Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Pard > Reviews

Browse

Pard's Profile

Customer Reviews: 120

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pard ""Somewhere in the High Sierra"" RSS Feed (Maryland, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
MotoBatt MBMAP 21" 18AWG Cable Lead
MotoBatt MBMAP 21" 18AWG Cable Lead
Price: $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly and at a good price., February 9, 2016
It took me a long time to find this type of SAE to Powerlet type connector (Euro style accessory outlet on motorcycles). This one works perfectly, I can connect my Battery Tender to my BMW and other motorcycles that have the Euro style outlet. I'm not sure what the red removable ring is for that it comes with, I'm guessing it's an adapter so you can fit the plug into a standard American-style cigarette lighter outlet? But otherwise, this works perfectly and it's cheap enough.

Keytronic Inc Lifetime Classic-P2 Keyboard Ps/2 104 Keys Black Windows Compatible Space-Saving
Offered by ADVENTURER'S BAG
Price: $54.88
6 used & new from $54.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the price, nice layout and pretty reliable, January 29, 2016
I bought 3 of these, been using them for years. I'm a typist only, not a gamer. I manage a website so I'm at this keyboard many hours each day, writing articles.

I've actually worn through 2 of them, it took many years but one started having trouble with a few of the keys and the other I wore through with my fingertips on the space bar, A and F keys, believe it or not!

It's extremely difficult to review a keyboard because they are such a personal thing. I used to have one of the classic IBM model M keyboards I used before this but wore that out also. The KeyTronic is a decent replacement, the keys don't have a click sound, so it's fairy quiet as far as keyboards go. Probably like the Cherry MX "clear" keys? I don't know -- never used a Cherry MX keyboard as far as I know...

You do have to press all the way down on the KeyTronic keys to get them to register, which some people may not like. There's a first point very close to the top, as soon as you start to press the key, where you can feel the resistance. Then it goes all the way to the bottom.

I don't know how much force is needed but I'd guess it's a mid-range Cherry MX type, from what I've read.

The key spacing is good, I measure 20 mm between centers. The keyboard measures 457 mm wide (18" exactly) and 170 mm front-to-back. Mine still uses a PS2 connector, which is a pain, my next keyboard will have a USB or Bluetooth.

Not sure what else I can say, I'm not sure they're still making these KeyTronic Lifetime series keyboards any more. I'd buy one again and the price is definitely good, but I will probably look at one of the mechanical types instead. I definitely want to keep exactly the same key layout though on my next one, I'm very used to it and don't feel like changing!

So bottom line, I can recommend this keyboard and the price is very good for what you get and they last a long time (not many people beat on them for hours a day like I do).

Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (NEW 3rd. Gen)
Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (NEW 3rd. Gen)
Offered by COOL JAPAN MARKET
Price: $21.89
16 used & new from $18.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Not JIS!, January 10, 2016
These are NOT JIS screwdrivers! In fact, if you go to the Hozan Tools website and look up the part numbers, you will find these are listed as Phillips screwdrivers, there is zero reference to JIS screwdrivers in the description for these.

Let me put it another way: the modern Phillips tool bits are either machined or ground and made without the old Phillips "curve" to the sides of the flutes that made the Phillips "cam out" on torque. Most new Phillips bits and screwdriver tips are made with straight flutes, so they work as both standard Phillips and JIS screwdrivers.

I actually talked to a Vessel Japan representative who told me they no longer make JIS only screwdrivers because their Phillips screwdrivers will also work as JIS.

There is no reference to JIS on the Hozan website; they list these screwdrivers as Phillips. BUT, the tips are pressed (these Hozan screwdrivers are the cheaper type so the tips are not ground or machined) with straight flutes. So they will work as both Phillips and JIS.

I don't believe there are any real old-style JIS-only screwdrivers or bits made any more and I have bought plenty just to see, screwdrivers that are claimed to be JIS but really aren't.

Is this a problem? Not really, because the modern grinds mean that if the manufacturer does a good job, the "Phillips" screwdriver will also work in JIS screws.

NOTE: I took detailed measurements and photos and the Hozan screwdrivers appear to be identical to a modern set of straight-fluted Phillips 0, 1 and 2 screwdrivers.

