Profile for David Pearlman > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 534

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Pearlman "sound fanatic" RSS Feed (Arlington, MA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips Wake-UP Light with Radio, Black
Philips Wake-UP Light with Radio, Black
Price: $90.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool clock radio that awakens you with both music AND light. Great for pre-dawn wakeups, less useful if you get up later, April 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If, like me, you've ever had to get up in the middle of the night (to get to the airport, for example), you know how hard it can be. Not only are you getting up at a time your body is generally not prepared for, but the profound darkness makes it feel like you're 100 miles from the nearest bastion of sanity.

In a single word, it stinks.

And, if you're like me, then you've eventually discovered that if you leave the lights on when you go to bed, then it's not nearly as hard to get up at that ungodly hour. However, if you have trouble sleeping with the lights on, then this is hardly a solution.

Some clever minds at Philips have obviously had the same ideas. The result is this pretty cool clock radio. The idea is fabulously simple and yet effective: A clock radio combined with a light that slowly brightens the room as the alarm time approaches. You can set how long the light starts to ramp up before the assigned alarm time--up to 30 minutes. At full brightness, the light is reasonably bright, although it's not as if the alarm light would be a substitute for a room light under normal conditions. That said, it's DEFINITELY bright enough if the alarm/light is situated so that it faces you as you sleep--and that's the idea.

In my un-scientific tests (for three trips where I had to get up not only in the middle of the night, but in the middle of a COLD night--although this alarm does nothing to fix the temperature issue) I found that getting up with the light alarm was easier than it has typically been with a standard alarm and a dark room. I'm sold for this purpose!

Now some comments about the ergonomics and design. First off, this clock radio is sleek, easily passing the "cool looking" bedside test. It looks like it could be an iAppleSomething. In terms of alarms, you have three options: Two nature sounds (different variations on birds, which I don't like because they're a bit too soothing and don't have the necessary "oomph" to get me up in the middle of the night), and a standard FM radio. The FM radio was fine and seemed about average in terms of sensitivity. It picked up and held strong stations in the area, and that's all I need.

I found that setting the alarm and clock was pretty straightforward. The included directions are sufficient, but you can probably figure it out by trial and error if you have dealt with many/any electronic alarm clocks.

The light seems to ramp up pretty quickly once it turns on. I set it to come on 30 minutes before the alarm and it seemed to be at full brightness well within the first 10 minutes it was on.

This appliance has to be plugged in. It cannot be run off batteries, and really isn't designed for travel. So consider this a home appliance.

In total, I am sold on this as a clock radio for those nights where night doesn't turn into day before I have to get up. For normal evenings, where I have the luxury of sleeping well past the point where the sun rises, the usefulness of this clock radio over a standard clock radio is nominal. So day-to-day, if you are like me (and only occasionally have to rise before dawn) you may find yourself sticking to whatever it is you call ol' tried-and-true. But you COULD use this light/radio all the time.

One caveat: The time readout on the clock radio is always somewhat bright--even when the light is not on. I find this fine; I'm a sound sleeper. But if you the kind of person who requires ABSOLUTE pitch black to sleep, this will not be your best choice.

Going Mobile
Going Mobile
Price: $12.59
46 used & new from $8.43

2.0 out of 5 stars A gray area semi-bootleg loophole release that sounds no better than the boots widely available, April 9, 2015
This review is from: Going Mobile (Audio CD)
What a waste

Don't get me wrong. This is an excellent live document of Steely Dan in their prime. Any fan should hear this.

But this is just a gray area bootleg release. It's legal in some EU countries, where they allow you to issue material that was broadcast over the radio provided the music didn't originate in the EU. (Because they want to protect their own, but hey, if it was broadcast in some other sucker's country, fair game). Anyway, this show has been easily available for download from a lot of places on the Web for a long time (and as a bootleg before that).

What have they added here?

