Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Profile for Pard > Reviews

Browse

Pard's Profile

Customer Reviews: 123

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pard ""Somewhere in the High Sierra"" RSS Feed (Maryland, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Wigwam Men's King Crew Athletic Socks
Wigwam Men's King Crew Athletic Socks
Price: $6.30 - $18.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of problems with these, April 30, 2016
Not a big fan of these, I bought 3 pair but they fit loose plus they put that dumb plastic wire connector through the socks.

Of course, the hole where the connector went through expands over time after each washing, now each sock has a dime-sized hole in it. And I did cut the plastic wire first with a scissor before taking the socks apart.

Also, the elastic along the top unraveled after 2 washings, now the tops of the socks don't hold and they look pretty bad. And finally, like others have said, the knit is pretty thick -- too thick for the little polyester in the weave to hold the socks up, especially since the size runs loose anyway.

Would not buy these again.

Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger
Offered by alwayz-on-sale
Price: $16.99
9 used & new from $13.88

2.0 out of 5 stars Wiring broke too quickly, April 2, 2016
I used it twice for a few minutes each. The wiring pulled out of the back of the adapter, the rubber bumper that's supposed to hold the wiring came out of the plastic body of the charger. I no longer have the packaging or receipt, so I guess I'm out of luck. Very disappointed but otherwise as far as I can tell, it's basically a phone charger, it does not have the Quick Charge 2.0 function I was hoping for.

BLU Life One X - 4G LTE Smartphone - GSM Unlocked - Black
BLU Life One X - 4G LTE Smartphone - GSM Unlocked - Black
Price: $149.99
23 used & new from $127.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice phone with a terrible sound system, February 27, 2016
Bottom line: I like everything about it but both speakers are so bad, I had to return it.

Background

I don't like spending a lot of money on a phone, I was using a Lumia 640 but decided to jump back to Android.

The BLU Life One X was impressive, it's very thin and the "leather" like back helps the grip, much more than my super-slippery Lumia 640.

The screen is fantastic, very sharp with excellent colors, way better than the Lumia 640. The higher quality photos look almost 3D because they're so sharp.

I have zero complaints about the screen, I'm not sure how any phone could have one better. Also, the screen can be made very bright, brighter than any other cell phone I've ever used.

The Life One X is fast enough, no problems for me, although I'm not a gamer.

It's nearly pure Android 5.1, definitely a plus. A couple of apps added and actually the Blu launcher isn't bad, but I installed the Google launcher.

It's very thin, it weighs 142 grams, it's also a dual SIM phone, I never needed that feature but it's there.

The touchscreen seemed sensitive but there's a setting for low, med and high and I changed it to medium and it seems better.

The phone is also very easy to hold in one hand, although I'm not a good one-hander anyway with phones. It does seem kind of tall and narrow though, not quite 16:9 when you hold it horizontal.

The speaker is in the back and the volume can't be made loud enough for me and conversations are very muffled, which is the biggest disappointment. But people on the other end say it sounds fine.

Battery life is very good, I uninstalled as many apps as I can and I use the mobile website versions, it makes a big difference.

I also uninstalled the home screen wallpaper and am just using pure black on the home screen. I miss not having the announcements that display on the blank screen on the Lumia 640 when it's in sleep mode.

The phone received an update from BLU the second time I turned it on. The only thing I notice is that sometimes if I go to move an icon, the phone won't take a long press, it immediately opens the icon. But if I open some other app, then close it and go back to the home screen, the long press then allows me to move the icon. Not sure what's up with that, I'll keep an eye on it.

I couldn't get the Android "Smart Lock" system to work correctly. This is where you can set it to not require a password when you're at home or a specific location. But it is inconsistent; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I bought a phone blocking app to block spam nuisance calls; that feature is part of the Windows phone system and it works really well, you don't need an app, it's built in. Also, Google's new Messenger texting app is nowhere near as good as the built-in texting app in the Windows phone. Oh well...

