Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Horowitz the Philanthropist > Reviews

Browse

Horowitz the Phi...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 267

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Horowitz the Philanthropist RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Devil's Third - Wii U
Devil's Third - Wii U
Price: $59.99
29 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "5 stars for Devil's Third? This guy must be nuts!" If loving this game makes me nuts, I don't ever want to be sane!, December 13, 2015
This review is from: Devil's Third - Wii U (Video Game)
So Devil's Third hasn't reviewed very well, therefore I was highly skeptical going in. Honestly, I can't see why this game got such harsh reviews. If you're a fan of Deadly Premonition, Vanquish, Nier, and other underrated Japanese games that aren't perfect, have some issues that don't detract from the overall package, but have some things that make them unique and interesting, Devil's Third may be the game for you.

I started out with the single player, not expecting much, and I was instantly impressed with the visuals. Granted, the hair on the female character didn't look too great, some of the faces and animations weren't too hot, but the rest of it looked swell. What impressed me the most, however, was how good the first level looked once you took control of the character. Now, it's not the greatest looking game or anything, but it does look pretty nice overall, and it definitely looks a lot better than I had heard. I just hung out in my character's lair and punched/kicked the punching bag for a while. :) As for the story, it's very cheesy and fun thus far, and it definitely reminds me of a game from Swery, Suda, or Platinum Games. Itagaki may just join their ranks since this is his most absurd game to date. As far as gameplay goes, again, it's not nearly as bad as I had heard -- and heck, I'd probably even call it really good. There are a ton of different melee weapons you can collect throughout the levels, allowing you to choose how you beat the heck out of your foes. And let me just say, the melee is both fun and brutal. It's not as in-depth as Ninja Gaiden, but it is done very well for a game that's more focused on shooting. Since I brought up the shooting, I'm also really enjoying that (the headshots are brutal and gibtacular). You can run around and play it as a third-person shooter, shooting from the hip. Or you can aim down the sights and it'll play more like a first-person shooter. Switching between the two is a bit jarring at first, however you quickly become acclimated to it. One cool little detail is that the main character will take a swig from his flask during downtime or light up a cig while in cover (Vanquish style).

Onto the multiplayer, this has to be the most enjoyable online games I've played this gen. I love how fun it is just to traverse the maps. It's also incredibly addictive and fleshed out.

As for flaws, the framerate sometimes takes a dump, and there's also some of that dreaded Unreal Engine texture pop-in.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2016 12:07 AM PST

Rodea the Sky Soldier - Wii U
Rodea the Sky Soldier - Wii U
Price: $27.13
49 used & new from $21.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Play the Wii version that comes bundled with the Wii U version, November 11, 2015
Rodea the Sky Soldier is a really neat game. If you're a fan of older Sega games -- especially Dreamcast era Sega -- you're in for a treat with this game. What started as a game in development for the Wii many years ago, Rodea the Sky Soldier looked like it'd never see the light of day. Yuji Naka, the creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, NiGHTS Into Dreams, etc., and his development studio Prope, finished the Wii version of Rodea in 2011, but the publisher, Kadokawa Games, held it back and never released it, which was an odd choice looking back. Instead, they poured more money into development of Wii U and 3DS versions, which control a bit differently, aren't as colorful and aesthetically pleasing, and don't feel as polished as the Wii version. The Wii version is Yuji Naka's original vision, the only one he worked on, and it shows.

While I enjoy the other two versions, the Wii version is undoubtedly the best version. It's a whole lot more colorful with those patented Dreamcast blue skies, controls that take some getting used to like the other versions but are a lot easier and simplified here since you just use pointer controls and a few buttons on the Wii remote (control pad, or control pad + pointer, or A + pointer to move, then pointer + B to fly + A to boost at enemy or object), and the camera works a lot better here since you just point the Wii remote towards the edges of the screen to spin it. It also doesn't have the mediocre framerate of the 3DS version.

