Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Terrance H. Heath > Reviews

Browse

Terrance H. Heath's Profile

Customer Reviews: 131

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Terrance H. Heath "terrancedc" RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Law & Order: Dead on the Money - PC
Law & Order: Dead on the Money - PC
33 used & new from $0.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Just Watch the Show, October 23, 2002
I've never revised a review before, but I felt I had to this time. First off, do not think that the requirement listed on the package are all that's required for an enjoyable gaming experience here. If you do not have one of the newer video cards, don't even bother. Based on the requirements listed on the box, I should have been able to play this game without a problem. But after dealing with a spinning screen, a game that paused for long stretches of time, and even a screen that went white, I called tech support only to find out (after buying the game) that I needed a newer video card if I really wanted to play. Even after downloading and installing a few drivers provided by Legacy Interactive, I couldn't get it to run as it was supposed to.
Then there is the trial section. At least during the investigative half, you can pause the game or walk away from it for a while, and you have plenty of opportunities to save your game. Save BEFORE you go to trial, and if you think you're going to be distracted DON'T go to trial. Save your game, go live your life and come back to it later. Because once you're in trial phase, you can't save or quit the game until that phase of the trial is over. And again, if you don't have a newer video card, you'll be frustrated when you do get to trial because the 3D animation be jerky and will skip to such a degree that you will inevitably miss some of the testimony of the defense witnesses and some of the defense attorney's questions. (And you can't object to what you don't hear. Not effectively anyway.)
I played through to the end of the trial phase, and all the way to the verdict just once, because I wanted finish at least one game. And I then uninstalled the game and got rid of it. If I want the "Law and Order experience" I'll catch the show itself on television.

Yoga: The Poetry of the Body
Yoga: The Poetry of the Body
by Rodney Yee
215 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a Beginner, October 20, 2002
I'd tried yoga before, by taking a few classes at my gym. But sometimes the classes were more than I was ready for, and I ended up being self conscious about my ability - or lack thereof - to accomplish some of the poses. Then I started seeing Yee's yoga videotapes around. I bought AM/PM Yoga, and enjoyed the opportunity to re-introduce myself to yoga in the privacy of my own home, with the option to pause and rewinde the video if I needed to see a particular pose again and try it one more time.
And now Yee has a book out, and I didn't have to think long before bying it. For someone like me, who is just beginning, and maybe a little intimidated even, this book is bound to be a great resource for learning the basic poses. I'm already trying out some of the first practices. One review mentioned that beginners might be a bit intimidated by Yee's physique, but the book is pretty true to the comforting and encouraging manner that comes across in his videos, that tends to put even the beginner at ease. I've never attended one of his seminars or retreats, but if I ever have the opportunity, I will. In the meantime, this book is helping me get started.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Find, October 16, 2002
I came across this CD package on sale at a conference I was attending, and I couldn't wait to get back to my room and try it out. I've taken a few yoga classes before, and wanted to find a way to practice at home. I thought about getting a couple of videos (and still may), but the combination of the poster with examples of the poses and the guided practies on the CDs turned out to be a great way to get a practice started. I put the Lunar Practice CD in my laptop, laid the poster out on the floor and got started without a hitch. The big plus is that it's easy to take on the road. All you need is something to play the CD's. If you get it, you won't regret it.

Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
by Sharon Salzberg
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $24.02
142 used & new from $1.34

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource, October 16, 2002
If you've always wanted/intended to start your own meditation practice, I would recommend this set. The workbook and CD combine as a tool that will be helpful to beginners and intermediate "meditators" alike. The cards, I found interesting perhaps as a reminder of the lesson subjects in the workbook, but the set would be no less effective without them.

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom - PC
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom - PC
Offered by El Sales
Price: $80.00
16 used & new from $39.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, May Get Better With Updates, September 16, 2002
I downloaded the demo of this game, and thoroughly enjoyed playing it, so I went out and bought the full version. Having played all the games in Sierra's city-building series, this one takes its style after Zeus/Posiedon and raises the bar a bit. The interface is easy and intuitive, so users familiar with the other games will recognize it immediately and total newcomers will quickly adapt.
My only complaint is that I found there was a conflict between this game and Pharaoh/Cleopatra from the Great Empires II collection. Emperor uninstalled Pharaoh/Cleo before it would install, and vice versa when I tried to reinstall Pharoah/Cleo. I checked Sierra's forum, and apparently they are working on this issue now and hopefully it will be fixed with an update.
The campaign editor works like the one in Zeus/Posiedon, but seems a bit buggy on my screen. (Maximizing it helped, but it still ran pretty slow.)
The online campaigns are what sets this game apart, and I was able to play online without any problems. I'd say this game is worth buying, just keep your eye out for updates from Sierra.

