Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 19707

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers RSS Feed (Santa Clarita, CA United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Beauty, Beast, and Belladonna: A Fairy Tale Fatal Mystery
Beauty, Beast, and Belladonna: A Fairy Tale Fatal Mystery
by Maia Chance
38 used & new from $3.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Is the Beastly Murderer?, February 11, 2016
For years, my favorite of the Disney Princess movies has been Beauty and the Beast, so when I saw that the third in Maia Chance’s Fairytale Fatal Mysteries was Beauty, Beast, and Belladonna, I was quite intrigued. Turns out, this is a fantastic addition to the series.

The book opens in December of 1867, and it finds Ophelia Flax ready to use her savings to cross the ocean from France back to America. However, through a series of circumstances, she finds herself coerced into not only delaying breaking up with her fiancée but going with him to his estate to participate in hunting season. There, Ophelia gets the shock of her life when she finds that he intends for them to marry at the winter solstice in just a few days’ time.

There is a snow storm that first night, and a coach breaks down outside the mansion with some travelers who need lodging. The next morning, one of those travelers is dead. While the police quickly rule it natural causes, Ophelia is certain that the belladonna plants around the scene might have been used to poison him. Meanwhile, the nearby village is a buzz with sightings of an ancient beast, reviving old legions that might predate the Beauty and the Beast fairytale. Is this beast involved in the murder? Or does one of Ophelia’s fellow guests hide a beastly heart?

This is one of those books that is hard to offer a teaser in just a couple of paragraphs. However, the set up makes perfect sense as you are reading the book. It didn’t take long to ensnare me into the story, and I never wanted to put the book down. There are multiple facets to the plot, and the author does a wonderful job of juggling everything. Yet the solution is perfectly logical and everything is wrapped up in the end.

Those who have been reading the series will know that there have been three main characters, and we’ve bounced around from one to the other as our third person viewpoint character to get the complete picture of the story. One of those characters appears to be written out of the series at this point, but Ophelia and the other character are back. They make a great team, coming at this puzzle from different angles that enhance the story that is being told. And the third character? I was actually surprised to find I didn’t miss them as much as I thought I would, although if they popped up in future installments, I wouldn’t complain.

There really are a limited number of returning characters, but a large cast of new characters. I didn’t have a hard time keeping them straight, and I found them all very interesting. As the book progresses, we get to know them quite well.

In keeping with the fairy tale featured, we get a very gothic setting with a castle in the French countryside. That atmosphere adds to the charm of the story.

With how this book ends, I am already anxious to find out what kind of trouble Ophelia can find in future books. The set up for her next adventure is here, and I want to see how that plays out.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Beauty, Beast, and Belladonna is another expertly crafted, fun, and creative twist on fairy tales that will also satisfy mystery fans. If you are looking for something different in either genre, this series is for you.

Zoolander [Blu-ray]
Zoolander [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Ben Stiller
Price: $12.99
22 used & new from $11.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and Outlandish, February 11, 2016
This review is from: Zoolander [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
There are some movies that I am undeniably curious about despite the fact that I am fairly certain I won’t like it when I watch it. Zoolander is one of those films. I’m not a big fan of most of the cast, and it just looked ridiculous to me. And yet, I’ve heard so many references to it over the years, I just had to see it. While it’s not an outstanding film, I was surprised by my reaction to it.

This film centers on the world of male models and the ridiculously good looking Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller). Ben has been the top male model for years, but his reign is coming to an end as everyone is getting excited about the latest up and comer, Hansel (Owen Wilson).

And the timing is perfect. With the spotlight leaving Zoolander, he can be used as a pawn in a conspiracy lead by Mugatu (Will Ferrell) to assassinate the new President of Malaysia, who is insisting workers be paid a fair wage for their work. The only person at all interested in this conspiracy is reporter Matilda Jeffries (Christine Taylor). Will she uncover the truth in time to stop the assassination?

The premise of the film is pretty ridiculous, right? And yet, it’s executed well. It helps that this movie is more comedy with a mystery/conspiracy plot. The movie got some laughs for me, especially out of the dumb lead models. It completely plays up the stereotype that models are stupid, but many of those jokes work.

