Profile for Flying Saucer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 100

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Flying Saucer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
C2O Pure Coconut Water, With Pulp, 17.5 Ounce (Pack of 12)
C2O Pure Coconut Water, With Pulp, 17.5 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Price: $23.45
7 used & new from $23.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Taste a bit "canny", March 14, 2015
Best one canned is Taste Nirvana. This one has a canny taste to me...

Sub Sports DUAL Men's Compression Base Layer Long Sleeve Top - Navy - S
Sub Sports DUAL Men's Compression Base Layer Long Sleeve Top - Navy - S
Offered by SUB SPORTS LTD
Price: $35.00
2 used & new from $22.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizes run small, March 14, 2015
really fit small. Returned it. I would say if you are a small in UA, perhaps get a medium? Not sure...but fit really small.

Barilla Collezione Pasta, Casarecce, 12 Ounce
Barilla Collezione Pasta, Casarecce, 12 Ounce
Price: $2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like sauce..., March 14, 2015
Really picks up the flavor of the sauce. Hate to blaspheme, but i love making tomato based pasta w meat...throwing the pasta and meat sauce together, then eating it the next day.
Pasta really soaks up the flavor.

La Croix Sparkling Water, Natural Berry Flavor (12 Count, 12 Fl Oz Each)
La Croix Sparkling Water, Natural Berry Flavor (12 Count, 12 Fl Oz Each)
Price: $2.00

2.0 out of 5 stars If you like cough syrup..., March 14, 2015
Only drink if really cold. If anything short of ice cold, will taste like cough syrup.

Under Armour Men's Resistor Low-Cut Socks 6-Pack, Black, Medium
Under Armour Men's Resistor Low-Cut Socks 6-Pack, Black, Medium
Price: $15.49
10 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars okay fit and comfort...for the first 6 months..., March 14, 2015
these socks are okay. They fit well and are comfortable. They are just not durable!
Like others, over about 6 months, ALL the socks developed holes at the tip of the big toe, as well as the base of the big toe.
Maybe others don't have this issue due the way the walk or run...I have a natural pronation when i run, if that helps.

DryGuy Wide-Body Boot and Glove Dryer
DryGuy Wide-Body Boot and Glove Dryer
Offered by 21st-Century-Goods
Price: $71.26
17 used & new from $56.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this, but didn't know you did., November 17, 2014
An absolute must if you have kids or go to a boxing gym.
This has been one of the most used purchases i have made on amazon. This is one of those things you don't realize you need, until you have it.
All those time your kids play out in the rain, mud, puddles, etc....this will come in handy. No more wet shoes the next day. Of course some people have laundry driers that can dry shoes, but this is so much more efficient.

ALSO. if you are a boxer and have gloves, this is invaluable. People tell you to wipe fabric softener or spray lysol in your gloves to mask odor or prevent odor...In the past i've used bags of cedar chips, or cedar chips in fine mesh socks....
This by far is the best thing. you can dry your gloves to delay the funk from setting in.
It's best to use this with new gloves, vs using it on gloves that already have the funk.

Nespresso GCA1-US-CH-NE VertuoLine Coffee and Espresso Maker, Chrome
Nespresso GCA1-US-CH-NE VertuoLine Coffee and Espresso Maker, Chrome
Price: $198.95
52 used & new from $128.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Never been a fan of nespresso machines, May 11, 2014
But others in my household are. When our Keurig broke and our Nespresso needed pods, we decided to give this unit a try.
Espresso is okay, not any better or worse than the prior Nespresso. The coffee is okay too, better than Keurig, but less selection and more pricey. The downfall? too much foam.
The foam is supposed to be a selling point, they call it "crema", which I really don't think it is. It's more like foam. A true espresso has crema, which is due to a combination of the freshness of the beans, the heat of the water, and the pressure that the machine pushes the water through the said beans. It's a combo of the oils and gasses released from the beans...True espresso has "crema". A cup of coffee should not, by nature of the way it is brewed. The foam is okay when the cup of coffee is fresh, but after a few minutes it is kind of gross and you just want to scoop it out.
I call it "Sea Foam".