RCA RD1060 64 MB Kazoo Digital Audio Player
RCA RD1060 64 MB Kazoo Digital Audio Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed-, September 6, 2002
I've been carting cd's back and forth to work and the gym in order to be able to listen to what I want. When my cd player, which is relatively new, started malfuntioning, I decided to upgrade to an MP3 player. I found a lot that were either out of my price range or had way more bells and whistles than I needed. This player was what I needed at the right price. When I got it home, I was a bit put out to discover that I had to load MusicMatch in order to use it, and that it doesn't work with Windows Media Player or Real Player, and it doesn't simply function as an external hard drive. But MediaMatch is easy enough to use once loaded. I recommend going for the 64MB memory model, since the price difference is 20 bucks. I can get just over and hour of music on it, and I plan to invest in an external memory card later to expand the amount of music I can put on it. What's more, I can decide from what day to the next which songs I want to carry around. The neckband is great for the gym, as is the armband. I'm hoping that if the plastic carrier breaks another one can be purchased easily. For the money, and for what it does, this MP3 player is a good buy.

A People's History of the United States: 1492 to the Present
A People's History of the United States: 1492 to the Present
by Howard Zinn
53 used & new from $9.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Where Was This History?, September 3, 2002
I came across Zinn's book as a result of Amazon's recommendations, and I'm glad I did. Even as a high school student, I sought out the "other side of the story" of the history I was taught, realizing that history is often written by the "victors," who come out on top, and that other voices are muted if included at all. Zinn's approach appealed to me immediately, as I was more than aware of what our leaders did during varius historical eras. I wanted to hear the voices of those who didn't come out on top, who were sacrificed (usually involuntarily) to further the interests of the U.S., and who fought to make this country begin to live up to the words on which it was founded. If all you know about American history is what you learned in school, read this book.
If I have any criticism, it's that Zinn's writing sometimes leaves a bit to be desired in terms of style. But that's probably due at least in part to the massive scope of the book and the amount of material packed between it's covers. At times, one is overwhelmed by the amount of information Zinn includes. At some points it's engrossing, and at other points it's best taken in small chunks. This is not a book for bedtime reading. You have to "bring something" to this book, it's much better to read it when you're likely to be more aware.

The Mount: A Novel
The Mount: A Novel
by Carol Emshwiller
Price: $15.41
88 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Thought Provoking, August 21, 2002
This review is from: The Mount: A Novel (Paperback)
I read this book after reading a brief review of it on Salon.Com. I don't often read science fiction, but the synopsis got me intereted and from the moment I started reading, Emshwiller's writing and characterization held me. Emshwiller doesn't go into excessive detail in painting a picture of the future world she's portraying, which is to her credit as it allows the reader to supply his/her own images of the people, places and things in the story. Perhaps that's why Emshwiller's writing has an almost cinematic feel, giving the reader a kind of panoramic view. At first, it felt like I was reading "young adult fiction" until I remembered that the protagonist is about 12 and the story is told mostly in his voice. Despite the presence of aliens and alien technology, the story and characters are essentially human. Hoots, after all, might be replaced with almost any ruling class for comparisons to human history to become immediately clear. "The Mount," entertains, informs, and provokes thought all in one package. It's a tall order for a book to fill, but Emshwiller does it well here.

Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites, Second Edition
Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites, Second Edition
by Patrick J. Lynch
86 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource, August 4, 2002
Whether you're new to web design, an old hand, putting together a personal or hobbyist site, or charged with developing a website out of thin are for an employer or organization, this book is an essential resource. (Of course, you can read all the chapters on the affiliated website, but if you want to have a book to hold in your hand, this one's a good choice.) The authors go through the basic elements of site design, weaving in design theory along the way (in a way anyone can understand) and providing examples for the web design conventions they refer to. As a writer and editor, I've relied heavily on Strunk & White. Moving from print design into web design, I've looked for a resource that would serve to help me make the transition. This book fits the bill.

McAfee VirusScan 6.0
McAfee VirusScan 6.0

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth It, August 2, 2002
This review is from: McAfee VirusScan 6.0 (Digital)
I tried McAfee because it initially came installed on my computer, and when I got DSL I figured I needed protection. This product turned out not to be it. After upgrading to Windows XP problems started cropping up. For no apparent reason, my preferences, the programs I selected to access the internet all disappeared. The couldn't be restored. I had to uninstall the firewall, reinstall it and then update it. And even that wasn't always a solution or at least not a permanent one. The reviews I've read of internet security always recommend Norton Internet Security. After having yet another problem with McAfee, I uninstalled the entire thing and got Norton, which was immediately configured to allow me to get online without any problems.
My advice. Bypass McAfee. There are better systems out there