ARRAY(0xa291e918)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 622

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tiger RSS Feed (San Jose, CA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotch Box Sealing Tape Dispenser H122, 2 in
Scotch Box Sealing Tape Dispenser H122, 2 in
Price: $27.49
33 used & new from $25.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Displenser, Easy & Convenient, Love It After 17+ Years, November 3, 2013
Length:: 5:32 Mins

I have used this dispenser for 17-18 years, and I absolutely love it. I found one 17-18 years ago, I found it so easy to use, and I kept it ever since. I used it at a job, used it for 3 moves, and still use it to pack any box that I need to ship. My wife loves it too. We recently moved, and had more stuff than ever, and constructing and sealing boxes was trivial with this. Sharing just one, we would have to go find who had it last when we needed it, so I just got a second one. The 17+ year old one is still as good as ever. The only servicing I ever had to do was to trivially pinch gunk off the cutter maybe 3 times in 17 years. Compared to no-dispenser and most other dispensers that I have tried, this is a dream.

It is easy to pop on and off rolls of tape, and they will never fall off. You run the tape out sticky-side up, unlike the little scotch tape dispensers for your desk. It has prongs that hold the tape out so it is always ready and never gets stuck back on the roll. The cutter works very well, and doesn't get as gunked up with the sticky side facing away from the cutter. It is easy to hold with the plastic through the hole. It has a hand brake on top that you really don't even think about but works to control the rate you dispense as you naturally squeeze when you hold it. It is very easy to attach the tape to start, just pull to the end of the strip, and push down on the cutter (as shown in the video). It is also small and compact so it easily stores on a shelf in the office without taking much space. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with it.

Belkin Micro-USB Charging Cable
Belkin Micro-USB Charging Cable
Price: $19.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Cable, Holds Well, but Slightly Bulky Connectors, November 3, 2013
Length:: 4:53 Mins

It is a decent 6 foot micro USB cable. The connectors holds on pretty well, tighter than my existing cable, but not overly tightly either. I've had some cables that held too tightly that seemed to require too much force to remove, but this strikes a good balance. The cable is a little thicker than some, which might help protect the cable when strung out 6 feet. The plastic connectors are a bit bulky. The underlying metal connectors themselves seemed identical to any others that I have had, except about the tightness which I think it strikes a good balance. The cable overall seems like a decent cable that does the job, but doesn't seem special or supple like some premium cables if you wanted it to feel elegant.

The plastic grip at the connectors is slightly bulky compared to some other cables. The plastic on the micro connector is as thick as my Nokia Lumia 910. On both ends, the plastic grip is overall larger (longer and ticker) than the cable that came with my phone. It might be a positive for some if you wanted more to grip onto. For others, it just makes the cable feel a bit less elegant than some cables.

But make sure you actually need a micro USB 2.0. It is very close in size to mini USB 2.0. Micro USB 3.0 is not the same connector as micro USB 2.0. I compare and show the ports & connectors in the video if you are unsure. But at the time of this review, most non-Apple smart phones seem to use micro USB 2.0.

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote with Customizable Touch Screen and Closed Cabinet RF Control - Black (915-000201)
Price: Click here to see our price
18 used & new from $209.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Built Remote, Excellent Easy Software, But Depends on Touch vs Buttons Preference, August 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is essentially an upgraded Harmony Touch, with RF control, and tweaks. For the remote itself and software, please see my video review of the Touch. The Ultimate has all the pros & cons of the Touch, but adds some nice features that are only positive over the Touch. But the touch-screen oriented remote itself is still the biggest point of debate depending on your preference. Like the Touch, the bottom line is that if you are a physical remote power user -- hold the remote one-handed & frequently use press physical buttons without looking, it is nowhere near as easy as the One or 900 were, so I say 3-star. But if you prefer touch screens and don't mind two-handing it to play/pause/forward/back, I'd say 5-star. The Harmony Smart Control is an interesting alternative with RF and usable physical buttons. Compared to the Touch, you have to like RF enhancements and tweaks. For me, I'm torn between the Smart Control and Ultimate as two polar choices about what to do about the touch screen, integrate or use your existing. Aside from one-handed use preferences, there is a lot to like about the Ultimate.

I have the One (discontinued), 900 (discontinued), Simple Control, Touch, & (this) Ultimate. See my Touch video review for a contrast to the One & 900 which when one-handed buttons were ergonomically perfect. The new line of remotes have their advantages over the One & 900, including much better online software, easy on-remote configuration without having to connect to a PC, and a much bigger main IR blaster. For the Ultimate, you can still optionally use IR from the remote depending on device, they improved the RF to IR, no line-of-sight for IR needed, and the return of lots of configurable choices. Drawbacks are: (1) Limited one-handed physical button usage (same as Touch). (2?) Compared to the 900, you still have mini-IR blasters and can buy precision IR cables, but I haven't seen the ability (yet) to pair additional main blasters like you can for the 900. So for my existing 900 setup with 2 main blasters and 4 mini-IR, I would have to reposition my devices to share the fewer blasters, or just rely on IR from the remote to cover the ones. They didn't advertise the 900's ability to pair additional main blasters, so perhaps it is the same for Ultimate if you were to try another.

