Profile for S. P. Smith > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. P. Smith RSS Feed (Fly-over land (that much closer to sanity))

Technology Review
Technology Review
Price: $1.25
2 used & new from $1.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle DX text to voice, September 6, 2009
This review is from: Technology Review (Kindle Edition)
I drive quite a bit and so I use the text to voice option in order to keep up on my "reading". Granted, when the rare occasion presents itself, I prefer to actually read. But, like most, I'm very busy. This is one of the main reasons I purchased the Kindle and I'm so glad I did. While it isn't perfect, it is good enough that I get what I need.

That having been said; I know this isn't a review of text to voice, but it plays into my review of the Kindle version of Technology Review. The magazine itself is very good, but not great. The articles are well written and informative. Often I find them to be a little to light on detail, however. I prefer for them to delve into a subject more, rather than provide what feels more like a briefing or synopsis. The editing does leave a little to be desired due to the random hyphen that causes the speech to mispronounce words in the most peculiar ways. It would seem that using a simple spell-check program when authoring the thing would only add a couple minutes to the editing process. If I were reading most anything else this might be easier to overlook. But, this is called Technology Review and is from MIT. Maybe not the best foot forward.

That having been said, I'll definetly be keeping my subscription. I'll just hope they put a little more review in future issues.