Profile for L. A. Kane > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 796

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

L. A. Kane RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
How Do I Keep My Employees Motivated?: The Practice of Empathy-Based Management
How Do I Keep My Employees Motivated?: The Practice of Empathy-Based Management
Price: $6.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding and sorely needed advice, August 22, 2014
I've had plenty of bad bosses. Most everyone has, right? Heck, it weren't for the prevalence of horrible leaders Dilbert wouldn't be one of the bestselling, funniest cartoons in human history. How many times have you thought, "Scott Adams must work here" no matter what company you work for? While we cannot control what others do or attempt to do to us, we absolutely can and should do the right things when dealing with those over whom we exert influence. The challenge is that many don't know how. That, my friends, is where this wonderful book comes in.

Seriously, this is an outstanding and badly needed book. It teaches leaders (it's not just managers who can benefit but anyone in a leadership role at every level of any business or institution) how the brain functions, why empathy creates an environment in which employees can become fully engaged in work, how to empathize in a way that can become a source of emotional security and strength, how to become more empathic, and why an emotional bond with others creates sustainable motivation. After all, in an emotionally secure work environment where employees have steady, secure relationships with their supervisors and do not feel threatened by miscommunication or different points of view they can focus all their attention on business outcomes, solving problems, learning, growing, and ultimately being far more productive than those who waste energy on dysfunction in the workplace.

Self-evident, right? But, how do you do it?

Despite the fact that he's a college professor, Langelett's book isn't just academic theory. Iit provides practicable, actionable, real world advice for creating an emotionally secure work environment, giving hope, and helping people grow personally and professionally. Importantly it also teaches how to avoid common pitfalls in making this happen: non-empathetic behavior, accepting every employee for who he/she is, punishment vs. consequences, failure for holding each person accountable, managing manipulative people, attempting to become counselors rather than managers, and promoting people who cannot empathize into supervisory positions. And, it provides specific recommendations of how to practice empathy-based management principles to hold others accountable, deal with problems, practice patience, handle anger in the workplace, and overcome a host of other common challenges.

While the tone is a bit academic the materials are very approachable and sorely needed. Most books on motivation are too heavy on theory, over-philosophical, or simply don't work. This one does. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Lawrence Kane
Author of Sensei Mentor Teacher Coach: Powerful Leadership for Leaderless Times and ten other books

OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This practical beaker set is designed for measuring and pouring liquid ingredients for cooking or baking, with easily viewable fill lines. They're made of plastic and appear a bit on the flimsy side, but they've withstood a couple uses okay so I'm reasonably certain they'll last if you treat them gently. They stand upright by themselves, a critical feature when filling, and nest together to form a nice compact package. All in all it's a nice design, very practical. If you're an avid baker they're awesome. For other types of cooking they're definitely useful.

Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers
Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers
Price: $99.00
19 used & new from $84.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The PC speakers available for the money, August 15, 2014
I've made due with an inexpensive pair of Logitec speakers for years, but recently bought a nice set of headphones. The difference in sound quality between the two was stark, making me realize how much I was missing when listening to music or watching movies on my PC. I wanted better sound but was still on a budget. After scrutinizing several options I found that for $100 these speakers are the best available value by far. They sound amazing, particularly given their small size and lack of a designated sub-woofer. And, there's a headphone port when needed too. Setup was a breeze. All I had to do was unpack the components, attach a couple of cables (which were included), and plug them in.

ReVIVE Multimedia USB Car Charger & Adapter PowerUP 4P w/ Dual DC & Universal USB Charging Ports - Works With Apple , Samsung , HTC , Sony , Beltronics and More Phones , MP3 Players & Radar Detectors
Offered by AndrewSet
Price: $24.99
3 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ugly but highly functional, August 15, 2014
Given other reviews there must be inconsistent build quality for these chargers. Perhaps I got lucky, but the one I received is excellent. I've had no problems in the 3 months I've owned/used it. I'm able to charge two cellphones (Android devices), while simultaneously running a Garmin GPS with no problems or issues. It fits snugly in the power port, adjusts readily, and stays in place once I've got it where I like it. Although it's a bit on the bulky side, I really appreciate the on/off switch too, as the accessory ports on my truck are still powered when the engine is not running. I had to remember to unplug my older charging station to avoid running down my battery, so this is a massive improvement for that feature alone.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Price: $251.99
64 used & new from $201.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor yet, August 14, 2014
I do a fair amount of commercial sports photography and needed a larger, higher resolution monitor with excellent clarity and true color. After much research I decided that the 24" Dell UltraSharp fit the bill perfectly. After a week of using it I'm convinced that the monitor performs exactly as described. It has a 16:10 panel, IPS technology, and LED back-light. Further, it has the largest range of adjustability and widest viewing angle I've seen yet. And, it's environmentally friendly. I'm very pleased with this purchase.