For reliable operation, you want a straight line of sight from the IR emitters to the IR receiver on each device. And you might have to tinker with some devices that are finicky such as by altering power on wait timing before more commands like changing input. If you have trouble, it is most likely a line-of-sight issue (relying on bouncing signals) or device delays. My TV starts missing commands after we dust and move the emitter without realizing it, and the default power-on timing for my TV causes it to miss the input change by default, so it needs to wait longer after power-on or add a button command to set input again at end.

Related Reviews:
Touch (video): http://www.amazon.com/review/R1J5EF6N8ZEFLY/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
Simple Control: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TDLD0ITMONOU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
One (video): http://www.amazon.com/review/RH9NV6NMTOWVK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
900 (video): http://www.amazon.com/review/R2GPJD72HKV7HC/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Logitech Harmony Smart Control with Smartphone App and Simple Remote - Black (915-000194)
Price: $129.99
20 used & new from $82.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Simpler Can Be Better - Good Usable Remote & Your Existing Superior Touchscreen, August 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Simpler is better in this case, if you like the idea of still having a physical remote, and an option for touch screen for advanced control. Rather than integrating its own inferior touch screen, it just uses your existing stellar touch screen (phone or tablet). That leaves the remote with just physical buttons without having to fit a touch screen that affects button layout, weight, battery, and natural button to thumb alignment while holding it. If you have your phone or tablet always next to you while watching TV anyway, you might as well leverage it. The Touch and Ultimate integrate a touch screen on the remote, and if you like using physical buttons, it significantly reduces ergonomic use of the buttons you use frequently at the top (see my Touch video review). For those like me who really want to use physical buttons with one hand, the Simple Control is much better. For those who like touch screens for everything, this utilizes a superior touch screen that you already have. It simply marries the back-end pieces you need to translate to IR signals your equipment understands.

I have the One (discontinued), 900 (discontinued), (this) Simple Control, Touch, & Ultimate. See my Touch video review for a contrast to the One & 900 which when one-handed buttons were ergonomically perfect. The new line of remotes have their advantages over the One & 900, including much better online software, easy on-remote configuration without having to connect to a PC, and a much bigger main IR blaster. For the Smart Control, you don't have to charge the remote weekly (just replace battery yearly or so), you get a usable one-handed remote (although not as supreme as One/900), no line-of-sight for IR needed, and buttons are usable one-handed. Drawbacks are: (1) No optional IR so you must ensure you line up IR blasters to every device. (2) Only one mini-IR repeater provided, so all your devices much have line of sight to the huge main blaster or the one mini repeater. It does have one repeater port available so you can buy 1 more mini-IR or precision cables. With my existing 900 setup of 2 main blasters and 4 mini-IRs, I have to reconfigure to reach anything without an option for IR from the remote itself. But this main blaster is huge and should work for the majority of people.

Related Video Reviews:

Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Identical Replacement Blades & Foil, June 9, 2013
Length:: 4:49 Mins

They are identical replacement blades & foil for the Remington FR-730, recommended every 6 months. If you just need to replace worn out blades & foil, then this does it. At first I loved my Remington FR-730 which seemed effortless compared to my previous worn out rotary. In time as the blades dulled it took more and more work on the same area and pressing harder. You aren't supposed to press hard. So replacing the blades should restore the cutting performance. In reality it didn't restore to my original effortless impression, but it was noticeably better, and I didn't have to press hard anymore. Especially on short hair (like upper lip) it catches it with fewer passes and lighter touch than the dull blades. But I do still have to cover the same area more than I recall in my first impression, just not quite as much. I do believe they are the identical replacements, and I expect it probably does technically restore it to nearly new condition, but your shaving behavior with dull blades might continue to hold influence in your daily routine.

As a package, it is just a small box with 1 bubble wrap bag of 3 pieces, slightly separated to not damage each other. There are no instructions, but the box says to see the website for instructions. At the time of my purchase, the website had no such instructions on either the part or even the shaver anymore. But it is really easy to do. You just pull up on the blades and they come right off. I just didn't want to break it by assuming to pull. I show in the video exactly how to do it if you need to see.

Danco 80817 Home Washer Assortment, 42-Piece
Danco 80817 Home Washer Assortment, 42-Piece
Price: $5.73
18 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Assortment, Had Exactly What I Needed, May 15, 2013
Length:: 2:34 Mins

It is an assortment of supposedly common washers for faucet repair. It makes it very convenient to just grab a pack, and figure any washers you need are likely in there. It saves you time from waiting to identify exactly the washers you need and time hunting around to find exact replacements, and depending on how many you need it might or might not be cheaper. For sheer convenience, it is nice to have a pack that should have all the usual washers related to faucet repair. But of course all that really matters is whether it actually has the washers you actually need. It did have exactly the washers I needed.