Answer: Nothing. They've taken one of those downloads that you can find for free and pressed it onto a CD. It sounds exactly like the boot downloads because those boot downloads are the source for this. Which is to say, it's sounds OK, but not great.

Oh, and did I mention that no performance royalties go to Steely Dan or their record company? Nope.

Instead of buying this, you might want to cut out the middleman and listen to it on line.

Your call.

No Pier Pressure
No Pier Pressure
Price: $42.99
11 used & new from $23.58

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, but more a professional collection of Beach Boys memes than an essential work, April 7, 2015
This review is from: No Pier Pressure (Audio CD)
Well, this sounds like what you might expect a Brian Wilson (or Beach Boys with Brian Wilson) album to sound like. It's completely professional, and the songs here are pleasant enough and contain enough of the standard book of Beach Boys memes that you don't forget what you're listening to.

But ultimately there's very little personality here. You can hear Brian up in the mix on most of these songs, so you know he's around, but if you replaced his voice with someone else's, you'd just imagine this was a professional band who knew how to get that old Beach Boys sound. Having listened to the album all the way through twice, I can state that although nothing here makes me jump for the skip button, neither does anything really make me want to hit repeat. It's all pleasant enough, but mostly there's nothing really...hmmm...human about it. Slick stuff that would slot fine on the AOR playlist at your local mall, but no flashes of brilliance or real sense of emotion or character. There's one exception, The Last Song, which does suggest the Brian of long ago.

The other thing missing here, versus the best of Brian Wilson, is those OhMyGod moments with an unexpected chord change or modulation--the kind of stuff that in his prime separated Brian from his mere mortal competitors. Maybe Brian had a serious hand in this stuff, and maybe he didn't--there are so many cooks that's hard to say. But if he did, he didn't really bring the special Brian sauce.

In the end, this is hardly embarrassing. But it's also hardly essential and lacks many (any) moments of brilliance. To quote an earlier Brian, "It's OK", but, for example, offers nothing to compete with the song suite that closed That's Why God Made the Radio, the Beach Boys (with Brian) effort from a few years ago. (Perhaps not coincidentally, by-far the best song here, The Last Song, occupies the same location on this album.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2015 11:40 AM PDT

Rock Box Set
Rock Box Set
6 used & new from $0.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Here's the track listing. It's a somewhat mediocre hodge podge, although not horrible if you can get it at the right price., April 4, 2015
This review is from: Rock Box Set (Audio CD)
Rock 3 CD Box Set
Nils Löfgren: Shine Silently
Gary Moore & Phil Lynott: Parisienne Walkways
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Free Bird
CD 2:
Spencer Davis Group: Gimme Some Lovin'
John Miles: Music
Scorpions: Send Me An Angel
Dio: Rock 'N' Roll Children
INXS: Listen Like Thieves
Little Angels: Too Much Too Young
Cinderella: Don't Know What You've Got (Till It's Gone)
Extreme: Decadence Dance
Magnum: Start Talking Love
Cher: Just Like Jesse James

Head & Shoulders  Instant Relief Dandruff Shampoo, 22.5 Fluid Ounce
Head & Shoulders Instant Relief Dandruff Shampoo, 22.5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $6.73

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst variation on Head & Shoulders I've ever used. Leaves your hair greasy/stringy looking. Avoid if you have oily hair, March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a review specifically of the Instant Relief variant of Head and Shoulders.

I have used Head & Shoulders dandruff shampoos for many decades. As I have naturally oily hair (a charter member of the need-to-wash-hair-every-day-no-exceptions club), I have always veered towards the H&S variants for oily hair. Back when I was young, H&S would actually put the words 'for oily hair' boldly on the bottle. Nowadays, I guess that's politically incorrect. So you have to do a little sleuthing to figure out which are best for oily scalps/hair. Such is the PC world we live in. I guess things are safe for those of us who need no help from our shampoo to keep our hair "shiny".

Anyway, I have navigated the H&S terrain in the past, mostly avoiding ANYTHING that contains conditioners (for oily hair/scalp this is a major ugh), or anything that suggests it's for "dry" hair.

