers" is the ending. I won't tell what happens, but I will tell you that saying it had a tacked on happy ending would be putting it very lightly. This ending was so out of place it didnt belong in the same film! It's as if the filmmakers (who I think thought the audience wasnt paying attention through some of the film) wanted the viewer to walk away with this mindless smile on their face. It is amazing the impact the ending of a movie, that last shot, can make on your opinion and experience of the entire film. This film was also well over two hours and there needs to be a "payoff" for that commitment and there wasn't. Honestly, I would let all the other problems go if the ending would have been realistic and respectful of everything that happened before. Hopefully the DVD will have two different endings: the good one that actually makes logical and emotional human sense and this one!

Airheads
Airheads
DVD ~ Brendan Fraser
Offered by clairesbargainrepublic
Price: $20.50
140 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm wanna be a rockstar, but...on my own terms!, September 19, 2002
This review is from: Airheads (DVD)
Finally I have my other favorite Rock and Roll comedy (the other being Spinal Tap, of course)! This movie is hilarious and depicts its characters, music genre, and attitudes in a hilarious but realistic way. Brendan Frasier, Steve Buscemi, and Adam Sandler are Chaz, Rex, and Pip aka "The Lone Rangers" (you can pluralize that?). Anyway they get fed up with never getting any airtime for their song "Degenerated", so they take the KPPX "Rebel Radio" station hostage with plastic uzis filled with hot sauce. I won't give away the rest but hilarity definitely ensues! The three stars are surrounded by hilarious co-stars like Chris Farley ("improvise"), Michael McKean (You can't smoke in here, babe.), Allen Covert (the guy in every Sandler movie!), Judd Nelson (we're making records), Ernie Hudson (a giant plastic baby bottle?), Joe Mantegna (Ian the Shark), Reg E. Cathey (Marcus with the wah wah pedal and afro!), Amy Locane (What the heck happened to my make-up?!), Nina Siemaszko (I like your hair), David Arquette (yall are like woo-hoo and ...), Michael Richards (I don't even have a home, I have a condo), Harold Ramis (Wrong, Lemmy is God!), Lemmy (Editor of the school magazine), Beavis & Butthead (voice only, ...)and others I may have missed!
The DVD is exceptional: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1), Theatrical Trailer, Featurette (made up of clips and fake news coverage), TV Spots, Music Videos for "Born to Raise Hell" by Motorhead (featuring ICE T & Whitfield Crane) and "Feed the Gods" by White Zombie (also performed at a night club in the movie! so Bonus!), 19 Chapter selections, English and French Audio, and English and Spanish subtitles, not to mention a disc with the three AIRHEADS pictured on it! Highly recommended, especially for fans of the cast and pretty much anybody who liked Spinal Tap! Even better than naked pictures of Bea Arthur (I'm just assuming here)!

The Young Ones: Every Stoopid Episode
The Young Ones: Every Stoopid Episode
DVD ~ Rik Mayall
13 used & new from $42.93

5.0 out of 5 stars More Bloody Students? Oh shut up and put some clothes on!, September 19, 2002
The YOUNG ONES ran from 1982 to 1984 and consists of the 12 episodes included here. The show stars Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmondson, Nigel Planer, and Christopher Ryan as Rick, Vyvyan, Neil, and Mike respectively. Alexei Sayle also stars as several members of the Balowski family (one of them being the landlord of their house). The show was brilliantly written by Rik Mayall, Lise Mayer, Alexei Sayle, and last but not least, Ben Elton (co- writer of Black Adder and writer of The Thin Blue Line and Filthy Rich & Catflap). To begin to describe the wackiness, spontaneous combustion, and pure originality of this show is not something I'll do here. You know or you don't, but if you don't and like any other BBC comedies such as Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Father Ted or Absolutely Fabulous, then you will love the Young Ones!
The DVD set is another impressive product from BBC video. The packaging is like the Fawlty Towers or All in the Family tri-fold case. The first series of 6 episodes (Demolition, Oil, Boring, Bomb, Interesting, & FLood) are included on disc 1 (the disc with Vyvyan's attractive face on it), the next series of 6 (Bambi, Cash, Nasty, Sick, Time, & Summer Holiday) are on disc 2 (the one with Neil the Hippie on it), and disc 3 (with el presidente Mike on it) is all extra features including 2 featurettes (with cast and writer interviews), Extensive talent files of all cast, writers, guest stars, and bands that appeared on the show, and best of all the first episode of BOTTOM and the first episode of FILTHY, RICH and CATFLAP. For those who don't know, BOTTOM is a show that ran from 1991 to 1995 and had 18 episodes. It starred Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson (both also wrote) as single and repulsive roommates, Rich Richard and Eddie Hitler, who spend half their time trying to get women and the other half beating each other senseless. Christopher Ryan would later appear on the show as well. The episode included on this disc is the first episode, "SMELLS" and it's hilarious. FILTHY, R & C is a show that ran in 1987 and only had 6 episodes. It also stars Rik and Adrian, but also Nigel Planer as Richard Rich, Ed Catflap, & Ralph Filthy respectively. The show, written by Ben Elton, is about an obnoxious celebrity and two guys that work for him. The episode here is the first episode, "Dead Milkmen". I hope BBC considers bringing out both shows on DVD as they would be nice companions to the Young Ones set. By the way, if you feel bad because Rik isnt on one of the discs, don't, because you'll see his lovely smile on the inside flap everytime you open the case (I've seen it many many times already) Anyway THE YOUNG ONES: Every Stoopid Episode has all 12 uncut episodes (not the MTV versions) with the full beginning song and original end credits (that weren't even available on VHS). All the musical moments from Motorhead to Madness are here as well. Did I mention there are 4 colorful postcards included (one for each YOUNG ONE!) I love this show! "Once in every lifetime, comes a love like this..."
*Trivia: Adrian Edmondson who plays Vyvyan Basterd the orange haired punk with four stars embedded in his forehead is married to Jennifer Saunders (Edina of Ab Fab) and they have 3 children together in real life! She also makes guest appearances in "Interesting" & "Time" on the Young Ones. Adrian also co-sings the Ab Fab theme song and appeared as Hamish in two episodes!
*Trivia: Christopher Ryan who plays Mike thecoolperson can also be seen playing one of Jennifer Saunders' ex-husbands, Marshall, on Ab Fab!
*Trivia: Three of the Young Ones: Rick, Neil, & Vyv, all have mad guest appearances in the Black Adder series. Rik Mayall is the only one to become a recurring character: Lord Flashheart ("Woof, Woof"). Additionally, Black Adder regulars: Tony Robinson (Baldrick), Hugh Laurie (Prince George), Stephen Fry (Melchett), and Robbie Coltrane (Dr. Johnson, Spirit of Christmas) can all be seen in the Young Ones episode "Bambi". Motorhead is also in this episode doing "Ace of Spades"!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2011 12:09 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14