Profile for Pard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 97

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pard ""Somewhere in the High Sierra"" RSS Feed (Maryland, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Creative D100 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
Creative D100 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
62 used & new from $35.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for what it is, but here's a tip to make it better, January 24, 2014
Finally got tired of researching the too many options for Bluetooth speakers. I wanted something simple but good to listen to music when I'm working around the house, working in the garage, etc. I finally decided on the D100, it arrived pretty fast, I unpacked it, stuck in the four AA's, paired it with my HTC One Google Edition (took 2 tries for some reason) and fired it up.

You have to make sure the volume on your phone or device is raised. The speaker has pretty good volume at max; it won't blow your ears off by any means, but it's ok for a room or the garage.

The sound seemed kind of muffled, but let's face it -- by time you squash music into a CD, then from there into an .mp3, then try and stream it via Bluetooth, well, you're lucky to get anything worth hearing.

But -- here's the hot tip: I started thinking "What I really need is an equalizer". More research pointed me towards Poweramp. I downloaded the free version to try it and was instantly amazed in like 10 seconds. Makes a huge difference in the sound quality of the D100 speaker, you can really get the best out of it (which admittedly isn't audiophile quality).

Now I'm a happy camper! I'm listening to it right now in my living room, sounds great. The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is, well, of course the sound could always be better, and I'm a little disappointed at the size of this thing, I thought it would be smaller.

But heck, for the money, can't beat it. Just remember to get Poweramp or some decent equalizer.

Klein Tools 1000 Multi-Purpose 6-In-1 Tool
Klein Tools 1000 Multi-Purpose 6-In-1 Tool
Offered by J outlet 2 llc
75 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wire stripper for the money, January 19, 2014
I've tried the cheap tools, this one costs a few bucks more but is worth it. It's well made (made in the U.S.) and I use it to crimp connectors and strip wires down to 20 gauge. It actually works very nicely on the fine gauge wires, you don't even want to try one of those cheap "one size fits all" wire cutter/strippers for the small stuff.

The holes for the wire gauge sizes are correct, so it strips cleanly, although you want to make sure to strip only 4-5 mm length at a time. If you need to do more, do it in a couple of shots, this helps to avoid breaking the fine wires but also makes it easier to strip thicker wires.

The crimp tool works really well and it's out at the end of the tool, opposite the handles, which is where you want it for best leverage when you crimp. Note that some tools like this have the crimpers in the middle, I don't like those.

All told, it's an excellent tool for the money, hard to give it the "I love it" 5 star rating because, after all, it's just a basic tool. But I've been using this exact model (the Klein 1000) for about 2-3 years and it has never failed me. I have 2 other wire cutter/strippers of this type to choose from and I always grab the Klein.

WD My Cloud EX4 16TB: Reliable Network Attached Storage featuring WD Red Drives
WD My Cloud EX4 16TB: Reliable Network Attached Storage featuring WD Red Drives
13 used & new from $929.07

3.0 out of 5 stars Well built, fairly easy to setup and use but slower than molasses in winter, December 28, 2013
I bought the 16TB version figuring that much storage should last for a while. I need it most for backups; I have/had 5 other USB drives of various sizes to back up video and photo files for a large website.

The MyCloud is cheap enough for 16TB and it seems well built. It was fairly easy to set up, but not as straightforward as the reviews would have you believe. There are a lot of options that aren't clearly explained and the WD help site isn't as detailed as I'd like.

The second day, it wouldn't connect for some reason, the computer lost the connection to the EX4. I had to reboot and so far, it's been ok. I have it set in the settings to start up at 6 am and turn off at 8 pm.

I have mine connected to a Netgear R4500 router bought on Amazon. No problems connecting there, it was as easy as plugging in the included ethernet cable.

