Profile for UziHorowitz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 197

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

UziHorowitz RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sniper Elite III - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition
Sniper Elite III - PlayStation 4 Standard Edition
Offered by goHastings
Price: $48.12
10 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sniper Elite III - The Best Sniping Game to Date, July 3, 2014
As someone who loved both Sniper Elite and Sniper Elite V2, I was excited for the successor to those games, but I was also hoping that they improved on some things. I'm happy to report that they did. V2, while a fun game, was much more linear than its predecessor, so I was hoping III was a move back to large environments, and it most certainly is.

In terms of gameplay, expect something similar to V2. The core gameplay is largely unchanged, but just polished up to near perfection now. Where the controls felt slightly unrefined at times before, it's now a much smoother playing game, and the character moves much more gracefully around the environments. Even something like hopping over cover is now done with a silky smooth animation. Just like in V2, the amazing bullet cam is back and better than ever. Comparable to the more recent Mortal Kombat title, you can see each bone shatter and break as your bullet passes through a body in slow-motion. That said, if you don't like this, and I don't know who wouldn't, but if you don't, you can change how frequently you want to see it in the menu. If you're a fan of stealth and sniping in games, Sniper Elite III won't disappoint.

As for story, it's there. Nothing amazing, but enjoyable enough to keep you going. But it's not a downer on the game since it gets the job done, and this game's really all about the enjoyable gameplay.

Now what really surprised me was the presentation. This game runs at native 1080p, offering very crisp image quality. In addition, the game generally runs at 60fps. I own the PS4 version, but I assume that the same holds true for the Xbox One version.

Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (PlayStation 4)
Offered by extendedplay77
Price: $29.84
212 used & new from $18.50

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it..., June 22, 2014
Killzone: Shadow Fall is quite the frustrating game. Leading up to the PS4's launch, the graphics that were displayed in Killzone: Shadow Fall pushed me over the edge to go ahead and purchase the PS4. In addition to really enjoying both Killzone 2 and 3, it seemed like a more beautiful take on the Killzone universe.

Sadly, it was all show and no go. Once I started playing, the hype instantly deflated. Killzone: Shadow Fall is, quite frankly, an awful, awful game.

From the outside looking in, as a spectator, surely it looks like a competently made game, but it's really not. Other than the graphics, Killzone: Shadow Fall is a hodgepodge of bad design decisions. Level design ranges from mediocre to downright atrocious, enemy encounters aren't all that exciting, characters aren't memorable, story is completely throwaway, and the whole thing lacks something; it's a game that feels completely hollow, devoid of anything great.

Worst of all, it's a very boring game from beginning to end, which may be the worst thing one could say about a video game.

As for multiplayer, it's almost entirely dead at this point, and I can't blame anyone for not sticking around.

I hate that I have to hate Killzone: Shadow Fall, but sometimes it's so much easier to hate than to love, and my oh my, Killzone: Shadow Fall is one easy game to hate.

2/5

Pros:
Graphics

Cons:
Everything else

Enemy Front - Playstation 3
Enemy Front - Playstation 3
Price: $33.41
38 used & new from $24.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Game; Graphical Glitches Galore, June 12, 2014
First off, this is a budget title priced at $39.99, so it came out to $31.99 + tax for me at BB since I belong to Gamers Club ($13.xx after reward certs), and for its budget price I'm pretty happy with Enemy Front. It's a game that has stealth, run & gun, and some nice sniping mechanics, and you can use these whenever you want and aren't forced to do one over the other, so that makes this game offer some nice variety to enemy encounters that other first-person shooters don't have. In addition, environments are very large and open, allowing for experimentation.

Enemy Front is also a WWII-era game, which there aren't many of these days. Instead of offering a lot of drab colors, this is a game full of brightly colored environments that are very pleasing to look at. That said, the graphics range from mediocre-good. Sometimes the game can look beautiful, but other times the game can look messy with poorly textured objects, pop-in, and other strange graphical glitches.

Since I mentioned the graphical glitches above, let me go into further detail on that since I find it to be one of this game's biggest downfalls. To be quite frank, there are a lot of oddities with graphical glitches in this game. For example, I was in the top floor of a house, there was a fire on an object across the street, but if I moved to the window in the top floor of the house and got in the right position, the fire would actually be on the window frame of the house that I was standing in. This is just one of many graphical glitches I've noticed. There's also something always on the bottom of the game's UI that makes it look like burn-in on your TV.

As for story, it's overall enjoyable, but voice acting can be cheesy at times.

