Profile for Remydog > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Remydog RSS Feed (Near Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

CBTL Premium Espresso Capsules By The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 16-Count Box
Price: $10.99
4 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great espresso in my Starbucks verismo, June 11, 2014
I bought these after watching YouTube videos showing that they can be used in a Starbucks verismo machine. They cost less, and make fabulous espresso with a terrific crema. They do sometimes get stuck in the machine and can be difficult to remove.

Takstar SGC-598 Recording MIC Microphone for Nikon Canon Camera Camcorder Dslr
Takstar SGC-598 Recording MIC Microphone for Nikon Canon Camera Camcorder Dslr
Offered by iDeep
Price: $33.99
57 used & new from $30.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for interviews; not for music or shows; pick up every vibration., June 11, 2014
I purchased this microphone to record my son during musical and acting performances. However the sound quality is not nearly as good as the built-in microphone on my camcorder. Further, the vibration isolation is terrible. Even the slightest touch on the camera is easily picked up by the microphone. If all you're using this for is an isolated tripod to record voices, such as in a lecture, then this would work well for you as long as you do not have to touch the camera for any reason. I returned this within a week of purchasing.

Swarovski Crystal Magnetic Wine Charms & Markers for Making Glasses Unique- Set of 12 Identifiers
Offered by Simply Charmed
Price: $27.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnets are perhaps too strong; need more colors, June 11, 2014
These are great, serving exactly the purpose I had. I have some new stemless red wine glasses, so my previous charms that wrapped around the stems are useless. The magnets are seriously strong, making it all but impossible to accidentally lose your charm off your wine glass. However, this is also a slight downside. When storing the charms, the little magnets tend to stick together and they are very hard to separate. Regarding the colors, some are so close together that it is hard to differentiate between them. I would probably reserve those for parties were absolutely need to use all 12. I might add a dot of white paint to a couple just to make it possible to distinguish them all.

Steal the Light
Steal the Light
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive sound, June 16, 2013
This review is from: Steal the Light (MP3 Music)
My wife and kids accuse me of living in the 70s and 80s with my musical preferences. My problem is that most music being produced these days is overly contrived and focused on the "pop" culture crowd with little effort to be authentic. But I love to hear new things that break the mold and make me want to listen more. Thanks to the Jam On station on Sirius XM, I hear a variety that includes some newer bands and some that are more obscure. The other day, Jonathan Schwartz was raving about these guys on the radio, and he followed that with the song Still Young, which was awesome - crisp, strong vocals, tight instrumentals and a strong beat. I was hooked with that one and immediately made note to listen to the rest when I reached my computer. I was not disappointed. Every track is a winner, and now I'm looking for more.

A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win
A Beginner's Guide to American Mah Jongg: How to Play the Game & Win
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starting point for the true beginner or novice player, December 25, 2012
Sandberg does a terrific walk-through of how to play the game. This is not a book to improve skills and strategies, but designed purely as a starting point for someone who wants to understand how to play. For strategies, look to her book Winning American Mah Jongg, which is also excellent and builds on this book.

Panasonic Lumix ZS20 14.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 20x Optical Zoom (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by Red star
Price: $299.99
19 used & new from $139.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera. Eats Batteries, September 7, 2012
There are lots of excellent technical reviews comparing this pocket point and shoot camera to the Canon and other competitive products, so I won't rehash any of that. Just run a Google search on the camera for reviews.

My motivation for buying this camera was simple - our family was taking a 2-week trip to China this past August. I have an excellent Nikon D70, but it's heavy and bulky, especially when hauling the telephoto lens and external flash. I knew we would be on a fast-paced trip in hot, humid weather, so the last thing my family or I wanted was to be burdened by a big SLR and its accessories. Instead, I purchased this small camera and I have absolutely no regrets. In many respects, this was better than my SLR. For one, it takes HD video, which I did a lot. It also has an excellent burst mode, which was very useful when taking photos from a moving tour van since single shots would often be obscured by foreground objects. Using the burst function insured that I had several shots of the same subject from slightly different angles. It also has an abundance of pre-programmed selections, but has several manual overrides for exposure (I wish there was a way to manually focus or set it to infinity). And it fit in my pocket.