This particular variant of H&S for "instant relief" didn't indicate anything about either conditioners or dry hair on the front label. It seemed like the latest rebranding of a H&S product to compete with the Selenium based Selsun Blue lines. So, OK...give it a go.

Oh no...no go.

My first impression: Where is the instant relief? I was expecting the kind of deep menthol type of relief you get from something like pine tar extract, only with a nice H&S smell. Nope. The smell is OK--a wisp fruity, nothing bad. But I didn't feel any "instant relief". Nothing really different from standard H&S, to be honest. But that's fine. Just clean my hair and I'm good.

And this is where the ship ran totally aground. The shampoo lathered up fine. But when I tried to wash it out, I could feel a slimy residue that told me that this stuff was going to be bad news for me. Still, in the interests of a fair review, I went with it.

I got out of the shower, dried off and and let my hair fully dry. An hour later I looked in the mirror and...my hair looked like total cr*p--like I hadn't washed it in a day or two. Stringy and heavy. Hideous. No time to do anything about it, I went to work. And two different people mentioned that my hair looked "different". And not in a good way, I am sure.

Hideous. By the end of the day, I had that hideous greasy feeling that those of us with oily scalp/hair know well. I couldn't wait to wash my hair with something else to actually get my hair clean.

I looked again at the bottle. Had I somehow missed the part where this is for people whose hair is dry as shredded wheat without milk? I looked carefully. (You can look carefully, too, as Amazon has kindly provided a nice big image). Nope. Not. A. Single. Word. I'm wondering whether the manufacturer thinks they'll sucker you in by avoiding that kind of language on the front of the bottle, and that once you use it, you'll just have to love it. Nope. I hate it. And if you have oily hair, I guarantee you will too!

Never again with this H&S variant for me.

The only instant relief this variant provided was relief from clean looking hair. Not sure that's what most people are looking for!

Sterling Silver Garnet Elephant Bracelet, 7.25"
Sterling Silver Garnet Elephant Bracelet, 7.25"
Price: $59.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and delicate (but not fragile) bracelet. Excellent value., March 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Jewelry is, of course, a very subjective, personal matter. What I like may not be what you like. In fact, based on my experience in buying and giving jewelry as presents, I think we can go a little further than may not.

That said, there are some universals that apply to jewelry. The first is that, to a certain level anyway, you get what you pay for. Those pieces of jewelry that your local junk mart marks at huge prices only to have 90% off every other weekend ("it's our once a year second Friday in February sale with prices so low the boss may fire us!") You know the drill. And, mostly, the quality is easily differentiated from shinola, if you know what I mean.

What I like about Amazon's new Curated Collection--and I've had a chance to look at a few pieces now--is that the quality is good and the prices are fairly honest. Not the list prices. No, those are still kind of out to lunch. But the everyday sell through prices.

This particular piece falls in line with what I've seen already. This silver + garnet bracelet is delicate and very feminine, but it's not fragile. It feels like what it is, which is solid Sterling Silver (not hollow nonsense). The clasp is reasonable. And it looks quite pretty. Well, that's my opinion, anyway. But since opinions are like blah blah blah, I ran this by a few women who happened to be around. Four of them. The comments amounted "yeah, that's really nice...can I have it?" OK, so all four, early 30-somethings, give it the thumbs up. So maybe I'm not crazy.

But you don't need to my word for it. I've uploaded a few pics so you can see what it looks like.

I'll add that it comes in a decent presentation box. Nothing super unbelievably special, but enough to make it suitable for a birthday or a just because present. And guys, trust me on this: You NEED to give the occasional "just because" present. Way more valuable than the ones you "have" to give because Hallmark has said so. (Right, women?)

As for price. The current selling price of this bracelet is somewhat under half of the magical fairy tale called "full retail". At that price, it compares VERY favorably with what you might be able to get from an honest jewelry merchant on a good sale.

Recommended.

