Profile for PROBLEM CHILD > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PROBLEM CHILD RSS Feed (Henderson, NV)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder
by Arianna Stassinopoulos Huffington
Price: $14.20
148 used & new from $7.93

1.0 out of 5 stars More Millions $$$ for Arianna HUffington YAY!!!, July 11, 2014
Arianna was a liberal, then a conservative, and then a liberal again (sourced from Wikipedia) and I'm pretty sure that the way she cashed in on a liberal image has pretty much sealed the deal and that she won't switch for a third time.
Basically she has amassed a personal fortune from monetizing liberal topics in the media, and when she found--as she says--that she had burned out, she wrote a book to monetize that as well.
This book has nothing original in it apart from some of her own personal experiences, so if you're really interested you can spend $23 to find out about those. (You'll probably have worked a lot harder for that $23 than she will have.) Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing you couldn't find somewhere else, probably for free. Huffington is really good at working the cult of personality which she has built up around herself, that's why there's a picture of her face on everything she's written recently in order to promote it. And you can bet that for her, this so-called "third metric" is at best a really, really, really distant third--as the first two are money and power--and in fact nothing more than a marketing gimmick to monetize her burn out.
As you'll see for yourself, the "third metric" itself is a pretty fluffy concept, in essence a feel-good moment to be shared among fellow CEOs and multimillionaires--but nothing that they wouldn't have thought of themselves and nothing anyone else could possibly relate to. For more detail on that, I defer to one of the spotlight reviews by reviewer "Wallaby" who directly and concisely spells out the reality of the content of this book and the big nothing that Thrive really amounts to in terms of value add over and above information that's available elsewhere. People describe an "Arriana Huffington" "way" when it comes to mindfulness, spirituality and so on, and for her books that "way" probably includes paying to get through her information that you can get somewhere else for free.
I hope this review was helpful. Thank you for your kind attention.

The Pueblo Indians of North America
The Pueblo Indians of North America
by Edward P. Dozier
Price: $23.70
61 used & new from $0.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a "Pueblo Indians For Dummies", December 31, 2013
This survey takes major topics relating to pueblo Indians, discussing different pueblo groups mostly for the sake of comparing and contrasting to better understand those general topics. So this book more of a thematic overview than a detailed discussion.
Dozier was a top rank scholar (Wikipedia has an article about him--highly recommended) and you can feel his passion for the facts and personal commitment to an objective study. The book is an academic work and reads almost technical at many points but shouldn't overwhelm most readers, though it's definitely not light reading or any kind of "Pueblo Indians for Dummies".
As my first read on the topic, it made me want to learn more so I have just ordered Ortiz's book on the Tewa pueblos. There was some really surprising information in here, that other reviewers have alluded to.
It might take a few pages to get used to Dozier's clunky, old-school academic prose, but I found it absolutely worth the effort.

11 Practice Tests for the SAT and PSAT, 2014 Edition (College Test Preparation)
11 Practice Tests for the SAT and PSAT, 2014 Edition (College Test Preparation)
by Princeton Review
28 used & new from $14.70

5.0 out of 5 stars 30 Years--and Runnin', September 20, 2013
I came back to Amazon to see if the Princeton Review was still going because now my boy is in 10th grade and he's going to have to face this SAT thing. I myself used this exact same book, Cracking The SAT, some 30 years ago. It really helped me then, and I can see, from it's sales volume on Amazon and reviewer references to the strategies, that it has completely stood the test of time.
HERE'S THE THING:
Most of you don't need much if any review of the actual subjects, yeah, the overall English or Math. In fact you most likely, and rightly, think that you mastered those pretty well along the way, got A's and B's on the tests, etc., right?
In fact it's precisely because you are confident in the subjects that you'll walk in to the SAT totally cold; You'll blow off the strategy aspect, which is where the test will kill you, because ***the devil is in how the questions and answers are set up***, NOT in how deep your subject knowledge is.
HERE'S WHERE "CRACKING THE SAT" COMES IN:
Some SAT prep books are mainly subject review. They are not much more than just mini-English, or mini-Math review courses, with some practise questions that are composed by the authors of that book--just for the sole purpose of testing your subject knowledge.
But, again, the actual SAT is NOT testing how deeply you know the subjects. This book does has a few pages to call your attention to KEY PARTS of the subject matter, a relatively few points that are very commonly used on the REAL SAT. From there, Cracking The SAT takes you into the mindset of the people who make the test, so that you can then decode the test by recognizing different question types, spotting clues in the answer choices and through a number of other really practical techniques.
Going through actual practise tests, applying these techniques and then watching your score go up and up and up will be one of the coolest feelings ever and make you A LOT more confident about your college apps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2013 3:48 PM PST