Another thing I noticed is that this game sometimes takes you from level to level, but it also sometimes has a hub world environment that allows you to choose between which mission to take on next. I know that this game went through development hell and this is likely the reasoning behind two different types of game design clashing together in Enemy Front.

Overall, I do really enjoy the game and the choices it gives you on the battlefield, but I can't score it higher because of its unpolished nature.

Do NOT buy this game for multiplayer. Very buggy, laggy, and the graphics are way worse than single player.

Enemy Front - Xbox 360
Enemy Front - Xbox 360
Price: $33.41
35 used & new from $30.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Game; Graphical Glitches Galore, June 11, 2014

As for story, it's overall enjoyable, but voice acting can be cheesy at times.

Murdered Soul Suspect
Murdered Soul Suspect
Price: $46.85
49 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An Original Take on the Adventure Genre, June 4, 2014
This review is from: Murdered Soul Suspect (Video Game)
Murdered: Soul Suspect is a game with absolutely no hype behind it, and that's pretty sad, in my opinion, because this is a very enjoyable and fresh take on a genre that hasn't strived in quite a while. While adventure games have been making a bit of a resurgence in the downloadable space, retail games are mostly more action oriented, and since this isn't one of those games, it was forgotten by most people before it even released. This, this makes me upset. Is Murdered: Soul Suspect a game for everyone? Certainly not. Is Murdered: Soul Suspect a bad game because of this? Most definitely not. Despite some mixed reviews, I can say without shame that I love this game. Hey, that rhymed, lol. :P

All of that said, what is Murdered: Soul Suspect? Basically, you're a dude, a dude that is murdered by a hooded person, and your soul/ghost is trying to find out who it was and what was the motivation. The gameplay is more akin to the likes of Heavy Rain, where you're searching the environment to piece together all evidence and clues to find out the reasoning behind your murder. While doing so, you will also come in contact with other souls that haven't crossed over, allowing you to talk to them, gain knowledge from them, help them find out the reasoning behind their deaths, etc. In addition, you also have the ability to take over human non-playable characters in the world, allowing you to hear their thoughts, see what they're reading, etc. You can also take over a cat! A CAT! Okay, enough about cats. :) In addition to the main story missions, there are some side missions scattered throughout the story missions and some side activities in the hub world of Salem (many collectibles to be had that help flesh out the narrative even more).

Overall, I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with Murdered: Soul Suspect. It's very fun to finally play a much slower game that allows me to soak in the atmosphere, scour the environments, and solve things with wits instead of weapons.

4.5
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2014 12:18 PM PDT

Watch Dogs - Xbox One
Watch Dogs - Xbox One
Price: $49.65
91 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Bandwagon Haters, May 27, 2014
This review is from: Watch Dogs - Xbox One (Video Game)
Ever since Watch Dogs was re-revealed to the world after its stunning 2012 E3 debut, this game has gotten a level of unnecessary hate that was just silly to watch. The internet bandwagon haters went into a tizzy screaming "downgrade" like a bunch of children, going off on incessant temper tantrums, causing us sane gamers to just sigh at their behavior.

Anyways, were they right? In one word: No. In two words: Heck no.

Now with that said, it's certainly true that the graphics do not look as good as the 2012 E3 debut, but it's also true that Ubisoft said that that version was an unfinished build running on PC hardware, so they weren't lying to anyone, and I'm certainly not an Ubisoft apologist seeing as how I find most of their games disappointing. But even then, while it doesn't look that good, it still looks pretty great most of the time, especially at night. It's true that daytime is less impressive, but it still looks rather good overall. I would recommend turning down the brightness a good bit in-game for the best results.

As for the game itself, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it since like I said earlier, I'm not a huge fan of many Ubisoft games, so I entered this game with a healthy dose of skepticism. That said, I was blown away by what I experienced. First mission starts, it's stealth, and not only is the stealth really fun, the mood and setting totally sell the mission and opening of the game. Once you get out, you're introduced to the open world that Watch Dogs offers, and it's quite beautiful the first time you see it. Both the driving and gun combat are incredibly solid, but I'm more of a stealth guy when it comes to games, and Watch Dogs has delivered on that front. There's also a lot to see and do in the world, including hacking conversations, into bank accounts, seeing personal information of civilians, tons of side content, etc. It just offers so much.

I must say that I'm also really enjoying the soundtrack. It has a lot more recent music recorded after 2000 like Spitalfield and Alkaline Trio, to name a few.

