Profile for Tiger > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 726

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tiger RSS Feed (San Jose, CA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Safety 1st OnBoard Plus Infant Car Seat, Plumberry
Safety 1st OnBoard Plus Infant Car Seat, Plumberry
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $169.99
12 used & new from $167.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Install & Use, October 27, 2014
Length:: 8:05 Mins

It is easy to install & use. It was pretty quick to install any of 3 ways -- base with latch/ISOPOS, base with seat-belt, carrier-only with seat-belt. The handle feels comfortable, rubber grip, and can be easily moved and locked into 4 positions. It effortlessly releases and attaches back to the base with a single release handle. It has variable harness positions as the infant grows and a single pull strap to tighten down the harness. And the cover can be easily extended or pushed back. The extra cushion for the smaller infants can be removed as it grows. You can remove and hand-wash the cover and the insert. It seemed flexible, sturdy, and easy to use. We are happy with ours.

It was pretty quick to install any of 3 ways - (1) base with latch / ISOPOS system, (2) base with seat-belt, or (3) carrier-only with seat-belt. Plus it gives you instructions everywhere with pictures that were easy to follow. The instruction book itself was pretty good, and even has a spot on the carrier itself to store the book if you ever need it. Then without the book there are instruction stickers on the carrier itself and in two places on the base. So you or anyone should be able to install it into any situation. It only installs rear facing. Do consult your car's manual too so you know for sure how your seat-belts work and what it recommends for car seat installation, as well as the car seat's manual.

It is hard to think of something missing. It is only for infants up to 35lbs and 32" tall, so it is designed specifically for infants, so you'll need another car seat once they outgrow it. Color/style depends on your preference. The cushions are only hand-washable, but that is better than some that you can only wipe down, and I'm not sure any are machine washable.

SanDisk Extreme 64GB UHS-I/U3 SDXC Memory Card Up To 60MB/s Read-SDSDXN-064G-G46 [Newest Version]
Price: $44.99
19 used & new from $42.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Brand, Fast, Plenty of Room for HD Video, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Reliable brand, fast, and plenty of room for HD video and pictures. I record a HD video in my Sony HD Camcorders and already have several SanDisk SDHC Extreme cards (a few 16GB and a 32GB) that I have been very happy with. High end device manuals will list the write rate (in MB/s) for different resolution choices. It should also identify a minimum SD card speed, often "Class 10" or "UHS-I" (both of which this more than supports), which guarantee minimums like 10 MB/s for "class 10". But you will notice your device may be attempting to write much faster than that for higher resolutions. The device is supposed to manage, but it could mean slower times between shots or dropped frames or resolution scaling depending on how it manages a slower card than its write rate. This card's 40MB/s write (which is "up to" not guaranteed rate) should mean it can handle your video or photos effortlessly. I have never had a problem with video quality or delays using SanDisk Extreme cards. The "Extreme" is actually not their top tier, which is the "Extreme Pro", but this should be great for most people. Just check your manual to know your write rates. I am very happy with mine.

It is an SDXC (XC = extreme capacity) which isn't necessarily compatible with everything that accepts SDHC (HC = high capacity), although it might work fine. Just beware if your older device doesn't mention SDXC support, it may not support the size. Although my camcorder's manual only listed SDHC, it recognized, formatted, and used this SDXC card just fine.

Size-wise, it is great for HD video. At my usual HD resolution, I could record 3.5 hours or so on 16GB, so I just had a few 16GB cards. But this 64GB card can record over 15 hours, which seems luxurious compared to using 16GB cards. Of course higher resolutions and newer devices (4K resolutions) will make this seem smaller like how my 16GB card feels today. But honestly, I'm happy with even the 16GB card, and they are so small you can carry extras with you. But with 64GB I can just forget about it.

