Profile for Pard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 101

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pard ""Somewhere in the High Sierra"" RSS Feed (Maryland, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Schick ST2, FitStyle for Him, 12 Count
Schick ST2, FitStyle for Him, 12 Count
Price: $7.29
4 used & new from $7.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Blades feel dull when new, December 13, 2014
Tried these recently just for kicks, I'm pretty much sold on Gillette Sensor 2 but wanted to see if there was anything new. The Schick ST2 (orange version) is too lightweight and the blades all feel like the Gillettes do after about 3 shaves; in other words, the Schick ST2 blades just feel duller even when brand new.

Also, the ST2 head seems very thin vertically. This helps when shaving under the nose but the shave cream has to be cleaned off more frequently. The push-button blade cleaner in the ST2 isn't a very useful feature in my opinion and I agree with others, the lube strip hardly lasts a single shave.

Bottom line: forget these, try the Gillette Sensor 2 if you're looking for a cheap shave. I buy the Gillettes in bulk and each razor lasts 3-5 shaves and the blades feel much sharper than the Schick.

I have no connection with either company, just a cheapskate who hates to spend the ridiculously big bucks on razor blades and who thinks the 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. blade combinations are a joke.

Gillette Sensor2 Plus Pivot Men's Disposable Razor ,10 count (Pack of 3)(Packaging may vary)

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best razor value/performance you'll find, December 13, 2014
Like everyone else, I was looking for a cheaper way to shave. I've gone through about 100 of these so far and I've tried many other disposables and these are about the best value/performance for the price.

Basically the only issue is that I feel guilty about the disposable issue.

The only thing is that the batches can have somewhat different quality. Sometimes the razor will last me 3-5 shaves and other times it seems like they're dull after 2 shaves. I figure this has to do with the manufacturing tolerances.

Otherwise, this is my go-to razor for home and travel. Haven't found anything else anywhere near the price that's as good.

BTW, I have a 'normal' beard, shave at normal intervals except maybe on the weekends. I use the cheap plain Barbasol cream in a can for heavy days and Palmolive or Proraso tubes on other days and for travel.

FIDO U2F Security Key
FIDO U2F Security Key

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend more and get more, November 7, 2014
Seems very flimsy to me and the gold plated leads became very indented on the first use. Hard to recommend, I should have spent more and got one with better build quality. This one just seems like after a few uses it may fail.

Ricoh WG-M1 Orange Waterproof Action Video Camera with 1.5-Inch LCD (Orange)
Ricoh WG-M1 Orange Waterproof Action Video Camera with 1.5-Inch LCD (Orange)
13 used & new from $164.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality video in a rugged body, November 7, 2014
I have one in orange and have been playing with it for a couple of weeks. It takes excellent quality video for an action camera, about the equal of my GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition.

The video is smooth, sharp and exposure is very good, although when viewed at larger sizes (i.e. full size desktop computer screen and above), I can see some "graininess" and pixelation and artifacts in the moving video. Also, the details along the sides lose sharpness. But overall, it's among the best of the action cameras I've used. On larger screen sizes, the problems become more apparent, however.

The build is rugged but the shape is definitely different. It has a metal tripod mount underneath but I haven't found a way to mount it on a helmet securely and it can't be chest mounted like a GoPro. Maybe shoulder mounted?

There aren't a lot of instructions yet from Ricoh/Pentax, the owner's manual comes on a CD-ROM and as of today I couldn't find a downloadable version of it. There's very little info on the free app you can download for your smartphone, but I figured it out and it works ok. Note that the PSK number that comes up on the screen is actually the password and this changes; occasionally I've had to re-enter the password to get a connection. But otherwise, it seems to connect with no problems.

The app is limited, unlike other action cameras like the Blackvue Sport. The WG-M1 app allows you to start/stop video, switch to still photos (actually the still photos are very good quality for an action camera) and change white balance and resolution.

The rest of the changes can be made in the menu system on the camera in the live view window. The menu is fairly easy to navigate, if you've had any experience with action cameras you probably won't need to read the owner's manual anyway.

I haven't tested it for waterproof-ness yet; you need to remove the separate lens protector and replace it with the waterproof lens protector that comes in the kit and then the camera is supposed to be waterproof. But the gasket inside the battery compartment door is very thin, I hope it holds.

Mounting options are limited, and this is the "Achilles heel" of most action cameras.

But overall, the video quality and build quality is excellent, so if you can live with the form factor, this may be a good alternative to what I think is the clumsy GoPro with waterproof housing approach.

Not sure what else I can say about it other than the WG-M1 seems expensive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2014 8:38 AM PST

Creative D100 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Creative D100 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Price: $39.35
64 used & new from $25.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for what it is, but here's a tip to make it better, January 24, 2014
Finally got tired of researching the too many options for Bluetooth speakers. I wanted something simple but good to listen to music when I'm working around the house, working in the garage, etc. I finally decided on the D100, it arrived pretty fast, I unpacked it, stuck in the four AA's, paired it with my HTC One Google Edition (took 2 tries for some reason) and fired it up.

You have to make sure the volume on your phone or device is raised. The speaker has pretty good volume at max; it won't blow your ears off by any means, but it's ok for a room or the garage.

The sound seemed kind of muffled, but let's face it -- by time you squash music into a CD, then from there into an .mp3, then try and stream it via Bluetooth, well, you're lucky to get anything worth hearing.

But -- here's the hot tip: I started thinking "What I really need is an equalizer". More research pointed me towards Poweramp. I downloaded the free version to try it and was instantly amazed in like 10 seconds. Makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the D100 speaker, you can really get the best out of it (which admittedly isn't audiophile quality).