Hit & Run: Revisited
Hit & Run: Revisited
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $23.31
26 used & new from $4.18

5.0 out of 5 stars "Oh yeah that chick band on my Motorhead album.", April 10, 2013
This review is from: Hit & Run: Revisited (Audio CD)
I haven't reviewed anything in a long time, no time to, but this is truly exciting. This is a re-recording, in 2011, of an album by Girlschool, Hit and Run, that they originally put out in 1981--one of the peak years of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, which is exactly what this music is. So there are a few things that it isn't. Not to say anything against other genres, but just to clarify: this is not thrash, or speed metal. There's nothing here that's like what you'd find on a Metallica or say Slayer album. It's definitely not grunge. And most of all, it's nothing like most of the heavy metal put out by bands some of whom were big and truly great back in the day but seem to have lost their focus.
This is rock.
This is old-school, wheel to the ground, smashing, thrashing, in-your face New Wave of British Heavy Metal like it has rarely been done since around 1980. If you have and love say, Killers by Iron Maiden, Ace of Spades by Motorhead and/or Appetite for Destruction by Guns and Roses, then this rerecording was made for YOU. Listening to it took me right back to the first time I listened to any of those three albums in the 80's. Every single song smoked and sizzled, made your hair stand up and made you say "[...] YEAH!!!"
5 stars? Absolutely! I'll be adding some notes about each song below. Meanwhile, if this review has resonated with your musical tastes, be good to yourself and pick this up.
C'MON LET'S GO
This starts off with a guy snorning--pretty bold way to start off a metal album if you think about it. The motorcycle engine starting impression done on guitar probably woke that sucker up! Then comes the pounding, baby! (Denise you punish the [...] out of those skins the whole album. You rock like no other, and that's why I love you so very, very much.)
The punk roots of NWOBHM really shine through on this song, and the vocals give just the right amount of added grit for the perfect way to kick off a kick [ass] album.
THE HUNTER
The way the chords integrate on this song really reminds me of Scorpions, and the song could have gone right on Scorpions Blackout album and kicks just as much [...] either here or there. Black Out, by the way, came out in '82, a year after the original recording of this album. If you have Blackout, you'll know what I'm saying here. If you don't, then you really just need to get it.
(I'M YOUR) VICTIM
You definitely get a thoroughly sizzling beginning to an incredibly heavy song, definitely on par with anything on Appetite for Destruction, which came out in the late 80's. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that G & R cite Girlschool as one of their influences. Violently heavy! The vocals give a little grit on this song, though mostly the vocals on this album are just straightforward in a way that's kind of surreal given the incredibly heavy sound overall on this album.
KICK IT DOWN
Here you've got another song that starts like a bat out of hell! This song could have gone right on Ace of Spades (yeah, it's that good). It's at least as heavy as anything there, with skin pounding and a totally relentless twin guitar attack throughout. There could definitely be some mutual influence between Motorhead and Girlschool, and I know credit, well it's blame actually, is given to Lemmy inside the cover for his support over the years.
This is one of the two more contemplative songs on the album, still heavy as [...]. The vocal style is straightforward here, very pretty and feminine--really nice vocals, and fits in great with this heavy number. There seem to be a lot of minor notes and there's a haunting feeling you get listening. This song doesn't remind me of any other band, but stands up to anything else on the album. Love this one.
