Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Kala > Reviews

Kala's Profile

Customer Reviews: 517

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kala RSS Feed (Ft Lauderdale, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Running Back
Running Back
Offered by Harlequin Digital Sales Corp.
Price: $2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Rush Me...., June 17, 2014
This review is from: Running Back (Kindle Edition)
I really liked Rush Me, so I was excited to read the second installment in the series (Running Back). Unfortunately this one just isn't as captivating. It starts off decent, but man does it drag in the middle. I found myself skimming. And skimming. And skimming some more. It gets slightly better at the end (I really liked the last couple chapters). HOWEVER, the epilogue was not needed. I'm trying to figure out a spoiler free way to explain why. I'll just say... I think the archaeology storyline kind of meshed with the romance storyline and both were tied up in a very satisfying way at the end. Then we get the epilogue, which is just too much and totally unnecessary considering how well the story ended.

Jane Austen Goes to Hollywood
Jane Austen Goes to Hollywood
Price: $6.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, completely terrible, June 17, 2014
I love this author! Her Dangerous Girls book (written under a different name) is 5-star phenominal.

But this book... wow. Just, wow. I couldn't even finish it.

DNF @ 50%

Sorry, but it was dull and I found myself skipping entire chapters just to try and slog through it. :(

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not GREAT, June 17, 2014
I read this to see what all the hype was about...

and it was okay.

I read it straight through in one sitting, so the plot was interesting and well paced. However, the dialogue was unrealistic and more than a little pretentious. It wasn't as bad a the Nick&Norah/Dash&Lily books, but pretty close. Kids don't talk like that. Not to say teenagers aren't intelligent, or that they can't have real conversation, but they don't speak in the long, all-too-perfect monologues that littered this book.

Bottom line: IN MY OPINION it was worth reading and I liked it, but it wasn't anything special.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Book 1)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off so strong, but loses steam, June 17, 2014
2.5 stars, rounding up to 3 because it started off so strong!

Unfortunately, it didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. It also didn't live up to the blurb, or the creepy awesome pictures.

My main issues with the book:

* The blurb makes it sound like the peculiar children are possibly dangerous/evil, but this is proved false very early on.

* The pictures are great, but the author really just kind of stuck them in there. "And then my grandpa showed me a creepy picture of a girl who could levitate. Here it is: (insert picture)" Don't get me started on the letter Miss Peregrine wrote to the grandpa, where she included a snapshot. Seemed completely out of character for her to do such a thing!

* The plot spirals out of control about 2/3 of the way through. The beginning of this book is amazing. I was hooked by the prologue and first few chapters. But as it continued, it got worse and worse. By the end, I was just hoping it would be over soon.

* The author spends a lot of time making us hate the lead character. We're constantly reminded of how he's weak and pathetic, how awful his life is (man, it sucks having super rich parents who are never around to bother you), etc. I'm having a hard time seeing what Emma sees in him... except...

* The whole Emma/Jacob relationship. I'm sorry, but it's bizarre. I understand that Emma is trapped in this time loop, but he's still the grandson of her boyfriend and that's just weird.

* Finally, the bad guys. They were scary-ish in the beginning. Then they just became stereotypical and annoying. I also don't understand why wights can go through time loops, but hollows can't. Why? Just because?

I might check out #2 in this series, but I'm not in a rush. I'm glad I got this from the library (hard copy on this one seems better than e-book version due to the pictures)!

Panacea Products 89731 4-Panel Tomato and Plant Support Tower, Dark Green (Pack of 3)
Price: $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial order wrong, but Amazon CS made it right, April 25, 2014
I ordered two sets of these cages, one set in green and another set in red. The red set of three arrived first and all three were in the box. One of the cages was a little warped though, to my dismay. The green set arrived the next day and I was upset to see there was only one cage in the box instead of three!

Fortunately, Amazon customer service is great. I contacted them and immediately they shipped me another set of three which arrived in two days and was in perfect condition.

The cages themselves are VERY nice for the price! They're much taller and sturdier than the round three-ring counterparts commonly sold at the major home improvement stores. I'm using them on my Better Boy tomatoes right now, and they're holding up quite well.

