Profile for R.B. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R.B. "slee_stack1" RSS Feed (South)

Wide Angle Lens for MagicShine, Gemini, and many other Bike Lights / Headlight. Includes O-Ring
Offered by Action LED Lights
Price: $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternate lens, November 16, 2011
Very inexpensive lens. Stretches the hotspot left to right (in its intended config). Ideally suited to use on a bar mount light in conjunction with a spotlight (std lens) helmet light. Fits my generic ebay light as well as my Magicshine 808E.

I don't have any idea about durability or efficiency loss but it suits my night riding needs perfectly.

ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi N Router- Retail Packaging (570763-006-00)
Price: $105.47
93 used & new from $69.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the timid or uninformed, November 15, 2010
The SBG6580 can actually be a niece all-in-one device if you have the patience and know-how to get it configured right.

First off, there is a feature called 'IP Flood Detection' that needs to be disabled. (It is located under the Firewall page) By default, it is turned ON. When ON, this feature eventually causes everything to slow to a crawl. Turn it OFF (uncheck box) and you will never go slow again. This is certainly a failing on Motorola's part to default a poor-functioning feature ON in the first place.

I would agree that Motorola's interface is clunky in general. It is pretty powerful too and advanced users will be able to do most of what they want with it.

My carrier is Comcast and I enjoy real-word DL speeds of up to 4MBps (32mbps). Admittedly, with many of my apps, I'm actually around 3MBps, which is plenty fast for me. I have (2) hardwired PCs, (1) hardwired printer, (1) wireless laptop, (1) wireless printer, and (3) other hardwired devices on my network.

I do experience a random 'reset' of the modem on occasion. I have yet to track down what is causing it. I can't blame the hardware (yet) but it occurs with such irregularity (sometimes not for 5 days or more)

It isn't a perfect modem/gateway, but it is capable, if a touch user unfriendly.
Comment Comments (30) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2014 8:49 PM PST

The Fall of Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
by Dan Simmons
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
196 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Science Fiction Novels of all time, July 26, 2010
My review is for the combined 'Hyperion' and 'Fall of Hyperion' novels. One cannot be read without the other and in correct order.

While I have ranked these 5 stars, I do not think they are perfect. However, I have read very few similar genre books that I would rate higher. My favorite is still Asimov's Foundation series.

Admittedly, Dan Simmons' story probably approaches the limit of my understanding and enjoyment. I have never enjoyed classical poetry and struggle in its interpretation. Fortunately for me, the interjection here and there amount to a relatively tiny portion of the written text.

Portions of 'the Fall' can feel rushed and disjointed when directly compared against 'Hyperion'. The change in writing style evidently has turned a small group of readers off. It had no such effect on me. While I preferred the 'flow' of the first book, the second book was nearly as enjoyable and it conveyed the climax of the story in a well-written manner. The payoff is plenty deep and there are also plenty of questions/threads yet to be addressed...presumably by the Endymion series.

There are a few points that can be nitpicked and (minor) explanations that may be dissatisfying, but these are miniscule in the grand scheme. Every book I have read has had imperfections and I reiterate that the Hyperion Cantos are superior to the majority.

To me, these are a must-read for any science fiction fan
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2011 11:56 PM PST

Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit
Gigabit Powerline HD Starter Kit
11 used & new from $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, March 7, 2010
I tried replacing a set of Panasonic BL-PA100 (100Mbps) with these supposed 1Gbps units.

The old ones had typical transfer rates anywhere from 600KBps to 2.5MBps.

These new ones are typically 1.5MBps to 2.5MBps.

Overall, my average speed is up from 1.5 to 2.0MBps, but ZERO increase in max speed.

Shouldn't a product that is advertised as 10X faster theoretical, perform 10X faster than the Panasonic's theoretical??

I understood I wasn't going to get close to 1.0Gbps (125MBps). But I did expect to get at least 10MBps. That's over 10X LESS the marketed rate! And yet it still couldn't do it.

I upgraded to the latest firmware and the units show solid blue transfer lights on both ends indicating >200Mbps, yet transfer speed is a whopping 17Mbps!!!! What is up with that?? It's a flat lie. The lights are obviously a bad joke.

Basically, you can buy the cheapest set of powerline adapters and get the same rate.

Needless to say, they are being returned. Save money and buy a LESS overhyped transfer speed set.

BISSELL PROdry Fast-Drying Carpet Cleaner, 7350
BISSELL PROdry Fast-Drying Carpet Cleaner, 7350

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much useless, July 11, 2009
Couldn't even find a niche use for it. Area rug cleaning was weak at best. Stair attachment is good at splattering liquid around, but little else. In spite of finding it on sale for 1/3 of retail, it still isn't worth the cost. Honestly, it created more work cleaning up splattered liquid. Terrible product.

Signs of Life
Signs of Life
3 used & new from $47.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Finns! So why can't we get this in the US?, September 2, 2006
This review is from: Signs of Life (Audio CD)
A breath of fresh air amongst the flat, uninspiring 'music' that gets heaped atop all of us these days. Poets of the Fall (PotF) serves up an epic mix of anthem ballads and serious

melodies. But it's all good in the the kind of way one can enjoy Money followed by a dose of Comfortably Numb.

I hear influence of Depeche Mode, Collective Soul, REM, James, and Toad the Wet Sprocket, to name a few. One thing that stands out with Poets, are the lyrics. For the most part, they are smart and well thought-out. They also tend to repeat much less than your average So on to the tracks:

1 - Lift - one of the two singles released from 'Signs', this is my less favorite tracks. It's a reasonably good, upbeat, catchy tune, but it just never really peaks. Not bad, just not

great.

