Profile for James H. Shaw > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James H. Shaw "jimshaw" RSS Feed (Louisville KY)

8 Pack Compatible Brother LC-71 , LC-75 2 Black, 2 Cyan, 2 Magenta, 2 Yellow for use with Brother MFC-J280W, MFC-J425W, MFC-J430W, MFC-J435W, MFC-J5910DW, MFC-J625DW, MFC-J6510DW, MFC-J6710DW, MFC-J6910DW, MFC-J825DW, MFC-J835DW. Ink Cartridges for inkjet printers. LC-71BK , LC-71C , LC-71M , LC-71Y , LC-75BK , LC-75C , LC-75M , LC-75Y © Blake Printing Supply
Offered by Blake Printing Supply TM
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, May 14, 2013
I installed two of the replacement cartridges in my budget Brother inkjet printer and they've worked fine right from the beginning. I can't tell any difference between them and "the expensive kind."

10 High Yield Compatible Ink Cartridge Combo, LC75  (4xBk, 2xC, 2xM & 2xY)
10 High Yield Compatible Ink Cartridge Combo, LC75 (4xBk, 2xC, 2xM & 2xY)
Offered by INK4WORK
Price: $7.18
41 used & new from $0.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Brother MFC-J430W, July 12, 2012
I bought a Brother MFC-J430W printer in January and the first of the "starter" cartridges that came with it, the black one, didn't run out of ink until early July, when I replaced it with one of these unbranded replacement cartridges. I didn't know if would be accepted by the printer or not, because several buyers commented that they couldn't get them to work with the Brother MFC-J430W. My printer didn't immediately recognize the new cartridge, but I ejected and reinserted it a couple of times, then it was recognized and has worked perfectly ever since. Nice print quality. I have no complaints, and the price certainly was right.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2013 4:21 AM PDT

Brother MFC-J430W Inkjet All-in-One
Brother MFC-J430W Inkjet All-in-One
Offered by deals_forever
Price: $149.98
14 used & new from $72.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer for the money, March 24, 2012
Update. After using it for three months, I LOVE THIS PRINTER. It does everything it claims to do, and without fuss. I've owned a number of printers dating back to the dot matrix days. The HPs were good, but this Brother printer has so many more capabilities and I haven't had even a single paper jam. It's still running on the "starter" ink supply, although the black is about to run out. (I ordered generic ink replacements cartridges from Amazon, but haven't installed any of them yet.) I used a USB connection to my desktop Mac and a wireless connection from my MacBook. Both connections were relatively easy to set up using the excellent printed manual that comes with the machine.

Brother is a name that may be unfamiliar to many Americans, but it's been famous in Japan since the 1930s for making good sewing machines.

Bottom line: For the price, it's one heck of a printer. --JS 18 May 2012

This Brother printer replaced a Canon mono all-in-one that was so frustrating that I couldn't live with it anymore. The Brother installed easily, via USB cable, on my Mac -- I skipped the wireless installation. (Office Depot wanted $20 for a USB cable; I got one for $4 at Amazon, incl. "free" 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime.)

This printer is quiet and quick and does a good job printing, scanning and copying. (Haven't tried the fax function.) I don't use a printer very much, so it is adequate for my needs. I've only had it three weeks, but so far, I rate it as one of my better recent purchases.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2012 11:04 AM PDT

Normande JS3-729 27W PL Floor Lamp, each, Antique Brass Finish
Normande JS3-729 27W PL Floor Lamp, each, Antique Brass Finish
Price: $82.47
8 used & new from $67.62

4.0 out of 5 stars 26 Jan 2012 Update, December 29, 2011
The bulb issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. I discovered that a common 25W incandescent bulb, available almost anywhere that bulbs are sold, provides light enough for me. However, I did take the precaution of installing a "heat shield" made from aluminum foil between the bulb and the shade. This keeps the metal shade from overheating and also reflects light. So now I'm quite happy with the lamp.
=========================

I was delighted when my Normande floor/reading lamp arrived from Amazon Monday afternoon. It has all the features I wanted: beautifully made with good materials, adjustable, heavy enough so that it won't be knocked over easily, and a bright-but-not-harsh light. And it arrived superbly packed. By Wednesday I was already drafting my five-star review in my head. Then on Thursday I sat down with the morning newspaper and turned the switch and... nothing. The bulb was dead.

This was my second disappointment with a reading lamp. The Normande was a replacement for a cheaper one that I'd bought at Walmart. That bulb also died in less than 10 days and I took the lamp back.

A word about bulbs: Lamp manufacturers typically do NOT provide a warranty on bulbs; only on the hardware. And there's an inexorable trend these days to put exotic compact fluorescent bulbs in lamps, replacing the old incandescent type that have been in use for more than a century. The new bulbs are "energy-saving." But not money-saving, in my experience. Some cost as much as $25. The Grandrich brand lamp from Walmart, for example, used a 27-watt bulb with a four-pin base that Amazon sells for $9.47. (The lamp itself, incidentally, costs $55 at Amazon, $40 at Walmart.)

