Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS
Profile for B. A. Jones > Reviews

Browse

B. A. Jones' Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. A. Jones "JoBob_55" RSS Feed (Little Rock, AR, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Brawn, 3rd Edition
Brawn, 3rd Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tome of Weightlifting--Finally Found It!, May 27, 2011
Many of you would agree that many fitness magazines and books have gimmicks or workouts that might be extreme, but they never explain why you have to do this workout or that workout--all for the promise of a better physique or an increase in muscle mass. Mr. McRoberts "Brawn" is the first weightlifting book that answers all of my questions. Where am I (in measurements) in the grand scheme of weightlifting or even bodybuilding? How much should my 1RM be for an ideal pinnacle for a hardgainer? Why I should keep basic compound lifts such as the barbell bench press, the squat and the deadlift as critical parts of my workout regimen? He is very specific in his guidance, emphasizing constant progression with weights or reps, when you're probably overtraining and when to use intensifiers (i.e. negative reps, pause-reps, 21s/lucky 7s, isometric holds, etc.) All of this the author lays out in a practical manner. I started lifting weights as a teen 13 years ago, and I wish that I had this book then. I've acheived some results thoughout those years going here and there--this magazine, that magazine--this book, that book, trying what worked for others. But nowhere near as much as I would have had if I focused my workouts using the principles in this book. I've spent a lot of time looking around for something that works for us as hardgainers and I would challenge that others would be hardpressed to find another weightlifting book with about all of the info you need to keep a sound and safe workout regimen that will deliver that increase of muscle mass when all the basic principles are followed, as well as telling you WHY. It is definitely worth the look for someone with those goals who finds it hard to gain muscle like me. Ladies, he does address how you can use this book as well, but I have to admit the info's a little sparse.

TRUE-MASS, Chocolate Milkshake, 5.82 Pound
TRUE-MASS, Chocolate Milkshake, 5.82 Pound
Offered by Vitamin Discount Center
Price: $39.62
25 used & new from $37.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as advertised, the missing part of my weightlifting equation, May 21, 2011
Before reading Brawn and Beyond Brawn, these awesome weightlifting guides by Stewart McRobert, I thought I supported my body calorically to gain mass in the 10 years I started lifting weights but apparently it was nowehre near enough. Nor did I know how critical it was to acheving my goals since I didn't want to overdo it and then have to work on losing weight as I had in the past. True Mass is an awesome mix of casein, whey and egg white protein (just to name a few ingredients) and supported my muscle damage from weightlifting to cement my results in muscle mass, not just strength as it was in the past. Since using it to add approximately 1700 calories to my daily intake in the past 6 weeks, I've gained 7 pounds of muscle mass. As a hard gainer, True Mass allowed me to bridge what was apparently a calorie gap for me in building muscle. It tastes great and makes it easy for me to accomplish my weightlifting goals, since I can't stomach enough solid food to get the calories I need.

PSPgo - Piano Black
PSPgo - Piano Black
Offered by NCube, Inc.
Price: $204.99
35 used & new from $78.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, just overpriced..., October 3, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PSPgo - Piano Black (Video Game)
I wanted to grab a portable game system that I could just download a few games while I was away from home for a few months. The PSPgo was what I chose. At first I was very nervous, looking at early reviews and various PSP games unavailable for download on their PlayStation Network website. But I'm glad I fought my feelings and went for it because it's a pretty impressive system. It has a good list of features, but the one I enjoy the most is connecting a PS3 controller (less wear/tear on the PSP's controls and much easier to handle.) The games do take a while to download, but they are around a Gig each so that's expected. When they're installed, they operate seamlessly, loading much faster than UMDs. I browsed the PSN using my wife's PS3 and downloaded the games I wanted. I also had to use her PS3 to initially connect the controller to my PSPgo--while that's little annoying it's not a deal breaker to me.

It seems from last year's reviews it seemed that Sony didn't have their act together when they released the PSPgo. This device only has one way to receive media without UMDs, and most of it wasn't available. But presently, they have a wide selection to choose from-- when you browse the PSN from your PS3. It doesn't look like they keep the PSN website and the actual store updated simultaneously, so just a head's up there.

I wished they had their most recent blockbusters ready for download (like Crisis Core) but there are other great games that have been out for a while that are available. My markdown to 4 stars is simply for the price. It's a nice piece of hardware, but in my humble opinion it's not worth $100 more than the standard PSP-3000. Some argue that it's only $50 less than a PS3--well I looked about 2 feet over to the PS3 price tag and noticed there's quite a bit more of a gap than 50 bucks. Why did I buy it over a PSP-3000 then? It fit the bill for what I wanted for a PSP system and the UMD selections really aren't that great where I'm at. Basically, I don't regret buying it--Sony screwed up here at first but the water seems fine now. Please check it out for yourself and see what you think--most of the past reviews are from another time in the PSPgo's life.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 8:08 PM PST

Apple iPad (first generation) MB293LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi)
Apple iPad (first generation) MB293LL/A Tablet (32GB, Wifi)
Offered by DBG Trade
Price: $549.99
44 used & new from $86.00

5.0 out of 5 stars After a Year, Still in Love..., June 21, 2010
I bought two iPads for my wedding anniversary--something my wife and I can have like a his/hers thing, LOL. I didn't leap at getting the iPad or for any other Apple product-- I was very skeptical and closely gathered what information was available to me and what I wanted out of an e-reader (since my first consideration was getting Kindles.) What did it for me was that the Kindle DX, the most expensive one, was about $60 less than the cheapest iPad--shame on you, Amazon. Obviously the iPad could do way more than just contain e-books, so I went with it.

