Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for jeep_n_co > Reviews

Browse

jeep_n_co's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jeep_n_co RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Pioneer DEH-80PRS Mobile CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment
Offered by gadget-town
Price: $246.85
104 used & new from $240.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great SQ, but wouldn't recommend if your primary listening method is Bluetooth., April 15, 2016
I needed a single din radio for my Jeeps since I was also installing a Cobra 18 WX ST II single din CB in my double din radio slot. What attracted me to this radio were all the inputs, great options for expanding beyond the internal amp when the time comes, and the great sound quality reviews this unit was getting by people who know way more about car stereo than I ever care to know.

So I bought two of these, one for my 2007 2dr JK and one for my 2014 4dr JKU. At the same time, I also purchased two of the aforementioned Cobra CBs and the Metra install kits.

I'll start with the positives...

Sound quality using the internal amp (as I am currently) is great. Oddly, both of my Jeep's have the base RES radio with Infiniti amp and rear factory sub, but Chrysler must have changed the factory amps between my 2007 and my 2014. In my 2007 I can turn it ALL the way up with no cut out and loudness setting "on" while the 2014 will clip out at higher volumes with loudness setting "off". Despite that, this setup will still get acceptably loud for highway motoring in the 2014 so long as the top is on. In the 2007, this setup with factory amp will be plenty loud for highway speeds top down.

The single large volume knob that is also a multi function switch is acceptably usable in a bumpy Jeep without unintentionally hitting one of the other functions This was important to me because I had another brand head unit in my TJ with a multi function knob that was so sensitive it would change sources whenever I tried to use it to change volume... So frustrating!

Tons of inputs! One Aux-In on the front panel, one Aux-in on the rear of the unit, dual USB inputs at the rear, plus Bluetooth (which I will have more to say about later in the review) means I could have up to five devices connected at once.

Three pre outs for a ton of flexibility in adding more sound in the future. I will definitely utilize this for the 2014 JKU. Plus, this head unit has a neat ability to reassign your pre-outs to bass, mid-range, high-range and then subsequently tune the sound using a set of tuning tools built right into the deck. This is unheard of in a head unit in this price range.

Plenty to be happy about if one is using directly connected devices, the tuner or the CD.

Now for a couple of minor complaints. These are simply annoyances, not anything that would cause me to not recommend the unit.

Stupid display options. Look, I don't know why Pioneer decided that all Americans want the insides of their vehicles to look like a damn disco, but somebody needs to tell them to knock it off with the crazy visualizations that randomly dance on the screen. It's just fricken stupid. Give me simple, discrete display that shows pertinent information and maybe, MAYBE a clock and I'm all set. Fortunately Pioneer did offer a couple of simple display options, but one is a clock/calendar display that takes up the entire screen real estate to show nothing but date and time, the other shows a tiny digital clock off to the right with plenty of room to show track/title of the currently playing song for some sources. Maybe that worked in 1995 when all a person did was pop in their pearl jam CD but on this unit, however Bluetooth track listing info does NOT display.

Obscure, complicated menu options. For some bizarre reason, I actually have to turn the unit OFF to change some of the settings! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? A couple of months after I had the unit installed, I wanted to add my wife's phone as a Bluetooth device. I tried everything I could think of trying to find the correct menu option. I gave up in frustration, and will have to dig up the damn manual to figure it out! Is there some kind of world wide shortage of button plastic? Why are manufactures so intent on minimizing buttons that anything useful has to be hidden behind impossible to remember button press knob turn sequences? It's just stupid.

OK now that the MINOR annoyances are off my chest... Here is the MAJOR FAULT with this unit in my mind.

As I write this, we are comfortably into 2016. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in nearly a decade. I haven't touched a CD in nearly as long. ALL of my entertainment consumption is digital and on this miraculous device that sits in my pocket. This miracle device has the ability to magically connect to musical playback machines without even having to take it out of your pocket via Bluetooth. Bluetooth has been a pretty well understood standard for nearly 20 years, and ubiquitous for the last decade.

