Profile for Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 430

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers RSS Feed (Santa Clarita, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
What Pet Should I Get? (Classic Seuss)
What Pet Should I Get? (Classic Seuss)
by Dr. Seuss
Price: $10.09
32 used & new from $10.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Should You Get Dr. Seuss’s Newly Discovered Book?, July 31, 2015
July saw the release of new books from two beloved authors. While the focus has been on Harper Lee’s new novel, I was most curious about the new Dr. Seuss book. (We can discuss what that says about my literary tastes later.) Having gotten to read What Pet Should I Get?, I feel fairly certain it should have stayed unpublished. It’s not a bad book, but it certainly won’t be remembered as one of his better books.

The story follows a brother and sister who are sent to a pet store to pick out one new pet. The brother, our narrator, immediately wants a dog, and his sister wants a cat. But the more they begin to look around, the more choices they see. What will they wind up taking home?

The plot really didn’t surprise me based on the title. I just wasn’t sure if it was going to feature real animals or animals straight from the imagination of Dr. Seuss. The answer is…yes. Eventually, the book does feature two imaginary creatures, but most of the book does focus on real pets.

And that’s part of the problem. Those two imaginary animals almost feel forced into the story. If Dr. Seuss was going to follow his flights of fancy, it would have been a much larger part of the book. Instead, it felt like it was just there to fill pages.

The book does rhyme, but it doesn’t flow like the best of Dr. Seuss’s books. Some of the rhymes did feel forced, and other lines feel like they are changing the rhythm mid-book, something he never did.

The illustrations are classic Dr. Seuss, however. They are the one thing that really does shine. For that reason, I suspect that kids will still enjoy this book even if it doesn’t hold nearly the same appeal to adults.

But let’s discuss the ending. It leaves the final choice the children make open. I’m sorry, but when you ask a question in the title, shouldn’t you answer it in the book? That bothered me.

The book ends with several pages about Dr. Seuss, his pets, his career, and his work habits. It talks about how he’d go through 1000 pages making sure everything was perfect before he was happy with it every time he wrote a book. It also points out how similar the children are here to the ones in One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, and theorizes that this book eventually morphed into that one. All this leads me to the conclusion that he knew this wasn’t his best work and he never would have wanted it to see the light of day.

Now, I’m not saying it is horrible. I’m not condemning anyone for publishing it or buying it. I’m just saying it’s really average.

So back to my question in the title. Should you get What Pet Should I Get? If you have young children who love animals, they might get a kick out of it. But if you are only curious, I’d go to the library to read it.

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag: A Flavia de Luce Novel
The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag: A Flavia de Luce Novel
by Alan Bradley
Price: $11.53
131 used & new from $0.05

3.0 out of 5 stars The First Half Strings Us along a Bit Too Much, July 30, 2015
If you haven’t meant Flavia, she is an 11-year-old living in the small town of Bishop’s Lacey in England in 1950. Oh, and she has a fascination with chemistry, poison, and death. These were only heightened by a murder she found herself involved in and solving just a couple of weeks before this book opens.

That opening finds Flavia sitting in the cemetery. Her thoughts are interrupted by a woman crying. The woman is Nialla, the assistant to famous puppeteer Rupert Porson. They are on a nationwide tour performing his amazing version of Jack and the Beanstalk, but their van has broken down. While they await the repairs, and to earn some money to pay for those repairs, they agree to do two performances in the village, and Flavia finds herself helping them set up.

However, before the performances are over, someone is dead. Flavia and her family witness the deed, and Flavia immediately begins to investigate. Will she once again find the killer?

As I hinted at earlier, that murder doesn’t take place until almost the half-way point. Yes, some of what happens before that is important to the solution of the case, however, the tension just isn’t there. It’s more a series of events that we just don’t care about for far too long, and I was a little bored at times. Honestly, some of these revelations could have been worked into the story after the murder takes place so we care about what we are learning. It would have made the book stronger.

Once that second half hits, the pace definitely does pick up, and I began to enjoy it much more. The climax is not as suspenseful as the first book, but it is gripping in other ways and very well done.