TUSH
Obviously this is the cover of the ZZ top song, heavy as anything, and with 2 guitar solos. [...] that was heavy! Definitely feeds the beast and I can always relate to what they're saying here. (And what can I say, Girlschool, if you ever make it to Vegas, and you ain't asking for much, I can probably meet any one or all of you half way on that one :p.) Only thing is they shouldn't say they've been good, when they've only been bad!
HIT AND RUN
This is yet another totally killer track taking us to 7 straight. If this doesn't earworm on you then something is really, really not right. I LOVE the guitar solo and how it's backed up--makes my hair stand up every time, just mighty! Again, I'm reminded of G&R. Or, more accurately, G&R reminds me of this. There's a way that for G&R, when they are at the top of their game, their songs don't *play*, they rage. Violently heavy is the only way I can describe it.
WATCH YOUR STEP
Just as on the opening track you can really hear the punk influence in this fast-paced rocker. But punk is maybe more than just an influence here. The song opens just like you might expect something off of G & R Appetite for Destruction, and never lets up from there.
BACK TO START
This is the other contemplative song on the album, contemplative, not *soft*. Nothing can celebrate that chaotic beauty that is electric guitar like open chords. Think of Running With The Devil, by Van Halen, the opening and choruses, how all it takes is some open chords sizzling in the air and the song shreds! I like this song in the same way as that VH number. I've picked up the original recording of Hit And Run, and this song wound up the most different from it's original version, in a way to highlight the guitar in a way that is heavy and awesome. This song really stood out to me right way first listen of the wholererecorded album, and I also love the gentle, straighforward vocals that sound so good against the heavy-as-[...] instrumental rhythm. Compilation albums seem to ignore this track, but hopefully future compilations will at least pick up this version of this song. I love, love it!!!
CAN'T DO THAT
This is the nod to been-there-done-that-don't-even-go-there-get-out-of-my-face-you-middle-aged-mother [...] teenage rebellion! This song got a lot of attention I gather when the original version came out in '81. I think I can here accents a little bit this time around. When they say "Yeah, Right!", it falls somewhere between "Yeah, right", and "Yeah, royt!" Love their accents, so cute, haha. And you've got another really smoking guitar solo coming at you again. I'm telling you that you really gotta be ready when you put this album on. The soloing is great not for it's technicality, but for how catchy it is and how well it fits in with the song. If you like that about Fast Eddie, you'll be in your element listening. (Oh Girlschool, stay with this sound and don't ever change!)
FUTURE FLASH
Heavy rhythm and gritty vocals and some sinister touches support the refrain "Out to get you", and the guitar solo will drive home the urgency of the situation. I've been fans of some bands, but never a groupie. Until now. (So if you're out to get me, then here I am, baby, here I am!) Again, bearing in mind that all this material long preceded anything by Guns and Roses, this song rocks in a way where it would hold it's own against anything on Appetite, for thrashing, smashing--for anything. I would seriously LOVE to hear G & R covering Girlschool, and vice-versa.
DEMOLITION BOYS
From their first album, Demolition, this track is really suitable for a heavier makeover as it does sound more in the vein of Hit And Run than it does like most songs from Demolition (also highly recommended to you). The pounding rhythm (no rest for Denise here) and crashing chords make this number extra heavy.