I would have kept it but after a couple of weeks, I just can not live with the sound quality on the BLU Life One X. I like to use the phone on speaker and the speaker on this one sounds so muffled that I have a really hard time understanding what the other person is saying. That's ridiculous, considering the tiny 2 mm single hole on my Lumia 640 had much better and clearer sound.

There's a much wider horizontal opening on the back of the Life One X so the speaker should be much better. BLU needs to work on that and then they'd have pretty much perfection.

I've tried it with and without the sound clarifying feature on and off and it's maybe a tiny bit better with it off. This is really the most disappointing aspect of this phone.

I mean, how hard is it nowadays to include a half-way decent speaker so you can hear a phone conversation? I have to get everyone to repeat about every other sentence, it's really bad.

I didn't want to spend the money, but ordered a Motorola Moto X Pure Edition instead from Amazon, very sorry the BLU phone didn't work out for me because I like everything about it but the sound.

MotoBatt MBMAP 21" 18AWG Cable Lead
MotoBatt MBMAP 21" 18AWG Cable Lead
Price: $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly and at a good price., February 9, 2016
It took me a long time to find this type of SAE to Powerlet type connector (Euro style accessory outlet on motorcycles). This one works perfectly, I can connect my Battery Tender to my BMW and other motorcycles that have the Euro style outlet. I'm not sure what the red removable ring is for that it comes with, I'm guessing it's an adapter so you can fit the plug into a standard American-style cigarette lighter outlet? But otherwise, this works perfectly and it's cheap enough.

Keytronic Inc Lifetime Classic-P2 Keyboard Ps/2 104 Keys Black Windows Compatible Space-Saving
Offered by AZPerfume
Price: $41.03
6 used & new from $41.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, nice layout and pretty reliable, January 29, 2016
I bought 3 of these, been using them for years. I'm a typist only, not a gamer. I manage a website so I'm at this keyboard many hours each day, writing articles.

I've actually worn through 2 of them, it took many years but one started having trouble with a few of the keys and the other I wore through with my fingertips on the space bar, A and F keys, believe it or not!

It's extremely difficult to review a keyboard because they are such a personal thing. I used to have one of the classic IBM model M keyboards I used before this but wore that out also. The KeyTronic is a decent replacement, the keys don't have a click sound, so it's fairy quiet as far as keyboards go. Probably like the Cherry MX "clear" keys? I don't know -- never used a Cherry MX keyboard as far as I know...

You do have to press all the way down on the KeyTronic keys to get them to register, which some people may not like. There's a first point very close to the top, as soon as you start to press the key, where you can feel the resistance. Then it goes all the way to the bottom.

I don't know how much force is needed but I'd guess it's a mid-range Cherry MX type, from what I've read.

The key spacing is good, I measure 20 mm between centers. The keyboard measures 457 mm wide (18" exactly) and 170 mm front-to-back. Mine still uses a PS2 connector, which is a pain, my next keyboard will have a USB or Bluetooth.

Not sure what else I can say, I'm not sure they're still making these KeyTronic Lifetime series keyboards any more. I'd buy one again and the price is definitely good, but I will probably look at one of the mechanical types instead. I definitely want to keep exactly the same key layout though on my next one, I'm very used to it and don't feel like changing!

So bottom line, I can recommend this keyboard and the price is very good for what you get and they last a long time (not many people beat on them for hours a day like I do).

Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (NEW 3rd. Gen)
Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (NEW 3rd. Gen)
Offered by sakura-blossom-jp
Price: $17.98
17 used & new from $17.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Not JIS!, January 10, 2016
These are NOT JIS screwdrivers! In fact, if you go to the Hozan Tools website and look up the part numbers, you will find these are listed as Phillips screwdrivers, there is zero reference to JIS screwdrivers in the description for these.

Let me put it another way: the modern Phillips tool bits are either machined or ground and made without the old Phillips "curve" to the sides of the flutes that made the Phillips "cam out" on torque. Most new Phillips bits and screwdriver tips are made with straight flutes, so they work as both standard Phillips and JIS screwdrivers.