Of course, not all the humor was for me, which isn’t a surprise given the cast. There are plenty of bad jokes that fall flat. However, I was expecting to cringe a lot more than I was at much of the humor.

And the plot holds together reasonably well. Oh, it’s over the top and unrealistic. However, it’s a comedy first and foremost, and I wasn’t expecting a true thriller from the film. Given that, the plot still makes sense and unfolds in a logical manner.

I wasn’t aware of just how all-star the rest of the cast was until I started to watch. We get the likes of Jerry Stiller and Jon Voight in the film in addition to the stars I’ve already named, although I think my favorite was the one scene role that David Duchovny had. And I have to mention the many cameos, although the most surreal was Donald Trump, given what is going on in 2016. It’s really no surprise that everyone was perfect in bringing this wacky world to life.

I did watch this film on TV, so I’m sure some of the content was cut out. I still didn’t care for the orgy scene; honestly, I found the entire romantic part forced and rushed. Still, keep in mind that the film is rated PG-13 for a reason.

My reaction to this film is colored by my preconceptions going into it. I was expecting to hate it, so I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. Still, it’s enough outside my normal tastes that I didn’t love it. I’m glad I did finally watch it, however.

Because the film was so over the top and wacky, I’m not sure I would rush out to watch it again. While not the greatest of films, Zoolander wasn’t as bad as I feared it would be.

For Cheddar or Worse: A Cheese Shop Mystery
For Cheddar or Worse: A Cheese Shop Mystery
by Avery Aames
Price: $6.47
32 used & new from $2.44

4.0 out of 5 stars You’d Cheddar Read This Book, February 9, 2016
My favorite type of cheese is cheddar, so I was thrilled when I saw that it would be the featured cheese in the latest Cheese Shop Mystery. And fans of the series will be delighted to read For Cheddar or Worse.

The town of Providence is hosting the first annual Cheese Festival, and to go along with that, several of the people involved in making cheese are participating in a brain trust in order to help each other. Naturally, Charlotte, owner of the Cheese Shop, is included in the retreat, and she and her new husband, Jordan, are treating this as a weekend getaway, even staying at the bed and breakfast just outside of town where the meetings are to take place.

The brain trust is surprised when Lara Berry shows up the first day. She has written books on various cheeses and cheese farms and is a recognized expert in the field. However, Charlotte soon sees through her pleasant shell to the truly mean woman underneath. At dinner after the first full day, Lara unloads some horrible comments on the rest of the group before storming off to bed. The next morning, she is dead inside her locked room. While at first glance it might look like natural causes, the police soon determine it was murder. But how did the killer get into and out of the locked room?

I don’t find very many locked room mysteries in the books I read, and I greatly enjoyed that aspect of things. Yes, there is a very logical solution to that part of the puzzle.

I did feel that the plot was a bit uneven. On the other hand, those bits are balanced out by some of the tensest scenes in the series. In fact, I found it easy to believe that all of the suspects were capable of the murder. Despite the clues, I didn’t have the killer figured out until Charlotte identified the villain, and the climax was great.

There is quite a large cast of series regulars, and they all get a moment or two or shine. Series fans will be delighted to see these friends again and gets updates on them. Obviously, I found the suspects just as fleshed out.

Author Avery Aames has shared the bad news that this is the final book in the series. However, she was given a chance to wrap things up for the characters, and she does a great job of doing just that in this book. A couple of these wrap-ups felt a little rushed, but that’s a minor complaint. Honestly, I loved how things are left – major things wrapped up and a hint at the immediate future while still leaving things open to imagine what else the future might hold. Some TV shows could take a page or two from this ending.

Of course, there are recipes; in fact, I think we have a record number for the series with right around a dozen. We’ve got recipes for everything from quiche to a cheddar-chocolate stracciatella ice cream and caramel cheesecake. My mouth is watering just reading them.

I think the biggest kick I got out of this book was a couple of throw away lines about Murder, She Wrote. I love little jokes like that.

While For Cheddar or Worse might be the end of this series, Avery Aames is still writing under her real name, Daryl Wood Gerber. Still, it is always hard to see a well-loved series end. I do believe fans will be satisfied with this book; I know I was.