I haven't needed to store them yet, but the cages do fold up neatly and stack well. The metal bars are a little bit flimsier than I'd like (I can easily bend them with my hands), but with careful installation and care you can't get better for this price!

Troy High
Troy High
Price: $5.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best adaptation, April 25, 2014
This review is from: Troy High (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book up on a whim from the library and while it was a quick and easy read, it just wasn't very good. The basis for the story is a retelling of the Trojan War set in a high school theme (warring football teams pranking each other, etc).

The problem is that the characters are just dull and unlikable. Our narrator is Cassie (aka Cassandra the prophet) who is nothing like her Iliad counterpart. This book isn't paranormal, so obviously she can't be a prophet, but there's also nothing alluding to her back story (the whole 'cursed by Apollo' thing, nothing). She's basically a really rude antisocial band geek that suddenly gets a lot of friends out of nowhere.

Elena (aka Helen) recently transferred from Lacede High (the Spartans) to Troy High (the Trojans). She's super hot and a cheerleader and wants to date Cassie's super hot football playing brother (Perry - aka Paris). Unfortunately she's dating Lucas Mennon (aka Menelaus abandoned husband of Helen). She uses Cassie to get hooked up with Perry, then dumps Lucas.

The plot thickens though, because Lucas' brother (Greg Mennon, aka Agamemnon) is "best friends" with Cassie (and they're also in love).

They don't act like best friends though. Each does horrible things to the other as "pranks" between the schools. Cassie keeps saying she wants to be neutral, but then she lets herself get dragged in to everything. She's weak willed and not a very good friend.

Greg isn't any better. He's far more involved in the school pranking than Cassie and even towards the end, after Cassie's brother is hurt badly in a football game, is involved in a big Trojan Horse prank (where the horse is supposed to explode and ruin the Homecoming dance). This happens when he's at the dance with Cassie, knowing that he did something to help ruin it for her.

No one really learns from their bad actions/mistakes though. Everything is glossed over in last minute apologies that don't really ring true. The feud ends when the Spartan football players purposely (and seriously) injure Cassie's other brother (Hunter - aka Hector) in the football game, possibly ruining his college football scholarship. The Spartans then explode the Trojan Horse inside of the school dance, setting the school on fire and ruining the dance (this explosion includes a big SPARTANS WIN sign as well). And that's the end.

I realize it's a retelling of the Trojan War, which didn't really end that well for the Trojans. But it's also a teen novel. When the bad guys get away with a bunch of heinous stuff (to be fair, the good guys do too) without any repercussions, it's a difficult pill to swallow. We're force fed it though and apparently we're supposed to be okay with it because Greg and Cassie kiss and become a happy couple in the end which makes everything okay?

Not really.

Just One Wish
Just One Wish

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad... worth a read!, March 27, 2014
This review is from: Just One Wish (Kindle Edition)
I like the concept of this book a LOT. Like I've said before, I love the celebrity/normal person trope in YA books. I loved the idea of this girl trying to persuade her brother's celebrity hero to come see him to fulfill his (possibly about to die) wish.

It all started off good. I like the zany road trip antics, the far-fetched, but humorous ways the lead character (Annika) and her best friend attempt to get close to the celebrity hero (Steve), and I (mostly) like the female lead. She's cute, strong-willed, smart, and funny.

The romance though... it was forced. Annika somehow gets Steve to come back with her to her home town and they're stuck in a car together for four hours. They talk a little, then all of a sudden (out of NOWHERE), Steve's saying stuff like "You want to go to college in LA, right?" and they're kissing. There was almost no flirting/attraction leading up to this (other than Annika mentioning that Steve was hot once or twice). This was the weakest part of the novel BY FAR.

The best part was the Jeremy/Annika dynamic. She obviously loves her brother a lot and the entire plotline of her coming to terms with her brother's possible death was beautifully done. The ending is a little bittersweet, but it leaves you with a smile. These two siblings are awesome and while the book floundered on the romance, this author totally nailed it on the sibling relationship.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Collector's Edition
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $69.99
48 used & new from $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All the best parts of Diablo 3, none of the bad!, March 27, 2014
I loved Diablo 3... until about two months in where I got sick of grinding for no reward. I hated playing the auction house and I hated grinding the same content over and over and over for drops that were useless to me. I'm not one of those uber players who was clearing inferno immediately either, I'm just a normal, average player. So, after two months I quit playing.

