Profile for Oathz2Arioch > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Oathz2Arioch RSS Feed (Playa Del Rey, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Lushlife
Lushlife
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $14.27
35 used & new from $1.41

5.0 out of 5 stars it became one of my favorite albums almost immediately and one of the few albums ..., November 11, 2014
This review is from: Lushlife (Audio CD)
Unlike diehards, this album was my introduction to BE and as such, it became one of my favorite albums almost immediately and one of the few albums I listen to straight through and then switch to random and listen to indefinitely for half the day before changing to something else.

Being from NY originally, and spending so much time in what can feel at times to be a hollowed (and hallowed) extended hallway of ghosts, shattered dreams, endless laughter and tears, pain, hope, and heartbreak that overwhelms as much as it terrifies or astounds, there is an undercurrent I know very well where one actually becomes less participant and more witness in isolated silence. That's what this album's feel is like, and the cover art is as poignant and perfect as any I've ever seen on an album because it feels exactly like that ethereal, cool, wordless ride through the dark industrial side of town where the exposed brick, rusty fire escape, clothing hanging over the sidewalk on lines, abandonment, all night liquor stores, back alley dealings, and questionable late night diners exist, in the coolest and most murdered out lowered car that seats 5 that you can find.

Here is my take on the tracks, by type and how they affect me :

Hard hitting, dark, and gritty : "Songs of Survival", "Shook Ones"

Hard hitting, dark, eerie and gritty : "Floating World"

Sadness, Loss, Foreboding : "Lushlife"

Insanely sick late night cruising music : "Soul City", "Deep Blue", "Passages"

The Obligatory Popcorn Mainstreamer : "Freedom Fighter"

The "Other" Tracks : "Saved", "After Landing"

Much has been said about this album being a disappointment, but I 'm simply not seeing it. More, it is the next level of what I heard in the "Beat" album, but with more pronounced voice adding its interpretation so as to form basically (to me), "Beat with a bent". If Beat was about marshaling the dark undercurrents of life? Lushlife was about turning to the audience with a handful of those gathered undercurrents held up like black diamonds, with a shattered mirror directly behind, and saying to the camera through mirrored voices like Frank in Donnie Darko, "For the likes of us, it must always be thus". Because for those who can hear those currents to gather them, they didn't have to be gathered. They appeared because they knew those people were coming.

High melodrama here - you've got that right.

Forsaken Cowboy
Forsaken Cowboy
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Song To Death, April 22, 2014
This review is from: Forsaken Cowboy (MP3 Music)
SO well named. I just love the faraway haunting background harmonizing vocals done on this track as well as the reverb/echo/chorus treatment. It makes it sound like it's being played in a dream, and along with the chord progressions (I love minor and eerie passing chords like in here) it really makes this a standout chillout type of track. These guys are really good. And it is actually a treatment on an old West style song that you'd expect would be about a lone cowboy riding on a lonely trail.

Sienna - Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl
Sienna - Shave Soap in Wooden Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars This soap is perfect!, April 22, 2014
Smells soooooo GOOOD! I've seen the way it lathers up on the face it was bought for and it seems like it does a much better job and spreads very easily. Looking at the bowl (which is beautiful) after a month it doesn't appear as if it has been used more than three or four times. No way you're going to get that kind of life out of a can of shaving cream. And did I mention how nice it smells?!

If you are going to go to the effort of shaving with a real razor and the whole traditional double edged blades, there is really no way you should skimp on a soap like this. It brings the whole thing together, and over the long run is MUCH more price sensible than continuing to use shaving cream, which I'll add probably hampers the shave compared to the soap. Buy it! Buy buy buy!

Escali Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand
Escali Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand
Offered by Perella's
Price: $29.95
3 used & new from $18.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Effective Stand, April 22, 2014
Bought this along with the Merkur 38HD and the Escali Badger brush. Everything fits perfectly, with length below the razor and brush to spare. It is sturdy and really accents everything - makes it all look really "on purpose". I would imagine any razor that is too long for this stand is a real monster and probably not that easy to use.