So overall, better and more colorful graphics, hence more charm, in addition to better everything else such as framerate, camera control, etc. This is a really charming and delightful game that people fond of Yuji Naka's prior work will appreciate. And it's not as on-rails as I had thought, and it still has a lot of exploration like the other two versions. The only thing I didn't notice, however, is if there's a jump button like in the other two versions.

Overall, the Wii version was clearly the one that had the most attention given to it, making it even stranger that it took all these years and two other versions for this game to see the light of day. I'm just glad that they included the Wii version. Sadly, most reviews I've seen have been for the Wii U version.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2015 4:46 PM PST

Rodea the Sky Soldier - Nintendo 3DS
Rodea the Sky Soldier - Nintendo 3DS
Price: $20.42
48 used & new from $15.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Calling all old school Sega and/or NiGHTS Into Dreams fans, November 10, 2015
Played the 3DS version for around 2 hours last night and had a lot of fun with it. To get it out of the way, though, I'd recommend this version last since this is the Wii U version ported to a less powerful platform and the Wii U version supposedly isn't as good as the Wii version, therefore it's fair to say it's the worst of the bunch. While I won't play the other two until tonight, I think it's fair to say that.

All of that said, in the two hours that I did play, I got used to the controls, which do take some getting used to. Since the Wii U/3DS version is more of an action/adventure with RPG elements (exploration, collectibles, upgrades, etc.) instead of more on-rails arcade action like the Wii, you have to get used to traversing the world and controlling the camera.

My biggest gripe, thus far, is the camera -- though I have no idea if this is just exclusive to the 3DS or plagues the Wii U version, too. I'd imagine that they made some control changes when porting it to the handheld, so there could have been some changes made to how the camera controls. So what's wrong with it? You can't freely control the camera. Instead, it moves 90 degrees with each click of the L or R shoulder buttons, but it does so in a very weird way that I can't accurately describe.

With camera complaints out of the way, once you master the art of flying and traversing the world, it's an absolute blast. The levels are pretty massive -- especially the second level/world which has a lot of different secrets to find and areas to discover off the beaten path -- and it's a treat to fly around them. You do have a gauge that limits how long you can stay in the air, however, but it refills instantly and isn't much of a problem. I also enjoyed chaining together moves to defeat enemies, collect things, etc., which all adds to your score and rating that's tallied at the end of each level. I played the first two levels, explored them throughout -- didn't find all the collectibles, and beat the first boss which reminded me a bit of a boss from the NiGHTS Into Dreams games. Overall, I'm pleased with the gameplay even though it takes a little bit of time to master.

Graphically, it's fine for a handheld, but textures aren't detailed and decidedly dated. Aliasing is also a nagging issue. And while it didn't hamper the fun that I had with the game, the framerate is a bit iffy. Aesthetically, though, while some looks a bit bland, I'm pretty pleased with the presentation overall, and the soundtrack is pretty good.

Even though I have a fair amount of complaints, I really, really dig this game. Honestly, if the camera and framerate were better, I'd give it a 5/5 since it's my kind of game. Again, though, if you have the option to get the Wii U version that comes with the Wii version, I'd say to get that. The only reason I played the 3DS version first is because I got the Limited Edition from NIS Store delivered to my house yesterday.

If you're a fan of old school Sega games, this is the closest thing to that.

I'll be sure to update this review if anything changes as I play more of the game.

Teslagrad - PlayStation 4
Teslagrad - PlayStation 4
Offered by Insane Web Deals
Price: $33.88
10 used & new from $12.20

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Great to See Digital Games Get Physical Releases :), October 21, 2015
Teslagrad is a puzzle platformer that was once only available as a digital download, but Soedesco, in their first publishing effort in the US, has brought this neat game to disc format, and I couldn't be happier. While I'm fine with digital for lower priced games like these, it's always nice to know that you can own the game on a disc, with a case and cover art, and you can display it on the shelf with the rest of your games, lend it, sell it, trade it, pass it down to your kids (Blu-ray is very scratch-resistant and can last 100+ years), or do whatever with it. Digital, while it has some perks, worries me since these servers for the new consoles will one day go offline, as they did with the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube, and it's only a matter of time, maybe 5 or so years, until the same happens with the last generation consoles. Then once that happens, your content is tied to very fragile hard drive's that'll eventually go bad.

