Profile for Jennifer Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jennifer Smith "Star Trek Fan" RSS Feed (Virginia, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Becoming a Great Gospel Teacher: Bringing the Gospel Classroom to Life
Becoming a Great Gospel Teacher: Bringing the Gospel Classroom to Life
by Robert I. Eaton
24 used & new from $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, December 1, 2012
This book was written with the intent of persuading teachers to stop lecturing and move to a more collaborative learning process. It's written by a former attorney in a LABORIOUS question and answer format that gets old about halfway through the book. If you consider yourself an "old-style" or "very strict" teacher, this may help you. The book does not contain much in the way of practical, how to handle a problem advice. It's really just to persuade you to adapt your teaching style.

This book may become more popular with the new Come, Follow Me curriculum, but if you already have a heavy focus on student participation in your classroom, this book will not be very helpful.

Stop Struggling, Start Teaching
Stop Struggling, Start Teaching
by Katie Van Dyke
Price: $8.99
21 used & new from $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good LDS teacher resource, December 1, 2012
I have bought and read several books on teaching targeting the LDS market. This one was surprisingly helpful. The beginning of the book was good, but the end section on handling problems and classroom management was surprisingly helpful. This book is full of practical advice, and I'm glad I bought it.

A Song of Ice and Fire, (4 Vols.): A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings / A Storm of Swords / A Feast for Crows
by George R. R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
42 used & new from $16.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Smutty, March 27, 2012
I suppose I'm a prude, but I was shocked at how smutty this book does. What is this guy's thing about nipples? Wow. I can tolerate some nastiness -- after all, you need something evil for good to over come -- but this is way over the top.

The rape and sodomy and incest and violence and over all horribleness was too much for me. I finally quit reading halfway through the second book. It was hard to stop reading because the book is well written and fairly well paced considering the multiple storylines. It's just to dirty for me.

200 Half Sheet Shipping Labels for Laser/InkJet 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" (Same size as Avery 5126)
Offered by 975 Supply
Price: $9.50
13 used & new from $5.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, November 15, 2011
I use these labels daily with USPS Print and Ship online. They work great and stick well. I use an old HP laser printer and have never had one stick in the printer.

I satisfied and am re-ordering.

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer for Medium Skin Tones, 7.5-Ounce Tubes
Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer for Medium Skin Tones, 7.5-Ounce Tubes
Price: $8.12
8 used & new from $2.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Great color, sticky residue, July 9, 2011
The color you get with Jergens' products is great -- not orange on my yellow/blue based fair skintone. However, the stuff leaves a sticky residue on your skin. The Jergens' express is much better and doesn't leave the residue. Dove smells much better, but the color isn't as good. I'm still looking for the holy grail of self tanners, and this isn't it.

Libman Microfiber Floor Mop Refill
Libman Microfiber Floor Mop Refill
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $12.09
6 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mop for manufactured floors, August 2, 2010
I have tried just about every mop on the market. This one is the best for manufactured wood floors. Try it with Mop N Glo for Wood Floors for an awesome shine.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied., November 13, 2009
I placed my order with [...] and then found these reviews.

PANIC!

I got my order for standard 4x6 double sided postcards today and am satisfied with the result (not to mention relieved). I placed the order Monday, and I received this order on Friday. I did pay for the "priority" printing.

I used the same documents that I had printed at PSPrint a month earlier to Overnight Prints. For those of you comparing the two, the card stock Overnight Prints uses is not as thick as what PSPrint uses. Overnight Prints' overcoat is MUCH glossier than PSPrint's "glossy" (which is really more like satin) finish. Though I used the same files with both companies, I think the print quality was better, imo, at Overnight Prints. The cards from Overnight Prints did not have jaggy text like the PSPrint ones (no idea why -- since it was .eps outlines I sent to both companies), and the color was truer at Overnight. Cutting was better from PSPrint. PSPrint had a far longer turn around time. While I did not deal with customer service at overnight, I have dealt with PSprint's customer service -- and they suck. Guess all print places are that way....

With all these online printers, you have to know not to hold yourself to a tight deadline. When the deadline is within 3 days, you need to go local. If things need to be "perfect" -- order proofs. If you have the leisure to have things printed more slowly or less than "perfect", then don't shy away from these online print companies. The price savings is worth it for my small business.

The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
by Merrilee Browne Boyack
Price: $14.76
55 used & new from $4.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money and time, September 1, 2009
The arrogant tone of this book, written by a maid-hiring kid slave driver, irritated me in the extreme. Not all of us can be lawyers that hire maids and make our kids do most of the housework. This book is a joke, and even the author can't follow all her own advice.

This book lays out a plan for training your kids to be independent by certain ages. If you already have grown kids, this book will be of no use to you. If you have very small kids, you'll either feel intimidated by the do-it-or-you're-a-bad-parent style, or you'll feel great that your kids are so awesome because they can cook an egg alone (!). And if you've got kids in between, you're likely to feel like a failure.

The author's arrogance made this book almost insufferable. There's nothing new here, unless you really want to have a list of "what your kid should know by age x" written by a parent who clearly has no intention of actually working in the home herself -- instead she hires a maid to do what ever chores the kids can't do at their current ages.

I'd give it 1 star, but we are using her idea of the monthly allowance and matching savings with success.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2013 11:30 PM PST

Eyewitness Workbooks: Earth (DK Eyewitness Workbooks)
Eyewitness Workbooks: Earth (DK Eyewitness Workbooks)
by Inka Mareila
18 used & new from $0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Another sorry excuse for a workbook, July 7, 2009
I bought a number of workbooks from several series for my children to work with over the summer. DK workbooks (which were inferior in every way and I returned all 4), the Complete Book series, the Scholastic Success series (which are really intended for in-school supplementation but were okay for use over the summer), and the Spectrum series. The Spectrum and Complete Book Of series were superior in every way to the other workbooks and I will order from them again next summer.

DK should be ashamed for calling these "workbooks". These books attempt to follow the DK factoid style, but fail miserably. There is so much information in the book that there is no room for actual work on the 20 or so pages. The questions in the workbook sections require no more than a spin of the wheel (which is usually the only place the information resides, btw) and a single-word regurgitative response.

Not recommended for homeschoolers or summer study. Might be an acceptable in class reference, but even that is doubtful.

Nonfiction Reading Comprehension: Social Studies, Grades 2-3
Nonfiction Reading Comprehension: Social Studies, Grades 2-3
by Ruth Foster
Price: $13.21
21 used & new from $6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Kills 2 birds with one stone, July 7, 2009
This workbook is a collection of random articles related to politics, society, and history. Chosen specifically for their fun factor, this is a good way to introduce children to nonfiction reading. For each story, there is a vocabulary page (with no definitions), and a fill-in-the-bubble test. This is a good way to test your child's reading comprehension while keeping them from getting bored by nonfiction subject matter, AND they'll learn some history and fun facts, too.

I was satisfied with the purchase. I'd recommend it for in-school enrichment and homeschooling.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3