The characters are still absolutely wonderful. Well, Flavia’s older sisters are truly horrible to her, but then again, Flavia isn’t a saint to them by any means either. We meet quite a few new characters in this book, and they all come across as real. These characters are the true strength of the book.

Flavia is not your typical 11-year-old, and her observations, especially in the first person narration, are often funny. This isn’t a humorous novel overall, but you will find lines that will make you smile if not laugh.

And yes, I do intend to continue the series. While this book could have been paced better, I’m still curious what happens next to Flavia.

Hallmark QX9189 Cool Nutcracker Icicles Ornament
Hallmark QX9189 Cool Nutcracker Icicles Ornament
Offered by AM Online Sales
Price: $14.49
2 used & new from $14.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking the Ice in the Final Icicle, July 29, 2015
I was not surprised when Hallmark announced that 2015 would feature the final ornament in the Cool Icicles series. Was I happy? No. But seeing how poorly the first two did in sales, I knew that series hadn’t caught on, so it would have been a poor business decision to keep it going past #3, the minimum for a series. Fortunately, we do get one final Christmas icon – a Nutcracker.

This is a very traditional looking nutcracker. He’s painted green, and from the waist up, he looks just like any other nutcracker you could buy. He’s got a hat, white hair, and gold trim where you’d expect it. However, it’s that bottom half that makes this series different. The bottom half is an opaque going to clear icicle with ridges and a point at the bottom.

The way the ornaments in this series catch the light in the icicle part is wonderful, and it’s something I’ve enjoyed with the first two and know I’ll enjoy with this one as well. The look is perfect, and I do love nutcrackers so I’m glad they got that right. About my only real complaint with the ornament is the color. Green will blend into the tree too much. I wish they’d gone with red so it would stand out more. That also feels like a more traditional nutcracker color to me. I’m actually a little surprised they went with green. Don’t misunderstand, I do love the color and think the ornaments looks great, but I just know it will get lost on the tree.

No, this isn’t a working nutcracker. The mouth doesn’t move, as you can tell by how the beard is attached. We do have a crack around the mouth and the handle in the back, which is again glued into place.

Since the ornament comes to a point at the bottom, there is no way to stand the ornament up, so you have to hang it to display it. Fortunately, that isn’t an issue since, when you slip a loop through the hook on the top of the ornament, you’ll find that it hangs perfectly straight.

Being the third in the series, you’ll find a 3 in a Christmas tree hidden on the back of the nutcracker’s head. It’s very small, but it is there if you look for it.

I can think of several other Christmas icons I would have liked to see as part of this series. It’s too bad the series never caught on because I think it could have been great for many years.

But that was not to be. With the series wrapped up with the Nutcracker, we will have to let the Cool Icicles that could have been melt away.

Killer Jam (A Dewberry Farm Mystery)
Killer Jam (A Dewberry Farm Mystery)
by Karen MacInerney
Price: $8.17
33 used & new from $7.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Lucy Finds Herself in a Killer Jam, July 28, 2015
Since I’ve been reading and enjoying Karen MacInerney’s Gray Whale Inn series since it started, I knew I had to move with her from Maine to Texas and start the Dewberry Farm Mysteries as well. Naturally, that meant when I was offered an ARC of Killer Jam, I jumped at it. As I expected, I enjoyed this new series debut.

Investigative reporter Lucy Resnick has changed the trajectory of her life. The former investigative reporter has bought the farm – literally. In this case, it was the farm her grandparents owned outside the small town of Buttercup, Texas. While the property has been owned by Nettie Kocurek the last few years, the farmhouse and barn were left untouched. After the summers Lucy spent there, the land holds warm memories for her.

She’s been there a few months when she gets a surprise visitor, a man who claims he is there to investigate the possibility of oil on her farm. It seems that when Nettie sold the land, she retained the mineral rights. When Lucy confronts Nettie about this, Nettie seems proud of herself and the trouble she is causing for Lucy.

But Lucy isn’t the only one who has issues with Nettie. At the annual Founder’s Day Festival, someone stabs Nettie inside the tent erected for the jam judging. The local sheriff, the victim’s nephew, doesn’t think he has to look any further than the outsider – Lucy. Can Lucy resurrect her investigative reporter skills to find the killer?

