Profile for Mark A. Loeffelholz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark A. Loeffelholz "Author of Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller!" RSS Feed (Springfield, Illinois, USA)

Precognition
Precognition
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy-Adventure taken to a new level, July 28, 2011
This review is from: Precognition (Kindle Edition)
I've been a fan of Ms. Eldridge since I read her last book, "Alice & Henry," and she's definitely upped the ante with "Precognition." Multi-layered storytelling with engaging characters, past lives and preternatural underpinnings...this book is just a blast to read. The two main characters have instant, tangible chemistry, and the narrative hooks you early and pulls you in. If you're in the market for some excellent, escapist reading by the poolside this summer, you can't do any better than "Precognition." Anne Eldridge is an author to watch. I look forward to her next book with great anticipation!

Alice & Henry: A Novel
Alice & Henry: A Novel
by Anne Eldridge
11 used & new from $11.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, February 2, 2011
This review is from: Alice & Henry: A Novel (Paperback)
I'll start out by saying that this book isn't something I'd ordinarily read...but when I had the opportunity to do so, I was grabbed on the first page and wasn't let go.

Both literary-flavored and highly accessible, with prose that is capable of poetic existentialism and devastating sexiness, "Alice & Henry" is a paranormal romance---a story of two souls who've loved each other across the sea of time, but have never been able to "get it right."

There's something here for everyone: tragic and forbidden love, historical and narrative sweep, magnificent first-person characterization...and humor. As the story moves back and forth through time, from 1980 and 2033, Anne Eldridge makes keen and wry use of pop culture and historic verisimilitude to great effect. I was entertained, riveted and moved throughout. I'm very proud to say that I'm a fan of Ms. Eldridge...and predict many more will join my ranks. I highly recommend this book! Thank you, Anne, for an experience I'll never forget.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2011 8:14 PM PST

Say It with Bullets (Hard Case Crime (Mass Market Paperback))
Say It with Bullets (Hard Case Crime (Mass Market Paperback))
by Richard Powell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
48 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is!, October 10, 2010
My initial impression, as relayed here in the Cafe, wasn't overwhelming positive based upon the first two chapters. Although written in the third person, which I appreciate as a rarity in the hardboiled subgenre, the book initially comes off as fairly pedestrian, setting the table with quite a bit of 'telling' rather than 'showing,' and seeming a bit self-conscious about *trying* to be hardboiled. Exhibit A: the first paragraph of Chapter 1...

"At the overnight stop in North Platte, Nebraska, Bill Wayne didn't copy the other tourists in the party when they bought postcards to mail to friends. He was running a little low on friends these days. Once he had classed five guys as friends but they had picked up a habit of doing things behind his back, like shooting at it. The only wish-you-were-here postcard he wanted to send them was a picture of a cemetery."

Okay; fair enough. Sets the tone and the overall feel of the book---and once I got Powell's rhythm, I'll admit I was happy to tag long with Bill Wayne as he fends off the attentions of a tour guide who had a crush on him when he was a high school football player and uses a packaged bus tour of the western states to hunt down four double-dealing former service buddies---one of whom presumably shot him and left him for dead in China in 1949...it's a nicely linear narrative with some nice tension in spots, but regrettably I had the actual perp nailed by the end of the first act. I hoped I was wrong, that Powell had folded my own expectations back against me...but no. Too bad.

Still, it knows what it's about, and aspires to nothing else, so I have to admire purity of intent. And the action is good. It's a marginal recommend from me, for hardcore fans of the genre who don't want to think too hard.

L'Chaim!: The History of the Jewish Community of Greater Miami
L'Chaim!: The History of the Jewish Community of Greater Miami
by Seth Bramson
Price: $17.81
21 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Mazel Tov!, September 24, 2010
Hard to believe that more hasn't been written about this very important segment of Miami's history, but leave it to Seth Bramson to put things right! The amount of information---from rare photographs to restaurant menus, and evidence of the barriers overcome by Miami's Jewish community over the past hundred years---is astounding. Anyone wanting to learn mre about the history of South Florida will have an incomplete education until they own and read this book. A nice companion piece to Bramson's "Miami: The Magic City."

Miami Beach Memories: A Nostalgic Chronicle of Days Gone By
Miami Beach Memories: A Nostalgic Chronicle of Days Gone By
by Joann Biondi
4 used & new from $70.77

5.0 out of 5 stars History comes alive - via those who lived it!, September 24, 2010
A great read..."Miami Beach Memories" is like going to Miami Beach and having a chat with the old-timers...great pictures and first-person anecdotes from everybody from taxi company owners to alumni of Miami Beach High School. Absolutely invaluable as a research tool, or for sheer entertainment. I can't recommend this book enough! Congratulations to Joann Biondi on some very fine work.