Then there's another version of C'mon Let's Go, the same except sung by Doro, so you might like that if you're a follower there. Anyway, it's hard to relate with the written word how much your ear loves something, but hopefully I've conveyed some of my excitement for this album to you. And my references to other bands come not because those bands have better material than this, but just because getting the proper promotion and exposure they are the bands that rose to set the standard here in the U.S. where most people reading this review will probably be from.
Obviously, it's my hope that you buy this and enjoy it as much as I did. I think it will help make your year.

*Note about buying early Girlschool albums: Avoid this or that "import", or older additions put up for sale often $50 or more EACH. Instead, you can get Collection for about ten bucks, or you can go deaper and get full versions of Girlschool's first four albums (includes Demolition, H & R and the next two albums for about 30 bucks, at least at time of writing) in a box set called Bronze Years. That's what I did, no regrets.

Banana Cutter
Banana Cutter
Offered by MetaRetail
Price: $3.99
9 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It seems like a good product., December 16, 2012
This review is from: Banana Cutter
It's definitely cutting edge as far as slicers go.
I just bought the Hutzler 571. I've got my ear to the ground for a prototype of the 572. Depending on any developments there, I may go with this or I may go with the Hutzler 572 if they do come out it.

Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer
Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer
Price: $3.22
49 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Guys: don't use it while naked, omg, Meat Coins!!!, December 16, 2012
But it is SO much better than the 570...
I was wondering what was taking so long with development for the new model, thinking maybe it was problems with cash for R&D or something, but when this came I could see it was worth the wait. The *slicer* just keeps getting better and better.
Thanks Hutzler - you really do listen!
btw, I've got my ear to the ground for any word on the prototype for the fabled 572.
Also, it would be GREAT to see something like this for toast because I've got the banana all nice n sliced and then I'm always just stuck with this hot, buttered yummy-looking toast that I can never do anything with.

Gear Aid Freesole Urethane Formula Shoe Repair 1oz
Gear Aid Freesole Urethane Formula Shoe Repair 1oz
Offered by Triple Play
Price: $8.72
32 used & new from $2.04

5.0 out of 5 stars This stuff is NUTS!!!, October 24, 2012
It didn't seem as runny to me as the reviews said it was. It's maybe a bit more viscous than your regular Elmer's glue, which makes it pretty easy to use. Btw, it dries transparent with a glossy look to it.
BUT you HAVE to get it right the first time with this stuff, because once it dries you're not going to have a chance to redo the job for a long, long time. In fact, just forget about it.
Also, wipe the spout clean before you recap, or else you can also forget about ever being able to open the tube again. But if that happens, just poke a new hole somewhere in the tube. And not to worry, the hole will seal all by itself.
Needless to say, the repairs to my walking shoes with this stuff seem incredibly solid, and it beat the hell out of shelling out whatever $ for brand new ones.

Silent Sleep SIZE: SLIM nose
Silent Sleep SIZE: SLIM nose

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids just laughed when I told them..., April 7, 2012
"Yeah", I said,"They got this plastic trinket on Amazon and I'm gonna jam it up my nose. It'll stop my snoring and help me sleep".
The first night I used it the kids could still hear the snoring. But I've been using it for a couple weeks now and I've noticed that I've been getting a good night's sleep every night, and sleeping is something I've had major problems with for most of my adult life. I didn't buy it really thinking I'd use it forever, but it's looking like I will be. I'll have to check in with the kiddos again on how the snoring is coming along, but if I can just keep getting a good night's sleep every night that's more than enough reason right there. Not only do I have more productive time each day but also I'm able to feel sharper and work better during all of my productive time. This is especially welcome as I'm forging a new career. Thank you for this little doohickey-good item!!!

Update, 4/6/13: I'm still using it. Washing and putting it back in its container in the bathroom drawer is just part of my morning routine now just like brushing my teeth. Hopefully I never go on a trip and then have to curse myself for forgetting it. Anyway, it's definitely essential for a good night's sleep. I've had the best year of sleep of my entire adult life. HIGHLY recommended if you don't sleep well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum! and a fraction of the price of others on Amaz., June 4, 2011
This stuff is fresh and smells great!
Ingredients as listed:
"CUMIN, CLOVES, GINGER, BLK. PEPPER, CORIANDER, CINNAMON, SALT, CARDAMON"
I just threw it into some curried lentils, with great results. You get a lot and quality seems to be very good, so great value here. I'm really looking forward to all the things I'm going to make with this jar of it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2011 3:34 PM PDT

Crosman Silver Eagle Lead .177 Caliber Free Pellets, 250-Pack
Crosman Silver Eagle Lead .177 Caliber Free Pellets, 250-Pack
Offered by Outfitter Country
Price: $11.95
9 used & new from $10.67

1.0 out of 5 stars These Crosman pellets jammed in my Crosman pellet gun., December 18, 2010
They might work in some guns, but I tried 6 or 7 in my Crosman pump pellet pistol--the American Classic 1377--and they all got jammed right in the loading port. People will assume that these will work in any Crosman pellet gun unless they are given clear indication otherwise, but there's no information whatsoever on the packaging or in this Amazon product description to the effect that these might not work in all Crosman pellet guns. The instructions for my gun state in one place that the ammo is lead pellets and in another place that any Crosman pellets will work in it.
As soon as I tried the regular lead Crosman/Benjamin pellets my gun fired fine from the very first shot. These lead-free pellets might work in other Crosman airguns but the company is not at all clear on that point, and as these are not cheap--at least double the price of regular, lead pellets--I feel people need to be warned.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2012 5:32 PM PDT