Profile for Horowitz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 202

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Horowitz RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack - Xbox One
Killer Instinct Combo Breaker Pack - Xbox One
21 used & new from $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Physical Release of This Awesome Game, September 24, 2014
As a sucker for physical media, I was really, realllly hoping that Killer Instinct would one day be released on disc, and that day is finally here!

First and foremost, this is just the Combo Breaker Pack as it states on the box, so you won't be getting the extra costumes, KI Classic, etc. with this. I kinda wish they would've put KI Classic on the disc and charged $10 more, but that ship has sailed.

What is here, however, is the great Killer Instinct reboot from Xbox One's launch in 2013. You'll receive all of the content that the Combo Breaker Pack would net you if you were to purchase it digitally, but now you get to have it on a disc for those of us who like to collect games or just have physical media. Since I own every Killer Instinct on physical media, I was happy to buy this one (purchased from Best Buy).

If you already have the game digitally, don't care about having it on a disc, and don't care for having TJ Combo in the Season 1 game, then you should probably pass on this. Now if you haven't played this game yet, what in the world are you waiting for? This is one of the better fighters out there. It's $20. Just do it. And if you like it a lot, Season Two can be played digitally on the Xbox One, or you could wait for it to get a physical release.

Anyways, this game is fantastic, and I wholeheartedly recommend playing it.

Risen 3: Titan Lords - PlayStation 3
Risen 3: Titan Lords - PlayStation 3
Offered by Purple Hydrant Games
Price: $35.99
37 used & new from $30.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Risen Yet; Pay No Mind to the Naysayers, August 13, 2014
Risen 3: Titan Lords is the latest release in the Risen series developed by Piranha Bytes, a spiritual successor to their Gothic series of games. Risen and Risen 2 were both enjoyable RPG offerings, both packed with a ton of content and a lot of depth for RPG purists to sink their teeth into, and Risen 3: Titan Lords is no different.

Actually, this game is everything that Risen is all about, so fans of both Risen and Gothic should be pleased, but now it's even better because the combat is vastly superior to the other two, now offering a roll mechanic which means you no longer have to stand around in combat and wait for the enemy to attack you. The combat is more fluid and makes for a better gameplay experience.

As for graphics, it's not going to blow your socks off. This is a small studio that makes these games, so they don't have an EA or Bethesda budget to work with. These are dated graphics, but they also look very nice at times. The most important aspect in Risen games is the attention to detail. While Piranha Bytes doesn't have the big studio or big budget to make graphics like the big boys and girls of the gaming world, they do create hand-crafted worlds chock full of little details, and nothing is essentially copy & pasted. It's all designed with love by the small team, allowing for worlds that feel alive, full of ambient and immersive settings.

If you need cutting edge graphics, can't deal with rough edges, then this game is NOT for you. However, if you are a person who enjoys games for depth, immersion, role-play mechanics, etc., then this IS a game for you.

Like I said, it's rough around the edges, but a 5/5 means "I Love It," and that's exactly how I feel about Risen 3: Titan Lords. Shallow people who only play it for 20 minutes and go, "OMG, crap graphics," simply won't get it, but those of us who aren't knee-jerk people who can appreciate more to our games, certainly will.

Disclosure: Xbox 360 version played; may have small differences on other platforms.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2014 4:46 AM PDT

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Xbox 360
Risen 3: Titan Lords - Xbox 360
Offered by RushHourWholesalers
Price: $35.99
29 used & new from $30.59

Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2014 1:11 PM PDT

The Last of Us Remastered - PlayStation 4
The Last of Us Remastered - PlayStation 4
Price: $40.12
63 used & new from $25.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Game Plagued w/ Some Technical Issues, July 31, 2014
The Last of Us is hands down one of the most important game releases alongside other classics of the last decade such as Half-Life 2 and Bioshock. We all know how good it is and there's no need for me to give a lengthy review of a game that everyone should play no matter if you own a PS3, PS4, or both. That said, this remaster has some pros and cons.

Pros:
- Native 1080p
- 60 frames-per-second
- One of the greatest games

Cons:
- There's some weird gamma issue with darker areas in the game, making some of the most fantastic looking levels in TLOU look washed out.
- There are some smaller issues like some texture pop-in, immersion-breaking A.I., etc.