I actually talked to a Vessel Japan representative who told me they no longer make JIS only screwdrivers because their Phillips screwdrivers will also work as JIS.

There is no reference to JIS on the Hozan website; they list these screwdrivers as Phillips. BUT, the tips are pressed (these Hozan screwdrivers are the cheaper type so the tips are not ground or machined) with straight flutes. So they will work as both Phillips and JIS.

I don't believe there are any real old-style JIS-only screwdrivers or bits made any more and I have bought plenty just to see, screwdrivers that are claimed to be JIS but really aren't.

Is this a problem? Not really, because the modern grinds mean that if the manufacturer does a good job, the "Phillips" screwdriver will also work in JIS screws.

NOTE: I took detailed measurements and photos and the Hozan screwdrivers appear to be identical to a modern set of straight-fluted Phillips 0, 1 and 2 screwdrivers.

Also, these are very basic screwdrivers, with cheap plastic molded handles. They'll work as Phillips screwdrivers, but don't expect Snap-On type quality.

Very disappointed that there are apparently no more JIS screwdrivers anywhere, I have purchased bits and screwdrivers that claim to be JIS but aren't. Which tells me that there really isn't any difference after all.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2016 4:16 PM PST

Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Price: $179.99
63 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for photo editing and general web work, April 13, 2015
Everything has pretty much been said about the S2415H. My old Dell LED monitor lasted for about 7 years, then quickly went into a death spiral with yellow whites and red and green bands showing overnight. I needed another monitor asap; I use it strictly for photo editing and web management. Found the S2415H in a local store and compared it "live" to several other monitors from LG, Samsung, HP and Dell and I have to say, the S2415H beat them all.

I don't mind the glossy screen because it yields better (sharper) details for photo editing compared to the matte screens. It's also nice and bright. I have mine recessed in a cubby on the desk that just barely fits the 24 inches, and this hides most of the reflections.

As many others reported, I was dismayed to bring the monitor home and find it only had DVI and VGA ports. I had to run back to the store to get an adapter, but be careful -- the port is in a recess in back of the monitor, so not all of the adapters fit. Also, no USB ports on the monitor; I had a few on my old Dell and they came in handy for connecting various devices.

The S2415 doesn't adjust up and down but neither did my old Dell monitor and very few seem to have that capability nowadays. None of the monitors I compared this to in the store had vertical adjustment either.

Been using it for about 3 weeks and I really like it, the whites are whiter than I ever had on the old Dell monitor and the colors are very accurate without the oversaturation and too much contrast in most monitors today. I'd say it's excellent for photo editing for web work. So overall, I'm very pleased.

I also like the fact that there's near zero bezel on the sides and top. I measure it at 6 mm (0.244 inches).

Pit Posse PP2585 Motorcycle Tool Rear Axle Wrench 36mm Buell Harley Davidson
Pit Posse PP2585 Motorcycle Tool Rear Axle Wrench 36mm Buell Harley Davidson
Offered by Boss Powersports Outlet
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $19.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but kind of thick, March 23, 2015
Didn't fit the nut like I thought, it's the right size but too thick for my use.

WeatherTech 110010-120010 Mud Flap
WeatherTech 110010-120010 Mud Flap
Offered by gearhub
Price: $74.84
69 used & new from $53.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good, basic looks, March 23, 2015
Works fine, fairly easy to install with no drilling like they say. Still doesn't block all the mud hitting the side of my Silverado though. Good quality, basic industrial style looks. Probably would buy again.

DKnight Magicbox Ultra-Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Single) (Black)
DKnight Magicbox Ultra-Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Single) (Black)
Offered by DKNIGHT INC
Price: $23.99
11 used & new from $20.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but disappointed with sound quality, March 23, 2015
Sound quality kind of tinny but gets a little better if you can mount it with a backing. Bluetooth works fine. Battery seems to last pretty long. The mic port allows cell phone conversations, which is good. I use it in my truck. The volume buttons don't seem to do much on it though so I use the volume on my phone when streaming music. Probably wouldn't buy it again though, the sound quality just isn't very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13