Profile for Sonya Lindsey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sonya Lindsey RSS Feed (Alexandria, VA)

Page: 1 | 2
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith
by Jon Krakauer
Price: $10.27
1084 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelievable, December 14, 2006
I recommend this book to almost every person I meet. great writing, fascinating details, objective voice. seemed exceptionally balanced and fair-- I loved it. couldn't put it down.

Where the Heart Is (Oprah's Book Club)
Where the Heart Is (Oprah's Book Club)
by Billie Letts
Price: $13.21
1545 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars so-so, December 14, 2006
nothing spectacular as I remember...wish I would have reviewed this immediately after having read it, but I don't think that it left any impression on me -- neither good nor bad. I generally go racing to my neighbor's house to recommend the book I've read but I haven't found myself talking about this one to anybody. I wouldn't even have remembered that I read it except I'm sitting here and I looked over and saw it on the bookshelf. I think that it was an easy read but nothing remarkable. I certainly didn't hate it (like I hated time-traveller's wife...uuughh) but I definitely didn't love it either.

I Know This Much Is True (Oprah's Book Club)
I Know This Much Is True (Oprah's Book Club)
by Wally Lamb
697 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars whoa Wally...take it easy on me..., December 14, 2006
I just scanned through other reviews because I finished She's Come Undone today and couldn't quite remember exactly what I loved about IKTMIT--now I remember...I loved how much I hated Ray, Dominik's mother and her father Dominick Onofrio Tempesta! ( I think that was his name...) --it's not every day that you can really hate on somebody--and in this book, you can use up all the hate you have and then some. I could not believe these characters (and then I watch the evening news and realize it's really not that unbelievable, actually)---the ending was a disappointment to me, considering how rosy everything turned out--I guess I was expecting Dominick to just get it over with and kill himself since his life was such a disaster.

anyway--the grandfather's life story was annoying and hard to get through--and I was horrified when he killed the monkeywhore. and the ugly magic woman who could multiply chickens was an unnecessary distraction--unless Wally would have let her take Dominick's grandma away and the two could have lived happily ever after somewhere. There was a lot going on here--I enjoyed reading it. couldn't put it down. can't stop recommending it.

She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club)
She's Come Undone (Oprah's Book Club)
by Wally Lamb
Price: $7.99
736 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm, December 14, 2006
I finished this book early this morning and still haven't quite figured out what I think about it. I loved This I Know Is True--included it in my Christmas letter, in fact...so maybe it was too soon to read another Lamb book--I think I was frustrated with Dolores--I was impatient with her and her misdirected anger. I wasn't even really rooting for her by the end--kind of felt drained by all the poor decisions she made. The fat janitor girl? I don't know...that part made me kind of sick. All the grandma hating in the beginning? irritated me. Never forgiving her father? Why? why not? I'm sure this is the reality of life--it isn't pretty, it doesn't make sense and people can frustrate you and let you down. Dolores did. I think I need to like the main character in order to really enjoy the book. I thought Dolores was a lazy self-loathing immature woman who could not live in the moment--was stuck in the past. guess that makes her one of us, I suppose. anyway--I've already recommended this book to my friend so I must want to talk about it some more. maybe that means it deserves more stars.

Lipshtick
Lipshtick
by Gwen Macsai
Price: $13.21
63 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE---PLEASE!!, July 2, 2005
This review is from: Lipshtick (Paperback)
people say this is girl talk in a book... only if you're lucky to have friends as funny as Macsai--I have given it away time and again...I keep this book stocked at my house just to give to my favorite people. This is THE FUNNIEST book ever--I read it while single and childless... and STILL found her chapters on marriage, pregnancy and childbirth painfully funny. I have not been entertained like this since - Sedaris comes close with Santaland diaries (in Holidays on Ice) but still...it wasn't Gwen.