The problem is that the EX4 is very, very slow. Copying is very slow and sometimes accessing the drive is slower than an old 2400 baud modem, really. I use Microsoft Expression Web 4 to develop web pages, so I use the EX4 as one of the publishing destinations just to back up the website files. To connect to the copy of the website on the EX4 and then publish about 20 changed files takes several minutes, when it should be a matter of seconds.

Not sure if the controller or the CPU or the cache memory in the EX4 is to blame, but every time I go to access it, it pauses to sort things out first. Even if I try accessing the drive directly through Windows Explorer, it can take some time before the disks mount and I can access any folders.

But the biggest issue is copying and accessing data on the drive through other applications. It's just incredibly slow. Not necessarily a deal-killer for me, since I'm using it only for backups, but I wish it was a lot faster.

By the way, I also use it to access the files via a couple of laptops when I'm in a different part of the house. Again, it was easy to set up but very slow whenever I have to access anything on the drive.

I'm also hoping it lasts and the controller doesn't fail, as I have read some stories about this with the EX4. I guess the bottom line is that you get what you pay for, I'm wondering if I should have spent more and bought a more highly user rated/reviewed system, but then again, you never know. I was considering the new Lenovo EMC system but it is more expensive and I couldn't find any user reviews or info about them.

UPDATE: December 30, the EX4 locked up twice now, not sure why. I discover it when I click on the link in my Windows "Computers" listing for external drives and can't access the EX4, even though the LCD on the EX4 indicates everything is OK.

The 4 blue lights right now on the EX4 are on solid, and they are usually blinking. The "WD MyCloud EX4 Dashboard" can't connect either. So I tried holding down the power button on the EX4 and the LCD reads "System is shutting down", but nothing happens. I had to pull the plug on it last time to reboot, now I'll have to do it again. This is worrying -- why would it lock up intermittently? I couldn't find any info in the WD help system on this problem either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2013 2:29 PM PST

Second Coming
Second Coming
Price: $24.64
4 used & new from $24.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie and still goodie, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Second Coming (Audio CD)
I bought the original Rudolph Johnson "Spring Rain" album way back in...was it the '60's? Now I have the CD and then bought this "Second Coming" CD. Unfortunately, I guess that's all RJ ever recorded. He's kind of like a hipper John Coltrane; many of the chops are Coltrane-ish. RJ's music still sounds great after all these years. I wouldn't say he was a genius who was doing something no one else was, but I love his sax sound. Check it out.

Mr Lucky
Mr Lucky
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great '50's retro, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Mr Lucky (MP3 Music)
Love Mr. Lucky and Andamo! Catch the TV series if you haven't seen it. Now I use this Mr. Lucky theme song as my ringtone!

Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier
Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier
54 used & new from $189.54

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good at all, September 21, 2013
I've owned this since January, it's now end of September. It started leaking when running, now I keep it in a plastic tray to catch the water and it leaks about 1 pint per day, too much now so I'll have to buy another dehumidifier.

Also, the fan never shuts off and never has since new, so the digital humidity gauge that's supposed to shut off the fan when it reaches a certain humidity never worked.

It does dehumidify the air, but needs to run continuously to do so and less than a year old it's leaking so bad it's unusable. Before this I had a Sears dehumidifier that ran for 5 years no problems at all.

Very disappointed in this product and would never buy another.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2013 10:55 AM PDT

Kawasaki Z1 & Z900: 1972 to 1976 - Covers Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900 & KZ900 (Essential Buyer's Guide)
by Dave Orritt
Price: $13.48
43 used & new from $7.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for buying a classic Kawi, August 27, 2013
Like most of the "Essential Buyer's Guides", this one sticks to the formula. The book is brief enough but has probably all or most of the info you'll need if you're looking to buy one of the classic Z1 or Z900 bikes.

I didn't know much about the Z1 before I read the book, other than that I liked the original Kawasakis and they were the superultra muscle bikes of their time.

There's some brief background info on the bike and overall issues to watch out for, then chapters on inspecting, buying and even some tips on restoring your Z1 or Z900.