Also, these are very basic screwdrivers, with cheap plastic molded handles. They'll work as Phillips screwdrivers, but don't expect Snap-On type quality.

Very disappointed that there are apparently no more JIS screwdrivers anywhere, I have purchased bits and screwdrivers that claim to be JIS but aren't. Which tells me that there really isn't any difference after all.

Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Dell S2415H 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
Offered by One Plus Tech Inc
Price: $177.00
96 used & new from $147.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for photo editing and general web work, April 13, 2015
Everything has pretty much been said about the S2415H. My old Dell LED monitor lasted for about 7 years, then quickly went into a death spiral with yellow whites and red and green bands showing overnight. I needed another monitor asap; I use it strictly for photo editing and web management. Found the S2415H in a local store and compared it "live" to several other monitors from LG, Samsung, HP and Dell and I have to say, the S2415H beat them all.

I don't mind the glossy screen because it yields better (sharper) details for photo editing compared to the matte screens. It's also nice and bright. I have mine recessed in a cubby on the desk that just barely fits the 24 inches, and this hides most of the reflections.

As many others reported, I was dismayed to bring the monitor home and find it only had DVI and VGA ports. I had to run back to the store to get an adapter, but be careful -- the port is in a recess in back of the monitor, so not all of the adapters fit. Also, no USB ports on the monitor; I had a few on my old Dell and they came in handy for connecting various devices.

The S2415 doesn't adjust up and down but neither did my old Dell monitor and very few seem to have that capability nowadays. None of the monitors I compared this to in the store had vertical adjustment either.

Been using it for about 3 weeks and I really like it, the whites are whiter than I ever had on the old Dell monitor and the colors are very accurate without the oversaturation and too much contrast in most monitors today. I'd say it's excellent for photo editing for web work. So overall, I'm very pleased.

I also like the fact that there's near zero bezel on the sides and top. I measure it at 6 mm (0.244 inches).

Pit Posse PP2585 Motorcycle Tool Rear Axle Wrench 36mm Buell Harley Davidson
Pit Posse PP2585 Motorcycle Tool Rear Axle Wrench 36mm Buell Harley Davidson
Offered by E & I Motorsports
Price: $19.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Works ok but kind of thick, March 23, 2015
Didn't fit the nut like I thought, it's the right size but too thick for my use.

WeatherTech 110010-120010 Mud Flap
WeatherTech 110010-120010 Mud Flap
Offered by BetterProducts4You
Price: $74.90
69 used & new from $74.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Works good, basic looks, March 23, 2015
Works fine, fairly easy to install with no drilling like they say. Still doesn't block all the mud hitting the side of my Silverado though. Good quality, basic industrial style looks. Probably would buy again.

DKnight Magicbox Ultra-Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Single) (Black)
DKnight Magicbox Ultra-Portable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Single) (Black)
Offered by DKNIGHT INC
Price: $23.99
6 used & new from $18.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but disappointed with sound quality, March 23, 2015
Sound quality kind of tinny but gets a little better if you can mount it with a backing. Bluetooth works fine. Battery seems to last pretty long. The mic port allows cell phone conversations, which is good. I use it in my truck. The volume buttons don't seem to do much on it though so I use the volume on my phone when streaming music. Probably wouldn't buy it again though, the sound quality just isn't very good.

SilverStone Technology 3.5-Inch to 2 X 2.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive HDD / SSD Bay Converter, Silver (SDP08)
Price: $8.99
18 used & new from $4.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, heavy duty, here's a tip on the screws, March 23, 2015
Heavy duty and works fine. You can't use a magnetic screwdriver because the tiny screws are stainless steel (probably shouldn't use magnets around computers anyway).

So here's the tip: I put the tiniest dab of heat sink paste on the tip of the screwdriver. It was enough to hold the tiny screw so I could get it through the hole in the side of the adapter and into the SSD. You could use something like hand cream, grease, or maybe even a tiny bit of dishwashing soap. Just enough to hold the tiny screw on the tip of the screwdriver. Once you screw them in, it's easy to wipe the small amount off the head of the screws.