Hitachi DS18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Compact Driver Drill
Hitachi DS18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Compact Driver Drill
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Drill, September 29, 2014
Length:: 9:56 Mins

We love this drill. We just used it for a home improvement project over a few weekends and it really delivered (where another didn't). It comes with a nice hard case for easy storage, 2 batteries (which I strongly recommend for any drill), plenty of power for drilling wood & screws, a nice light, good settings, a trigger with gradual control, and overall great control. The light works surprisingly well, located at the base and angles up, instead of right at the bottom of the drill head (like some other) so it actually gives you more light without casting a shadow. Both my wife and I highly recommend this drill.

The only drawback is that it doesn't have a magnetic strip for holding screws (like my Ryobi) which is incredibly useful, but instead you get a useful light.

We loved our 8-year old Ryobi One+ (2005) whose batteries are about dead now. So I we got the light duty Black & Decker LDX120C as a backup drill. It never felt great in use, and really let us down, couldn't even keep drilling studs. Then we got this drill, and this one delivered. I still bought another Ryobi on sale to get new batteries, but haven't had to open the box yet. If this were my only drill, I would be very happy.

Ankuoo NEO Wi-Fi Smart Switch with Home Automation App for iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, iPod Touch and Android Smartphones and Tablets
Price: $36.99
2 used & new from $36.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Remote Control & Timer, But Failed My Android (nice support though), August 27, 2014
Length:: 9:46 Mins

It worked easily on my iPhone 5S, but failed to configure on my Android Galaxy Note 3 (which doesn't seem to be reported by anyone else). It is quite easy to configure. Once you download the NEO app by Ankuoo it will walk you through it as well. Once configured, it does what you expect. You can remotely turn it on and off, configure a countdown timer, scheduled timer, or security timer. My interest was in remote control on/off to turn on a light in a dark house when we arrive home after dark, and to easily configure a security timer more easily than the old style manual timers. It claims 15A 1800W support, which is about the max you would do on a normal home circuit.

The biggest drawback was that it failed to configure on my Android Galaxy Note 3. I contacted Ankuoo by email support and they were very friendly, responded the next day, and continued to follow up with me. They said they specifically tested with a Galaxy Note 3 too. I don't see other reports of configuration failures, so maybe this isn't a common issue. Just try it within the return policy period. Second, there was a minor bug that caused 3 instances of the same switch to appear in the app, but was easily fixed by completely closing the app and re-opening. Otherwise just make sure it matches your decor if it is going to be visible.

MOTOROLA K702B DECT 6.0 Cordless Phone System with Caller ID & Answering System (2-Handset System)
Offered by GeekZilla.
Price: $81.06
2 used & new from $72.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent Home System, Mostly Depends on Preference, August 14, 2014
Length:: 9:56 Mins

It is a decent home phone system with the standard set of features you expect in this price range, some advantages, and a few disadvantages. The buttons are the rubber squishy feel (which is a matter of opinion). It has rather good button placement (also a matter of opinion). I really like the mute button on the upper left next to my thumb to use without looking. Unique to this phone is volume up/down and audio boost on the sides that are easy to adjust while on a call. The battery lasts slightly over a week (when new). I like that these phones are thick enough to stand upright on their end, which is easy to grab. The audio sounds fine, standard for a digital phone, better than a cell phone. You can adjust audio with equalizer setting buried in menus, but not easily while on a call. The LCD screen is the standard black & white, nothing special, back-lit only by the orange glow. I like the large easy buttons on the answering system.

Drawbacks: (1) The answering system has an extra light that shines when the handset rests in it, not so great in a bedroom at night. I just put a picture frame in front. (2) There is no headset mini-jack port which once used to be common among cordless phones but has disappeared on most. No Bluetooth headset support either. (3) You cannot listen to messages from the handsets, unlike some systems. (4) A light blue energy star logo on the front of the answering system stands out from the black look. Rest is preference.