Nikon Df 16.2 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera with AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition Lens (Black)
Price: $2,996.95
23 used & new from $2,273.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The iPhone of DSLRs, December 10, 2013
To me, it's like an iPhone. You either love it, or you hate it, but either way, you are aware it is seen as overpriced. If you hate it, it's overpriced. If you love it, that premium is more worth it. Not the most advanced phone/camera, not the most customizable, but it just works well. No fuss, no frills.

I really like this camera.
I've been shooting Nikon since I had a Nikon EM.
I've owned several of their APS-C models, most recently the 7000.
I've used the 3200 and 5300 recently.
I currently own a D800 and a Fujix100.

Annoying things...
1. Wish it had a wider spread of AF points. Not necessarily 51pt, just a wider spread. The 31 pt system was first used on a dx camera.
2. Wish it had the option for a battery grip
3. Wish that right sided strap lug was not in the way!
4. Wish the on and off switch had a notch instead of just being a dial.
5. Wish it had focus peaking in live view.
6. It can't trigger CLS without sb800 or SB700/910 or third party trigger.
7. Ergonomics-see below.
8. Doesn't focus down to light as low as -2 EV, and no AF assist light!!! Sucks for such a great low-light sensor!!!

For me, 6- 8 are the biggest issues. But none of this is a deal breaker. #8 is the worst though...It is solved with a flash though, but then see #6

So how does it compare to the d800?

Handling
D800 wins big time. I like how the d800 feels in my hand. I like the grip. I like the position of the shutter release button. I have no problem with the menus what so ever. I really don't need all those analog dials. I like how the d800 feels with a fast prime. I can hold the entire camera and shoot it comfortably with one hand.

Holding the Df with a large prime and trying to shoot it with one hand feels off balance and awkward. YOu really have to use two hands. You need to grip the camera with the right hand a specific way to avoid that lug and you have to support a heavy prime with the left hand.

I imagine the Df won't balance well with a big zoom.

I hope Nikon introduces new F2 primes. I'd love to have a 35mm f2 AF-S!

Auto-Focus- D800 wins again...
don't have an issue with the 39 AF points vs 51 of the d800, i just wish they were spread out over the image a bit more. Not a new complaint. I do think it doesn't focus as fast in low light compared to the d800. But that's not a surprise as I think the d800 focuses down to -2EV (night) and the Df is -1. It feels a bit more hesitant in the dark, which sort of sucks because the sensor is so great for low light. Reminds of how my D7000 used to hesitate.

I will say that I do not have to use AFFT on any of my lenses with Df. All my lenses have needed adjustment on my d800.

Build- Tie. both are magnesium and weather sealed.
Sensor- Tie. each one has their strength.
Battery life- Df, but i really wish it took the D800 batteries as i have 3 already.
WB- Does not lean towards green like the d800. looks better to me.

ANYWAY. blah blah blah. I'm sure you can read online, i think you'll find my opinion is no different than others who have compared the two.

How does it compare to my x100?

apples and oranges. you can't compare an aps-c mirrorless vs a full frame...I think both cameras have their purpose. I will keep my x100 as it is so discreet. What i love about the x100 is the quiet shutter and the focus peaking. I think if i'm casually going out with friends during the day, the fuji will be my first choice. If i'm going out with a group of people or to a function and the lighting will be decent and focusing not challenging, I'll take the fuji. It's small, not pretentious, and takes very nice images.

Why am i keeping it? It's really a great camera despite the negatives I've stated. after 1000 shots, it really is trouble free. As mentioned, it does what it is supposed to without any fuss or frills. Sure it's expensive, but based on absolute dollar number, it's cheaper than a leica, a d4, and some other FX cameras.

I think if you are looking for a first Nikon FX camera, get the 610 and save your money for glass. You can buy Nikon D610 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only), Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, and Nikon 28mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR lens for a smidge more than Nikon 1528 Df 16.2 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera with AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition Lens SLR Camera with 3.2-Inch LCD (Silver). Or even better, buy a Nikon d600 , send it in to nikon claiming "oil spots" and hopefully they'll switch out the shutter for the 610 shutter. Only get the Df if you have Fx glass. If you don't have Fx glass, again by the d610/600.