So why can't this radio stay connected to my phone via Bluetooth for longer than five minutes?

Well, alright, it stays "connected", but it hesitates on a pretty regular schedule. Music when playing will pause for a couple of beats about every five minutes on average. Like just for a couple of milliseconds, but definitely enough to interrupt the experience. Not QUITE enough to make me want to rip it all out, but right on the border of my tolerance.

To me, it's feels like a very immature implementation of Bluetooth. This whole head unit shows it age in other ways, but this is it's fatal flaw. I can live without a track listing when playing Bluetooth, and I can live some of the other minor annoyances I listed above, but I can barely tolerate how this unit handles the Bluetooth music stream.

I wish I didn't buy two of them. And I very well may rip them both out and start all over again.

Anyone want to buy two of these cheap?

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J-Series LED Headlight - Black
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J-Series LED Headlight - Black
Offered by 4x4 Auction
Price: $573.00
8 used & new from $573.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The half-halo offended my vain nature..., November 6, 2015
I ended up returning the J version with the half-halos strictly for vanity reasons.

I have a black jeep, and the half-halo is too stark-white for my taste. I was kind of hoping that in all the pictures I had seen of the J version, the flash of the camera was over-emphasizing the halo. That is not the case. It really is just this giant white eyebrow in an otherwise nearly all black surface.

The stated purpose of the halo is so that when the lights are on, the top half of the headlight looks more "filled out". I kinda get that, and when the headlights are on it does help to define the roundness of the headlight. However, for me I wanted a more blacked-out look and the benefits of the definition at night are not personally worth it.

If my jeep weren't all black, or if I got the chrome version I would probably be OK with the white of the half-halo, because the light pattern of the headlight is spectacular. However, the Evo2 version has the same headlight output without the halo, so for me that worked better, even if it does require an extra part (anti-flicker harnesses).

Oh, a side note... the vendor I ordered these from had a great initial price, however they shipped from Canada. Since I returned them, they had to go back to Canada and upon return I got hit up with a $76 duty fee (or is it a tax?). OUCH! The vendor has been great to deal with and this is beyond their control, but just be REALLY sure you want the J version if you order from them. Oddly enough, I exchanged them for the Evo2 version and those shipped from Washington state, don't know what is up with that.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2015 10:09 PM PST

JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Black
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Black
Offered by 4x4 Auction
Price: $272.00
26 used & new from $264.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, November 6, 2015
Really you can't ask for better lights at a better price.

LEDMO 5050 RGB LED Strip Light Kit (Waterproof 16.4ft 300LEDs, Color Changing SMD5050 RGB, LED Tape Light, Including a 44-key RGB Remote Control & a 12VDC/5A Power Supply)
Offered by targetlighting
Price: $45.69
2 used & new from $19.52

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fun product, using for a custom piece of furniture ..., November 6, 2015
What a fun product, using for a custom piece of furniture and it looks like this is going to fit the bill perfectly. So far, I have only bench tested but everything works as expected. I can think of a ton more uses for this beyond my current project, so I look forward to all the different ways this can be used.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Plan on using a different barrel nut wrench, be pleasantly surprised if the supplied wrench works out alright., January 4, 2015
Bought two of these as gifts for the holidays, and then I helped the recipients install on their uppers.

One rail went on near perfectly with no issues. Seemed to torque up OK and I had no problems using the supplied wrench to apply plenty of torque to align the barrel nut to nearest gas tube hole.

The other stopped just short of alignment with the gas tube hole, and attempting to use the supplied wrench to apply torque to align it made an absolute mess of the middle teeth on the barrel nut. I kept having to switch to different teeth trying to get it right. I could not back off to the next nearest hole, as that would be way too loose. And of course, busted knuckles the first time the teeth gave way, but what is an AR build without a little blood, sweat and tears, right? OK, I didn't cry, but I sure cursed up a blue streak.