Link Depot 6-Feet E-SATA to SATA 3Gbps Cable, Blue (ESATA-SATA-6BU)
Link Depot 6-Feet E-SATA to SATA 3Gbps Cable, Blue (ESATA-SATA-6BU)
Offered by Better Choice Online
Price: $4.99
8 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, good quality, no problems, March 23, 2015
Works fine, nice and heavy-duty with a thick coating on the cable. Comes with plastic caps for either end, of course I lost one immediately but used the other to cover the un-connected end. Worked perfectly fine to clone an SSD using the NewerTech adapter.

Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW)
Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW)
Price: Click here to see our price
141 used & new from $380.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, not too hard to install, March 23, 2015
Works great, was fairly easy to clone and install and, to be honest, I was very happily pleased when I started up the computer again after the cloning and...it worked!

Couple of tips they don't tell you about: first of all, be sure to disable Windows updates before cloning! I hadn't read about this before and during the 6 or so hours it took to clone, there was a Windows update I didn't know about. I saw it when the cloning was done and the Windows notice came up. When I installed the Samsung 850 EVO Pro SSD, the computer immediately tried to update with the downloaded Windows software. It took a few tries of turning on and off before I got it to run. I sweated it out there for a while. Anyway, my advice is to turn off Windows updates right before you clone (but make sure you check manually for any updates and get them installed before you start).

Also, I did a Windows disk cleanup before cloning, there was a huge amount of junk Windows removed. Then I did a defragmentation. I rebooted the standard HD and checked everything again before starting to clone. And did 2 full backups on other disks just in case.

Samsung includes a CD-ROM with the cloning software and something called the Samsung Magician, which is an SSD utility. It worked fine and was easy to install and understand. You have to connect the SSD first to the computer you're going to clone or the software won't install correctly.

Samsung instructions show a SATA to USB connector cable but it wasn't included with my 850 EVO Pro. I used a USB Universal Drive Adapter. I connected one end to an eSATA port in back of the computer using a separately purchased eSATA-to-SATA cable. I connected the other end to the SATA connector on the Samsung SSD. Then I used the NewerTech power connector to connect to the power connector on the Samsung SSD.

The reason I did this is I don't have a USB 3.0 on my older tower desktop. It worked fine and was probably faster than using one of my USB 2.0 ports. I was also thinking I'd simply disconnect my second standard HD and use the SATA and power connectors on the Samsung SSD to clone. I think that would work fine and might be faster if you have 2 hard disks.

I also bought a metal drive bay adapter. Works fine, but it's a bear to get the tiny screws into the Samsung SSD. I mounted the SSD in the adapter while the computer was degragging. You can't use a magnetic screwdriver because the tiny screws are stainless steel (probably shouldn't use magnets around computers anyway).

I'll be honest, I didn't ground myself when mounting the SSD. I was careful not to touch any connectors. My computer is easy to remove a panel on one side. The hard disks are in a two-bay drive towards the front, I had to remove two small screws that hold the HP dual hard disk tray, then press a metal lever release, then the tray with the 2 disks moves up and out. I disconnected both SATA and power connectors on each HD. Then removed the tiny screws that hold the enterprise disk I had in the HP. Slide in the adapter with the Samsung SSD installed, put in the screws, re-attach the SATA and power connectors and re-insert the HP hard disk tray.

The adapter tray will actually hold 2 SSD's if you want, although the screw holes on the bottom of the tray are a bit too close to the bottom of the tray, you have to flip the SSD over and it makes a tight fit for the connectors. Since I don't anticipate ever needing a second SSD in the tray (and don't have the motherboard connectors for it anyway), I mounted the SSD in the middle position in the tray, figuring that gives it better air circulation anyway.

I buttoned everything up, re-connected the power and my USB, monitor and speaker cables, turned on the computer and it started. A miracle! Other than messing with the Windows update issue, it was smooth sailing.

Conclusion
I needed to replace my older enterprise HD anyway, it was working fine but about 4-5 years old with daily multi-hour use, so I was worried it might fail. Although my older computer doesn't have the most up-to-date SATA, motherboard or even USB 3.0, the difference is noticeable with the SSD, but not knock-your-socks-off dramatic. I'm going more for the reliability anyway, there was a recent test that showed the Samsung EVO 850 Pro 1TB working fine for 2.5 petabytes of read/writes. That should keep me for a while...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12