One of the things I have always loved about the Gray Whale Inn mysteries is the island setting. Then again, I love islands, so I connected with that setting right away. It did take me a little longer to warm up to this small Texas town, but by the end I loved it as well. The people and the location were charming, and I would love to go for a visit.

Speaking of people, the characters were great. Lucy is a strong woman, which is good considering what she faces over the course of the book. Her friends in town and the suspects are equally well drawn. Honestly, they are a huge appeal of the book, and I can’t wait to see them again. I really do hope that a potential new friendship being formed near the end is explored further in later books as well.

The plot is the only place the book stumbles. Overall, it is very good with twists and surprises along the way. In fact, I wasn’t completely sure how it was going to end or even what the motive might have been as we were closing in on the climax. However, I did feel like it bogged down without much forward progress in the second quarter. Once it got going again, however, it kept moving toward a wonderful climax.

A quick couple of notes. A sub-plot in the book involves Lucy’s friend Quinn and her abusive ex who is not paying any attention to the restraining order against him. Personally, I felt this added some great depth to the book. Additionally, there are questions about some supernatural elements that are left to the reader’s imagination. As you can tell by the number of supernatural books I read (or don’t read), that’s not my favorite thing in a mystery, but here it didn’t bother me at all. The one note that bothered me the most is a scene that where Lucy and Tobias, her potential love interest, completely forgot their reasons for their “date” and just had the date.

Of course, there are recipes. There’s the Dewberry Jam referenced in the title as well as a Strawberry Custard Pie that sounds divine. We also get cottage cheese and glazed maple twist recipes along with directions for making beeswax candles. And if you are curious about the name of the farm, we even learn about dewberries in the book. Personally, I’d love to be able to try them sometime.

For fans of the Gray Whale Inn books, there is a connection to this new series. It’s a small moment that made me smile near the beginning. Not that you need to read that series to enjoy this series debut at all. This book would stand up well even without that connection.

Now that I’ve gotten to know the residence of Buttercup, I can’t wait to visit them again. Killer Jam is filled with a good mystery, delightful characters, and a fun setting that will bring cozy readers back for many more visits.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

A Little Crab Cake Keepsake Cupcake Ornament 2015 Hallmark
A Little Crab Cake Keepsake Cupcake Ornament 2015 Hallmark
Offered by Cozi Gifts
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $12.93

5.0 out of 5 stars You’ll Be Crabby if You Don’t Start the Keepsake Cupcake Series, July 27, 2015
Why did it have to be cupcakes? After two years of collecting Hallmark’s monthly series, I was ready for them to come up with a property I wasn’t that interested in collecting. For one thing, I am fast running out of space for displaying things. Yet when I saw the 2015 – 2016 monthly series, Keepsake Cupcakes, I knew I had to collect it. The series starts with a winner – A Little Crab Cake.

Like the previous two years, the series is starting with a beach theme. The cupcake itself is vanilla, with just a hint peeking out of the blue cupcake foil. The blue frosting swirled on top is just a shade lighter than the foil and is made to look like waves with a little starfish and a shell attached to it. But sticking out of the top is the red crab that gives the ornament its name.

Now I’ve been collecting and enjoying the Christmas Cupcake series Hallmark has done for the last few years. That series is made mostly from felt. Here, we are back to plastic. It’s a minor detail mainly worth noting only in passing.

That’s because this ornament is so cute! The vanilla cupcake looks just like sand, and the blue they used is a pretty color for the waves. The result is warm and friendly and makes me want to head out to the beach.

Because it is a cupcake, it should be no surprise that the ornament has a flat bottom. That’s perfect because I intend to keep this collection in the Bakery Display that Hallmark sold as a compliment to the series. If you do want to hang it, you’ll find a hook coming out of the crab’s head. The ornament does hang ever so slightly forward, but not enough you’ll notice unless you are looking for it. You’ll find the series marker on the bottom of the ornament.