The K70 series offers models that come with varied numbers of handsets as identified in the last digit - K701, K702, K703, & K704 which come with 1, 2, 3, & 4 handsets respectively. This is the K702 that has 2 handsets. I haven't found a truly excellent cordless home phone system in 8 years or more, probably due to impact of smart phones. It doesn't have everything, but it has enough, a few things I like more, and little I will miss. It replaced my AT&T CL82 series whose batteries were dying.

Motorola K701B Dect 6.0 1-Handset Cordless Phone with Caller ID and Answering System

Length:: 9:56 Mins

The K70 series offers models that come with varied numbers of handsets as identified in the last digit - K701, K702, K703, & K704 which come with 1, 2, 3, & 4 handsets respectively. This is the K701 that has 1 handset. I haven't found a truly excellent cordless home phone system in 8 years or more, probably due to impact of smart phones. It doesn't have everything, but it has enough, a few things I like more, and little I will miss. It replaced my AT&T CL82 series whose batteries were dying.

Motorola K704B DECT 6.0 Cordless Digital Home Phone with 4 Handsets, Black
Motorola K704B DECT 6.0 Cordless Digital Home Phone with 4 Handsets, Black
Price: $69.99
33 used & new from $58.07

Length:: 9:56 Mins

The K70 series offers models that come with varied numbers of handsets as identified in the last digit - K701, K702, K703, & K704 which come with 1, 2, 3, & 4 handsets respectively. This is the K704 that has 4 handsets. I haven't found a truly excellent cordless home phone system in 8 years or more, probably due to impact of smart phones. It doesn't have everything, but it has enough, a few things I like more, and little I will miss. It replaced my AT&T CL82 series whose batteries were dying.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2014 12:55 PM PDT

Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4630 Wireless Color All-in-One Inkjet Printer with Scanner and Copier
Price: $199.99
50 used & new from $160.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Economical Power House that Improves Upon the 4530/4540, August 3, 2014
Length:: 9:58 Mins

This is a great, economical, high performing printer. It is noticeably improved from the previous model, the Epson WP-4530 / WP-4540. I owned and loved the WP-4540 as my primary printer. This WF-4630/WF-4640 improves upon the 4530/4540 by: (1) A noticeably better color touch screen that is more colorful, more responsive, better audio cues. (2) Has more options and features. (3) Scans faster at higher resolution levels. It continues the benefits of fast printing, duplex (2-sided) printing, fast scanning, duplex (2-sided) scanning, easy setup and software, great wireless, economical printing with large capacity 786 & 786XL ink cartridge support, great print quality, and just being a power house. This seems to be a decent upgrade.

The only difference in the WF-4640 vs WF-4630 is whether or not it comes with an optional second paper tray to place under the unit that is the same otherwise. I have the WP-4540 that has the extra tray, and decided not to use it because it made the printer larger and I just didn't need the capacity before reloading in my home office. I use duplex printing and scanning a lot on the previous model (WP-4540). I love that it just mounts the USB port as a remote drive, so I just leave a USB key plugged in and copy the files from my PC. Scanning directly to PC (on the old model at least) was significantly slower and didn't offer many of the options for some reason. After a short while, scanning would sometimes pull in too many pages at a time, so I just feed them one at a time when I hear the audible click when the existing page is pulled in far enough. Two sided scanning works sell, but if too many pages pile up in the output, it can suck some previous pages back in from the output tray as it pulls the current page back for a second pass or to flip it.