So I hope more developers and publishers continue to bring titles like this to physical format.

As for the game, I was really impressed by the art direction here. While it's a 2D game, it's incredibly colorful and detailed. I got a bit of a Limbo or Braid vibe from the 2D art and the gameplay.

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $29.30
83 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lengthy, Deep, Rewarding RPG, October 14, 2015
Wasteland 2 is the sequel to Wasteland, a game that came out in 1988, so it's understandable that many people may not know the property very well. For those who haven't played the prior game, Wasteland 2 can be enjoyed from beginning to end without any knowledge of the first game. Will you get more out of it if you played the first game? Certainly. However, it's not necessary that you play it before playing this.

Now, why did it take so long to create a sequel? Brian Fargo, one of the leading minds behind the original game, didn't own the property. So what did he and his studio, Interplay, do? They created Fallout. If you only know Fallout from Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas (a writer for New Vegas, Chris Avellone, also contributed to Wasteland 2), Wasteland 2 isn't that style of RPG. Wasteland 2 is more akin Fallout 1 and 2. If you haven't played those, they're more strategic isometric RPGs than the first-person action RPGs that Bethesda turned the franchise into. While I'm personally fine with both styles of game and enjoy both, Fallout 1 and 2 are two of the greatest RPGs ever, IMO, so it's great that Wasteland 2 is essentially a new old school Fallout game.

When it comes to gameplay, as I said it's a strategic RPG, but this is one challenging game, and that's no exaggeration. Even on lower difficulty settings, this game will give even the most grizzled gaming veteran a run for his/her money. Does that mean that it should intimidate newcomers? Absolutely not. With the challenge comes reward, and each battle in Wasteland 2 feels rewarding because you feel like you're actually in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and fighting for your life, so once you barely make it out of a battle, you feel you're actually being respected and not treated as the lowest common denominator by the developer. Instead, they expect the player to learn the systems, become comfortable with them, and then do the best to their ability to overcome the threats in the wasteland. It's not always easy -- heck, it hardly ever is -- but it's a game that challenges you in fair ways without being cheap.

Like any good RPG, you have deep customization of characters looks and abilities, loot to find, etc. Wasteland 2 doesn't disappoint when it comes to depth.

Graphically, Wasteland 2 looks as it should -- old school. The Director's Cut, however, has been shifted to a new engine, so it means you're getting improved graphics and performance over its original release.

Overall, I highly recommend this to any RPG fans looking for a challenge.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2015 4:15 PM PST

Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash with Chibi-Robo amiibo bundle - Nintendo 3DS
Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash with Chibi-Robo amiibo bundle - Nintendo 3DS
Offered by Made Easy Kit (MEK)
Price: $28.70
71 used & new from $24.79

4.0 out of 5 stars This Chibi may be different, it may not be what I initially wanted, but I'm glad I got it, October 11, 2015
I wasn't so sure how I'd feel about this game given the reviews. While I loved Chibi-Robo on the Cube back in the day, I wasn't as impressed with the DS game. So I went in with a bit skepticism and actually came away rather pleased after playing for an hour. So here are my initial thoughts:

At its core, Zip Lash is a platforming game, more akin to a Kirby or Mario title, or perhaps the new Yoshi Woolly World coming out soon, so its gameplay is different from both the Cube and DS games. Where in those games you had 3D sandboxes to explore and interact with, this game is a platformer where you move left to right, which should be a genre any Nintendo fan is familiar with, and it's likely the reason why Nintendo decided to go this route. While that may be disappointing to fans of Chibi's prior outings, don't let it sour you on this game, because what is here is a charming, cute, and mechanically tight, platforming game that fans of the genre will undoubtedly enjoy. While Chibi-Robo feels different to control than Mario or Kirby, the mechanics are precise and polished, which is a necessity in a platforming game. The Zip Lash is also really fun to play around with, and I get a little bit of a Bionic Commando feel at times.