I was replacing an old faucet with a new one. Generally you should replace existing washers to ensure no leaks. My existing shutoffs had washers. They looked okay at first, but upon further inspection the hot supply washer was falling apart. To play it safe I just replaced both.

I had a tiny bit of leakage at first. But I think that is more my line and nut than the washer. I applied some teflon tape (that you use in any threaded plumbing situation), with some extra by the washer, and it doesn't leak. I am very happy with it being a perfect fit for what I needed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2013 1:46 PM PDT

Watts LFA124C Compression Nut 3/8-Inch, 10-Pack
Watts LFA124C Compression Nut 3/8-Inch, 10-Pack
Price: $15.33
2 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adapter, Perfect Fit for My Case, May 15, 2013
Length:: 2:15 Mins

(based on 1-pack) It is an excellent adapter that perfectly solved my problem to convert between two sizes. It seems perfectly constructed, was a perfect fit, and didn't leak at all. You can use it for just its threaded ends (3/8-inch thread to 1/2-in thread) or you can optionally use the 3/8-inch compression fitting nut. Remember to use teflon tape on the threads like any plumbing situation. And you might need to replace worn out washers if existing connections use them (I used the Danco 80817 Washer Assortment). I really couldn't expect more out of this.

I needed it to convert a new 3/8-inch threaded faucet hose to my existing 1/2-inch threaded shutoff. The alternative was to replace my shutoff, which is a lot more work and risk. I was so happy to find this adapter to just connect the new faucet to the existing shutoff. It perfectly solved my problem.

Watts LFA124 Compression Male Adapter, 3/8-Inch OD x 1/2-Inch MIP
Watts LFA124 Compression Male Adapter, 3/8-Inch OD x 1/2-Inch MIP
Price: $6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adapter, Perfect Fit for My Case, May 15, 2013
Length:: 2:15 Mins

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 2:51 PM PDT

Moen Inc CA87003CSL "Anabelle" Single Handle Kitchen Faucets - Stainless Finish
Moen Inc CA87003CSL "Anabelle" Single Handle Kitchen Faucets - Stainless Finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Functional, Looks Great, Really Happy With It, May 15, 2013
Length:: 8:37 Mins

This faucet is very functional and looks great. The combined hose sprayer and main faucet works great. It is really easy to just grab and spray around and slip back. It has 3 easy controls - stream (default), shower, and pause. The stream mode doesn't seem as powerful as my old faucet, but doesn't seem like a bad thing, but might take longer to fill a sink. It seems more aerated with less actual water volume. It always reverts back to stream when you turn off or pause. The shower mode is wide and full bodied which is noticeably better than my old faucet so it makes for quick rinsing (better than stream). It stays on with one press until you turn off or pause. The pause mode is great (hold to pause) so you can quickly stop the water for a short bit, such as while you pull out the hose and move to fill a pan to the side of the sink without spraying the counter. I especially like the way the handle operates. You can easily turn on/off and warm/cold with very good fluid control over granularity and you can do it with the side of your hand or arm if your hands are dirty and you don't want to contaminate the handle. Lastly the soap dispenser works well and you can fill it from the top so you don't have to unscrew the reservoir to fill in the future. Overall I am very happy with it.

Installation is really easy. But it doesn't come with universal adapters to fit just any existing shutoff. So if your existing shutoffs do not take a 3/8 inch threaded connector, you will need to find an adapter to convert to fit or replace your shutoffs. I spent most of my time shopping for the right adapter to convert from this 3/8 inch threaded connector to my existing 1/2 inch threaded shutoff. I ended up buying the Watts LFA124 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and Danco 80817 replacement washers. Also you will have to clean up around the holes after removing your existing faucet, which can take some time. For me a bathroom cleaning block (a stone) make extremely quick work of removing old hard water deposits & grime. The back of the box says you need plumbers putty, but the instructions never have you use it. It comes with a gasket that seems to make a good seal without the need for plumbers putty (or clear silicon caulk) to seal around the holes. If it weren't for not fitting my shutoff, installation would have seemed trivial.

It does fit 1,2,3, or 4 hole designs, depending on whether you use the 3-hole base plate or use as a single post, and whether you use the soap dispenser. Some people report the need to use the base plate for added stability if the sink isn't sturdy on its own. My porcelain sink didn't need it. However, note that the handle will still extend out to the side over a hole, so you cannot literally have existing things in both holes on either side. But you can install the handle in either direction.

Moen CA87003SRS Single Handle Kitchen Faucet with Pullout Spray and Soap Dispenser from the Anab, Spot Resist Stainless
Offered by SJS Commercial
Price: $222.99
19 used & new from $219.35

Length:: 8:37 Mins

It does fit 1,2,3, or 4 hole designs, depending on whether you use the 3-hole base plate or use as a single post, and whether you use the soap dispenser. Some people report the need to use the base plate for added stability if the sink isn't sturdy on its own. My porcelain sink and didn't need it. However, note that the handle will still extend out to the side over a hole, so you cannot literally have existing things in both holes on either side. But you can install the handle in either direction.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 11:44 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20