A Little Crab Cake gets this new series off to a wonderful start, and the rest of the series is pretty much this adorable as well. I didn’t take long to cave on this series, and I will be glad I bought them.

Commander Toad and the Planet of the Grapes
Commander Toad and the Planet of the Grapes
by Jane Yolen
Price: $5.99
166 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Grape Space Adventure, July 26, 2015
The other day, I suddenly remembered the Commander Toad books. Since these were written in the early 80’s, they were definitely books we found in the library when my younger brother was the appropriate age. The only title I remembered was Commander Toad and the Planet of the Grapes, so that’s the one I decided to get out of my library. While a bit simpler than I remembered, I did find it fun.

Commander Toad is most definitely a spoof on science fiction shows, specifically Star Trek and Star Wars. After all, the commander and his crew are traveling the galaxy exploring it. Even though this is the second book that was written about him, the first few pages introduce us to the rest of the crew aboard the Star Warts, including co-pilot Mr. Hop, Lieutenant Lily, Doc Peeper, and navigation expert Jake Skyjumper.

The story really gets going when the crew finds a new planet to explore. Commander Toad and Lieutenant Lily take a shuttle down, only to find that Lily is allergic to the planet. Commander Toad still steps on the planet and is immediately swallowed by a giant red lump. What kind of planet is this?

As if the names didn’t give you a clue, you are in for some grape puns before the book is over. Since I’m of the opinion that there is no such things as a bad pun, I’m obviously okay with that. In fact, I really liked it. The puns and the spoof of science fiction were my favorite part now. While I don’t think I quite got all of the spoofs as a 10-year-old reading this for the first time, I know I appreciated the humor then as well.

As I said, the story felt a bit simple the first time I read it recently, although I did feel it was stronger the second time around. The characters have just enough personality as well. But hey, this is a picture book. It’s about what you’d expect.

In fact, this definitely belongs in the Easy Reader category. While the character names will be a challenge, that is about the only thing that should challenge young readers. The rest of the vocabulary is fairly easy to sound out.

And the illustrations by Bruce Degen really do add to the charm of the book. They perfectly capture the characters and the situation they find themselves in.

It seems to take some work to track down Commander Toad these days, but it is definitely worth it. Despite a bit of a slow start thanks to the character introductions, Commander Toad and the Planet of the Grapes goes on to be a pun picture book.

Keepsake Cupcakes Ornament Display Case 2015 Hallmark
Keepsake Cupcakes Ornament Display Case 2015 Hallmark
Offered by Cozi Gifts
Price: $34.44
4 used & new from $32.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Way to Display Your Cute Keepsake Cupcakes, July 26, 2015
While I’ve enjoyed the yearlong series that Hallmark has released over the last two years, I was seriously hoping that, if they did a third year, it wouldn’t appeal to me at all. Maybe Barbie or something like that. That wasn’t the case, however, because Hallmark decided to release a series of cupcakes. And they are so cute! Fortunately, they have also provided the perfect display case for this new yearly ornament series.

How would you display cupcakes? In a bakery display case of course. Yes, this display really is that simple. It’s essentially two pieces, a white piece of plastic with two levels to it and a clear plastic covering. The display does have a very small Keepsake Cupcakes logo on the top and larger one on the front, but that’s all that identifies it with this particular series. Any more than that would detract from the nature of the display and the wonderful cupcakes.

And that’s all you really need. Honestly, this display case is part of what sold me on the series. Even though I just have the first cupcake, I already have the display case out in my room, and I love it. It looks just like the display case in a bakery, and I can’t wait to fill it up. And yes, this is a decided change for the stand for the Year of Disney Magic series, when I was disappointed because the entire year was displayed together. Either having that display stand opened me up to this idea or this display case is just that much better. Honestly, I’m thinking it is both.

Which does bring up my only question about this display case. I can easily see it fitting the twelve ornaments that are part of the main series. However, there will be a thirteenth (to make a baker’s dozen). I’m wondering if that ornament will fit in the display case or if it will have to sit on top. I think the bottom shelf is wide enough that you can squeeze them all in, but I won’t know for sure until next June.

