Profile for Pard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 117

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pard ""Somewhere in the High Sierra"" RSS Feed (Maryland, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Price: $189.99
51 used & new from $176.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for photo editing and general web work, April 13, 2015
Everything has pretty much been said about the S2415H. My old Dell LED monitor lasted for about 7 years, then quickly went into a death spiral with yellow whites and red and green bands showing overnight. I needed another monitor asap; I use it strictly for photo editing and web management. Found the S2415H in a local store and compared it "live" to several other monitors from LG, Samsung, HP and Dell and I have to say, the S2415H beat them all.

I don't mind the glossy screen because it yields better (sharper) details for photo editing compared to the matte screens. It's also nice and bright. I have mine recessed in a cubby on the desk that just barely fits the 24 inches, and this hides most of the reflections.

As many others reported, I was dismayed to bring the monitor home and find it only had DVI and VGA ports. I had to run back to the store to get an adapter, but be careful -- the port is in a recess in back of the monitor, so not all of the adapters fit. Also, no USB ports on the monitor; I had a few on my old Dell and they came in handy for connecting various devices.

The S2415 doesn't adjust up and down but neither did my old Dell monitor and very few seem to have that capability nowadays. None of the monitors I compared this to in the store had vertical adjustment either.

Been using it for about 3 weeks and I really like it, the whites are whiter than I ever had on the old Dell monitor and the colors are very accurate without the oversaturation and too much contrast in most monitors today. I'd say it's excellent for photo editing for web work. So overall, I'm very pleased.

I also like the fact that there's near zero bezel on the sides and top. I measure it at 6 mm (0.244 inches).

Pit Posse PP2585 Motorcycle Tool Rear Axle Wrench 36mm Buell Harley Davidson
Pit Posse PP2585 Motorcycle Tool Rear Axle Wrench 36mm Buell Harley Davidson
Offered by E & I Motorsports
Price: $19.88
2 used & new from $19.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but kind of thick, March 23, 2015
Didn't fit the nut like I thought, it's the right size but too thick for my use.

WeatherTech 110010-120010 Mud Flap
WeatherTech 110010-120010 Mud Flap
Offered by Lead Feet Performance
Price: $79.90
44 used & new from $79.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good, basic looks, March 23, 2015
Works fine, fairly easy to install with no drilling like they say. Still doesn't block all the mud hitting the side of my Silverado though. Good quality, basic industrial style looks. Probably would buy again.

DKnight Magicbox Ultra-Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker,Powerful Sound with build in Microphone, Works for Iphone, Ipad Mini, Ipad 4/3/2, Itouch, Blackberry, Nexus, Samsung and other Smart Phones and Mp3 Players [Upgraded with standard "Beep" sound prompts ] (Black)
Offered by DKNIGHT INC
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $27.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but disappointed with sound quality, March 23, 2015
Sound quality kind of tinny but gets a little better if you can mount it with a backing. Bluetooth works fine. Battery seems to last pretty long. The mic port allows cell phone conversations, which is good. I use it in my truck. The volume buttons don't seem to do much on it though so I use the volume on my phone when streaming music. Probably wouldn't buy it again though, the sound quality just isn't very good.

SilverStone Technology 3.5-Inch to 2 X 2.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive HDD / SSD Bay Converter, Silver (SDP08)
Price: $11.60
14 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, heavy duty, here's a tip on the screws, March 23, 2015
Heavy duty and works fine. You can't use a magnetic screwdriver because the tiny screws are stainless steel (probably shouldn't use magnets around computers anyway).

So here's the tip: I put the tiniest dab of heat sink paste on the tip of the screwdriver. It was enough to hold the tiny screw so I could get it through the hole in the side of the adapter and into the SSD. You could use something like hand cream, grease, or maybe even a tiny bit of dishwashing soap. Just enough to hold the tiny screw on the tip of the screwdriver. Once you screw them in, it's easy to wipe the small amount off the head of the screws.

Link Depot 6-Feet E-SATA to SATA 3Gbps Cable, Blue (ESATA-SATA-6BU)
Link Depot 6-Feet E-SATA to SATA 3Gbps Cable, Blue (ESATA-SATA-6BU)
Offered by CablesOnline
Price: $9.25
4 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, good quality, no problems, March 23, 2015
Works fine, nice and heavy-duty with a thick coating on the cable. Comes with plastic caps for either end, of course I lost one immediately but used the other to cover the un-connected end. Worked perfectly fine to clone an SSD using the NewerTech adapter.

Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW)
Samsung 850 Pro 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW)
Price: Click here to see our price
102 used & new from $421.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, not too hard to install, March 23, 2015
Works great, was fairly easy to clone and install and, to be honest, I was very happily pleased when I started up the computer again after the cloning and...it worked!

Couple of tips they don't tell you about: first of all, be sure to disable Windows updates before cloning! I hadn't read about this before and during the 6 or so hours it took to clone, there was a Windows update I didn't know about. I saw it when the cloning was done and the Windows notice came up. When I installed the Samsung 850 EVO Pro SSD, the computer immediately tried to update with the downloaded Windows software. It took a few tries of turning on and off before I got it to run. I sweated it out there for a while. Anyway, my advice is to turn off Windows updates right before you clone (but make sure you check manually for any updates and get them installed before you start).

Also, I did a Windows disk cleanup before cloning, there was a huge amount of junk Windows removed. Then I did a defragmentation. I rebooted the standard HD and checked everything again before starting to clone. And did 2 full backups on other disks just in case.

Samsung includes a CD-ROM with the cloning software and something called the Samsung Magician, which is an SSD utility. It worked fine and was easy to install and understand. You have to connect the SSD first to the computer you're going to clone or the software won't install correctly.

