Profile for W. Burnham > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Burnham RSS Feed

Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS, Touch Screen, 2 MP Camera and Wi-Fi - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Cheap Phone for Traveling Abroad, April 16, 2013
I bought this phone to use when traveling in Europe or Asia. Using an unlocked GSM phone allows me to use a local carrier in each country and avoid the ridiculously expensive international data/voice roaming charged by US carriers. At only $55, it can quickly pay for itself vs. international roaming charges.

I have used this phone in several countries in Europe without an issue. To use it I just bought a SIM from a local wireless carrier and put some money in my account (usually $20-$30 was enough to get a 500mb-1GB of data and more voice minutes than I could use). In Europe I was able to get HSPA data rates in some places and voice quality was excellent.

In the US, I picked up a SIM from T-Mobile and have signed up for the "daily use" plan where you pay $5/day but only if you use the phone. This effectively makes the phone a great emergency phone or a good loaner phone for a visitor as you only pay for the day that you use it.

The phone itself is a pretty basic smartphone. Palm, the company that made it, is effectively out of business so there is no support available and the software is no longer being updated. That said, it's pretty easy to learn how to use everything and in my experience the phone has been very stable and reliable.

I would not recommend this phone as a primary phone for heavy/daily use. It's not that fast and the battery will wear out by the end of the day if you use a lot of data.

The positives of this phone:

- Very cheap for an unlocked GSM smartphone
- Very good email client that syncs email with MS Exchange (mail/contacts/calendar), GMail, Yahoo, etc.
- Nice keyboard for inputting texts and email

The negatives:
- You have to activate the phone before using it and that can be a bit of a pain in the neck if you don't already have an account with a GSM carrier (AT&T or T-Mobile). Make sure to do this before you take it overseas.
- The Palm OS has very few apps for it outside of the basic ones. If you require access to mobile apps when you travel, this is not the travel phone for you.
- No Google Maps or for that matter any mapping application at all (outside of web browser). This is the one app that would be really nice to have when traveling abroad.

Bosch DLR130K Digital Distance Measurer Kit
Bosch DLR130K Digital Distance Measurer Kit
Price: $89.00
13 used & new from $74.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, lightweight, well built, reliable and, dare I say, fun to use!, February 8, 2011
Before I got the Bosch DLR130K I wondered to myself, "Do I really need a laser measure, my tape measure works fine". A few months, and many measurements later, I can definitely say, yes, I do need a laser measure and this particular one is outstanding.

Key benefits of a laser measure:

1. A single person can take measurements, especially long measurements, very quickly and accurately.

2. You can take measurements that are difficult if not impossible to do with a traditional tape measure, such as measuring the height of high ceiling or a long diagonal.

3. No more extending and contracting a tape measure. No more kinks or bending. No more trying to figure out if the small line the 16th or 8th of an inch.

Downsides:
1. You can't measure the linear distance of a non-square shape such as the circumference of circle or arch or the actual length of wire needed to transverse an irregular surface, such as a crawl space. (You can do this with most traditional metal tape measures either (only the flexible vinyl ones).

As for this specific unit, some of it's positives include:

1. Lightweight, compact and well built. In fact it is smaller and lighter than my old tape measure and that could only measure 20 feet. The unit is constructed of high impact plastic and rubberized grips on the side. Very solid, but still lightweight.

2. It's reliable. I have to admit, I was skeptical that it would be as reliable as a tape measure. I had one of the sound-based units awhile back and that was very unreliable and generally a waste of money. This unit not only provides accurate measurements (I tested it against my tape measure with about 10 different measurements, then got tired because the tape measure takes so long to set up...) but it also provides measurements off all kinds of surfaces. Wood, stucco, drywall, nylon, paper, even mirrors all returned accurate measurements.

3. It's fast. Point, push the button and you have your measurement.

Two main negatives:

1. As others have pointed out, due to the rubberized grip on the sides, the unit is not square when laid on its side or its back/front, which means you have to tilt the unit slightly to get what you guessestimate is a level line. That said, the bottom of the unit (opposite side of the laser) is flat/square and you can use that for many measurements (wall to wall, wall to ceiling, etc.).

2. It can display measurements you take in feet/inches, but if you store those measurements in memory the inches are "decimalized" which isn't a huge deal, but it's a weird oversight.

Overall, I would highly recommend this unit. If you are looking to make the switch from a traditional tape measure to laser, don't hesitate, this unit is reliable, well built and worth the money as it should last forever, unlike my tape measures which seemed to fail or get some kind of permanent kink in them every few years.

Official Celio Corp Listing. The Redfly Smartphone Terminal Is a Terminal for Windows Mobile Phones. Easily Use Your Smartphone Email, Attachments, Web Browser and Remote Access. Connects Via Bluetooth or USB (Charges Most Phones), 8 Hour Battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Redfly + RDP = Mobile Heaven, November 1, 2008
I have been using my Redfly for a few days now and it a great companion to my Treo 700wx. With the Redfly I can leave my laptop at home and travel a lot lighter.

The biggest bonus though is combining the Redfly with RDP. Now I can access my PC desktop remotely and have enough screen real estate to actually get something done. A huge bonus is the ability to use my desktop's browser to surf the web. It ends up being much faster to use my desktop's browser via RDP than to use Opera or IE on my phone. In addition, I don't have to worry about site compatibility or performance issues because the desktop browser does all the rendering. Not to mention that the Redfly's screen is wide enough that with most sites I don't have to do any horizontal scrolling. I have noticed some performance issues if ActiveSync and RDP are running at the same time though so if your phone has a weak processor this might not work.

The only major criticism I would have is that they should make it about an inch or two wider so that they can make the keyboard bigger. You get used to the keyboard but I find I have to type a lot slower to maintain accuracy. Still faster than thumbing it with my Treo, but a bigger keyboard would be nice.

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
by Marcus Luttrell
Price: $17.02
172 used & new from $0.84

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Portrait of Bravery, Sacrifice & Survival, June 20, 2007
This book is a compelling, easy read that you will find hard to put down. The first part takes you through SEAL training in Coronado, CA and gives you a deep appreciation for just how hard it is to become a SEAL, while the second half takes you through a harrowing battle that in many ways validates just why the SEAL selection and training process is so difficult and so effective.

The battle sequence in Afghanistan and its aftermath is incredibly intense . The best screen writer in Hollywood couldn't have dreamt up something more intense, moving, and awe inspiring. If they make it into a movie it will in some ways be like a Afghani inspired version of Full Metal Jacket.

Reading this fills one with humility and gratitude for the sacrifice that all the members of our armed services make on our behalf, but especially for the men of the SEAL teams. All I can say is that I am very glad they are on our side.

As an aside, if you enjoy books like this you should check out Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab, an SAS operative who served in the first Iraq war. I found it highly ironic that in both cases great misfortune results from acts of human mercy that elite soldiers felt compelled to take despite the clear risk it posed to their own lives. These books should be required reading for anyone who questions the character and moral fiber of such brave men.
Comment Comments (20) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2014 7:09 AM PDT