Since these cupcakes are ornament size, this case is small enough to fit on display somewhere. It is 12.5 inches long by almost 8 inches high. I’ve got mind sitting on top of the TV in my bedroom, and it looks great.

I should also point out that, to insert the cupcakes, all you need to do is remove the clear covering. And it does just pop right off, so it’s super easy to get in and set up any display you want to create.

I can hardly wait to fill in the Keepsake Cupcake Display Case with the decorative cupcakes that will make up this new yearlong series. It is going to look so incredibly festive when I’m done.

The Chocolate Clown Corpse: A Chocoholic Mystery
The Chocolate Clown Corpse: A Chocoholic Mystery
by JoAnna Carl
Price: $13.85
77 used & new from $4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Funny about the Murder of a Clown, July 26, 2015
It’s amazing how time gets away from us. I’ve been reading the Chocoholic series since it started, and I bought the latest book as soon as it came out. Almost nine months later, I’m finally making the time to enjoy The Chocolate Clown Corpse, an entry that will please fans of the series.

This winter, the town of Warner Pier, Michigan, has themed their annual Winter Carnival around clowns. All the businesses are getting into the spirit, and TenHuis Chocolade is even working on specially molded clown chocolates to have during this week. Not only is Lee Woodyard overseeing the chocolate shop, but she’s on the carnival committee, so she has to make some appearances as a clown herself. The only downside is that Moe Davidson, the owner of the clown shop next door to TenHuis Chocolade, was killed just the month before. The homeless man who confessed to the crime is behind bars, but Moe would have done very well with the merchandise in his shop.

Things start to heat up the week before the carnival is set to open, however. It starts with a phone call expressing surprise that anyone is accused of Moe’s death. Then Joe, Lee’s husband and a lawyer, is assigned to take over the case of the man accused of the crime, and Lee meets Moe’s family since she’d love to expand TenHuis Chocolade into the area next door. The more she learns, the more Lee begins to question the official story. With Aunt Nettie and Chief Hogan gone on vacation, can she figure out what is happening?

Like all the books in this series, the mystery is light yet satisfying. I will say I felt things started off a bit slowly, but once the story got going, it was another page turner. It is a little easy to spot the solution, but there is enough going on that it is still fun getting there.

I had hoped with Aunt Nettie and Chief Hogan out of town, we’d gets to see more of the other supporting cast. Sadly, they still didn’t make more than their one or two scenes in this book. I know I complain about this is almost every book, but I do wish we could see more of the supporting cast.

The characters we do interact with are wonderful, however. Lee is a strong woman despite her tongue tangles, which are still present but kept to a minimum in the book. Joe is just as strong, and I love the active part he plays in this book. The suspects are real and interesting, and I really did grow to like them as the book progressed.

As usual for this series, there are no recipes. Instead we get Chocolate Chats, which this time look at the history of chocolate in Latin America.

Like a piece of chocolate, these books are over much too quickly. They may be light, but they are fun. If that is what you are looking for, pick up The Chocolate Clown Corpse today.

Toy Store Dreams Musical Ornament 2015 Hallmark
Toy Store Dreams Musical Ornament 2015 Hallmark
Offered by Hidden Treasures Decor and More
Price: $26.94
8 used & new from $21.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming of a Toy Shop in this Christmas Windows Companion Piece, July 26, 2015
I sometimes wonder what exactly makes Hallmark decide to do something as a series companion piece instead of as part of the regular ornament line. In this case, the magic element of Toy Store Dreams is the obvious divider, but it could easily be part of the regular Christmas Windows series.

Since Christmas Windows is a Keepsake Ornament Club series, not everyone who buys Hallmark ornaments will be familiar with it. The series, now up to 13 ornaments features a child outside the window of a different store all decked out for Christmas. The ornament has stuff on all sides, so it’s one to spend some time studying and enjoying.

In this case, we have a little girl outside a toy store. She is looking in with longing at the rocking horse in the window. There’s also a plane hanging from the ceiling. Sitting outside the window to the girl’s left in a teddy bear. When you turn the window around, you can see a game of checks, an art kit, a train, and a doll house on the shelves under the window.

