Profile for Sean G > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 46

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sean G RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
I Always Want to Be Where I'm Not: Successful Living with ADD and ADHD
I Always Want to Be Where I'm Not: Successful Living with ADD and ADHD
Price: $7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Condescending, February 9, 2015
This book has a very "old school" problem: it's condescending, treats people with ADHD like they're defective, and is suffused with the attitude that you're wasting the other person's time by being such a screwup. The author all but explicitly says all of this in the beginning book, by making it clear that you are currently wasting your life, and if you'd only listen to this guy for one second you might (might! Unlike all the other screw-ups who are so defective that they can't even follow this guy's obviously flawless plan) be able to cobble together a workable existence.

Talk to us like adults. If you think you're "better off" than one of your leprotic clients, I promise you that it would take under a minute for someone candid to find a whole host of "problems" you should "deal with." Heck, we don't even have to go further than the utterly bizarre cover of this book.

Cosmos ® Neoprene Black/Orange Tablet Bag Sleeve For 9.7 Inch Apple iPad Air MD788LL/A
Offered by Cosmos Tech&Leisure
Price: $4.77

1.0 out of 5 stars The stitching on one side has begun to rapidly fall ..., December 12, 2014
The stitching on one side has begun to rapidly fall apart. I'll have to toss it and get something else soon. I may have to get something from Etsy, where people at least use proper thread.

Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Boot,Brown Suede,12 M US
Clarks Men's Bushacre 2 Boot,Brown Suede,12 M US
Price: $69.46
17 used & new from $67.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly crafted, December 12, 2014
I'm forced to give these shoes one star because I haven't owned them long at all and the sole on one of them has so significantly begun separating that my foot gets wet if it rains or I walk through snow. Additionally the bottoms of the soles have worn away incredibly quickly, leaving shoes that are honestly dangerously slippery. Also the finish immediately vanished, leaving shoes that look 100 years old, and not in a good way.

I want to like these shoes because they slip on and fit very nicely. But the fact is they're the most poorly crafted and constructed shoes of any I've owned.

NCI Advanced Research Dr. Hans Nieper Lithium Orotate Tablets, 200 Count
NCI Advanced Research Dr. Hans Nieper Lithium Orotate Tablets, 200 Count
Offered by AmericaRx
Price: $15.74
21 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the good ones, November 16, 2014
Lithium orotate is one of the few supplements I've taken that actually have had a significant impact on my life. In fact, this may have had the largest impact of any supplement I've taken.

What I experience is best explained in metaphors and near-breathless awe: It's like things in life are less "sharp" or threatening. I feel like even if someone got mad and start yelling at me, I'd be able to handle it, respond exactly how I want to, and not have the rest of my day (or week) ruined by that single encounter. I find myself speaking up for myself more, and am able to avoid distractions more easily. Often I'll find myself reacting negatively to he thought of some social occasion, but then reconsidering it and thinking, "Y'know, that's not that big a deal. I'll just do it. Maybe talking with people will be fun."

I don't think that a truly threatening/triggering/traumatizing situation would be thwarted by this supplement, but I do think normal everyday stresses are mostly smoothed out and put into a much less harsh perspective.

One note about dosing: one pill usually does nothing for me, but two effects a great change. Sometimes I take 3 and find it helps even more. The point is that if you don't experience an effect, increase the dose. I take 2-3 twice or three times a day.

The Antaran Codex (Mapped Space Book 1)
The Antaran Codex (Mapped Space Book 1)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sci-fi books I've ever read, November 16, 2014
Fantastically imagined and constructed. The plot is simply compelling and the story perfectly paced, yet everything is absolutely infused with heaps of well-considered, believable "world-craft." One of the best sci-fi books I've ever read.

Gone Girl: A Novel
Gone Girl: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, October 2, 2014
I started this book out of my interest in missing persons cases and other true crime. This book has some mystery in it; it could have gone "full Inception" (which is what I was hoping for) but didn't.

This is an alright book. I appreciated the last fifth or so. I liked the interesting ending; the last sentence or so saved it from being more shortsighted than it could have been.

The mystery aspect of this book suffers from what so many TV dramas today suffer from: Any mystery presented could not have possibly been solved because you're not given all the information until nearly the end of the story. Compare the movie "The Sixth Sense" to any episode of The Mentalist. The former has a "twist," sure, but it is masterfully embedded throughout the movie. The latter makes its lead character seem clever by giving him information and insight that can rarely be gleaned by those watching. This book falls into the second category.

I feel like people read this author's other books because they like how she writes. There's a clever perspective switch that happens between chapters in this book, but I feel like that becomes blurred by the end. Other than that, I actually found the writing in this book to be pretty quotidian.

Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
by Mark Lee
Price: $12.16
86 used & new from $5.91

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, September 4, 2014
Great book. Our 20 month old kiddo loves it.

The artwork is remarkable. The perspectives, geometry and staging are all very pleasing to look at. The cover gives an accurate representation.

If you saw this book and though "Oh our kiddo loves trucks. I bet he'd like this," you are right and you should get it.

Brilliance (The Brilliance Saga Book 1)
Brilliance (The Brilliance Saga Book 1)
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, August 25, 2014
Talented writer with keen insight; I highlighted a lot of passages in this book. Even so, the book was just okay. I don't know that I'll read any sequels.

Disappeared Season 6 [HD]
Disappeared Season 6 [HD]
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 16, 2014
My favorite show. I long for the day they make more.

Supercell
Supercell
Price: $7.55

3.0 out of 5 stars Found the conflict with the son to be outmoded and ..., July 18, 2014
This review is from: Supercell (Kindle Edition)
Found the conflict with the son to be outmoded and nearly fatal to my continuing reading.

It's hard to talk about this book with others. Listing out all the major plot points and conflicts sounds nothing short of ridiculous.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5