Profile for Terrance H. Heath > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 127

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terrance H. Heath "terrancedc" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Etymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Search Is Over...Maybe, December 29, 2006
I haven't had these for very long, so I should probably reserve judgment. However, I am notoriously picky about my earbuds. Being a daily commuter who doesn't go anywhere without my iPod, and a stickler for good sound, I've been through countless earbuds.

After reading about possible hearing loss from iPod use, I switched to noise reducing earbuds. I tried Sony's model, and they worked alright, but eventually one of the buds went silent. So I switched to Phillips' slightly cheaper brand. The sound quality wasn't as good. If I used sound check on the iPod, I'd have to turn the volume all the way up to avoid hearing a lot of external noise.

I finally got these, based on recommendations from a co-worker, and they're great. The flanged tips that came already on the earbuds were a perfect fit. When I followed the directions for inserting them, I got a perfect seal the first time.

When a co-worker came in and spoke to me while I was using them, I couldn't hear her, even when I paused the music. I had to take them out to hear her. And I had no trouble getting them out by twisting them according to the directions. The true test was wearing them on the subway, and they passed with flying colors. I heard very little external noise.

What's more, I have sound check on again, and I find I now actually have to lower the volume on the iPod where I had to turn it all the way up before. Now I'm getting great sound and I feel like I'm saving my hearing too. Plus I'm hearing details in my music that I hadn't heard before!

This Place Of Men
This Place Of Men
by Doug Cooper-Spencer
Price: $17.40
35 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story and a core truth, June 25, 2006
This review is from: This Place Of Men (Paperback)
As a black gay man who's always been out, I've never quite understood other men who remain closeted. Even though I know well that the cost of coming out is often the loss of support from family, church and community -- and I know the pain of that cost -- I've always thought the cost of remaining closeted to maintain that familiar life was too high.

As the story of Otis, Terrell and the people in their lives unfolded, I understood something about men like Terrell, who remain closted and/or live the "straight" life, immersed in family, church and community while hiding or denying who they are. They are leading the only lives they've been prepared to live.

But I understood a core truth as the story continued: sometimes the live you've been prepared for isn't the one meant for you; sometimes it's not even the live you've been given. The book doesn't beat you over the head with that truth, but the writer puts it together artfully, so that you find yourself understanding it even though it's never plainy stated. That is the mark of a good story and a good writer.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke on the First Use, April 29, 2006
I had literally just plugged it in. I found the station I wanted to use on the radio, then I found it on the iTrip and pressed the "set" button. It broke. As soon as I pressed it, the button went below the body of the iTrip and was irretrievable. I discovered this when I decided the reception on the station I chose was not as good as I'd like. But the "set" button was stuck in the down position, and no amount of digging could bring it back up. I was stuck with the first station I selected.

Since the receipt was long gone and I couldn't return it, I tossed it out of the window, ran over it in the parking lot, and bought the Monster iCarPlayer Wireless Plus. Works beautifully.

For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence
For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence
by Alice Miller
Price: $11.68
260 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Permission to Know, April 9, 2006
I remember reading "Great Expectations" in school and feeling a shock of recognition when the narrator mentioned that he'd been "brought up by hand." I realized I had been brought up by hand too; by the palm of the hand, the back of the hand, or whatever implement was near enough for that hand to grab and swing. After the smack or swat came the welts and the tears and then the command to "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about." As a rule, a natural response to that pain and humiliation was not allowed. Nor was any other expression of frustration or anger. Not only did I not have a right not be physically harmed, but I didn't have a right to my feelings about either.

Alice Miller's words have given me a context in which to understand my childhood experience, and to begin to look at it honestly as well as the effect it's had on my life. While I know have a better understanding of why I adopted various personal characteristics and made certain choices as an adult, her book has helped strengthen a resolve I formed as a child: that if I ever had children of my own, I would never use physical punishment on them; I would never deny them their feelings as I'd been denied mine.

Today I have a three year old son who at least doesn't know what it's like to be beaten by the parents who are supposed to love and protect him, or to have his feelings and his personhood denied. I decided a long time ago that if I could help it, my children would know that there's a better way. Alice Miller's words give me hope that there is such a way, and that I might find it if I continue to pay attention.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 12:25 AM PDT

Philips Surround Sound Black Earbuds - HE591 (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Philips Surround Sound Black Earbuds - HE591 (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, But Not Great, December 15, 2005
I grabbed these earbuds in Target one day, because I needed a new pair after one side of my old one's stopped working. I've gotten picky about how my music sounds, so I was pleasantly surprised by the sound I got from these. However, there are some design flaws. I didn't have the problems some folks had with the earbuds hurting their ears. My problem is that they frequently fall out of my ears. After a while, it gets irritating. And I second another reviewer's point about the different cord lengths for the earbuds, which means that the right earbud will go around the back of your neck. For some reason, this ends up causing some pulling on the left earbud, which then (as I mentioned above) falls out of your ear.

So, if your considering these, I'd say save your money and buy something better. If you just need something quick, these will do, but for extended use (I use mine every day) these aren't what you want.

With Billie
With Billie
by Julia Blackburn
33 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This One, July 27, 2005
This review is from: With Billie (Hardcover)
I've been a Billie Holiday fan since I was in my teens, but I'd never read a biography of her. I avoided the "Lady Sings the Blues" autobiography, after hearing how much of it was just plain wrong or made up. And I was never able to decide which of the existing bios to read, until I saw this one in my Amazon recommendations. After reading the description, and realizing that it was taken from interviews of people who actually lived and worked with Billie -- and loved her -- I knew this would be the one I read.