On the Road Again
On the Road Again
Offered by rockitman
Price: $25.88
14 used & new from $11.88

3.0 out of 5 stars The last stop on the Roy Wood express isn't terribly great, though it has its moments, March 16, 2015
This review is from: On the Road Again (Audio CD)
Ah, Roy Wood. Brilliant Roy Wood. Mostly unknown in the US, he was a force to be reckoned with in the UK from the mid '60s, with his band The Move, through the first incarnation of ELO and then solo and with his wacky amalgam Wizzard. There is a tremendous amount of brilliance in that career, which spanned the period, roughly, 1966-1975, that is, from the time of The Move through to Roy's 1975 solo album, Mustard.

And then....

Hard to say what happened, but maybe Roy, who could never sit still stylistically, reached the point where he could no longer connect with an audience who wasn't as musically curious. Or maybe he just ran out of good ideas.s

At any rate, after the aforementioned Mustard, Roy recorded a out there jazz band influenced album Main Street which his record company declined to release (it finally squeaked out 25 years later). So he switched record companies, created the "Wizzo" band and recorded Super Active Wizzo. Which was also kind of far out there, and which the US arm of his record company declined to issue (although test pressings were created and it was advertised as coming soon). You might imagine at this point Roy got the message that he might be the brilliant light who gave the world a slug of great and successful music, but the world had moved on. Or perhaps Roy had left the world.

Whatever. It seems that Roy looked over the precipice, and perhaps with some heavy arm twisting by his manager or record label, decided to pull things back a smite and put out something approaching a commercial album. And by commercial I mean 3-5 minute songs without too much free jazz or psychedelic influence. What we got is On the Road Again.

I wish I could say that On the Road Again was a move back to the compact and captivating song constructions of the latter day Move. It's not. It's a mess. Now, Roy had created genius from mess in the past, most significantly with his indescribably weirdfest Wizzard's Brew. But this is a different kind of a mess. Or, rather, it's just a mess. A hodge-podge of styles, but with way too many throwaways.

When this album came out, I, as a hardcore Roy Wood fan, eagerly placed it on the turntable, hoping for something new and brilliant. What I heard was...much less than that. So I promptly filed it away, and other than a cursory listen a few years later, had kept it on the shelf since then. But recently, going through a new Roy Wood appreciation phase, I pulled it out and gave it a thorough listening to. Or three. Was it really as bad as I'd remembered? Well, probably not. 35 years hence, coming at it with low expectation, I heard it with different ears.

It's still not good. Not even close. But there are a few decent songs here, namely (We're) On the Road Again, Jimmy Lad, Dancin' at the Rainbow's End and Way Beyond the Rain. Jimmy Lad, a catchy Irish bagpipe inflused rockfest is perfectly apiece with the jagged corners aesthete of Roy's classic run of '70s singles, and the pastoral Way Beyond the Rain would have been entirely at peace on Roy's great Mustard album. But beyond these four songs, you have another six which are, face it, just boring. They're not really incompetent. And some have a few interesting arrangement ideas in the layers. But they're just not interesting. And say what you will about Roy's classic recordings, even the worst of them were not just boring.

In the end, even with lowered expectation, I can't say this album is a must have for anyone but Roy Wood fanatics. It does have its moments, but not enough of them to sit proudly with his better achievements.

Sadly, after this album Roy Wood would effectively go into retirement for almost a decade, before releasing the lousy Starting Up. And today, he's mostly forgotten by the mainstream. That's tragic, because he deserves to be remembered in the same pantheon of melodic genius as people like Ray Davies (Kinks) and Paul McCartney.

Oreck Revitalize Carpet Cleaner
Oreck Revitalize Carpet Cleaner
Price: $399.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A carpet cleaner may not seem sexy, but cleanliness is close to...well, you know, March 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's face it: When it comes to floor care, men and woman are mostly different. Women will vacuum the carpet regularly, and pull out a wet carpet cleaner (or rent one, or pay someone to do the work) as needed.