Even with the issues, this is worth buying and playing, but I hope Naughty Dog patches the gamma issues. Since I haven't had this issue with any other PS4 games or TLOU on PS3, I was thinking maybe it's a bug, but I checked out forums like Neogaf and Gamefaqs and saw other people had the same issue.

These are facts. Do not be mislead by people who don't want to be honest with you. Naughty Dog's feet should be held to the fire until they fix their game.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 8:54 AM PDT

Chaos Theory
Chaos Theory
DVD ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by actcdc
Price: $24.99
42 used & new from $0.60

5.0 out of 5 stars I pretty much adore this movie, July 25, 2014
This review is from: Chaos Theory (DVD)
I pretty much adore this movie. While I haven't always been the biggest Ryan Reynolds fan, movies like Buried, and this one, Chaos Theory, show just how talented of an actor he is.

More of a romantic comedy with drama sprinkled throughout, it provides enough of something for just about everyone. And once the whole thing wraps up, you're left thinking about your own life, and how one little thing, one little action, can completely change the course of your life.

Xbox One
Xbox One
Price: Click here to see our price
81 used & new from $340.71

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredibly Reliable & Advanced Game Console, July 19, 2014
This review is from: Xbox One (Console)
Xbox One was initially announced and revealed this past June and received a lot of heat for its DRM policy that would've hurt used game sales. I was one of those people who wasn't fond of such an idea. Even though I buy mostly new games, I didn't like that the disc was pretty much a coaster after you installed it, as I'm the kind of gamer that likes to have a collection of physical games and not have everything online-only. So I wasn't going to buy an Xbox One.

Fast forward to them announcing that they were doing away with the awful DRM stuff and I was sold. I then pre-ordered one along with a PS4. While I was turned off by their original plans for the console, they heard the complaints and did the right thing, even if it was a tough pill for Microsoft to swallow.

So now what we have is a game console like any other. Whether it's a new or used game, it'll work, and this is the way it should remain for any future game consoles. As we saw with the PSP Go, the digital-only model doesn't work for this industry unless we're talking Steam.

Onto the console, the Xbox One is a large device and pretty weighty, but it has a very reliable feel to it. The Blu-ray drive is quiet and takes the disc smoothly, you can hardly hear the fans, and the whole thing is generally whisper quiet. In addition, the user interface is smooth and works very intuitively with the new Kinect.

And let's not forget the Xbox One controller which feels like a durable and well-made piece of hardware including an improved d-pad and ergonomics from the Xbox 360 controller.

Here are some 2014 exclusives still on their way:

Sunset Overdrive - The new open world sandbox action game from Insomniac, the creators of Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance. Featuring beautiful art direction, a huge world to explore, lots of free-roaming, vertical parkour allowing the player to reach great heights, etc.

D4 - The new game from cult game director Swery, the mind behind titles such as Extermination, Spy Fiction, and Deadly Premonition. It looks original and interesting for fans of his work.

Halo: Master Chief Collection - 4 games, 3 confirmed for 1080p/60fps, the other 1 being worked on to reach 1080/60fps by launch, and over 100 multiplayer and co-op maps. Halo 2: Anniversary graphics completely redone from the ground up with new CG cutscenes.

Ori & the Blind Forest - Looks to be a beautiful and emotional journey unlike anything else out there.

Below - One of the most anticipated independent titles.

PS: I also own a PS4 which I posted an Amazon Verified Review of. Overall, both are great consoles, but I prefer Xbox One.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2014 11:25 AM PDT

Sniper Elite III - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition
Sniper Elite III - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition
Offered by TRADE MANAGEMENT LLC
Price: $34.98
36 used & new from $28.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Sniper Elite III - The Best Sniping Game to Date, July 3, 2014
As someone who loved both Sniper Elite and Sniper Elite V2, I was excited for the successor to those games, but I was also hoping that they improved on some things. I'm happy to report that they did. V2, while a fun game, was much more linear than its predecessor, so I was hoping III was a move back to large environments, and it most certainly is.