It is a little annoying if you need to move the stand with everything on it because it has a base that sort of adheres to surfaces so if you try to slide it, it doesn't go easy and instead tips, dumping the razor because the holder is open ended and the razor sort of sits in an open V on it. This makes the thing top heavy, but it's only a problem if you are trying to slide it or otherwise pick it up and move it with all the stuff hanging in it. Other than that it's perfect!

Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Escali 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Offered by Perella's
Price: $12.95
2 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Up On This Product, April 22, 2014
I can testify that this is a great brush. Although it was bought for someone else it gets stolen on a regular basis and due to that I can say it holds up very well. Exfoliates, doesn't lose a ton of bristles, makes it really easy to lather up and distribute shaving soap and rinses clean very easily.

There was no really distinctive animal odor from this brush. I suppose if I really crammed my nose into it I could detect something, but that would assume I know what I should be smelling in the first place. Nothing offensive that I can detect, so that's another good thing. It is easy to keep in shape and clean - just run water through it, take the bristles from right under the handle in the web between index finger and thumb, and squeeze downward once or twice, and the brush is in shape and free of all water and soap. Hang on a holder, and it's ready to go again.

So nice when something I buy is exactly as advertised!

Merkur Model 38 Hd Classic "Barber Pole" Long Safety Razor
Merkur Model 38 Hd Classic "Barber Pole" Long Safety Razor
Offered by Jaurasee
Price: $45.95
17 used & new from $43.25

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a SuperHero For Buying This - Or So I'm Told!, March 17, 2014
Bought this, the Escali beaver brush and stand, the Senna shaving soap and 50 silver blue DE razor blades, and have been thanked ever since. The grin I witnessed from someone who ordinarily hates hates HATES shaving and was using an electric and a Gillette Fusion Power with the fortune in replacement blades was worth everything and the finish? Glass smooth, no nicks, no cuts (or I'd have heard the squealing and seen the hand wringing). Perfect.

It is a heavy razor, especially compared to little disposables, but apparently that weight really does mean there's no need to push down at all. I actually tried running it across my own face hairless though it may be and I couldn't actually tell whether the blade was on it or not. Even when showed the exact angle to have it at, it still didn't even feel like it was doing anything. But it most certainly does. I can see someone really cutting the bejesus out of themselves if they tried, but it just didn't seem that hard to use at all.

The construction is solid and it is really pretty. Looks totally vintage and super expensive. It comes apart very easily into two pieces by twisting the knob at the bottom and you just put the blade in and tighten it down. I thought it would be longer. Looking at it, I have to wonder what the "regular" or "short" handles look like. This one seems perfect, even when I was holding it with small hands.

It fits perfectly in the Escali stand btw. I don't know who on here was down-voting it because it was too long for his stand but he must have bought his particular stand in Lilliput because this razor's handle is about 2 1/2"-3" short of the base of the Escali stand I bought.

Anyone looking for a great razor would do well to give this one a try!

Certain Sculptures
Certain Sculptures
5 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Band And This Album, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Certain Sculptures (Vinyl)
Very very disappointed that the only way to get this back is either in LP or cassette format. I have been trying to find Be There in mp3 format forever, and there is no reliable source for it save to go the long drawn out route that was described by another poster earlier, at considerably more expense. Would love to know how Amazon picks and chooses what they're going to offer digitally, since although you can't offer everything, there seems to be no real logic to it.

Mount-It! Articulating Dual Arm Computer Monitor Desk Mount for 27-Inch Monitors (MI-752)
Offered by Value Max
Price: $46.95
5 used & new from $46.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice - Can't Understand Why Anyone Pays More, September 5, 2012
SIIG has made a really great quality heavy duty stand here and done so at a perfect price point. Let's just get that said up front.

I put away my non-VESA compliant LG 24" 16x10 monitor, which I loved, and purchased two Planar 24" 16x9 touchscreen HD screens, and this stand with it. I was concerned about the arms being long enough to enable me to easily reach the screens come Windows 8, which was "the whole idea" but I worried for nothing with this unit.

It comes packed very well and looks great coming out of the box. All matte black, heavy, with sturdy arms and equally secure joints. And plenty of those joints, making the thing capable of just about any configuration you want, including swinging either monitor to portrait without having to remove and re-mount. Nice value add. It tilts, rotates, does everything I could have asked it to do.