Men? Not so much. For a man, the time to vacuum is usually when your friends start to fall over because they're are coughing up hairballs they inhaled from the rug. And the only time a man touches a wet carpet cleaner is when hell freezes over, or when he's trying to get some of the deposit back from the landlord.

So, being a man, I have to admit upfront that I am not exactly a seasoned expert with wet carpet care. That said, I have used such a beast on occasion. So I do have something to compare it to. Barely.

Enough of that. How about this: What's the skinny on this Oreck Revitalize Carpet Cleaner? I can probably best summarize in a few bullet points:

1) Assembly out of the box is trivial: Attach the aluminum handle into the slow. Done. A 5 minute job for even the most assembly adverse among you.

2) What's in the box: The carpet cleaner. The handle (see (1)). A rubber hose with a squeegie attachment that is supposed to be useful for upholstery. A bottle of carpet cleaning solution. And a short instruction manual. That's it. No pound of gold, no unicorns.

3) How easy is it to use? Trivial. There are two water reservoirs on the machine. They both slide in/out. The top one holds the clean water+cleaning solution. The bottom one holds the dirty water. You fill the clean water tank with warm/hot water and a cap and a half of cleaning solution (included) and snap it back into place. You hit the foot pedal to allow the handle to relax. And you hit the other foot pedal to turn it on. Oh wait, I forgot to mention you also plug it in. Yeah, you though you'd get me there, didn't you AceNumberOneTroubleMaker. Nope. Gotta plug it in. Not battery powered. Not solar powered, either. Though I'll bet some of you salivate at that thought. Once it's running, you pull on a small trigger on the handle to release water/cleaning_solution. You let go of the trigger and the whirling brushes suck up the (presumably) dirty water and put it in to the lower "dirty water" tank. That's it. Easy as pie, and less caloric.

4) How well does it work? The idiot who chose the carpet for where I live chose a really light unpractical color that looks good in home magazines. I won't mention names. So that means that no matter how careful you might be, it's gonna eventually show some stains. Unless you are dead and stop walking entirely. In which case, maybe you'll be OK. Anyway, I'm not dead, and there were a few modest stains. So, with all the enthusiasm that my male "cleaning is boring" genes could muster, I did the carpet cleaner dance. And guess what? It did manage to get rid of most of them, and make the rest smaller. So bully for me. The machine is reasonably light, and it was easy to move across the carpet.

5) And it's magic: Mostly my carpet looked pretty good. And it had been recently vacuumed with a good top of the line Hoover. (As my UK friends would say, I hoovered it with my Hoover). So I was curious to see if / how much dirt would come up. Guess what? It was a filth fest (see photo). Oh man, gross. And I'm the kind of guy who tries to keep street shoes off the (ridiculously light) carpet. Imagine what your kids are doing on your dark carpet!

(And here I am reminded of the old song: "I love that dirty water...Boston you're my home." Presumably they were talking about the Charles, and not this device...)

6) How would I compare it to something else? A breadbox? Bigger. Oh, you mean another carpet cleaner. I have experience with two variations. I actually own a behemoth of a Bissel down in the basement. Mostly metal, heavy, very loud, more painful to deal with the fluids and smells when it runs. But it does a pretty good job of things. In fact, I'd say if you can ignore all the aesthetic clunkiness and the smell and the noise, it does a very good job of cleaning rugs--comparable to this new Oreck. And it cost, new, less than this Oreck. But again, it is clunky and annoying to use. And to be honest, every time I thought of using it my first reaction was "ugh, I don't want to deal with that thing again." And that was my second reaction, as well. With this Oreck, it's more like "well, it's work, and I never want to do work. But the Oreck is kind of happy and light and pleasant and it's kind of cool how the plastic allows me to see all the dirt swirling around inside". So although no carpet cleaner is ever going to make me dance on the ceiling (that would be cool, though), the Oreck comes closer to making me hate cleaning less. So win for team Oreck.