So, after the bulb in my Normande lamp from Amazon burned out I went looking for a replacement. Although it has a standard screw-in base there are three straight fluorescent tubes--not a type found in neighborhood stores. So I went to a specialty store. They didn't have it in stock, either, but said they could order it. I said I didn't want it if it's going to cost $15--? That's "about" what it would cost, I was told.

I went back home thoroughly unhappy with the situation, but then I had an idea: Would a "regular" 27-watt compact fluorescent bulb work in the lamp? No luck, and I don't know why. Then I tried a regular old incandescent bulb and it lit up! First I tried a 60-watt: too bright. Then a 40-watt: still bright. Then a 25-watt: too dim. I went back to the 40-watt and I'm quite satisfied with it now. So, in the future when I need to replace the bulb, I can get one at the supermarket for a couple of bucks or less.

The message when shopping for a lamp is, I think: first consider what kind of bulb it requires.

Parts Express Flat Cable TV Coaxial Cable Coupler
Parts Express Flat Cable TV Coaxial Cable Coupler
Offered by HiTechCables
Price: $3.96
6 used & new from $1.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, May 27, 2011
I have a couple of these cables that I bought a long time ago but never had a use for until this week. I was skeptical that they would work as advertised, but I needed to run a cable for TV from a back room, along the outside of the house, and into a room on the front side. This seemed much easier for me to do than running cable through the attic and walls. Problem was, I would need to drill a hole through the front wall and install a connector plate inside. Then I remembered these skinny coax cables and figured it was worth a try. I used one through a front window and one through a rear window, connected a 100-ft. cable and turned on the TV. Works fine!

Our windows are the modern aluminum type with thin thermopane glass. The edge of the window sill that the cable has to traverse is rather sharp and crimps the cable, but I still get a good signal through the cable.
Jim -- Louisville KY

Sony MDRRF925RK Wireless Headphone (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony MDRRF925RK Wireless Headphone (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by National Liquidation
Price: $128.99
17 used & new from $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm pleased with these headphones, May 1, 2011
After a week of use I'm pleased with the performance of these headphones, purchased from Amazon and delivered in two days using Amazon Prime. Sound quality is fine, they fit comfortably, and there hasn't been a problem with the conduction (induction?) charging system. No problems with interference or fading signal, but then I only use them in front of the TV. They turned out to be bulkier and heavier than I expected, but then I should've paid more attention to the specs. Also, I'm spoiled after having some great Sony lightweight rechargeable headphones (MDR-IF5K, no longer available) that have lasted nineteen years so far, with the original battery. (Another pair, same model, gave up after fifteen years.) But then they're infrared, with a narrow transmit band, not like my new ones which cover a broad spectrum.

Griffin RocketFM / FM Transmitter for Mac and PC Computers
Griffin RocketFM / FM Transmitter for Mac and PC Computers
3 used & new from $70.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device, June 29, 2010
I've used a Rocket FM for 5 or 6 years and totally depend on it. My stereo system is just 10 feet from my Mac G5 tower, but for some reason I wasn't able to rout streaming audio from my Mac to the Denon receiver using a cable. The Rocket FM solved the problem.

The signal quality sounds OK to me -- but my ancient ears aren't very discerning. (I've probably lost 30 pct. of my hearing, or more.) The Luxman receiver in the living room, 40 ft. away, also picks up the Rocket FM signal, through 2 or 3 walls.

The setup for Mac is dead simple. Placement and alignment of the transmitter makes a big difference in sound quality, but it's a simple matter to redirect it for maximum output.

This little unit has been a blessing to me and at $30 it was a great bargain. Wonder why Griffin quit making it?
Jim

Panasonic RF-P50 Pocket AM/FM Radio, Silver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Panasonic RF-P50 Pocket AM/FM Radio, Silver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Hidden Treasure Boutique
Price: $17.31
17 used & new from $14.15

1.0 out of 5 stars Great radio -- if it ever arrives!, May 18, 2010
I ordered this little Panasonic pocket radio on April 16 because it had good reviews. It wasn't until later I noticed that Amazon stated that shipment wouldn't be made until "May 6 - May 17," a month after I placed the order. So today, May 18th, I expected to be notified that the radio had been shipped. Alas, no. Now the estimate is from June to July 17th! What kind of service is this??? I expected better from Amazon. So it's only a little $9.95 item, they still should either deliver or not offer it for sale.
Jim, New Bern, North Carolina
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2011 8:31 AM PDT

AcomData HD500UFAPE5-72 500 GB 3.5-Inch USB 2.0/FireWire A Combo
AcomData HD500UFAPE5-72 500 GB 3.5-Inch USB 2.0/FireWire A Combo

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, December 1, 2008
This was my second purchase of an AcomData Firewire drive. Both are quiet and cool and fast enough for my purposes. I use one only for backup of music files and the other for cloning my main Mac hard drive once or twice a month (alternating with a 5-yr-old LaCie drive). Used this way they should last a long time. I think AcomData drives, at Amazon prices, are good bargains.