It is very easy to install, since the arms themselves with backing plates are already set up. All you have to do is slap them on the desk with the sturdy adjustable C-clamp, mount your monitors, route your cables, and away you go. I simply wrapped my DVI cables over the arms in the back and you can only see them in between the monitors hanging neatly on either side of the base pole. Clean as a whistle.

The tilt pivot on one of the arms was loose when I first attached the monitor but a quick look enabled me to see where to pry off the very well designed cap over the allen bolt, and tighten the bolt with the included allen wrench. Problem solved. The wrench fits all bolts necessary so no extra tools needed except a Phillips for the actually backing plate to monitor hookup.

I have a thin desk, so I simply took a block of wood a little wider than the clamp across and about 2" thick and placed that into the clamp under the desk. Tightened it, and it's not going anywhere. The system looks so state of the art it's absurd!

You cannot go wrong with this stand. You couldn't best it at double the price. Click "Buy". You'll be glad you did. And Amazon will get it there almost too fast!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't see the point of this in a true HD system, September 16, 2011
Bought this. Good price and whatnot, but I'm running HD programming via HDMI from satellite to the TV, which only has one audio output, and that's optical. Running that to my receiver.

This Amphony unit is hooked up with the surround left and right outputs going via 16g speaker wire to the Amphony inputs. The thing doesn't pick up a signal. No indicator light saying that a signal is being detected at all, and the indicator and power are working because it does it's self test at initial plug in without problems. My receiver doesn't have RCA line out plugs that will output signal regardless of source. Each channel has its own outputs, so I can't simply connect the optical cable to the receiver and then send the output out via RCA.

When I pulled the Amphony out of the system and hard wired the surround speakers directly to the outputs, they work perfectly as usual. I went online and had to hunt all over before I found a review that casually mentions the fact that this Amphony unit cannot send digital audio to rear speakers, so if you are running HDMI or HDMI to optical this will not work.

Nowhere in their entire website product description, nor in the user's manual, does it make any mention of this limitation. Instead, the website claims the Amphony can accept "almost any input". Multiple e-mails with their support personnel went nowhere, as they were hellbent on figuring out which unit was "faulting" between the receiver and Amphony and ducked no less than five direct attempts to verify that the Amphony cannot detect and use a digital signal coming from a receiver.

It appears that to use this product under these circumstances, I will have to purchase an additional $100+ digital to analog decoder, which would allow me to plug the optical cable from the TV into it and then take two analog cables to the receiver's TV channel IN. But I can't verify that this will work, because Amphony will not confirm that the signal type is incompatible, and so I could end up buying the converter and it still doesn't work.

This is deceptive advertising to me. If it doesn't work with digital audio then wouldn't people really want to know that up front, considering most people trying to set up home theater are doing so with high end TVs and intentions of using Dolby Surround sound with as high a quality (digital) as possible? What exactly is the point of a wireless surround kit that cannot detect signals from the high end devices it is likely to be paired with?

Unless you have a receiver with every connection type known to mankind, or are using it with a non-HD television or without digital cable/satellite, this is a useless product. I'd love to be wrong about this but unless someone comes back with verification that this is untrue in a comment, I'll never know where I'm wrong, because the manufacturer will not answer the question frankly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2011 2:35 PM PST

Nocturnal Activity (Sleepwalking Remixed)
Nocturnal Activity (Sleepwalking Remixed)
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Sure would be nice if the version playing on Lush were available, June 29, 2011
Gotta say, I can't stand remixes most of the time. They always seem to lean way to far towards techno or some other lame variation.

Although I can't say with certainty that the version of Vai Viver A Vida that plays on SomaFM's Lush station isn't in fact a remix itself, I highly doubt it, and it is that version that makes for such a beautiful song. Why it is not available, but the remixed versions on this album are, is beyond me. What a piece of music that is, and I would love to have it just as it's played on that station.

Haven't heard this entire album, but I really wanted to comment on that particular song and what a breth of fresh air it is. This is a great group.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2011 10:46 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2