I have also rented one of those carpet cleaners they have at the grocery store, from a firm such as Rug Doctor. (I have often wondered what university offers a Ph.D. in rugs. If you know, leave your comments below). Besides being a pain and a kinda rip-off and definitely a grody fest with the semi clean dirt monster dragging some of the dirt from someone else's home into yours, I didn't feel it worked any better.

OK, so summing up:

1) Carpet cleaning is not exactly more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
2) Nor is it as much fun.
3) As a guy, I have less experience with carpet cleaning than others.
4) But I have some experience.
5) The Oreck Revitalize Carpet Cleaner was very easy to put together, easy to use, and does a decent job of both removing stains and getting dirt out of your carpet you didn't know you had.
6) I liked the Oreck better than the old Bissel I have in the basement. But I'm not sure I could say that given the price, if you already have a good working carpet cleaner downstairs you should buy one of these to keep it company. Maybe buy a puppy instead in that case.
7) I liked the Oreck better than the rental at the store. And I am skeptical about where the doctor who rents them at the store got his degree.

Overall: If you're looking for a new carpet cleaner, I'd give the Oreck a look-see...
Comment Comment | Permalink

Tacwise 140 1/4 Inch to 9/16 Inch Staple Selection Pack for Hand/Hammer Tackers (compatible with Staples type G11 & T50), Box of 4400 (TAC0350)
Price: $11.54
4 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect assortment pack of 140 series staple gun staples for casual users., March 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are like me, you don't use a staple gun that frequently, but when you do, you wind up looking for just the right length of staple--and typically you don't have it. So you run down to the hardware store (presuming it's not too late) and buy a box of staples of the appropriate length which provides you with the few dozen you need, and thousands that you pay for but you may never use.

Sometimes, whatever staples you have at hand will do. But often, you want the longest staple that is consistent with the item you're stapling into.

I've often (well, as often as I use a staple gun) wished that I had an assortment pack, instead of an array of boxes of staples that represent a big waste of money. Well, here you go. This is a nice set of 140 series (standard size; check your gun) staples, with lengths in five sizes ranging from 1/4" to 9/16". You get between 700 and 1000 staples of each size. In my own experience, that's good enough for maybe a lifetime. Of course, depending on what you do with a staple gun, your mileage may vary. (But if you use that many staples, then you may use enough of a particular size to justify not buying a variety package).

In terms of quality, the staples seem fine. They were clean (not rusty) out of the package, and ran through the staple gun (Tacwise Z3-140 Heavy Duty Hand Tacker: Amazon product ID Tacwise Z3-140 Heavy Duty Hand Tacker/Staple Gun for 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 9/16 Inches Long Staples, Silver/Orange (TAC0806)) without issue.

In the end, what are you gonna say? A package of staples isn't exactly sexy. But I like the variety pack nature here--a big money saver and, to be honest, an aggravation saver for those times when you wind up needing a certain size staple and you can't (or don't want to) deal with the hassle of heading to Home Despot.

10k White Gold 8mm Cushion Blue Topaz Lever Back Earrings
10k White Gold 8mm Cushion Blue Topaz Lever Back Earrings
Price: $141.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful earrings are actually more brilliant and striking in person. Docked a star for what feels like a fragile clasp., February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Beautiful. That's what I thought when I removed them from the package. That's what I thought when I saw on them worn. And that's the corroboration I heard from several other people who saw them.

These are demure earrings, with very modest sized clasps. If you want danglers look elsewhere.

It's also nice to find that they're made in the USA.

In terms of aesthetics, I'd give these five full stars. They are exactly what you'd hope and expect. The gemstone mounts (on the back of the sapphires) are nice looking and seem to be sufficient (see photo I've uploaded).

The reason I've docked them one star is the clasp (see detail in photo). While it seems to work fine, the metalwork is very thin (gold is expensive, and obviously the point is to make these earrings affordable), and I question whether they'll hold up in the long run. Time will tell...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20