In terms of gameplay, expect something similar to V2. The core gameplay is largely unchanged, but just polished up to near perfection now. Where the controls felt slightly unrefined at times before, it's now a much smoother playing game, and the character moves much more gracefully around the environments. Even something like hopping over cover is now done with a silky smooth animation. Just like in V2, the amazing bullet cam is back and better than ever. Comparable to the more recent Mortal Kombat title, you can see each bone shatter and break as your bullet passes through a body in slow-motion. That said, if you don't like this, and I don't know who wouldn't, but if you don't, you can change how frequently you want to see it in the menu. If you're a fan of stealth and sniping in games, Sniper Elite III won't disappoint.

As for story, it's there. Nothing amazing, but enjoyable enough to keep you going. But it's not a downer on the game since it gets the job done, and this game's really all about the enjoyable gameplay.

Now what really surprised me was the presentation. This game runs at native 1080p, offering very crisp image quality. In addition, the game generally runs at 60fps. I own the PS4 version, but I assume that the same holds true for the Xbox One version.

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Price: $29.99
243 used & new from $16.00

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it..., June 22, 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall is quite the frustrating game. Leading up to the PS4's launch, the graphics that were displayed in Killzone: Shadow Fall pushed me over the edge to go ahead and purchase the PS4. In addition to really enjoying both Killzone 2 and 3, it seemed like a more beautiful take on the Killzone universe.

Sadly, it was all show and no go. Once I started playing, the hype instantly deflated. Killzone: Shadow Fall is, quite frankly, an awful, awful game.

From the outside looking in, as a spectator, surely it looks like a competently made game, but it's really not. Other than the graphics, Killzone: Shadow Fall is a hodgepodge of bad design decisions. Level design ranges from mediocre to downright atrocious, enemy encounters aren't all that exciting, characters aren't memorable, story is completely throwaway, and the whole thing lacks something; it's a game that feels completely hollow, devoid of anything great.

Worst of all, it's a very boring game from beginning to end, which may be the worst thing one could say about a video game.

As for multiplayer, it's almost entirely dead at this point, and I can't blame anyone for not sticking around.

I hate that I have to hate Killzone: Shadow Fall, but sometimes it's so much easier to hate than to love, and my oh my, Killzone: Shadow Fall is one easy game to hate.

2/5

Pros:
Graphics

Cons:
Everything else

Enemy Front - Playstation 3
Enemy Front - Playstation 3
52 used & new from $14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Game; Graphical Glitches Galore, June 12, 2014
First off, this is a budget title priced at $39.99, so it came out to $31.99 + tax for me at BB since I belong to Gamers Club ($13.xx after reward certs), and for its budget price I'm pretty happy with Enemy Front. It's a game that has stealth, run & gun, and some nice sniping mechanics, and you can use these whenever you want and aren't forced to do one over the other, so that makes this game offer some nice variety to enemy encounters that other first-person shooters don't have. In addition, environments are very large and open, allowing for experimentation.

Enemy Front is also a WWII-era game, which there aren't many of these days. Instead of offering a lot of drab colors, this is a game full of brightly colored environments that are very pleasing to look at. That said, the graphics range from mediocre-good. Sometimes the game can look beautiful, but other times the game can look messy with poorly textured objects, pop-in, and other strange graphical glitches.

Since I mentioned the graphical glitches above, let me go into further detail on that since I find it to be one of this game's biggest downfalls. To be quite frank, there are a lot of oddities with graphical glitches in this game. For example, I was in the top floor of a house, there was a fire on an object across the street, but if I moved to the window in the top floor of the house and got in the right position, the fire would actually be on the window frame of the house that I was standing in. This is just one of many graphical glitches I've noticed. There's also something always on the bottom of the game's UI that makes it look like burn-in on your TV.

As for story, it's overall enjoyable, but voice acting can be cheesy at times.

Another thing I noticed is that this game sometimes takes you from level to level, but it also sometimes has a hub world environment that allows you to choose between which mission to take on next. I know that this game went through development hell and this is likely the reasoning behind two different types of game design clashing together in Enemy Front.

Overall, I do really enjoy the game and the choices it gives you on the battlefield, but I can't score it higher because of its unpolished nature.

Do NOT buy this game for multiplayer. Very buggy, laggy, and the graphics are way worse than single player.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 2:38 PM PDT

Enemy Front - Xbox 360
Enemy Front - Xbox 360
49 used & new from $14.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Game; Graphical Glitches Galore, June 11, 2014

As for story, it's overall enjoyable, but voice acting can be cheesy at times.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20