Graphically, this game doesn't look like anything special in 2D screenshots that you'll see on the internet, but everything looks great on the 3DS when using 3D. Chibi's exterior shines on the screen and animates wonderfully, making for a really charming little game to look at.

The game's most underrated feature, however, is, I think, the soundtrack. This is a really fun game just to listen to.

One issue I have come across is that the framerate sometimes isn't the greatest, so keep that in mind if that's really important to you.

If you're a fan of platformers, I don't think you can go wrong here. This is a good game and it's priced at $10 less than most 3DS games (the same price with the Amiibo). If you're a Chibi-Robo fan and unsure about the change in gameplay, I think you should give it a shot if you like the genre. If you don't, I don't know if your love for Chibi will be enough to overcome that.

Overall, I'm super pleased with this game and glad I picked it up despite some rather mixed reviews out there.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2015 7:03 AM PDT

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 - Standard Edition - PlayStation 4
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 - Standard Edition - PlayStation 4
Offered by THE DEAL CHATZIEL
Price: $31.98
116 used & new from $13.51

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently Robomodo forgot that level design matters, September 29, 2015
These levels are terrible. All of the levels I've played thus far (the first 3) feel like mediocre user-created levels. :(
In addition, this new "slam" mechanic is awful. It's mapped to triangle, the same button as grind, so you can only guess how that feels when you're trying to hit a rail and instead you press it a second too soon or something and just slam to the ground instead.

The one positive? The physics actually feel good this time. Gone are the crap physics from THPS HD. So that begs the question, why would they improve the physics to feel more like the originals, therefore pretty much nailing the gameplay of the old games, only to completely ruin the flow of the gameplay with the slam move? It boggles the mind.

Also, the soundtrack sucks. Absolute, unadulterated trash from what I've heard.

As much as we've seen made of the glitches on the internet, I haven't experienced those. I experienced some goofy ragdolls, though. That said, what ruins this game is not the glitches, nor the physics that tarnished THPS HD, but it's things that could and should have been avoided but weren't.

Pros:
Physics feel correct, therefore the gameplay isn't as off as in THPS HD
While real bad, it's still better than those crap peripheral games like Ride and Shred

Cons:
Level design is absolute trash
Slam mechanic ruins the flow of the otherwise decent gameplay
Framerate is all over the place
Graphics, as we expected, are low-end PS3/Xbox 360
Soundtrack isn't memorable like the earlier games and is full of stinkers

Guys, this one's bad -- like real bad! I could forgive the crappy slam mechanic, a bad soundtrack, and some performance hitches and mediocre graphics, but when the level design is so amateur and slipshod, why even bother playing it? These levels feel like they were made in the level creator without any care or thought put into them at all. The level design alone is enough to earn this game a 1/5.

I'm not a super harsh person, and I often enjoy lower budget games, so I was willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt and thought that perhaps it'd have some redeeming qualities even if it had a lot of flaws, but the level design alone completely makes this game a waste of your time and my time. As a huge THPS fan, this one hurts. Activision, you should feel ashamed for handing this off to an incompetent developer. Sadly, this is probably the last THPS, or extreme sports game, we'll see in a very long time... :(
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2015 9:10 AM PDT

Until Dawn - PlayStation 4
Until Dawn - PlayStation 4
Offered by GameBLVD
Price: $44.95
81 used & new from $41.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Until Dawn is the perfect marriage of Heavy Rain and a teen slasher flick, August 28, 2015
Until Dawn is the very first game from developer Supermassive Games and you wouldn't know it given how good the game is. What first started life as a Playstation Move game on the PS3, Until Dawn never released in that form and was instead scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up for the PS4 to emulate the style of game that developer Quantic Dream has been making for years now, namely Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. However, unlike those titles, Until Dawn is a horror game. It's hard to find a direct comparison in video games when it comes to this style of horror. Many people might not have played it, but the closest thing I'd compare it to in terms of a horror game is Obscure from the 6th console generation. That was a teen horror game with all of the tropes that come with the genre. So if you've played Obscure, think of a better version of that married with Heavy Rain.