The only concern I have is whether or not the 4630/4640 fixes the common internal defect that plagued the 4530/4540. After a year, many 4530/4540s would leak yellow ink in a single line down the center of the page until exhausted, ruining output for a while, until you ended up with a high quality black & white printer. Mine was affected by that, but Epson replaced mine free of charge after the warranty expired. My WP-4540 still has some banding on color output sometimes. I am just hoping the 4630/4640 has rooted out the problem. Btw, my Epson Workforce 840 that I infrequently print to has never had a problem. Only time will tell. But everything else about it shows me that they improved a number of things.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 6:56 PM PDT

AmazonBasics 24-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket
Price: $179.99
5 used & new from $154.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Size, Surprisingly Movable, Middle-Tier Value Shredder, July 28, 2014
Length:: 9:58 Mins

This shredder gives you more in basic shred capability than smaller, cheaper under the desk shredders. It is surprisingly movable, more than any shredder I own, with (1) rollers (that roll easily on hard surfaces), (2) handles that make it easy enough to carry (not all larger shredders do), and (3) doesn't weigh too much to carry. Its power cord is nicely oriented downward out the back so it can easily hug the wall. The 7-gallon bin is much larger than under the desk models, easily opens and closes, supports a bag, and has a bag catch to help with holding the bag tightly. Its slot is oriented so that you need to push paper in from the front, not straight down, which is actually a bit more natural to hit it straight on. It has 3 buttons, on/off, force forward or reverse, and automatically runs as paper is inserted. Overall it has a lot to like if compared to smaller, cheaper alternatives.

Drawbacks are: (1) The manual says never to insert envelopes with windows (of which I get plenty of such in junk mail). (2) It feels a bit basic, plastic feel, and not as refined as some (especially compared to significantly more expensive shredders), most notably with the buttons. (3) It still audibly stresses a bit as you pack more in it (like most shredders of its caliber). (4) It doesn't automatically turn off like some energy efficient models (but it is easy enough to use the big button). (5) It is not 100% jam-proof, so don't expect miracles, but it has jam prevention features that should help. (6) The bin isn't as big as you might think looking at the front door because the door extends a bit higher than the bin itself. These are not really flaws in its design, just what to expect at its tier. It is still 1/3 the price of more expensive tiers that may offer more refinement.

I own and love my Fellowes 125Ci at the next tier, but that is in another league and price point. This strikes a balance in the middle. It seems much better than my old Royal Confetti Cut under-the-desk shredder that it will replace in another room. Remember to oil your shredder routinely (once a month or every time you empty the bin). I use Fellowes Shredder Oil (35250) that came with my Fellowes shredder. The AmazonBasics shredder didn't come with oil or bags out of the box, but it says you can use shredder oil or just vegetable oil.

Remember to oil your shredder.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2014 11:25 AM PST

CrossWays: The Path to Victory is Not Always a Straight Line
CrossWays: The Path to Victory is Not Always a Straight Line
Offered by PA Overstock
Price: $18.58
33 used & new from $9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fairly Quick, Little Strategy & Some Luck, July 27, 2014
Length:: 9:00 Mins

If you like Sequence, you will probably like this game. It is fun, plays fairly quickly so you can play several times rather than one marathon game. It has some strategy (defensive and offensive) so it isn't just random and can keep you engaged and thinking a little bit. But it isn't really a strategy game. It has a good amount of luck. So it never feels like the same person always wins and isn't very serious. Game length are fairly short, so you can easily play several rounds, so it seems like everyone has a chance. If one person draws a bunch of pairs, it can be over pretty quickly. Other times by luck and defensive strategies it can take a little longer.

The instructions are very nice, large, colorful with good examples, so it is much easier to read than the usual back of the cardboard box. It actually suggests a number of optional rules, but you can easily come up with more on your own too. So the game is very flexible. For example, you can decide that only the top color on a stack counts, so you can block more often and make games run longer. I think it is nice that there is more ways you can play it so you can change it up if it gets stale.

You basically draw 5 cards, and make one play per turn. Playing a single card can place a piece on one of two spaces for that card value and color. Pair, triples, or more of the same value will let you play 2,3, or more pieces on any space. Runs (sequences of 2 or more in same suit) can remove the number of pieces as cards played. You just need to build a snake across the board in either direction using horizontal and vertical connections (diagonal doesn't count). You can play on top of others, but level doesn't matter (at least not by standard rules).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20