Profile for James J. Rank > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James J. Rank RSS Feed (Austin, TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Game of War - Fire Age
Game of War - Fire Age
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, February 28, 2015
This review is from: Game of War - Fire Age (App)
Was bored within minutes. I don't get why people play this

SunFounder Sidekick Basic Starter Kit w/ Breadboard, Jumper wires, Color Led, Resistors, Buzzer For Arduino UNO R3 Mega2560 Mega328 Nano
Offered by SunFounderUS
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome starter kit, January 27, 2015
I'm really glad I ended up purchasing this. I bought it for the parts it came with to use in another project, but ended up going through the little lesson plan that came with it and am glad I did, I actually learned quite a bit from doing all the lessons (I'm a beginner that got involved in an advanced group project, so my knowledge of arduinos is very helter-skelter between advanced and simple concepts.) Taking the time to work through all the basic circuits it teaches you how to build was not a bad way to spend an afternoon, and although the things you create are simple, when showing someone that has never touched a circuit it's pretty easy to impress them and get inspired to build bigger and better things. So if you're a beginner wanting to learn or a more advanced user just wanting a collection of parts, either way I would recommend this purchase.

Mad Dogs
Mad Dogs

4.0 out of 5 stars I would really like to see this get made, January 22, 2015
This review is from: Mad Dogs (Amazon Instant Video)
I would really like to see this get made. I hope the direction this show is going is to start off by showing a lot of guys at their worst and perhaps give them redemptive arcs, because the characters seem like jerks in the pilot, but I'm interested to know more, which is the mark of any good pilot. I've never understood how Billy Zane gets roles in things though, that guy is more wooden than my front door.

Dying of the Light
Dying of the Light
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable and entertaining Sci Fi, January 20, 2015
You get a sense of George's world building skills that become such a signature part of his better known later works when you read this tale. You get haunting landscapes, scary creatures, and fascinating cultures - enough to flesh out a whole series, all skillfully woven together in this one tale. I wish there were more stories set in this universe.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Have had a ton of fun with this little board, January 20, 2015
Have had a ton of fun with this little board. No problems with it, has worked like a charm in a number of different testing situations.

Anybody Can Be Cool-- But Awesome Takes Practice (Devotionals for Teens)
Anybody Can Be Cool-- But Awesome Takes Practice (Devotionals for Teens)
by Lorraine Peterson
52 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Uh, no., January 20, 2015
I bought this as a joke for someone at work. I would not recommend anyone actually buy this.

Mozart in the Jungle [HD]
Mozart in the Jungle [HD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Gem of a Series, January 20, 2015
What a fun show to watch. This is exactly the kind of unexpected gem that just takes me totally by surprise and has me hooked. I think that Gael Garcia Bernal does a great job of blending eccentricity with believable moments, so that his over the top antics are not out of the realm of possibility and it makes for incredible viewing. I feel like this show came out of left field, I don't even recall watching it during pilot season, and it ended up become a favorite.

Pilot
Pilot

5.0 out of 5 stars Really hope this is picked up, September 2, 2014
This review is from: Red Oaks (Amazon Instant Video)
I found myself really hoping this gets picked up when the credits rolled. It felt like a throwback to the great comedies of the 80's, but with a voice of its own, and I laughed out loud at several points in the show. Sure, it revisits some old TV tropes, but it seemed to me that is was clearly doing this intentionally, and working within the confines of those known tropes to make something funny and enjoyable, and it really succeeded at that in my view. Good stuff, 5 stars.

Really [HD]
Really [HD]
DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars This show was honestly so boring that I forgot I was watching TV and started ..., September 2, 2014
This review is from: Really [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
This show was honestly so boring that I forgot I was watching TV and started playing a game on my cell phone. When my wife looked up from hers she said, "hey are we still watching this?" and I knew it was time to switch to something else. This show wasn't just boring - it had no plot and worst of all, no heart. Sometimes it can be fun to watch a show about a bunch of people I dislike, but this was just dislikable people being boring and unfunny. I don't even see the point of watching such a show. Zero stars.

The Atlantis World (The Origin Mystery, Book 3)
The Atlantis World (The Origin Mystery, Book 3)
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ideas muddled by a desperate need for an editor, June 12, 2014
I've stuck with this series from the beginning, and on the one hand, I'm really glad to encounter fresh and exciting Science Fiction from a new author like this, but on the other hand, there really is something to be said for good editing and review. The premise of this series is fascinating and the first book really got me hooked, but the good ideas began to unravel and eventually became something of an incoherent mess by the end. All sense of pacing and the art of storytelling get thrown out the window and huge ideas just start flying at you as pudgy, indigestible infodumps. Which is a real shame, because even so, I still read to the end. Usually when an author's writing technique degrades I'll just quit, but the ideas really did captivate me here. The execution was just way off. I feel like this author was in a rush to get this book out instead of taking the time to polish and hone his ideas. There were 3 books worth of material crammed into half a book here. Let me end by saying this - A.G. Riddle has some very interesting ideas in his head, and I could easily foresee him becoming a great author, but this effort suffers badly from the lack of an editor. All the same I'm looking forward to seeing Riddle's next effort.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3