It covers the Kawasaki Z1, Z1A, Z1B, Z900 and KZ900 models from 1972 to 1976. Not included are the Z1000A1/A2 and the Z1R.

The book was written/published in the UK, so it's biased towards bikes sold there, but includes info for U.S. models also. I found the information on the various model years and changes to be the most valuable.

Dave Orritt, the author, is a recognized Kawasaki Z1 collector and all-around knowledge source. It is said that he has over 30 Z1's in his collection, so obviously he knows this bike and he restores them and shows them also.

Bottom line, this is a relatively slim 60 page guide with about all the basic info you'll need to know to look for one of these Kawi klassics. It won't make you an expert by any means -- none of the "Essential Buyer's Guides" will -- but it's definitely a good first step to learning about the bike.

By the way, it's loaded with good quality color photos illustrating the various points and issues to look for when buying your Kawi.

Grace Cock Flavored Soup Mix, 1.7 Oz (Pack of12)
Grace Cock Flavored Soup Mix, 1.7 Oz (Pack of12)
Offered by Premier Life
Price: $14.89
8 used & new from $11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret good stuff!, July 27, 2013
There are a lot of phony reviews for this product; ignore them.

I also bought it as a joke, then my wife and I tried it one day. It's delicious; a mild curry flavor. You'll need fresh ginger, scallions or onions, carrots, a turnip, squash or chayote and cayenne pepper flakes (the "pimento seeds" called for in the directions on the package. And chicken.

We use extra chicken; the instructions call for 2 lbs. and we use 3. My wife thickens the stock a bit with some flour.

We went through the entire case and I'm about to order another. It's really delicious and a different treat. I'm sure the real thing in Jamaica tastes better, but since I live far away from there, I'll never know.

This is also one of those stew-type dishes that actually tastes better after it has been in the fridge overnight and the flavors come together.

It's a shame that the vast majority of Americans will never know about this product, nor would they try it if they did because of the name. If it was called "chicken stew", they'd be very happy. You can make this for dinner for friends and they'll think you're a genius. We have it with fresh tomatoes and corn in the summer.

Just finished our last package, time to order another case!

Maggie's Organic Cotton Crew Sock Tri-pack
Maggie's Organic Cotton Crew Sock Tri-pack
Offered by Maggie's Organics
Price: $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The socks I've been searching for, June 13, 2013
For some reason, 99% cotton socks without the padded feet have disappeared from the Big Box stores. I searched high and low to find these. Yep, they're a bit expensive, but they're made in the good ol' U.S. of A. and organic. They also fit perfect and feel d-vine. I'm buying more.

Repsol Moto Rider 4T Oil - 15W50 - 4L. RP165M54
Repsol Moto Rider 4T Oil - 15W50 - 4L. RP165M54
Offered by Powersport Superstore
Price: $30.84
10 used & new from $24.78

5.0 out of 5 stars It's oil - works fine, the "right stuff" for BMW motorcycles, May 11, 2013
What can I say? It's oil. Comes in a 4-liter container and the price is right, especially compared to store-bought stuff. This jug has a spout you pull out after unscrewing the top, which helps to pour (but you'll probably still need a funnel).

BMW is very specific about the oil used in its motorcycles and scooters, and supposedly this Repsol Moto Rider 4T 15W50 meeets the API-SJ standard and it's JASO-MA certified, which is what BMW specifies for their C-series scooters like the C 650 GT.

The scooter takes 3.1 liters to refill according to the owner's manual, and that's exactly right in my experience. The Repsol jug has a translucent strip down the side so you can sort-of see the level. The 4 liters gives you 0.9 liters left over in case you need it for topping-up after the 3.1 liter oil change on the scooters.

Good stuff, free shipping when I bought it and a decent price (oil is expensive lately!) make this a winner. And besides, you're paying for Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa's MotoGP rides when you buy Repsol!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10