Headlamp LED | New! SportsTek Lightwear 4-in-1 | Multi-Function Capability - Outdoor/Indoor, Water Resistant, FREE eBook, 220 Lumens, Zoomable - For Hiking, Biking, Kids, Reading, Military, Camping, Grilling, Backpacking, Auto Repair & More. Provides Safety and Security - Fits Around Head, Helmet, Bike or Belt.
Offered by SportsTek Online
Price: $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical and well made, August 6, 2014
As an avid outdoors-man I've owned a a lot of headlamps. They're invaluable for nighttime activities like working on a vehicle or RV, changing flat tires, setting up camp, traversing trails, finding a hunting blind, cleaning fish or game, and all sorts of two-hand tasks where you need good light but don't have electricity. This one not only comes with a headband, but also a bike handle mount in case you'd find that option useful (which I don't need, but it does appear to be well made). With your order SportsTek e-mails you a PDF owners manual as well as free E-Book, "Surviving the Wild Outdoors," a nice surprise. It's filled with useful information too. Sooo, how's this one work? Extraordinarily well, actually. At 220 lumans it's by far the brightest headlamp I've owned, equal to most tactical lights I've carried but far longer lasting with 4 AA batteries. And you can dial it down if you need to. It's lightweight but sturdily built too. The headband is relatively comfortable and stays in place well, even if you're moving around quite a bit, though you definitely know that the battery pack is there after 1/2 hour or so. If you're a spelunker it should easily attach to a helmet, offering outstanding visibility and better comfort. I'm very pleased with this headlamp--the quality and design are top notch. Recommended!

Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Universal Docking Station for Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP (HDMI and DVI/ VGA to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 20W Power Adapter)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $89.00
5 used & new from $49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome accessory, August 6, 2014
I bought a new Toshiba laptop and wanted to be able to easily connect it to the monitor, keyboard, speakers, backup drives, and scanner that I used to use with my old PC. Pulgable made it easy. Before the product even arrived they sent an e-mail with links to the driver set. I downloaded the drivers (I'm running Windows 8.1) ahead of time, so unwrapping the device and setting it up took seconds. Seriously, less than a minute. It integrates everything and works flawlessly. It also comes with all the necessary cables and is much cheaper than the competing Toshiba product. There are two versions, one that runs a single monitor and one that works for two (given space constraints I chose the former and use the laptop itself whenever I need a second screen). I'm very happy with this purchase.

Offered by Bosvision USA
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What an awesome idea!, August 4, 2014
What an awesome idea... I really wish that I'd come up with it. My new laptop generates some serious heat when it really gets cranking. And, it sits so flat that it is unergonomic to type on too. This folding stand is the perfect two birds, one stone solution. It assures proper airflow while simultaneously making it much easier to type. And, unlike most cooling stands it easily folds down to fit in my laptop bag when I'm not using it. It's so good that I bought a second one to use with my laptop at work too. My home laptop is 15.9" while my work device is 17" and the stand works perfectly with either device.

