Profile for Jared Becksfort > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jared Becksfort RSS Feed

Learning PHP Design Patterns
Learning PHP Design Patterns
by William R. Sanders
Price: $29.19
57 used & new from $0.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, October 27, 2014
If you know anything about OOP and PHP, you do not need this book. If you do not know about them, I cannot imagine this is a good place to learn. The examples are fluff and barely highlight design pattern usage. You will probably be much better off just reading the design pattern articles on Wikipedia.

How to Think Like a Mathematician: A Companion to Undergraduate Mathematics
How to Think Like a Mathematician: A Companion to Undergraduate Mathematics
by Kevin Houston
Price: $32.56
64 used & new from $23.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me genuinely happy, August 7, 2014
This book is awesome. I went to school for engineering, and I have never understood what it took to make a complete proof. Any time I needed to "prove" something, I just tried to find counterexamples. If I couldn't, I figured it was probably true. This is obviously not particularly rigorous.

I figured it was time I learn (for no reason, really), and this helped a great deal. This book also has some topics I would have never thought to look up, such as how to analyze a proof, how to analyze a theorem, surjection, etc. I had no idea how important implications are in mathematical proofs. I had never heard of a contrapositive. I feel like I now have some insight into how pure math is done.

My only complaints: no solutions in the book (a few are online) and the binding is a little weak.

Gene Expression Studies Using Affymetrix Microarrays (Chapman & Hall/CRC Mathematical and Computational Biology)
by Hinrich Göhlmann
Price: $76.41
26 used & new from $66.10

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, January 23, 2012
This book is a good introduction to the terminology used when discussing Affymetrix microarray hardware, analysis, and visualization. It is a very high-level, hands-off approach to actually conduct microarray experiments, which I found disappointing. There is a 125 or so page chapter on data analysis, but very little data analysis was actually done. It consisted mostly of descriptions of techniques. Some of the descriptions were helpful, and others were not. None of the analysis was actually shown step by step in the book (except for about 4 pages in chapter 8 which were not particularly helpful). Some people may like that approach, but I definitely do not.

There is a HUGE downside: the website that contains all the code no longer exists. So, I guess separating the code from the text wasn't such a great idea. I asked one of the authors, and he said that they lost it to a cybersquatter (are you kidding me?). He also said that most of the code has been integrated into the Bioconductor package a4. I don't know how well the documentation of a4 corresponds to the book. I have my doubts that it shows how to exactly generate each figure step by step from the book, which is what the Introduction says the website code could do and one of the main reasons I selected this book. Of course I can go look at the documentation for the a4 package and learn how to use it for microarray analysis, but that is...you know...kind of why I bought the book in the first place. Maybe there are legal reasons that prevent them from doing so, but I can't help but wonder why one of the authors doesn't just post the code on his own website.

The English is a little awkward, but it is understandable.

Something I did like about it is that after discussing a few techniques, the authors would give their recommendation for which one to use or how to use them together. The bibliography is also pretty thorough and cited heavily throughout the text.

It took me a couple of weeks to read it. Overall, I do not consider it to have been a waste of time, but I probably could have done better. Colleagues of mine have recommended "Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Solutions Using R and Bioconductor" and "Statistical Analysis of Gene Expression Microarray Data". Those books are a bit older, which was one of the reasons I selected this one first.

Introduction to WinBUGS for Ecologists: Bayesian approach to regression, ANOVA, mixed models and related analyses
by Marc Kery
Price: $42.37
39 used & new from $42.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical, December 16, 2010
This is a great book for using WinBUGS through R with the R library R2WinBUGS. It is actually also a pretty good book for performing classical linear modeling in R. All the analyses are performed in both R and WinBUGS. Much of the data is simulated but realistic, and the author shows you how he generated the data, which is also useful. Solutions to the exercises are available at the book's web site.

There is no reason to be an ecologist to use this book. The examples translate very well to other fields.

Despite this book being very useful to me, I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars for a few reasons. Very little attempt is made to explain the theory (to be fair, he says this at the outset, and it is a book about WinBUGS, not Bayesian statistics). The expected understanding of statistics and R is somewhat uneven throughout. For example, the author in one chapter shows you how to load libraries in R and other basic housekeeping tasks, but a few chapters later he shows more advanced model specification code in R's lm function without explaining it. Expect to spend some time in the R manual if you want to understand it all. Similarly, he repeatedly says that much of the statistics behind the code is too advanced for most ecologists, which might annoy me if I were an ecologist, but then he tends to assume a lot of the theoretical statistics is already well understood by the reader.

There is a quick introduction to Generalized Linear Models which I found helpful. Basically, this is a great practical book but you will need to look elsewhere for mathematical understanding. I like Peter Hoff's "A First Course in Bayesian Statistical Methods."

A First Course in Bayesian Statistical Methods (Springer Texts in Statistics)
A First Course in Bayesian Statistical Methods (Springer Texts in Statistics)
by Peter D. Hoff
Price: $47.33
52 used & new from $40.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Introduction, December 16, 2010
I used this book to learn about Bayesian statistics on my own, and I was able to successfully perform Bayesian analyses at work afterward. I really had very little idea of what Bayesian statistics was (or is? I am not an English major) before reading it, but I feel I have a good understanding of its basics now. The book is strongly mathematical, and it has helped me understand statistical papers from JASA. It should definitely not be your first statistics book.

Some criticisms: there are some good examples, but not as many as I would have liked. The exercises in the back of the book do not have solutions available, to my knowledge. Some well-known topics such as Jeffrey's priors are only discussed in the exercises.

The title of the book sells itself short a bit. R is used heavily from about the 3rd chapter onward. There is a ton of R code available at the author's website, much of which is not shown in the book. A pleasant surprise to me was that all the code used to generate every figure from the book in PDF form is available at the web site too. I learned a lot about graphical programming in R by going through it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2010 7:04 AM PST

Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar
Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar
by Gilda Nissenberg
119 used & new from $0.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Spanish Grammar Book By Far, January 22, 2010
This is without a doubt the best Spanish grammar book I have used and at a very low price. It assumes some previous exposure to Spanish either through introductory books or maybe a class or two. I had some Spanish in high school 9 years prior to reading this book and listened to 8 audio CDs from a so-so program and that was all I needed to get started with this book. I went from having a weak understanding of grammar to knowing it pretty well after I worked through the book. I have gone through it more than once over the years (suggestion: don't write your answers in the book, use sheets of paper), and still use it to this day.

I did not notice many errors in the book as some of the other reviewers mentioned, but I did notice that the answers in the back of the book sometimes use different words than were taught in the lessons in which the questions are asked. Those answers are still correct, and it does not occur too frequently.

Primer of Biostatistics: Sixth Edition (Primer of Biostatistics (Glantz)(Paperback))
by Stanton Glantz
42 used & new from $4.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 16, 2009
This is a great book. I went from knowing very little about statistics to being able to understand the statistics of research papers very quickly. I have seen a lot of complaints about errors, but I have not found many in the newest edition and printing that Amazon is currently selling.