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Other Boleyn Girl
by Philippa Gregory
Price: $14.40
1170 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ride the rollercoaster of emotion, July 2, 2005
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
WOW...what a book! I don't know why I feel like the last one on earth to read about Henry VIII or Anne Boleyn--I don't even think I knew who they were before reading this (sad, but true)...and now-after days and nights of nonstop reading- I feel like I could teach a class on these two (a short class...for toddlers) I was totally drawn in by the powerful wills, rivalries and love described by Gregory--it seemed both real and impossible. Is it possible that Anne Boleyn was truely the enormous BIT#*!H that was given to us in this novel? Is that possible? If so, then I regret ever assigning that word to any living being because no one-and I mean NO ONE - holds a candle to Annie B. and amazingly, as she walked the block, somehow I began to manifest sympathy for her-despite hundreds of pages of hating her. The story also satisfied the great romantic in me-no better love has been described than that of Mary and William Stafford. How Gregory is able to breathe those first passionate feelings of love into the pages is amazing. You put the book down but somehow find that everything around you looks a little different. Feelings become charged. Little sparks of passion emerge. You can't read about this kind of love and not find yourself in love again. (unfortunately, reading about Henry and his infidelities kind of kills these feelings and I was torn between loving men like Stafford and feeling disgusted by men like Henry, not that I've ever known a king...but I know plenty of men who think they come close) I loved this book.

The God of Small Things
The God of Small Things
by Arundhati Roy
903 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars renewal of language, June 23, 2005
I read this book after listening to Terri Gross interview the author on NPR...when was that-1997? I went and got the book and was reborn as a booklover. Have you ever loved something so much that every compliment, every word of praise, almost everything applies to it? I read food advertisements and think- that's how I feel about The God Of Small Things! "Perfect if you yearn for full, robust flavor but not the fat that comes with it--packed with coarse ground emotion that gives you a chance to absorb the woodsy aroma and hearty, but still delicate, flavor." or, I thought of it recently while reading about cirque du soleil...I was thinking that Roy's novel was also a "joyous procession" of characters who, with "power, grace and passion", brought us a world "situated in a mysterious space between heaven and earth". "Juxtaposing the large with the small, the ridiculous with the tragic... it highlights the strength and fragility...wisdom and kindness" of the family "to illustrate the portion of humanity that lies within us". Her writing, "by turns lyrical and playful carries us through a timeless story in which illusion teases reality". OK, enough with the quotes--

I absolutely loved this book. for the story. for the language. for how I felt while reading and how I feel today. I could not get enough of this voice that seemed to open another door to the english language where words kept unfolding into new meanings and sentences were freed from the constraints of our expectations. People sometimes talk of THE BOOK that changed their lives--now I understand.

Pride and Prejudice (Bantam Classics)
Pride and Prejudice (Bantam Classics)
by Ian Edginton
Price: $4.95
495 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars don't forget to eat (and get some sleep), June 22, 2005
When you finish this book-you'll sigh* (I did) and then you'll be stuck remembering all the characters and how you recognize them in your present relationships (Lizzy's dad was one of my favorites) -- you'll find yourself thinking about Jane Austen and wondering what she was like... so you'll talk about her and find that EVERYONE loves her. and then your neighbor will lend you all the Austen movies (that BBC one will steal your entire afternoon!)--and she'll actually have a whole bunch of literary criticisms and Austen biographies...and you'll become obsessed. (I did)...hope you are able to take care of yourselves through it all. stay hydrated.

Jane Eyre (Signet Classics)
Jane Eyre (Signet Classics)
by Charlotte Bronte
263 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll marry Edward Rochester, June 22, 2005
I'm going to avoid pedantic attention to details and leave the scholarly examination to the literature classes--I just want to say--wow. what a good book. good in the sense that I loved the language, I love Jane and Edward. I love LOVE. you know? sometimes you just have to be reminded that we are human-and we can be emotional, passionate and filled with the fire of life. I was squirming around and restless for Jane to get over herself and her ridiculous moral stand--I just wanted her to get her a** back to Edward where she belonged! I was TOTALLY against her when she refused to marry him--it really made no sense to me. I just didn't think that he had done anything wrong. He was such a victim. Poor Edward Rochester. If I could have crawled into the pages and comforted him myself, I would've. Come here Edward, let me hold you. (that's what I would've said)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2008 7:25 AM PDT

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
by Azar Nafisi
Price: $13.12
1646 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars sharing perspectives, June 21, 2005
This book challenged me to take another look at books I've read and find deeper meaning and relevance. I really fell in love with Nafisi and felt a warm invitation into her home and into the lives and emotions of all the women that met to discuss some of my favorites. I couldn't really appreciate her take on 'Lolita'--I considered reading it to see if I found it as powerful and important as she did but couldn't get past my fear and disgust for pedophiles. It's always interesting to me to hear intelligent criticism and discussion of books and authors--adds another layer of complexity and heightens their appeal. I did go back and flip through all the books that she discusses. It was fun! I'll have to read through the review to see if anyone had anything negative to say--I don't.

Page: 1 | 2