Now I'm a happy camper! I'm listening to it right now in my living room, sounds great. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is, well, of course the sound could always be better, and I'm a little disappointed at the size of this thing, I thought it would be smaller.

But heck, for the money, can't beat it. Just remember to get Poweramp or some decent equalizer.

Klein Tools 1000 Multi-Purpose 6-In-1 Tool
Klein Tools 1000 Multi-Purpose 6-In-1 Tool
65 used & new from $14.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wire stripper for the money, January 19, 2014
I've tried the cheap tools, this one costs a few bucks more but is worth it. It's well made (made in the U.S.) and I use it to crimp connectors and strip wires down to 20 gauge. It actually works very nicely on the fine gauge wires, you don't even want to try one of those cheap "one size fits all" wire cutter/strippers for the small stuff.

The holes for the wire gauge sizes are correct, so it strips cleanly, although you want to make sure to strip only 4-5 mm length at a time. If you need to do more, do it in a couple of shots, this helps to avoid breaking the fine wires but also makes it easier to strip thicker wires.

The crimp tool works really well and it's out at the end of the tool, opposite the handles, which is where you want it for best leverage when you crimp. Note that some tools like this have the crimpers in the middle, I don't like those.

All told, it's an excellent tool for the money, hard to give it the "I love it" 5 star rating because, after all, it's just a basic tool. But I've been using this exact model (the Klein 1000) for about 2-3 years and it has never failed me. I have 2 other wire cutter/strippers of this type to choose from and I always grab the Klein.

WD My Cloud EX4 16 TB: Pre-configured Network Attached Storage featuring WD Red Drives
13 used & new from $834.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Well built, fairly easy to setup and use but slower than molasses in winter, December 28, 2013
I bought the 16TB version figuring that much storage should last for a while. I need it most for backups; I have/had 5 other USB drives of various sizes to back up video and photo files for a large website.

The MyCloud is cheap enough for 16TB and it seems well built. It was fairly easy to set up, but not as straightforward as the reviews would have you believe. There are a lot of options that aren't clearly explained and the WD help site isn't as detailed as I'd like.

The second day, it wouldn't connect for some reason, the computer lost the connection to the EX4. I had to reboot and so far, it's been ok. I have it set in the settings to start up at 6 am and turn off at 8 pm.

I have mine connected to a Netgear R4500 router bought on Amazon. No problems connecting there, it was as easy as plugging in the included ethernet cable.

The problem is that the EX4 is very, very slow. Copying is very slow and sometimes accessing the drive is slower than an old 2400 baud modem, really. I use Microsoft Expression Web 4 to develop web pages, so I use the EX4 as one of the publishing destinations just to back up the website files. To connect to the copy of the website on the EX4 and then publish about 20 changed files takes several minutes, when it should be a matter of seconds.

Not sure if the controller or the CPU or the cache memory in the EX4 is to blame, but every time I go to access it, it pauses to sort things out first. Even if I try accessing the drive directly through Windows Explorer, it can take some time before the disks mount and I can access any folders.

But the biggest issue is copying and accessing data on the drive through other applications. It's just incredibly slow. Not necessarily a deal-killer for me, since I'm using it only for backups, but I wish it was a lot faster.

By the way, I also use it to access the files via a couple of laptops when I'm in a different part of the house. Again, it was easy to set up but very slow whenever I have to access anything on the drive.

I'm also hoping it lasts and the controller doesn't fail, as I have read some stories about this with the EX4. I guess the bottom line is that you get what you pay for, I'm wondering if I should have spent more and bought a more highly user rated/reviewed system, but then again, you never know. I was considering the new Lenovo EMC system but it is more expensive and I couldn't find any user reviews or info about them.

UPDATE: December 30, the EX4 locked up twice now, not sure why. I discover it when I click on the link in my Windows "Computers" listing for external drives and can't access the EX4, even though the LCD on the EX4 indicates everything is OK.

The 4 blue lights right now on the EX4 are on solid, and they are usually blinking. The "WD MyCloud EX4 Dashboard" can't connect either. So I tried holding down the power button on the EX4 and the LCD reads "System is shutting down", but nothing happens. I had to pull the plug on it last time to reboot, now I'll have to do it again. This is worrying -- why would it lock up intermittently? I couldn't find any info in the WD help system on this problem either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 2:29 PM PST

The Second Coming
The Second Coming
Price: $25.19
6 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie and still goodie, September 21, 2013
This review is from: The Second Coming (Audio CD)
I bought the original Rudolph Johnson "Spring Rain" album way back in...was it the '60's? Now I have the CD and then bought this "Second Coming" CD. Unfortunately, I guess that's all RJ ever recorded. He's kind of like a hipper John Coltrane; many of the chops are Coltrane-ish. RJ's music still sounds great after all these years. I wouldn't say he was a genius who was doing something no one else was, but I love his sax sound. Check it out.

Mr Lucky
Mr Lucky
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great '50's retro, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Mr Lucky (MP3 Music)
Love Mr. Lucky and Andamo! Catch the TV series if you haven't seen it. Now I use this Mr. Lucky theme song as my ringtone!

Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier
Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier
Price: $219.99
39 used & new from $165.11

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good at all, September 21, 2013
I've owned this since January, it's now end of September. It started leaking when running, now I keep it in a plastic tray to catch the water and it leaks about 1 pint per day, too much now so I'll have to buy another dehumidifier.

Also, the fan never shuts off and never has since new, so the digital humidity gauge that's supposed to shut off the fan when it reaches a certain humidity never worked.

It does dehumidify the air, but needs to run continuously to do so and less than a year old it's leaking so bad it's unusable. Before this I had a Sears dehumidifier that ran for 5 years no problems at all.

Very disappointed in this product and would never buy another.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2013 10:55 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11