The regular ornaments in the series are done in alternating years by Tammy Haddix and Nina Aube. Tammy sculpts with boys outside the window, and Nina always has girls. Since this is an odd number year, Tammy did sculpt the regular series window, but she got to sculpt this one as well. It’s fun since it gives her a chance to sculpt a girl. Additionally, the sheet music for “Toyland” is featured in the regular series ornament for the year.

Why do I bring that up? Because, as I said before, this is a magic ornament, and it features light, motion, and sound. The sound is the music to “Toyland.” I’m not familiar with the song, I must confess, but the music is beautiful to listen to, and I love how it ties in to the official series piece of the year.

All of the magic is supported by three button batteries, and your first set is included with the ornament. To actually start the show, you have to pull the cord that dangles down from the ornament. When you do that, you get the music, a light comes on in the window, and the rocking horse starts to go back and forth. The music and light lasts about 45 seconds, although the horse seems to stop rocking about half way through.

However, I’m not completely thrilled with the pull cord. First of all, I always display my Christmas Windows series on the ground under my tree. While there is still a nice flat base, that string is going to look weird sticking out from under the ornament. Second, it seems like it is too easy to break. One of the displays in my store is already broken. The cord hangs down all the way – you can’t retract it and you can’t get the show to start. For as expensive as their piece is, it shouldn’t be this fragile.

If they’d used a button to start the show like on most magic ornaments, I’d have loved it. The window itself is nice, and the show adds a wonderful touch.

There is a loop at the top of the house for hanging the ornament on your tree. Slip a hook through it, and you’ll find it hangs straight.

I really truly wish they hadn’t used a rope on this ornament. Without that, it would be a great compliment to the Christmas Windows series. As it is, I do like Toy Store Dreams, but every time I pull the rope, I will be afraid of breaking it. That’s not the right way to enjoy something like this.

A First Date with Death (A Love or Money Mystery)
A First Date with Death (A Love or Money Mystery)
by Diana Orgain
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.02
69 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Date This Debut, July 21, 2015
Georgia is doing something she never thought she’d do – go on a reality show. Worse yet, she’s a contestant on a dating show, trying to decide which of the bachelors on the show are in it for the money or which are in it for love.

The first group date ends early with a tragic accident, however, and Georgia gets a huge shock when her former fiancée, a man who left her at the altar, takes that contestant’s place. Paul is a cop, so that must mean that there was something sinister behind the accident and he’s only on the show to investigate, right? The next day, another of the contestants is found dead. What has Georgia signed up for? And will she pick the right contestant if the show even continues?

The book starts out with that first group date, and it was a scene that fed into my fear of heights, so it definitely got the blood pumping. I was intending to read just one chapter before I went to sleep, but I read another couple because I couldn’t stop there.

That level of interest never wavered as I was reading the book. However as I read, I realized that the mystery often took a back seat to the dates and the choice that Georgia was facing as a contestant on this reality show. But here’s the thing, I was so into that aspect of things, I didn’t mind the mystery taking a back seat. That’s not to say that there wasn’t some deduction happening. The mystery came to a logical and satisfying conclusion, although that part was rushed at the end. Hopefully, the mystery will be stronger in future books in the series.

Likewise, the characters weren’t quite as strong as they could have been. Georgia and a couple who are obviously going to be series regulars are strong. In fact, it was Georgia and how likeable she is that really drew me into the story. Part of the issue with character development is that there were just so many characters. I was surprised at how easily I was able to keep track of them, but most of them weren’t quite as developed as I normally would have liked. For those who didn’t stick around long, that wasn’t an issue, but this could have been a bit better overall.

Now neither of these complaints is to say I didn’t enjoy this book. While I was aware of the flaws, I was also busy turning pages anxious to see how things would turn out. And I had to keep from cheating to see if Georgia made the correct choice at the end. That’s how much fun I was having and how much I cared for her.

So I am definitely looking forward to Georgia’s next adventure. In fact, I’m very curious how Diana Orgain will be continuing this series. If they are as good as this first book, I’ll be along for the entire ride.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20