I eventually gave up and will have to find another solution for that upper. I think I can get a wrench that has the protruding studs in it so I can turn the barrel nut properly, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying one with a supplied wrench.

It's almost like I was dealing with two completely different materials between the two items. Bought same day, shipped same day int he same box. One looks like it is going to work, the other may work. But, since the one that may work has a barrel nut that is buggered up, I would not be able to return it.

Overall, a 75% success rate. One worked as advertised, the other I think I can get to work but it will require another purchase.

An additional note, the cardboard box the held each tube (not the shipping material, instead the product packaging) looked like it had one end flap torn off, like there was a label there and it was specifically torn off. Both items arrived like that, with tape to keep the two inner flaps from coming apart. It felt a little, I don't know... suspect?

On a positive note, both items were well packaged for shipping and arrived just fine, even a little bit earlier that promised. I appreciated that.

I guess for the price, I really can't complain all that much. The picatinny rails might be a hair undersized (or maybe my CMMG uppers are a hair oversized, I don't know which but the profiles are ever so slightly different), but this does not appear to affect function as I tried several rail mounted items on them and all held securely.

Under The Dome, Season 1
Under The Dome, Season 1
Price: $24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Started out OK, but doesn't wear well, September 21, 2013
Dean Norris was original draw to this show, too bad it's not nearly as good a Breaking Bad. Typical network schlock. First couple of episodes were pretty good, and I was deliberately avoiding reading about the book on wiki so as not give anything away. After the last couple of episodes, I gave up. Finally just said "screw it" and read the book synopsis, now I no longer feel as though I will be missing anything by skipping the rest of the show. Haven't even watched the final episode yet, I am sure I will get around to it one day but not in a hurry.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, definitely a no-mar finish., April 26, 2013
Held my flat-top receiver very securely in my 6" vise with zero movement, even as I torqued pretty hard on the barrel nut. I have no concerns over the plastic marring the finish, the plastic has a soft and slick feel... Its UHMW Plastic, neat stuff and supposedly tools very similar to wood.

I like how the mag well vise block can accommodate the lower in either orientation (grip up or grip down). Slot in mag well block for mag release to securely hold block in place (again, in either orientation).

I choose this over the clamshell style vise blocks due to the reports of that style not working with some of the more exotic billet uppers and also marring the surface. Since this holds the receiver in tension between the top rail and the lower pivot pin lugs, one could fit virtually anything between the two halves, as long as your upper is an A4 flat top (or A3 as some would say).

The clear plastic anti-torque plates slip over a forward assist with plenty of clearance, and I really see them as somewhat optional once set up in the vise itself. Handy to keep everything together while moving into the vice.

An additional point in this design's favor are it breaks down into very flat components for easy storage.

So far, I have nothing negative to report on this design, so long as you don't mind working on the receiver "sideways". That does not seem to be an impediment so far.

Pioneer VSX-920-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Pioneer VSX-920-K 7.1 Home Theater Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, add me to the growing list of people with HDMI problems!, April 26, 2013
Had this receiver for roughly 1 year, and over the course of the last week, I have had intermittent problems with HDMI output to my TV. I have a DirecTv tuner, PS3 and XBox 360 all hooked up to the receiver, outputting HDMI up to the TV. This setup has worked fine in the past.

The intermittent problems are increasing to the point where a normal TV show is unwatchable. Forget playing a game or watching a movie. This happens on all sources with all devices, and the issue goes away when the source is hooked up directly to the TV over HDMI (isolating the receiver as the cause).

It is too bad, I liked the receiver and the price I paid for it (got it on super clearance at a big box store, I suspect I now know why). Money down the drain! I would have thought that a major name brand like Pioneer would not fail me like this, but here we are. Reading other reviews here, I can see it is time to cross Pioneer off my list.