Since I'm a Blizzard fangirl, of course I picked up this expansion (and of course I got the collector's edition!).

Obviously I haven't had months to play it, but I really feel the improvements. I cleared the new story content quickly (which took me from level 60 to 66). After you finish the storyline, you're introduced to bounties and nephalem rifts as well as the upgraded map system which makes it really easy to find things to do.

I also noticed a huge improvement in the usefulness and amount of drops. I'm not swimming in legendaries, but I'm seeing a reasonable amount of them drop and seeing a reasonable amount of usefulness from them. I'm also loving that the auction house is GONE. Crafting (especially for my lower level characters) has become MUCH more useful. I don't think I used it much during the original release of Diablo 3 at all, due to much better items being on the auction house for less money.

I'm loving the addition of the mystic, though I'm not having much luck with the RNG aspect (it often seems to give me identical options to the one I'm trying to replace). I could see this feature being very useful (and a huge gold sink) in the future.

My only real complaint would be that the new story content is very short. I know this is "just" an expansion, but the new story is only one act (compared to four acts in the original). It goes by VERY fast.

As far as collector's edition goodies - I'm enjoying them. Three hearthstone card packs was a nice little bonus, and I'm enjoying my new treasure goblin pet in World of Warcraft. The art book is amazing (as always) and I'm looking forward to checking out the behind the scenes footage.

Overall, great job on the expansion. Blizzard is my go-to company for high quality games and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Keep up the great work!!

Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy Book 2)
Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy Book 2)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $7.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of this sequel, March 27, 2014
So much ridiculousness in this book - I don't even know where to begin.

Emma is a teenager and in high school. She goes to class once randomly in the middle of the book. Then at the end she goes to prom. The entire rest of the book she's missing school and it's NEVER MENTIONED. Like... if prom was so important, you'd think she would talk about it. Or think about it. Or something. You'd also think the school would be making a big deal out of the fact that she's NEVER THERE.

The Syrena/hostile takeover part of the storyline is slightly more interesting, but no less ridiculous. Our villain is a horribly written cackling "evil" mess. His plan is so stupid and the way it all plays out is just beyond silly. There's a big tribunal where he claims Nalia (Emma's mom) is not really Nalia, despite the KING (her FATHER) saying that's his daughter. Despite multiple "trackers" saying that YES that's who she is. Despite EVERYONE who knew her saying that's who she was. This incites a mob who literally "roar" every time the villain makes a ridiculous point. It's silly and dumb and the entire plot is so far-fetched.

Speaking of Emma's mom... first she chloroforms her daughter and kidnaps her, but ok. We kind of understand why. Then she's found and reintroduced to her lost love, Grom. From the minute she and Grom are reunited, they moon over each other and act like 14-year-olds in love. Then they basically disappear from the story except for a few lines here and there. But it's ok, Emma is 18, so she doesn't need a mom anymore (that's told to us in the story, not just something I made up).

While this book was an easy read, it was awful. The first one wasn't amazing, but it was at least "okay." Of Triton doesn't even meet that low standard. Don't waste your time!

Teen Idol
Teen Idol
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy, fun book - ending a little off, March 27, 2014
This review is from: Teen Idol (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book a lot...

(Spoilers in this very short review)

I really liked the main character (Jen). I liked how real she was. I liked how she changed and grew as a person during the story. I especially liked the whole plotline with her best friend Trina (who I hated at first, liked much more at the end).

I liked the Hollywood actor guy too (Luke). Originally I thought this was going to be a story where famous rich Hollywood guy falls for the plain Jane (a trope I love, but still). I was happy to see that it wasn't like that. I was happy to see him NOT fall for Jen.

The ending just ruined it. Where did the Geri/Luke relationship come from? When did he spend ANY time with her whatsoever? Geri also comes across as a bitch during a lot of the novel (she has a few redeeming moments here and there, but she just generally comes across as a 'not nice' person). I really feel the entire story would have been so much better if Luke had just been the character who spurs Jen in to making the needed changes in her life.

Still a 3-star book, but I was going to rate this one much higher until I read that part.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20