One problem with the small cameras is they can be a bit hard to hold, stabilize and use due to their size. I solved that problem by bringing with me the Joby Gorrilapod Joby GP1-A1EN GorillaPod Flexible Tripod (Grey and Black). I simply left that attached and used it folded as a hand grip. This proved to be an excellent decision. And a few shots needed the stability of a tripod, so I was all set. Of course, lots of curious onlookers stared at my set up wondering what it was all about.

I only have two reservations on this camera. First is the abysmal battery life. Fortunately, I took the advice of other reviewers and purchased two spare batteries and the external charger which were absolutely necessary. On a busy shooting day, I used all three batteries. Second, since there is no viewfinder, it can sometimes be difficult to find your subject and frame the shot, particularly hard to see objects when zoomed fully. Aside from that, no regrets. I highly recommend this camera for daily shots or an important once-in-a-lifetime trip.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2012 3:24 AM PDT

Timbuk2 Kindle Fire Cush Sleeve with Memory Foam for impact absorption, Black/Lime (does not fit Kindle Fire HD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic protective sleeve for the Kindle Fire, April 14, 2012
Looking somewhat like an oven mitt, this sleeve is great protection for your Kindle Fire or anything else that can fit inside. The exterior is a durable nylon fabric. The inside has a soft velvet or fleece type of lining to avoid scratching the contents. It's nicely padded with what feels like a squishy gel. There is no handle, so I typically slide the Fire into the sleeve, then slide the whole thing into an outside pocket of my computer case or a suitcase. Around the house, I leave it in the sleeve for safe-keeping when not in use. This is not a protective skin that remains on the Kindle while you are using it, but I would expect that even if you Kindle had a skin it would still fit inside this sleeve for extra protection when travelling.

The Sitter (Unrated)
The Sitter (Unrated)
DVD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of 90 minutes and 4 bucks, April 14, 2012
I rented this movie to watch on a flight from Atlanta to Boston. I guess it was better than doing nothing, but honestly, not by much. I will admit I chuckled at a few points in the film, but more because it was so absurd and not because it was particularly funny. The writers apparently think that the more f- and s- bombs in the dialog, the funnier the script. Really, it's not. It's more pathetic than anything else. Frankly, the aggressively selfish overweight Jonah Hill swearing, threatening and criticizing a 13-year old and two younger kids, stealing the family car, stealing checks at a bat mitzvah party, heading into Manhattan in the middle of the night, buying drugs for a girl just so he might get laid (how he was going to manage that with the kids in tow is a mystery), etc. made me cringe much more than anything else. Save your money.

Travelpro Luggage Crew 8 26 Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter
Travelpro Luggage Crew 8 26 Inch Expandable Rollaboard Suiter

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the zippers, April 1, 2012
I purchased this bag last October before a week-long trip to Atlanta on business. After the non-stop flight, I arrived to find the front pocket zipper pull had pulled off. Fortunately, I had not packed anything in that compartment.

When I returned from the trip, the store exchanged the item for me. The next trip I took was in March. Non-stop flight again, this time to Portland OR. Same problem. Only this time, I did have belongings in the pocket. I don't know how, but the belongings managed to stay in the pocket, only just barely. This was not demanding travel, by any means. A single trip on a plane should not result in this sort of problem.

I have subsequently learned that this is apparently a purposeful design by this company. They want the pulls to break away, rather than causing more damage to the bag. Well, I have never had this sort of problem on a suitcase, including cheap stuff bought at the local outlet stores. If I cannot trust the zippers on a suitcase, I can't use the suitcase. I won't risk putting something in a bag that is designed to break open at the slightest provocation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4