In terms of gameplay, again, the closest comparison is Heavy Rain. You are exploring environments, finding clues, doing quick-time events during action scenes -- and these are done extremely well in this game and far more varied than in other games that offer them, etc. The gameplay is tied directly to the narrative to make it a cinematic and seamless experience. This isn't a game where you're just doing meaningless actions to pad a game's length, but each action services the storytelling.

Graphically, Until Dawn is one of the best looking games out there. As someone who has all 3 current generation consoles, I haven't played many games on par with Until Dawn. Running on the Killzone: Shadow Fall engine, an engine capable of producing beautiful visuals, Until Dawn is a looker. However, that doesn't mean it's perfect as the framerate can chunk up in some areas, but these small issues are few & far between and it doesn't really tarnish the game's brilliance. Character model wise, these are some of the most detailed character models in any game, and these characters feel like real people, warts & all.

In terms of being a horror game, Until Dawn isn't the scariest game you'll play -- it's a fun, campy, teen slasher -- but it still offers plenty of scares. So if you're a bit of a wimp when it comes to horror, don't worry. It's scary but not overly gross or terrifying.

Please, please, please, if you have any interest in this game, pick it up. Remember, if you buy something and support it, it's more likely that we'll see more titles like this. If we don't support them, however, we won't, and that would be a shame. This is Supermassive Games debut, it's an interesting new IP, and it needs our support.

To any employees of Supermassive Games: If you read this, thank you for the wonderful game that has been a treat for my spouse and I to experience together.

Rare Replay - Xbox One
Rare Replay - Xbox One
Price: $23.10
119 used & new from $15.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Rare Replay is the history of one of gaming's most prolific game developers, August 4, 2015
Rare Replay is hands down one of the greatest game compilations ever made. In my opinion, this is right up there with The Orange Box in terms of quality and value. You're getting 30 games, most of them good-great, for $29.99. That's a wonderful deal.

This collection has games from the '80's to the latter years of the first decade of the 2000's. Some older games, presented in their native format, do have borders, while newer games do not. This is done to preserve the image quality of these older games that weren't made to have their images stretched for widescreen 16:9 televisions. That said, most of them received significant upgrades to their image quality in the form of a resolution bump.

While I've yet to play all of the games in the collection, I've checked out Conker's Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini. These games alone are worth the price of admission, but you also get 26 more games, in addition to extras in the form of videos about Rare's history, options to add filters and whatnot to classic games, etc.

The whole package exudes a quality you'd expect from Rare. That said, there are some minor quirks here and there, but nothing that takes away from this great package. Jet Force Gemini's controls, for example, are incredibly dated; however, Rare/Microsoft have said that they're going to patch in a dual stick control scheme to make it feel more current, which is a very good thing. The other 3 games, however -- Conker especially -- feel great and look better than the original versions running on their native hardware.

If you like Rare, love Rare, or you're new to them, this is a collection that won't disappoint you. No matter what kind of games you're into, I'm sure you'll find something here to please you. Rare is a company known mostly for their mascots such as Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Joanna Dark, etc., but they also had wonderful games like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini that were really special and different for their time. Even though the graphics on the older games have aged, they look better than ever here, and a lot of these games are timeless.

I will add to this review at a later date if I come across anything that I feel needs to be added.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2015 9:31 PM PDT

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War - Xbox
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War - Xbox
Offered by Sadira's Gifts
Price: $47.99
165 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a masterpiece in 2015, July 31, 2015
RTCW is hands down one of the greatest FPS titles in recent memory. As someone who bought this at launch and now have 5 copies across various platforms, it's a game that I come back to time and time again. While the PC version is the best, the Xbox version is no slouch. The PS2 version, however, is the one I'd recommend the least, but it's still worth buying if it's your only option.

RTCW can be played as both an FPS and a stealth game; I tend to prefer playing stealth, but sometimes I do enjoy using the guns to destroy the Nazi scum. :)

If you're into WW2 games, and like a dose of the occult, RTCW is a game you should seek out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20