Disney Muppets - It is Moi, Miss Piggy! Ornament 2015 Hallmark
Disney Muppets - It is Moi, Miss Piggy! Ornament 2015 Hallmark
Offered by AM Online Sales
Price: $9.92
33 used & new from $4.94

4.0 out of 5 stars A Diva to Ham It Up Your Tree (Yes, I Went There), February 9, 2016
Sooner or later, it only made sense that Hallmark would do Miss Piggy for their unofficial Muppets series of ornaments. They did just that in 2015 with It Is Moi, Miss Piggy!, and it’s lots of fun.

Miss Piggy is clearly ready to take her act on the road. She’s sitting on a traveling trunk that has a couple of stickers on it, one of which says “Paris or bust.” She’s wearing a red dress and heals and has her left arm on her chest as if to say, “Are you people here to see moi?”

As much as I love the Muppets in general, these ornaments can be hit or miss. This one is good, but it is a bit big and clunky looking. I really don’t know how else to describe it. I think if the ornament were smaller overall, it would come off better. I think it’s because Miss Piggy is so large.

Of course, they might need the size for the magic portion of the ornament. Like the others in the unofficial series, this one comes with several sound clips. Install two button batteries in the ornament and press the button on the side to hear Miss Piggy say five different things. That element always adds a fun touch to these ornaments.

Even though the trunk Miss Piggy is using as a stage is on its side, there’s still enough of a flat surface you can set this ornament out to be displayed year round. After all, there isn’t anything particularly Christmassy about it.

Of you do want to hang it on your tree, you’ll find the hook in the top of Miss Piggy’s head. Slip a loop through it, and you’ll find she tips to the front left corner a little, but not too badly.

If the size were a little better, I’d like this ornament more. As it is, It Is Moi, Miss Piggy is fun if not perfect.

M&Ms Strawberry & Milk Chocolate Limited Edition Candy, 2 Pack of 8 Ounce Bags
M&Ms Strawberry & Milk Chocolate Limited Edition Candy, 2 Pack of 8 Ounce Bags
Offered by kevin32810
Price: $9.98
31 used & new from $9.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Combination in Bite Size Piece, February 9, 2016
I don’t know who first came up with the idea of putting chocolate on strawberries, but that person was a genius! It’s a flavor combination I absolutely love. M&M decided to jump on that bandwagon this year with M&M’s Strawberry, a special flavor created just for Valentine’s Day. While not perfect, they sure are good.

As you might expect, these are your classic milk chocolate M&M’s but with a twist. Instead of just being chocolate, they have some artificial strawberry flavoring in them. In fact, you can smell the strawberry as soon as you open the bag. Despite that fact, the strawberry doesn’t overwhelm the candy at all. In fact, it’s very subtle, and you might miss it at first. It seems to build the more you chew however, and by the time you are done it definitely tastes like you’ve enjoyed a nice chocolate covered strawberry.

The color of the candy reflects that as well. Instead of the normal bright colors, the bag is filled with three shades of red and pink. It’s a little monochromatic, but the point of M&M’s is to eat it, not look at it, right?

This year, at least, this flavor of candy is a limited release, and you can only find it at Wal-Mart. Depending on how popular it turns out to be, I’ll be interested in seeing if that changes next year.

I do wish the strawberry flavor was more pronounced, but overall these are a fun twist on some classics. If you want to try something different that your taste buds will love, track down a bag of Strawberry Milk Chocolate M&M’s.

Art of Disney Olaf Limited Release Sketchbook Ornament Let It Snow December 2015
Offered by Sage Source
Price: $49.93
4 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Olaf Swirls to Life on Your Tree, February 9, 2016
I must admit, I rolled my eyes a bit when I saw they were doing an Olaf ornament as part of the Art of Disney Animation series. I already have two ornaments of him from Hallmark, and as much as I love the character (and I do love him), I wasn’t sure I needed a third. But, being a collector, I couldn’t bring myself to not get the ornament and therefore not have all the ornaments in the series from The Disney Store. Turns out, it’s my favorite in the series to date.

See, instead of just being another ornament of Olaf, this ornament is actually Olaf as he is swirling into being. As a result, we get a mostly finished snowman with a glitter filled clearish white plastic tube around him representing the magic that is creating him. He’s finished enough it’s easy to tell who he is since his face is put together. However, his buttons, his nose, and his right arm and foot are still in the swirl of magic and not attached yet.

