Profile for Skye Ridley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Skye Ridley "Skye Ridley" RSS Feed (Salida, CO United States)

Firefly: The Complete Series
Firefly: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Nathan Fillion
Price: $14.99
51 used & new from $5.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun show... any recommendations for a better one?, January 7, 2005
This review is from: Firefly: The Complete Series (DVD)
I enjoyed the shows a lot, but I certainly didn't expect "Firefly" to be real science fiction. It reminded me of some of the humorous episodes of Star Trek. We certainly didn't demand that Star Trek be excellent, just that it be entertaining. "Earth II" has been the only sci-fi television show that I've seen that really explored possibilities in a mostly intelligent fashion.

Speaking of which, I wish there WERE some really GOOD sci-fi TV shows... if anyone can recommend such, I would be grateful!

Uncertain Voyage
Uncertain Voyage
by Dorothy Gilman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
209 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and engaging, October 19, 2004
Those who gave this book a bad review are unfairly comparing it to Gilman's other books. Give her a break! This book is a completely different genre and should only be evaluated in that context. I considered it one of those rare stories that is sweet and insipiring without being corny or insipid. Anyone who has struggled inwardly with self-esteem or has had some trepidation about travelling alone (and come on, folks, isn't that somewhat true of all of us?) will find this an engaging read.

The Catwings Collection (4 Volume Set)
The Catwings Collection (4 Volume Set)
by Ursula K. Le Guin
22 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet, thoughtful, and inexpensive gift for kids or adults, July 30, 2004
These are the sweetest, most wonderful books around. I first discovered and fell in love with them when I was around 40, and have kept copies ever since, although I often give them away and have to buy more. I'm 50 now, and I've given the Catwings books as gifts to just as many animal-lover adults as children. They ALL adore the stories.

I find it gratifying that the publisher (or LeGuin?) has kept the price so low. These stories could have been printed in a large, hardback expensive format, and everyone who loves them would have still purchased them. But someone made the very kind decision to keep the price down so that more readers could enjoy, and I appreciate that.

One caveat: parts of the stories might be a little sad or upsetting to very young children...in a "Velveteen Rabbit" sort of way (I cried a little the first time I read the first 2 books)

Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner
Epson Perfection 1670 Photo Scanner
6 used & new from $24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine for me, April 27, 2004
I do PR and marketing for a small hospital and have ended up scanning a lot more than I would have thought. I've used the 1670 for a couple of months now. It was easy to set up and quick to use; it scans quickly; the color is great. The OCR software that came with it works GREAT.
The scanning software seems easy to use, altho I admit I use Photoshop for making any changes to photos or graphics, so I can't comment on whether the photo manipulation software works well.
one of 2 quibbles: the scans all come out 1 or 2 degrees tilted, even if I've lined up the original against the side of the glass; is this normal for scanners? (...) .
2nd quibble: I sent in my rebate coupon the day I received the scanner, but I haven't received my rebate yet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2010 5:01 AM PST

Art Explosion 600,000 Images [Old Version]
Art Explosion 600,000 Images [Old Version]
10 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, April 13, 2004
I agree with most of the other reviewers; this package is inexpensive for all you get, and the quality of the images is good. I'm using it with Windows XP Professional and have had NO problems with the interface between the operating system and the software. It installed quicky and easily.
I did have a problem with one of the disks originally, but Nova came through with great customer service. Now I'm a customer for life.