This book isn't so much about Billie as it is haunted by her. The interviews construct a rough timeline of her life, but still drift in and out of various periods. You get a sense of Billie. You catch a glimpse of her here and there. Once in awhile her voice breaks through, so you hear it clearly. The overall effect is somewhat ghostly. And at the end, when the picture of her last days begins to come into sharp focuse, she fades away again.

This is a book written by a Billie Holiday fan, for Billie Holiday fans, that presents her both through the eyes of those who knew the flesh and blood woman, and through the eyes of someone captivated by the legend. There are fascinating details throughout, and author manages to fill in the holes just enough to hold the story together. Even the footnotes are worth reading.

Some have complained about there not being enough pictures of Billie in the book. The truth is that this book should really be a companion to the recently released "Billie Holiday: The Ultimate Collection" box set, because most of Linda Khuel's pictures (Khuel did the original interviews before her suicide) ended up on the DVD portion of that package. (Another must for a Holiday fan.)

As one reviewer said, it's an addictive read. I found it impossible to put down, and like someone in the audience at one of Billie's concerts, in the end I was left wanting more.

Motown Remixed
Motown Remixed
Price: $8.52
66 used & new from $0.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Heard It Through the Grapvine, June 16, 2005
This review is from: Motown Remixed (Audio CD)
I grew up listening to Motown. So, a lot of these songs have been the soundtrack to my life for as long as I can remember. So when I was out shopping at a local bookstore/music store I found myself enjoying the Motown CD they were playing over the store sound system. Then I realized something was different, when I found self listening to a version of the Supremes' "My World is Empty Without You," one that I'd never heard before...but liked. I asked the cashier which CD it was. She went and got it for me. I read the track list and bought it.

One caveat. This is NOT a collection for purists. If original Motown is the ONLY Motown for you, then pass the collection by. If you're willing to listen with new ears, give it a try. There are some really good vibes here. But, like other remix projects, there are a few misses too. It gets off to a great start. The first five tracks nearly rocket right off the CD. What's noticable in each of the first five is that the tracks were stripped down to the vocals, and the remixes reveal nuances that got lost in some of the original production. It makes the vocals even more important than they were originally, and it makes them more intimate in an unexpected way. It's most evident on "I Want You Back" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered," but it realy shines through on "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" by Glady's Knight and the Pips. Knights vocals shine just as much as they did originally, but the remix reveals how much work the Pips were doing as well. In "Grapevine" and "Signed, Sealed..." the "call and response" pattern so important to Motown's music is even more evident here.

Things start to slow down with "Quiet Storm" and nearly get too slow. The song choices here don't seem to quite be the best. Of all the Supremes songs to remix, "My Wold is Empty Without You" isn't the first that springs to mind, and I wonder what might have been done with a hit like "Back in My Arms Again" or even "Someday We'll Together" or "Love Child." Of the last half, "Tears of a Clown" is probably the best track, and "Mary Jane" is an appropriate nod to the Rick James era.

It's a bit uneven, but all in all a good collection, and I expect it will follow the same pattern as the Verve Remixed franchise.

BIG BOX OF ART 800,000 FOR MAC
BIG BOX OF ART 800,000 FOR MAC

4.0 out of 5 stars Whatever You Need, June 16, 2005
If you're a beginning or amatuer designer, or a hobbyist, this collection may be all you need for whatever you need to do. I bought this collection after switching from PC to Mac. Previously, I'd used the Hemera Big Box of Art 350,000 for Windows, and bought this product based on my previous experience with the brand. That's it's on DVD makes it an even bigger plus, because there's only 8 DVDs to content with. If you work from a laptop, and move around alot, it's great because it's compact and easy to take with you.

This is my third set of clip art, and none of them had a printed book, so I can't speak to whether that's easier or better. I find it fairly easy to use the browser to search for graphics, and exporting them to work with couldn't be easier.

I gave it four stars because at first I had a little trouble getting the browser to detect the collection, but then I scanned for the collection and it worked.

If you can't find it online or from the manufacturer, you should try ebay. It might end up being the only collection of clip art you'll need.

Philips Surround Sound White Earbuds - HE592 (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Philips Surround Sound White Earbuds - HE592 (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Someone At Phillips Must Have Listened, May 16, 2005
Based on some of the reviews on this product, and the image above, I think Phillips may have listened to complaints and made some changes to the earbuds. The pair I just bought came with an entirely different set of cups than the ones pictured above, considerably narrower at the end that goes into the ear. The ones pictured here came as a separate pair of cups, unattached to the earbuds. So, it looks like Phillips made some adjustments to help them fit better for most people. I've only been using mine for the last day, but I wore them during my commute to work (which involves a fair amount of walking) and didn't have any trouble with them falling out.

The sound is satisfactory, and a bit better than I expected from a $20 pair of earbuds. I use them with my iPod and noticed that with the Phillips earbuds I had to reduce the volume from the level I used with the original iPod earbuds. As for the virtual-surround, the sound is somewhat richer than with the iPod earbuds, and more external noise is cancelled out.

My only complaint is the chord is designed to be worn around the neck, but works best if you wear your player on your left. I tend to wear mine on the right. A slight adustment, with the chord crossing in front of me took care of that, so I didn't experience any tugging.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

Logitech Optical Marble Mouse (USB/PS2)
Logitech Optical Marble Mouse (USB/PS2)
Offered by Priority Sales Inc
Price: $29.99
21 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars It Just works, September 20, 2004
I got this for work, because I work mostly on a laptop, and was getting tired of the touchpad. A regular mouse was still a fair amount of work, but this was just what the doctor ordered. It just works. It was easy to get started. It seems almost as if it was make to fit my hand very naturally. And since I started using it, I haven't had as much wrist pain. I reccomend it to anyone who spends a lot of time on the computer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13