Genuine Toshiba 19V 6.32A 120W PA-1121-04 PA3717E-1AC3 Replace For *Toshiba Satellite L500D L500D-ST2531 L500D-ST5501 L500D-ST5600; *Toshiba Satellite L505 L505-S6951 L505-S6955 L505-S6956 L505-S6959 L505-S5964 L505-S5966 L505-S5967 L505-S5969This item 100% Fits with Part Numbers:PA3717U-1ACA,PA3717E-1AC3,ADP-120ZB AB,PA3381U-1ACA,PA3381E-1ACA,PA3290U-2ACA,PA3290E-1ACA,PA3290E-2ACA,PA5083U-1ACA,PA3290U-3ACA.
Offered by Laptop Parts Inc.
Price: $22.99
4 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect match for the Toshiba Satellite P50T, August 4, 2014
Based on the markings and packaging this almost certainly is an actual OEM power adapter. I got it to go with my new laptop Toshiba Satellite P50T 15.6" IPS Ultra HD 4K (3840x2160) Technicolor Touchscreen Premium Edition Notebook PC (Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad Core CPU, 2GB AMD R9 M265X GDDR5 GPU, Blu-Ray Burner, 16GB DDR3L RAM, Intel Dual Band AC Wireless, MASSIVE 2TB Hard D..., thinking it was the same one that came with the device but as things turn out it's not. It's actually better (beefier, generates less heat). And fully compatible. My guess is that it's for an older device that's more of a power hog, but it doesn't really matter. This one goes with the docking station while the slightly smaller, lighter one that came with the laptop stays in my computer bag.

Toshiba Satellite P50T 15.6" IPS Ultra HD 4K (3840x2160) Technicolor Touchscreen Premium Edition Notebook PC (Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad Core CPU, 2GB AMD R9 M265X GDDR5 GPU, Blu-Ray Burner, 16GB DDR3L RAM, Intel Dual Band AC Wireless, MASSIVE 2TB Hard Drive, Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 5)
Offered by Eluktronics Inc.
Price: $1,899.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding laptop with incredible screen resolution, August 1, 2014
Before I start though, kudos to the Eluktronics for amazing customer service. I ordered the laptop a week before it came out and chose to pay (a lot) extra for one day shipping to be sure I got it before leaving on a business trip. To my surprise it showed up a day after my order. Thankfully I was home as it arrived signature required. Soooo, despite the fact that it isn't officially released until next week I've already had a couple days to play with it. You can read all the tech specs, stuff like the massive 2 TB hard drive and maxed out memory, so I'll ignore most of that and just speak to using the device.

It's awesome. Seriously. Nicely ergonomic, amazing screen resolution (so much so I felt compelled to buy a new monitor to have comparable resolution when it's docked), not too heavy, solidly built as I have come to expect from Toshiba, and screaming fast. It took a full day to reinstall software (which I transferred from my old Win 7 device so I had to re-buy some stuff, though it did come with the full version of Adobe Lightroom 5 which was a nice surprise as that's not in the product description) and transfer files from my old PC, but initial setup of the machine was a breeze. Everything worked perfectly. The speakers are terrific for a laptop, but nothing exceptional compared to purpose built, so I tend to use my headphones and also set up a docking station (Plugable UD-3900 USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station with Dual Video Outputs for Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP (HDMI and DVI/ VGA to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power Adapter)) to link to my external keyboard, backup devices, and some good speakers (Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers).

The touchscreen helps me take best advantage of Win 8.1 which I don't actually hate as much as I thought I would... in fact it's kinda growing on me. Microsquish has some good "how to" overview videos (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/resources-and-tools/default.aspx) that helped me make the most of it quickly. The only downside is that it generates a LOT of heat when it really gets cranking (lots of simultaneous programs, watching movies, or the like), so I'm not sure I'd really like using it on my lap (though I rarely do that anyway), but with a simple raised stand (Ergonomic Aluminium Portable Foldable Cooling X-Stand for 12"-17" Laptops, Notebook PC, MacBook) I get plenty of airflow and have no worries of it overheating.

After loading software and transferring files, my first big project was processing a couple thousand photos from my son's football camp. This application really highlighted the capabilities I was looking for in this laptop. No challenges whatsoever in importing massive raw photos and editing them via Lightroom and/or Photoshop (I primarily use Lightroom but for some applications I finish the work in Photoshop). The amazing screen resolution and accurate color rendering made a huge difference in speeding my workflow and assuring solid results. Professional and amateur photographers alike should be quite happy with it.

All in all this is a really great device that I'm sure I'll be using for a very long time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20