And it’s the fact that he’s not quite finished that actually gives this ornament its charm. It’s rare you get something captured in action like this for an ornament. It’s easy to tell exactly what is happening, too.

Plus it’s just plain fun.

Like the rest of the series, Olaf is standing on a circular base, so you can set the collection out to be displayed year round with no problem. This one is white glitter on top light blue with snowflakes on the side, which definitely gives it that Frozen feel.

But if you want to hang it on your tree (It is an ornament after all), you’ll find a white ribbon on the top of Olaf’s head. When you hang it from a branch, you’ll find that it hangs ever so slightly to the left, but you aren’t likely to notice unless you are looking for it. Most of the Disney Store ornaments come with red ribbons, so I appreciate the fact that they did something different for this one since it fits with the ornament to much more.

It’s rare to get Disney merchandise that shows a character in something less than the completed look, so that makes Olaf something special. As a fan of this warm hearted snowman, I am thrilled to have this different look in my collection.

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce Mystery, Book 4)
I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce Mystery, Book 4)
by Alan Bradley
Price: $13.10
89 used & new from $4.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Film Crew at Christmas Means Murder, February 9, 2016
Had I realized that the fourth Flavia de Luce novel was set around Christmas, I would have crammed it into last year in an effort to listen to it at Christmas time. The next best thing was to listen to I Am Half-Sick of Shadows in January while Christmas was still fresh in my mind.

As this book opens, it is the week before Christmas, and a film crew is arriving at Buckshaw, the de Luce family mansion. They are going to be filming a movie starring Phyllis Wyvern, a huge movie star. Flavia’s father has done this in order to bring in much needed money to pay off the taxes owed on the estate. Unfortunately, this does mean a quieter Christmas this year since any decorations would get in the way of the filming of the movie. Still, Flavia has one thing on her mind, the sticky substance she’s been brewing in her laboratory in order to catch Father Christmas on their roof and prove once and for all if he exists or not.

As time marches toward Christmas, the snow begins to fall, but that doesn’t keep much of the village from coming to Buckshaw for a performance put on by Phyllis to raise money for the parish roof. Unfortunately, the storm is bad enough that it traps everyone in the mansion, and that night someone is murdered. With all the suspects in her own home, can Flavia figure out who the killer is?

With this being winter, certain elements of the series like Flavia riding her trusty bike, Gladys, all over the countryside aren’t to be found. We do get to see all the regulars plus a face from the second book.

Unfortunately, the mystery was very slow to get started. We’re almost half way through the book before the murder takes places, and only some of the story time before that was truly setting up suspects. Once the murder takes place, the action does pick up considerably. There are some good twists and revelations on the way to the end.

In the last book, Flavia was annoying me, mainly because she was acting her age. I’m glad to say that she was much better behaved in this book. We came close to getting some much needed character development for her two older sisters, and I hope that comes in the next book. I’m ready for their relationship to evolve. The rest of the cast continued to be strong no matter how big or small their part was in the overall book.

While the Christmas atmosphere isn’t on every page, I did enjoy it when it came into play in the story. There is plenty of it to make reading this book in December an added joy. I just didn’t want to wait that long since I had just missed Christmas.

What I find interesting is how the author keeps working the time period into these books. Flavia may live in a small village, but the two wars that had been fought recently continue to influence her world. Being eleven, she probably doesn’t completely understand everything that had happened, but it is interesting to the adult audience of the books.

Which is why I wish the plotting were stronger in the series. The characters are charming and the setting is wonderful, but the slow plot keeps me from completely recommending I Am Half-Sick of Shadows.

Scene of the Brine: Pickled and Preserved Mystery
Scene of the Brine: Pickled and Preserved Mystery
by Mary Ellen Hughes
34 used & new from $3.65

4.0 out of 5 stars The Accountant’s Number is Up, February 4, 2016
I’m an accountant by day, so I took note when it came to the murder victim in Scene of the Brine, the latest mystery from Mary Ellen Hughes. Accountants are good people, right? No one would ever want to harm one of us. Of course, this accountant turns out to be a complete and total jerk, which made reading the book lots of fun.