I broke the piggy bank getting them but I haven't regretted it--our iPads have definitely made their own niche in the way my wife and I read books, watch movies and surf the Internet. As a portable media device it's wonderful--I've taken it on long flights (8 hours)and watched movies and read a few e-books I purchased. I have yet to have any problems with how long it lasts on a charge. The display is very crisp and shines best when you're watching videos on it. For the fingerprints, I have a large lint free cloth I carry with it to wipe it down--those fingerprints do stand out when the display is off. I use it daily to read the news and browse casually and comfortably anywhere in my home. My job involves continuous review of technical data and publications--I have them loaded to my iPad and read them with ease. My wife also loves using it to play music from her library while she browses online. Is it a laptop replacement? Definitely not. It seems cumbersome to try to prepare a presentation, create a long note or document on this thing without giving up and reaching for your laptop. It seems it's no better than trying to do the same on your smartphone, unless you had the keyboard which I hadn't purchased. For everything that others claim the iPad comes short on, my netbook has it (ie webcam, usb) so I'm not worried about it.

Please believe me when I tell you this device is in a place of its own--not quite the laptop, but a very versatile reading/ media tool. We've owned ours for about two months now, and we love them.

UPDATE 25 MAR 2011
It's been about a year since my wife and I purchased our iPads and I can tell you that I hate to sound cliche, but it has changed my life. It's my newspaper (USA Today, CNN.) When I go to college online it's my notebook (Notes Plus.) At work it's my publications library that I'm required to reference often (PDF Expert/iAnnotate.) Before I had my iPad, I had a few critical publications in print, but I could only reference my electronic pubs at home or on my laptop. Now they're all with me wherever I go and coworkers and bosses often ask me questions I can pull up quickly on my iPad with a reference. And last but not least, it's my personal library (Kindle) and my Bible (OliveTree Bible Reader.) To my wife, it's her ultra portable Internet browser and a library of interactive kids books for our daughter. It's in a niche of its own. I'm not sure if playing with it in the Apple Store would do it justice, since like an iPhone an iPad has to be app-tailored by its owner . I know it's not a fancy as the 2nd Gen iPad with the cameras, but I'm very happy with mine and I probably won't replace it until it gives out on me. It's the best portable electronic tool I have ever owned to date. I know there are other media tables that have tried to compete, but honestly I don't think anything can come close whether some people like Apple or not--the iPad is it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2010 9:07 PM PDT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Seemed to be the Godsend Contraceptive, but..., August 19, 2009
My wife and I were looking for a contraceptive that would satisfy both of us as she is incompatible with most bc pills and I don't like condoms. This seemed to be the ticket! Just place one of these inserts as close to the cervix as possible 10 minutes before sex and a new one for any additional hour of protection required. It does give my wife a warming sensation and doesn't bother her at all. Other guys have complained about the taste-- I really didn't have that much of problem--it certainly doesn't taste like candy, but it's not that bad. The big problem for me is that after sex, I had a serious burning sensation when I urinated-- I'd say a 3 or 4 out of 10. It lasted at this level for about 3 days then subsided to 2 or a 1 for a week. I guess I might be able to suffer occasionally, but we can't rely on this for our main contraceptive unfortunately and may have to look elsewhere. I see other reviews for the jelly--we may try that out.

Fable II: Limited Collectors Edition
Fable II: Limited Collectors Edition
34 used & new from $8.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Ride, but Fable Fans prepare for some Disappointments along the way..., May 31, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I won't go into detail about the storyline and such since it's well-covered by other reviewers. I will say that having played the original Fable, I enjoyed some of the changes Lionhead made but disappointed in many others. Many fellow customers note the lack of depth in the storyline, and characters, especially the villains. I liken this situation to the contrast between Batman: Vengeance (which was great) to Rise of Sin Tzu (total flop.) Like the difference between the two Batman games , Lionhead didn't give us what we were salivating for these past years when we picked up wind of this sequel coming out. Overall, good graphics, decent gameplay--through the non critical eye of a player new to the series, I think they would enjoy it. But most of us have played the original and we are disappointed in this product that appears to have been thrown together and tossed to us like dog food.

