Profile for Martin E. Hutchison > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Martin E. Hutchison "An avid Reader" RSS Feed (Salisbury, MD USA)

Soulprint: Discovering Your Divine Destiny
Soulprint: Discovering Your Divine Destiny
by Mark Batterson
Price: $12.11
101 used & new from $0.21

5.0 out of 5 stars His BEST yet!, January 26, 2011
In Soul Print, Mark explores the life of David - King David - of Old Testament fame and looks at how David discovered who he was created to be and how we can do the same. Mark opens the book saying, "there has never been and never will be anyone else like you. But that isn't a testament to you. It's a testament to God who created you... You owe it to yourself to be yourself. But more important, you owe it to the One who designed you and destined you." He goes on to say that we worship God when we live our life in the way God created us to live it!

Here are a couple key quotes from the book... "what we think of as the goal isn't really the goal. The goal is not accomplishing the dream God has given you. The dream is a secondary issue. The primary issue is who you become in the process. We fixate on what and when and where. God's primary concern is always who. And He won't get you where he wants you to go until you become who he wants you to be." "Ultimately, all identity problems are really worship problems. Identity issues are the result of worshipping the wrong thing."

Mark uses personal stories as well as examples from the life of David to help us understand how we can discover who God created us to be.

I was given this book to preview, in exchange for writing a review. But even without being given the book, it is one I would have bought and would recommend that others buy. By far Mark's best book to date!

The Sandpaper Project
The Sandpaper Project
Price: $6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Songwriter and Singer!, January 19, 2011
This review is from: The Sandpaper Project (MP3 Music)
Joy Miller has a wonderful ability to create songs that speak to you in a deep way! And she has a great sounding voice too! This album is the culmination of many hours in the studio and a long time dream of hers! You will not be disappointed in this album! Great stuff!

AND: The Gathered and Scattered Church (Exponential Series)
AND: The Gathered and Scattered Church (Exponential Series)
by Hugh Halter
Price: $15.58
87 used & new from $1.72

5.0 out of 5 stars AND... helps you live in the tension!, April 29, 2010
After reading The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay and meeting Hugh in Harrisburg PA, this spring, I was anxious to get my hands on their new book AND. It came on Tuesday and by Thursday I have read it cover to cover. Had a hard time putting it down. Had lots of other things that were pressing, but this book was engaging me at a level I've been yearning for!

Especially helpful are the two chapters on The Consumerless Church and The Big AND: Gathered and Scattered in Perfect Harmony. The latter explores in great detail the sodalic and modalic arms of the church and the necessary importance of having BOTH!

Also very helpful are the diagrams and the down to earth, real-life stories.

I will be leading a discussion group of this book on three levels in the near future... local church, regional pastors and district pastors.

Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity
by Mark Batterson
122 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read for the New Year!, December 23, 2009
Having already read Mark's previous books, I came to this book with HIGH expectations. He didn't let me down. It is a good read and I found it very helpful. In many ways, Mark has put into writing some ideas that I have had for a number of years now.

The book's guiding image of peeling back the layers of all that Christianity has evolved into to get back to the "primal" nature of Christianity is a helpful image. The book is designed to take an indepth look at what was most important to Jesus.... the great commandment. Mark writes, "we have a tendency to complicate Christianity. Jesus simplified it: Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. If we are to live out the essence of Christianity, we must commit to being great at this Great Commandment."

And then Mark devotes the chapters in the book to taking a look at what each of those four ways we are to Love God might look like in our world and lives today.