This is my family cam. This is the camera i will take with me when i go out with family and close friends. I really want nikon to make a new 35f2 G

Part of me thinks that "Df" means "DSLR Finale". as this should be nikon's last DSLR as they currently make them. They need to move towards a real "fusion" camera with an OVF/EVF with focus peaking and an AF system similar to Nikon 1.

*****UPDATE 12/27/2013*****
Just wanted to address some of the common complaints I've heard.
"It doesn't have SS of 1/8000"
-Honestly? who needs 1/8000? I understand if you want to shoot your 1.4 glass wide open during broad daylight, but chances are broad daylight is harsh light and the picture would look horrible because harsh shadows. the BETTER (for a non-pro without big strobes) way to shoot wide open during daylight is with an ND filter that allows you to shoot 1.4 with a SS of 1/250, or whatever your flash works at best and use a flash. Sure you can do auto-FP sync at 1/8000 for fill, but the flash is so weak at that shutter speed.

"AF struggles a bit compared to 51 point of the D800/e and D4."
Yes it does on the outer focus points. Best results for me have been back button focusing and using the center point and recomposing.
Not ideal, but gives me the best results.

"no autofocus assist lamp"
-I always turned mine off because it's annoying for my shooting needs. If its that dark and you need the bright white AF lamp, your subjects will squint and react negatively to bright "in your face" light. When it's that dark, i use the AF assist lamp on my flash.

I will say though, as much as i like the Df, using it has shown me how much camera the D800 is for the money. I'm starting to think that the Df is not expensive for what it is. I think the D800 is a bargain for what it is.

*****************UPDATE 1/26/2014********************
Have not used my Fujix100 or D800 in over a month.
I've even thought about selling them.
The Df really works for me. So far no issues at all. No lock up. no hanging, no focus issues with any of my lenses. Battery last 500+ (I've never tried to see how much i can shoot)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The BMW of gloves., August 22, 2013
Bought the 16 oz. gloves.

This is my third pair of training gloves. So a bit of background. Took martial arts for 6 years when i was in grade/high school. We didn't use gloves to punch bags or mits. We only used them to spar. Years later, it's time to get back into shape. I started with the $30 everlast gloves from academy. Those tore within 10 sessions. Bought the TITLE Gel Intense Bag Gloves, these where an amazing upgrade. Better padding, better quality, and what felt like pretty good wrist support. After several months, i was starting to get annoyed with the 360 wrap, it was always needing to be readjusted and wasn't really offering much wrist support. I get it. Wrist support comes from the wraps. But I wanted extra support. I don't want to have joint pain when i get older. Boxing is not my job, it's exercise and should be fun with minimal chance of injury.
I researched for a while. I researched about Fairtex, Windy, Ringside. I wanted good wrist support and gloves for the bag, not for sparring. A lot of reviews pointed to these hyabusas. However, it seems that on websites like SherDog, there is a lot of hate for this brand. Reported mediocre quality for premium prices. Also seems flashy and users are sort of seen as DB's like BMW owners. Well, I don't own a beemer, but i now own these and love them. excellent support. excellent velcro system. a bit flashy, but i'll get over it.
So far these are great. I've used them a few weeks. my only doubt at this point is the hand compartment. I feel that over time my fingers will eat through the padding. We'll see.
But for now, would not hesitate to buy these.

I am confused why people don't want to spend $100+ on gloves. You'll beat the bag, putting stress on your hands. Why not protect them? A lot of people who have day jobs depend on manual dexterity. Sure, i'm not a micro/neuro surgeon, but i need to maintain fine motor skills...So why put wear on your hands?
People spend $$$$ on running shoes only to walk around the mall or street. Confused....

Sigma 340306 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Lens for Nikon (Black)
Sigma 340306 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Lens for Nikon (Black)
Price: $899.00
38 used & new from $749.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to nikkor 35G, May 16, 2013
This lens is sharper and has that 3D look that the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G ED AF-S RF SWM Prime Wide-Angle Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras has.
This is my second copy of the Siggy. The first copy had significant focus issues, it was not amenable to AFFT on my D800.
This copy is tack sharp. I'm not going to test it on a focus chart because it seems perfect. 4 stars because my first copy was crap.