The town of Cloverdale, New York, is abuzz about the Porter family who has just moved into town. Jeremy Porter is a very successful realtor, and he’s bought an old mansion on the edge of town and his mother and sister have moved in with him. Unfortunately, his accountant, Dirk Unger, has moved into town as well. Dirk is a mean man who seems to have all the dirt on people and uses it to destroy them and help Jeremy.

Piper Lamb, the owner of Piper’s Picklings, sees just how devastating Dirk can be when her friend Sugar Heywood, a caterer in town, is crushed after Dirk destroys her personal life over something that happened years ago. While much of the town is at a party, Dirk winds up dead from poison, and suspicion turns to Sugar’s son, Zach. With Sugar in a panic, Piper begins to dig in to find out who else Dirk had destroyed. Can she clear Zach’s name?

Since I’ve read and enjoyed the first two books in the series, I was a bit surprised to find that it took me a few chapters to fully get into the book. It has a bit of a slow start with a sub-plot that is used to introduce new characters, and Piper is told about some things that happen off page instead of witnessing them. However, when the murder does happen, this information is used in the rest of the book.

Looking back at the book, it doesn’t take too long for the murder to happen, and once it does, things really do pick up. In fact, it got so interesting I read almost half of it in one day – I just had to know what in the world was going on. There were some nice twists I didn’t see coming that kept me confused. I did figure out the killer before the end, but I had missed several logical clues. The climax was creative and kept those pages turning while tying up all the red herrings.

The characters in the series are good, and I enjoy spending time with them. We see some nice growth in a couple of the regulars, and the new characters are fleshed out with some secrets of their own. They are a great group, and it’s hard not to root for them to have a happy ending. Well, all except the murderer, or course.

And for those wondering, a plot thread opened in the last book in the series appears to be wrapped up successfully here. At least I hope it is. That’s all I will say on the subject to avoid any further spoilers.

Of course, we get two recipes at the end of the book, Brandied Cherries and Spicy Carrot Pickles. I’ve got to admit, I still haven’t tried any different pickled vegetables, which I always say I’m going to do after reading a book in this series. I guess I’m just not adventuresome enough.

In the end, any complaints I have about the book are truly minor. For those who have been enjoying their visits with Piper and her friends, Scene of the Brine provides another fun trip. And if you’ve missed this series, pick up one today. You’ll find it well worth your time.

Grease Live!
Grease Live!
DVD ~ Aaron Tveit
Price: $17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars There Was a Reason I Had Been Avoiding This Musical, February 4, 2016
This review is from: Grease Live! (DVD)
There is a long list of classic American musicals I had never seen or hadn’t seen until the last few years. One of those was Grease. I’d avoided it because of some of what I’d heard about the storyline. But I couldn’t pass when I saw that Fox was joining the live musical bandwagon and producing Grease Live! With people I am familiar with in the cast, I figured this was as good a time as any to watch the movie. Sadly, it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting.

The musical takes up back to 1959 and tells the story of Sandy (Julianne Hough) and Danny (Aaron Tveit), high school seniors who had met the summer before on the beach. They figure they are going their separate ways until Sandy’s family moves from Salt Lake City and she attends a new school, the school where Danny just happens to go.

Of course, they can’t just get back together. Sandy’s a good girl with strict parents. Danny’s a greaser. Sandy makes friends with a group of girls lead by Rizzo (Vanessa Hudgens), who seems to have a bit of a crush on Danny. Will their very different backgrounds keep them from making their relationship work in the real world?

I can certainly see the appeal of the musical. Even today, 1950’s nostalgia is strong, and it was certainly strong in the 1970’s, when this musical was first written. The music is fun, and the dancing is top notch. This is an example of the best in the genre from that standpoint.

And NCB could learn a thing or two from the production here. Yes, it was all done on soundstages live, but that didn’t mean it was anything less than glorious. The costumes and the sets were both wonderful. The effects shots, pretty much reserved for a drag race late in the movie, were top notch. This was a huge step up from the three NBC efforts. There are also some awesome costume changes that compare to the best of Broadway.

Likewise, the acting was better. Oh, I’m not comparing it to any of the performances from the classic movie since I’ve never seen that. Again, I’m comparing it to the NBC live shows we’ve gotten so far, which have featured acting that can be a bit stiff. And it was a blast watching the cast, which included such people as Boys II Men, Carlos PanaVega, and even Eve Plumb as the female mechanics teacher at the school. I felt everyone did a great job.