2 - Overboard - this is the tune I would have picked over 'Lift' as a single. Similar to 'Lift' in tempo and energy, 'Overboard' has that extra oomf - a catchier chorus, cooler rhythym

guitar, just a better tune. This is a song to turn up, roll the windows down, and sing along with while cruizin on a nice summer day.

3 - Late Goodbye - The other single and my first taste of PotF. An instant, mesmorizing classic, 'Late Goodbye' spurned my search for who this band was. At the time (2 years ago), there

was not much info on Poets and I sort of gave up there. Recently, my interest repeaked, and lo-and-behold, two albums! 'Late Goodbye' starts with an eerie feeling melodic acoustical guitar

and equally mournful voals. It's a dark song which picks up steam on each verse until some epic 80's hair-band crescendos in the bridge. It will make you smile. I know I always do! One of

the best on the album, no doubt.

4 - Don't Mess With Me - Funny, when this song starts, I always have the urge to skip tracks. I'm not a crazy, highspeed metal fan and this song just jumps and goes from the first second.

However, give it about 25 seconds and it turns mellow pretty starkly. That will only last for about the same time and it's back to harsh guitar. And that's the gist of the song: back and

forth, slow, fast, slow fast. All of a sudden you realize that the heavy guitar chorus is really fun and without realizing it, the song's done and you didn't skip the track!

5 - 3AM - Starts with a croon. This is where the album starts to settle in and mellow. It's a song about late night, or rather early morning, and it fits. This tune is one you might

expect to hear yourself at that hour. Mostly acoustical rhythem with a steady dirty electric following along in the back. And the crooning. Solid, if not high energy. Switch gears and

enjoy it.

6 - Stay - The first time I heard 'Stay', I thought it was pretty average. After about 8-10 listens, this track is one of my favorites right along with 'Late Goodbye'. It is not an epic song. It does not build up. It's relaxed and keyed. It just flows, and the vocals really carry this one right along. Fantastic!

7 - Seek You Out - Has a Barenaked Ladies feel, but plays back and forth with an ethereal vibe. One of my less favorites but respectable nonetheless.

8 - Shallow - A steady acoustical rhythem morphs into a steady, floating Edge(U2)-like guitar chorus. A par-for-the album tune.

9 - Everything Fades - A tenative keyboard reverb flips with a powerchord chorus. Throw in some funky bass, and this generally high energy tune keeps up until it's 3 minute fading point. Anothe par tune.

10 - Someone Special - This is the token 'chick' song. I don't mean that in a necessarily bad way. It's got great meody, some nice simple piano, good vocals, and a steady build. It's really just the lyrical choice, the title in the chorus, and some in the bridge that make be just go 'aack'. But then again you can sell it to your girlfriend. Good music, iffy lyrics.

11 - Illusion and Dream - This may be blashpemous, but a portion of this song sounds like a country-pop crossover, and I really, really don't like country-pop crossover. However, the majority of the song does not suffer from this. There's some good power chords, marching drum, quiet reverb, and a song-ending minute-or so fade out of haunting floyd-like guitar (though please don't expect David Gilmour).

12 - Sleep - Light Piano and dreamy, warning vocals. A great, slow album closer which has a steady build up of it's own.

Signs of Life is a fantastic freshman album. It offers proof that there really are good bands out there that waiting to be discovered. It is an absolute sin that this album cannot be purchased here in the states. I do hold hope that in a year or two, Poets of the Fall will make their way across the ocean so us sadly lacking american music fans have something to cheer for.

Poets of the Fall released their second album 'Carnival of Rust' a few months ago. I will try to review that soon since their sophmore effort which is a more finely tuned and polished version of 'Signs' with more potential 'hits'.

Magellan RoadMate 300 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator
Magellan RoadMate 300 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Navigator
10 used & new from $19.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Good luck setting it up, December 11, 2005
Wasted over three hours trying to get it to work. Out of the box, it had no detailed maps for anything. I spent 2 hours 'uploading' maps onto an SD card which you have to 'authorize' first. How can anything take TWO HOURS to transfer to an SD card?!? The supplied software is remarkably bad. Anyway, after all that, the unit refused to initialize maps and would only beep obnoxiously anytime a button was pressed. 'Turn it on and go' is their slogan. Turn it on and go where? Back to the store to return it.

Painkiller - PC
Painkiller - PC
Offered by BLS Mart
Price: $11.99
48 used & new from $0.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Gets old fast, May 16, 2004
This review is from: Painkiller - PC (Video Game)
Admittedly interesting up front, after playing for even 20 minutes had me yawning.
Each fight is remarkably identical. Yes, the enemies are different looking, but it's the same door closing behind you and same 2-3 dozen monsters sailing in on you from all sides. The truly most annoying part of it is the exact SAME heavy metal music that plays during EVERY SINGLE skirmish. I mean, come on, is it too hard to have a few different tunes?!
The graphics are average at best. Games like Max Payne 2 and FarCry leave this one in a much lesser league. The physics of Painkiller are touted in many reviews, but they are remarkably basic when compared to a top-notch engine like in FarCry.
Weapons are unique looking and functionally interesting but don't do enough to help the game out.
Controls are limited (no crouching, lying prone, etc.). There really is no 'use' function or any cerebral challenges to figure out. The game leads you in a single direction and it gets remarkably boring and repetitive fast.
There are plenty of FPS games that blow this one out of the water. Several years ago, I may have been impressed with the visuals, but I still would have found the game dull to play. Borrow a copy to try out. I personally do not think it's worth even $10.