Okay, so compared the the nikon

Sigma better than Nikon 35mm f/1.4G AF-S FX SWM Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
1. Sharpness
2. 3D effect, the subject seems to pop out from the background.
3. Price

Nikon better than sigma
1. Weather sealed.
2. focus seems smoother and more sure of itself
3. Bokeh is less jittery, especially with leaves and small flowers in the background.
4. colors seem better. The sigma to me seems too saturated, especially the reds. Also, the sigma vignettes more and underexposes, it needs +1/3 EV sometimes (no big deal, but if you are batch processing a bunch of photos that you shot with different lenses...)

Nikon and Sigma almost equal
1. They both have a quality feel to it. The nikon is a bit more bulbous and the sigma a bit more sleek. I know people complain about the polycarbon feel of Nikon, but seriously, which is more high tech, aerospace material or steel? Would you want a heavy steel bike or a light polycarbon bike? especially if function was equal? The more I think about it, it still feels like a Sigma..Those of you who have owned sigma lenses will probably know what I mean. The only think different about it is the finish. The finish is a rubberized material as opposed to that crinkly paint they used to have. It is heavy, but like I alluded to before "heavy/tank" does not mean high quality. Not that I would shake a lens...but I feel if i shook my sigma, I'd feel bits rattle around. If I shake the Nikon, it would feel solid and tight. Stupid and subjective, but it's my review. So Nikon has a slightly better build, but only time will tell how much better. Will the sigma die? A reputable store told me how they sold a bunch of siggy filthy fifties, only to have the customers complain months out that the focus motors died or misfocused.

Reason to keep nikon over sigma.
1. Future proof. I don't care if sigma has a USB that allows you to update your lens. I don't have to with my nikon. That USB should be free, if that was the case.
2. You know Nikon or canon will do something to their bodies to make it harder than just a firmware update to get your lens to be compatible with future bodies.
3. I don't care what people say, I think sigma still has QC issues. My first lens was way off. Also, it's not realistic for a company to "turn it around" without a huge capital infusion. Have not heard of sigma getting millions of dollars to invest in new manufacturing equipment or have not heard about any lean processes to make sigma waste less to spend more on quality.

If money is not a factor or having the best overall lens is your goal or looking long term value (with a mirrored camera), and quality, get the nikon.

If you want the sharpest lens or like the 3D look, and you are only thinking of your current setup, willing to play "Sigma Roulette" and you'll worry about the future compatibility later, get the sigma.

If you're on a tight budget, i'd shoot the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras in FX or 1.2 crop and post process.

If you want to try something different. Get the Fujifilm X100S 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.8-Inch LCD (Silver). It's cheaper than the nikon and comes with an Xtrans sensor attached to the 35 f2.

Come on Nikon or Sigma, make a compact and cheaper 35 f2

UPDATE 5/20/13
THIS LENS IS FREAKING SHARP! But you knew that.
It's like the 24G, but 35. The rendering except the bokeh, is everything the Nikkor 35G should have been.

UPDATE 5/22/2013
So I've used this lens for a few days now. Again, sharp as hell. How sharp? okay so in my simple way of putting it...When you zoom in using the (+) button on your camera when you review an image, it's sharp down to the last tiny yellow square. The nikon would be about 1-2 frames behind that. I use the eyelash test, imagine sitting 3-4 feet across form someone and focusing on their eyelashes...

HOWEVER, A BIG NEGATIVE. Missed focus! I've had more than several shots misfocus. I absolutely am positive it is not from technique. These are relatively static subjects too. The first really obvious time was focusing on a distant object. The next several times were when using flash. Not sure why that is...I'm sure if more people complain about this on the net, Sigma will have a firmware update, but again...if sigma anticipated these issues, the USB docking station should have been included with the lens.

Update 1/27/2014
Selling this lens.
1. prefer 24 to 35. If i need 35, FOV, I just throw my Nikon Fx into Dx. 24g is lighter too.
2. 35 for me is a walkabout FL. I've been using my 35g Dx in Fx and fixing the corners in LR. Can't wait for the 35G fx.
3. Sharpness isn't everything.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 10:03 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10