Samsung instructions show a SATA to USB connector cable but it wasn't included with my 850 EVO Pro. I used a USB Universal Drive Adapter. I connected one end to an eSATA port in back of the computer using a separately purchased eSATA-to-SATA cable. I connected the other end to the SATA connector on the Samsung SSD. Then I used the NewerTech power connector to connect to the power connector on the Samsung SSD.

The reason I did this is I don't have a USB 3.0 on my older tower desktop. It worked fine and was probably faster than using one of my USB 2.0 ports. I was also thinking I'd simply disconnect my second standard HD and use the SATA and power connectors on the Samsung SSD to clone. I think that would work fine and might be faster if you have 2 hard disks.

I also bought a metal drive bay adapter. Works fine, but it's a bear to get the tiny screws into the Samsung SSD. I mounted the SSD in the adapter while the computer was degragging. You can't use a magnetic screwdriver because the tiny screws are stainless steel (probably shouldn't use magnets around computers anyway).

I'll be honest, I didn't ground myself when mounting the SSD. I was careful not to touch any connectors. My computer is easy to remove a panel on one side. The hard disks are in a two-bay drive towards the front, I had to remove two small screws that hold the HP dual hard disk tray, then press a metal lever release, then the tray with the 2 disks moves up and out. I disconnected both SATA and power connectors on each HD. Then removed the tiny screws that hold the enterprise disk I had in the HP. Slide in the adapter with the Samsung SSD installed, put in the screws, re-attach the SATA and power connectors and re-insert the HP hard disk tray.

The adapter tray will actually hold 2 SSD's if you want, although the screw holes on the bottom of the tray are a bit too close to the bottom of the tray, you have to flip the SSD over and it makes a tight fit for the connectors. Since I don't anticipate ever needing a second SSD in the tray (and don't have the motherboard connectors for it anyway), I mounted the SSD in the middle position in the tray, figuring that gives it better air circulation anyway.

I buttoned everything up, re-connected the power and my USB, monitor and speaker cables, turned on the computer and it started. A miracle! Other than messing with the Windows update issue, it was smooth sailing.

Conclusion
I needed to replace my older enterprise HD anyway, it was working fine but about 4-5 years old with daily multi-hour use, so I was worried it might fail. Although my older computer doesn't have the most up-to-date SATA, motherboard or even USB 3.0, the difference is noticeable with the SSD, but not knock-your-socks-off dramatic. I'm going more for the reliability anyway, there was a recent test that showed the Samsung EVO 850 Pro 1TB working fine for 2.5 petabytes of read/writes. That should keep me for a while...

Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
Mr. Heater MH18B, Portable Propane Heater
Price: $143.66
69 used & new from $99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as much heat as kerosene and there are a few catches to using it, March 18, 2015
It's ok, puts out slightly less heat than my large tower-style kerosene wick heater. The Mr. Heater smells less but I feel like I'm going to blow myself up with it each time I use it. I learned after I bought it that you're not supposed to bring a large propane tank in the garage with the Mr. Heater, they don't tell you that up front. So all you can use inside is the small screw-in one-pound tanks and by the way, you have to remove them each time when you're done. So it's more of a pain then they lead you to believe. Make sure you read the owner's manual first.

I use it but it's just a lot easier to use the kerosene heater, which puts out more heat faster and although "safe" is a relative term, I believe having the un-pressurized kerosene in the base of the kerosene heater is safer than the pressurized propane tanks. Since technically you can't use a large propane tank anywhere other than outdoors with the Mr. Heater, that's a big problem also. Would not buy it again if I had the chance.

Presto 02822 6-Cup Stainless-Steel Coffee Percolator
Presto 02822 6-Cup Stainless-Steel Coffee Percolator
Price: $36.93
62 used & new from $26.06

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe it, this thing is obsolete., March 18, 2015
Can't believe the raves for this thing, I did believe it and bought one.

You're being taken for a ride folks; "trolled" is the word for it. This thing is a waste of time and money. It's yestertech; do yahself a favah and fuhgeddaboudit.

First of all, you have to wash 4 pieces each time, don't forget that. Then the filters they give you to line the steel mesh coffee holder are absolutely absurd -- they measure like 8" square and there's absolutely no way you can fit it all on the stem and into the mesh coffee holder and still fit more than about 3 tbsp. of coffee in there. Then, the coffee tastes like burnt rubber.

The thing is made well, I'll give it that. But I'll stick with my old el cheapo 5 cup Mr. Coffee, thank you very much. It's a heck of a lot easier and makes much better coffee and takes near zero maintenance. Good thing I didn't chuck it, I actually threw out the Presto coffee maker after trying it 3 times, just no way am I going to mess with this thing, it's not the '50's any more.

GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Mini Bluetooth FM Transmitter Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling , USB Charging & Music Controls - Works with Apple iPhone 6 , LG G3 , HTC One E8 , Motorola Droid Turbo , Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and More Smartphones
Offered by BuySPRY
Price: $42.99
15 used & new from $37.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked good for a couple of years, February 25, 2015
Worked well for a couple of years but for some reason the connection to the car radio gets a lot of static now, making it unusable. Otherwise, it worked OK for an older car that has a cigarette lighter outlet and FM radio. When it worked, people could hear me well on the phone call, although I'd have to really crank up the volume on the car's speaker to hear them. Never had any problems connecting to it with Bluetooth on the cell phone. I just bought a small Bluetooth speaker with built-in mic that I'm going to use in the car instead, this way I don't have to depend on a Bluetooth connection to a radio channel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12