In addition to all of the single player offerings, Watch Dogs has a very fun online component, and it's an absolute hoot. Granted, I haven't played all that much of it yet, but what I have played I have thoroughly enjoyed.

It's a shame that the "downgrade" in graphics has caused too many to rage on internet forums, on Amazon, on Metacritic, etc., and trying to tarnish the hard work of the people who dedicated years of their lives to create this game. But hey, that's the world we live in.

4.5/5

Watch Dogs - PlayStation 4
Watch Dogs - PlayStation 4
Price: $51.83
121 used & new from $37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the Bandwagon Haters, May 27, 2014

Anyways, were they right? In one word: No. In two words: Heck no.

4.5/5
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2014 11:05 AM PDT

Drakengard 3 - PlayStation 3
Drakengard 3 - PlayStation 3
Price: $40.59
50 used & new from $36.17

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Hack & Slash Game w/ Dated Graphics and Woefully Inadequate Framerate Performance, May 24, 2014
Drakengard 3 has a whole lot of style. From the soundtrack, to the over-the-top voice acting, to the fast hack & slash combat, etc., Drakengard 3 delivers a unique experience while still being similar to other hack & slash titles. I was mostly anticipating Drakengard 3 because it was created by ex-Cavia talent who worked on the prior games and also Access Games who worked on the cult classics Spy Fiction and Deadly Premonition. That said, Drakengard 3 has more depth than most games in the genre, but it's held back by some issues pertaining to the Unreal Engine 3.

You play as Zero, a girl with quite an attitude, which makes the story fun and enjoyable to experience. While I don't find the story to be particularly original, the way its delivered, in addition to the entertaining voice acting and dialogue, help it become greater than the sum of its parts

As for the gameplay, you have the main objective, but you also have many side quests to complete. The gameplay itself has two parts: hack & slash combat and dragon combat, both offering some variety and a nice change of pace from one another. While neither of the two offer "best in class" gameplay, it's very enjoyable nonetheless.

Even though this game has problems, I still really like its presentation. Cutscenes looked really good, in my opinion, and the soundtrack is excellent throughout.

Since I mentioned that this game has some issues, let me mention those quickly. This game runs on the Unreal Engine 3, I think (or some other iteration of Unreal), and I think the developers had issues with the engine. While the game can look good at times, especially during cutscenes, textures and whatnot look decidedly dated for a PS3 title. In addition to the dated textures, there's a lot of framerate slowdown and screen tear throughout the game, which is unfortunate.

Other than the technical shortcomings, I really enjoyed my time with Drakengard 3.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Xbox One
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Xbox One
Price: $39.99
78 used & new from $32.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The Old School Debuts on New School Hardware Successfully, May 21, 2014
Wolfenstein: The New Order is the first game developed by MachineGames, a new game development studio comprised of industry veterans who worked on such titles as The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and The Darkness. After leaving Starbreeze, these talents started MachineGames to continue their passion of making great games, and if Wolfenstein: The New Order is any indication, this studio has a bright future ahead of them.

First and foremost, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a single player game. Is that a negative? Not one bit. There are enough multiplayer games out there if that's what you're into, and only a few of them actually succeed, so it's best to leave multiplayer to the games that have people who want that and not waste resources on it when they could be better spent making a meatier and more satisfying single player game, and that's exactly what MachineGames did with Wolfenstein: The New Order. Depending on your style of play, you can get 20 hours out of this game on one playthrough, which is very long for a first-person shooter. In addition, both running & gunning and stealth are viable options since the level design allows for exploration and planning which is important if you're playing stealthily. This also adds replay since there are two different ways you can play the game. As for the shooting, it's so buttery smooth and packs a punch. I haven't played a shooter in a very long time that felt this good. As for stealth, it's pretty basic but satisfying. It's fun throwing knives at the enemy or using a silenced pistol. :)

Onto the graphics, this game is available on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Xbox 360 and PS3, so it's a cross-generational release, which means it won't be the most graphically impressive game you've ever seen. Sometimes it looks outstanding, sometimes it looks okay, and other times you'll notice that some textures aren't as detailed as they could be. With that said, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a rarity on consoles like Xbox One and PS4 since it outputs native 1080p resolution and 60 frames-per-second on both.

Now the big surprise for me is the story. Wolfenstein was never known for story, but The New Order changes that. Likable protagonists, despised antagonists, all wonderfully voiced and acted. In addition, the soundtrack is tops.

Wolfenstein: The New Order surprised me by how good it is. Probably my favorite FPS since Half-Life 2.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2014 3:22 PM PDT