Flexpod Car Mount System for Apple iPhone 3G and 3GS / iPod Touch 2nd and 3rd Gen - Cutting Edge FM Transmitter and Charger with DC Surge Protection and Stabilized Flex-Neck
Offered by Phonil
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding...Does all It's Supposed to Do and Does It WELL!!, May 20, 2009
I needed something that would let me enjoy the contents of my iPod Nano 4G during my anticipated long distance drive over the holiday weekend. I tested this puppy out and it is simply wonderful! As noted by other customers, the FM transmitter gives out the clearest audio I have ever heard--no static whatsoever! It's setup to allow the user to easily control/view their mobile Apple device while having it charge. The plug is ingeniously engineered to where you can easily manipulate this plug from fully plugged in to partially unplugged-- this device is reinforced at the plug to stay put if you leave it slightly unplugged. Awesome!--no constant putting away/setting up routines! The USB jack allows me to trickle-charge my phone. 1 plug for both of my most important mobile devices. I am extremely pleased and impressed! A+++++

EDIT 8 JUN 09--After having used it since my trip, I have noticed the signs of shoddy workmanship that some of the more critical customers identified. I had issues with the bottom "prongs" that give the iPod footing inside the mount. The bottom would occasionally open and cause these things to fall out. If I were to lose either of these pieces it wouldn't be able to hold the device anymore--game over. It also has little to no resistance rotating in the outlet--especially with a heavier iPhone--resulting in more frustration than it's worth. I cannot say I would recommend to another customer at this point, since this thing might fall apart on me I'll probably have to get something else that's more built to last soon. A very good concept, but they have a lot of work to do to make this product perfect. I would now downgrade it to 3 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2009 3:25 PM PST

HTC Touch Diamond Pro compatible Vent Vehicle Mount Cradle - Unique Auto Car Holder Clips into Air Vents. Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Gomadic Corp.
Price: $24.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternate Solution to Suction Mounted Holders, But..., May 20, 2009
I needed this holder in anticipation of long distance travel--a device to hold my HTC Fuze so I can use its GPS to navigate the long road ahead. I never had a suction cup style mount, but I was definitely averted to it--just the inconvenience of the suction possibly coming off and obstructing my front view was just out of the question for me. This car vent mounted holder was the solution for me. It has spring loaded grips that hook around the depth of the vent. It took a while, but finally, I had the grips where I wanted them and the small swivel in the back helps you further stabilize the holder against its vent mount. The sides are extended and held open by a button pumped on the lower right side, then you close it on your phone by squeezing them together. Two swivels are available on the bottom that you can extend or retract to give your phone footing as needed.

I like this holder mostly because it's exactly what I was looking for--I asked, and Gomadic answered. However, I have to question its durability and its ability to successfully be remounted elsewhere without losing those crucial grips--this is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. One of the grips fell apart on me, and one of them sprang out into other areas of the car-- this made me VERY nervous. The possibility of easily losing a piece in the vent or elsewhere in the car is unsettling to me--it would make this entire mount useless, resulting in a possibly frustrating situation. However, the pieces are easily reassembled and then I was free to continue my mounting attempts. Other than that, it is a good product, and I would recommend it to anyone who hates suction mounted holders.

Dude Food: Recipes for the Modern Guy
Dude Food: Recipes for the Modern Guy
by Gideon Bosker
67 used & new from $1.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, April 29, 2009
I initially bought this cookbook to impress a girldfriend with my cooking, who is now my wife, LOL. Not that it was because of my cooking, but when I made dinner for us at my place, she was very impressed. Even after a few years of having it, I continue to use some of the recipes I've committed to memory as a dish I serve up when I cook for my family. I can't vouch for all of them-- I bypassed the recipes that require ingredients that can only apply to that dish but the ones that I have used tasted phenomenal! I really didn't have a lot of cooking experience myself, but I just made sure to follow the instructions closely and watching my food at half times (sometimes even quarter times) like a hawk to make sure there wasn't any over or uneven cooking, and voila! There it was! So it is possible, gents--we CAN cook, LOL. It gets all of my stars--recipes are fairly easy to prepare and tastes great!

Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar
Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar
Price: $28.70
42 used & new from $16.96

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best training devices I have in my home workout arsenal, March 8, 2009
I won't waste your time by repeating many of the great reviews on this product, but I'll tell you that I've had it since Sept '08 and it delivers as advertised... I searched for a while for a chin-up bar that uses your weight to stay in place as opposed to hardware which leaves holes everywhere and sometimes breaks away, and before you know it, you might need a new door trim. I really love my Iron Gym as it allows me to do various chin-up grips, deeper pushups, and tricep dips at home or on the road. I opted out of getting their ab straps though; I bought Valeo ab straps (that use extra-large carabiners to attach) and they work great.

There is no doubt doing leg lifts with this device helped my midsection a lot--the bottom section of my abs that is quite difficult for me to intensely isolate exercising on the ground is made easier using the ab straps, and has defined the bottom of my waist to meet with the upper part of my abs. My Iron Gym helped me to improve my upper body endurance strength, and will be there wherever I take it to either maintain or go the next mile. It's the chin-up bar that can be set up at home whenever you want without worrying about being embarrased about approaching the chin-up bar that seems to have a spotlight in the middle of the weight room--some of you know what I'm talking about, LOL. And I can't do a lot of them completely unassisted-- I do chair assisted chin-ups with it, but I have noticed since using it regularly that I've pushed the chair farther away with the same reps and it's great to see and know that I'm improving without needing to worry about that "spotlight" in the gym. Anyone who wants that comfort of a home workout will find a great addition to their arsenal in the Iron Gym.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3