I think one different was the live audience, which gave the performers someone to react against. Of course, it was a double edged sword when they used the audience as part of the action. For some scenes it work, but for others, it left me scratching my head. One scene in particular with two sets of bleachers on front lawn of the school springs immediately to mind in the head scratcher category.

No, my issues with the movie are more with the story. First, there’s the question of the timeline. I guess the story takes place over the course of a school year, but it felt to me like maybe a month had passed at most. Either I didn’t follow the story as much as I thought I did or they weren’t clear on the passage of time in this version.

But that’s not nearly as big a deal to me as the moral of the story. All the conflict goes away when Sandy changes herself and her values to match Danny’s. What relationship will last when you change that much for someone? What’s even worse is that from the very beginning, Danny and his friends are shown as shallow teens who degrade women. Trust me, they will not have a healthy relationship. And we even get an object lesson in how they treat women with a storyline involving Rizzo. Considering I hear “Never change for a man” preached to teenage women, I’m surprised this is such a popular musical since it has the exact opposite moral.

So I guess I’m one of the few who will never be a fan of this story. For a new generation, this product is fun, but the moral keeps me from fully recommending Grease Live!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2016 3:47 PM PST

A Disguise to Die For: A Costume Shop Mystery
A Disguise to Die For: A Costume Shop Mystery
by Diane Vallere
34 used & new from $3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars I Won’t Disguise My Love of This Debut, February 2, 2016
Months ago, Diane Vallere told me about her upcoming Costume Shop Mystery series, and I immediately started looking forward to it because it sounded like a fun setting for a mystery series. Now that I’ve read A Disguise to Die For, I can tell you it exceeded my expectations.

Margo Tamblyn has returned to her home town of Proper, Nevada, and the family costume shop, Disguise DeLimit. It’s supposed to be temporary until her father has recovered from a heart attack. It’s a good thing she is there to help out since Blitz Manners has just placed a rush order for 40 detective costumes for his upcoming birthday party. The costumes cover the range from books and TV and include many famous detectives. Blitz himself has reserved the classic Sherlock Holmes costume.

The party has just gotten into full swing when Margo walks into the kitchen to find Blitz dead on the floor and Margo’s friend Ebony standing over the corpse with a knife in her hand. Naturally, the police begin to look at Ebony as their chief suspect, and a secret in Ebony’s past might be her motive. However, Margo knows Ebony and knows her friend couldn’t have done it. Can Margo use detective costumes to bolster her own abilities and figure out which of the other detectives is a killer?

Since I’ve previously read two of Diane’s books, I knew to expect a puzzling mystery with plenty of suspects and red herrings. On that front, the book delivered perfectly. I had no clue what was happening until Margo figured it out at the end, yet the ending was perfectly logical with great clues along the way. I do think one red herring wasn’t completely resolved, although it is a very minor issue that doesn’t truly matter. And there are some masterful red herrings along the way.

What I think surprised me most about this book was the characters. There was a depth to them that I don’t usually see in the books I read, and certainly not in the first in a series. Usually, a debut is just worried about introducing the characters and the setting of the series, and deeper development comes later. This book delved much deeper than that, yet that development was completely organic to the story and didn’t slow things down at all. Heck, the victim was even a much fuller character than normal by the time the story was over.

And, of course, the costume aspect was a complete blast. I’m not much of a costume guy, but that’s because I’m not super creative when it comes to pulling things together like that. I got a kick out of the detective name dropping that happened in this book, everyone from Sherlock Holmes (obviously) and Miss Marple to Shaft, Columbo, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, Frank and Joe Hardy, Veronica Mars, and Trixie Belden. Yes, that last one is a huge bonus for me since I’m still a huge Trixie Belden fan. At the end of the book, we get a complete list of the detective costumes mentioned in the book as well as some suggestions for recreating four of them yourself. Not to mention Margo regularly dresses in costumes, and I always got a kick out of seeing what she’s pick from day to day.

Plus there are also a couple of recipes in the back. One is guaranteed to give you a great laugh.

I never wanted to put this book down, and the pages flew by all too quickly. When you pick up A Disguise to Die For, you’ll lose yourself in the costumes and pages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20