FWIW, I bought this to replace an old Sony STR-K840P I ran for about 10 years with absolutely no problems. The only reason I stepped up to this receiver was because I added the Xbox 360 and ran out of HDMI inputs on my TV (was running all HDMIs to TV then optical out to receiver), so decided to "upgrade" to all HDMI. I wish I would have read the reviews here first!

EDIT: Not even 15 mins after I posted this review, I went to my receiver to hook back up the HDMI cables and just "live" with the problem until I return it to the Big Box store. I must have hurt the receiver's feelings with my review, because the receiver had completely given up the will to live. It was dead, and will not even power up. Dead. Deceased. An Ex-Receiver. No longer pining for the fjords. Bereft of life. 'e rests in peace.

I took the time to find my receipt... Nov-2011 to May-2013. 18 months. RIP

Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX Vehicle Navigation Dock with Rapid Vehicle Charger - Non-Retail Packaging - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Check your cables when you get your box!, October 6, 2012
Unfortunately, the USB cable that was included in the packaging was NOT the USB cable pictured in the description. The CORRECT USB cable has an additional dongle with a 3.5mm audio jack, so only one cable is connected to the dock itself and both audio and 750Ma of charge are carried by it. The cable that was included in the sealed box was the run-of-the-mill motorola USB cable that would only carry charge (and probably was a data cable limited to 500Ma, although I don't know that for sure).

I contacted Amazon Customer Service to see if the correct cable could be exchanged, however the ONLY remedy was to return the entire item and re-order. Customer Service was unable to assure that the next item shipped to me would not have the same issue, so now I play the waiting game to see if this was a simple packaging oversight or a systemic issue. Based upon my reading of recent reviews, it looks like others are receiving the correct USB cable, so here's hoping!

Oh, and the price jumped $12 since I ordered it... Fortunately I noticed while still in live chat with customer service and they issued me a credit to make up the difference.

If the next box arrives with an incorrect cable, I will NOT be a happy camper. However, if the next box arrives with the proper cables, I will revise this review and rate as appropriate, although I will still knock off one star for the hassle.

EDIT 10/09/2012 - Received new shipment of this product, the correct cable WAS in the box this time! Will further update once installed.
EDIT 10/14/2012 - Installed, works quite well. I have love/hate relationship with Motorola... I dislike how they have handled software issues (Motoblur, Music Player on DroidX2, Bionic/Atrix upgrade fiasco, locked bootloaders, etc.), but I have to say from a hardware perspective their stuff is first rate. The ability to have a single cable to the car dock with audio and charge carried by it is great! Motorola has clearly put a lot of thought into accessories for their phones.

Griffin PowerJolt Dual Universal Micro, Dual USB Car Charger (5 volts, 1 amp) - Car charger for two USB devices
Offered by Griffin Tech
Price: $19.44
5 used & new from $16.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the item it replaces! Great form factor and plenty of power!, November 18, 2010
I purchased this item to replace what looks like an older (and unsatisfactory) version of this product: Griffin Technology Powerjolt Dual Universal (Black). This new version has many benefits over the old... It does not work it's way out of the power socket like the old version, it is smaller, and it puts out more power (plenty to charge my DroidX which requires 850mA, this puts out 1A per socket).

I have been using it for a couple of months so far, and it's performed flawlessly.

EDIT 10/4/2012: I want to point out that I purchased a retail version from a big-box retailer, my review reflects my experience with the genuine product, and am not endorsing a specific seller here on Amazon. Looking over some of the recent reviews, there appears to be recent reports of counterfeit products being shipped by Amazon sellers! That is disappointing, please take this into consideration when purchasing!

FWIW, my original review is roughly two years old and the genuine product is still performing like a champ. Some other thoughts, my DroidX and X2 both charged at full power off of this, but my Galaxy Nexus dropped back into 500Ma range. I changed over to a Charge-Only USB cable (an alternative to cracking open the case and soldering the terminals) and charging resumed to a full 1000Ma of power.

Page: 1 | 2