Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for wdwpsu > Reviews

Browse

wdwpsu's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

wdwpsu "wdwpsu" RSS Feed (Orlando, Florida)

Page: 1 | 2
P.S. (a Toad retrospective)
P.S. (a Toad retrospective)
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A greatest hits that doesn't work., March 17, 2015
As a Toad fan for years, I was a bit let down by this one. I've had it for years and everytime I go back to it, I feel, "Meh".. Toad albums work better in an album format. This greatest hits collection just doesn't flow the way their albums do.
Do yourself a favor and don't buy this and instead pick up Fear, Pale and Dulcinea. You'll thank me.

Shooting in Sh*tty Light: The Top Ten Worst Photography Lighting Situations and How to Conquer Them
by Lindsay Renee Adler
Price: $26.48
50 used & new from $17.34

1.0 out of 5 stars *AVOID* the Kindle Version, December 12, 2012
Seems to be a great book, but the Kindle version is atrocious. Pictures don't line up with the captions. Pictures related to topics talked about 3 or 4 pages back, so you have to keep flipping back and forth. Very disappointing. I really want to read this book, but it's too painful. I hope they correct this issue. And, as much as I'd consider buying the paperback, it would burn me to have to buy this book twice..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 8:10 PM PDT

Speck Products SmartShell, Lightweight, Ultra-Thin Case for iPad 2 - Black (SPK-A0432)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does *NOT* Work with the New iPad, April 27, 2012
I read many reviews on here saying that it works with the new iPad. Well, it didn't..

I contacted Speck directly and they sent the following response:

It is true the SmartShell for the iPad2 is not going to fit the New iPad. We are working on a SmartShell for the new iPad right now and hope to offer it very soon. Please keep an eye on us or sign up for our newsletter emails on our homepage. Thank you for contacting us!

Incase CL57969 Mag Snap Case for iPad 2
Incase CL57969 Mag Snap Case for iPad 2

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I'm picky..., March 31, 2012
I really liked this case and have enjoyed it. But, the darned magnet won't stay on. The glue isn't as strong as the magnet. So, now I have glue and a magnet stuck to my smart cover.
I saw others "take off 1 star" because they experienced this situation. I feel that for the price of this, I don't want to be supergluing something back together again. It's going back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 10:24 AM PDT

The Digital Photography Book, Part 4
The Digital Photography Book, Part 4
by Scott Kelby
Price: $16.99
81 used & new from $2.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on Track!!, March 9, 2012
Several years ago I wrote a review on Scott's Digital Photography Book, Volume 3. I gave it a 3 star rating and spoke as to how disappointed I was.

I decided to buy Part 4 based on my experience with Volumes 1 and 2(Okay, naming is a little weird.. Volume vs. Part). I have to say, we're back on track. Again, a great educational tool full of many different tips. His writing style is and always has been very easy to read. The book isn't about amazing images, but the images he uses sum up the points he is making in the book.

One could say he's "Name dropping" a little. But, I took at as Scott properly crediting some of the greatest photographers out there with many incredibly useful tips.

As with all of these books, there may be pages that don't pertain to you. But, everyone from a novice to a seasoned photographer will learn something from this book.

Highly recommended.

Kevin Kubota?s Lighting Notebook: 101 Lighting Styles and Setups for Digital Photographers
by Kevin Kubota
Price: $27.88
55 used & new from $6.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, November 26, 2011
I'm surprised with all of these 5 star reviews that there isn't one negative review. While this book is great at showing off lighting techniques (And why I gave it 2 instead of 1 star)... This book is also a giant ad for Kubota actions. Buying Kevin Kubota's dashboard, lightroom presets, and photoshop actions (also available at his website) end up costing you hundreds of additional hours to achieve the look of the images in this book.

So, if you already are waist deep in Kubota's tools, fantastic, buy this book. You'll soar.

If you are new to photography, or just looking for an affordable path to make your photos better, I'd avoid this.. As, you are being led down a very expensive path from the author.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 11:50 AM PST

Captured: Lessons from Behind the Lens of a Legendary Wildlife Photographer (Voices That Matter)
by B. Peterson
22 used & new from $3.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Stories - Great Pictures - Awful Publishing, October 13, 2010
When Moose announced this book, I preordered it immediately. He's a great story teller. If you ever have the chance to hear him speak, do. His pictures are also amazing at telling stories as well. This book is a very nice read too, sprinkled with many different great stories.

It's definitely not an f/stop and shutter speed book. It's part photography, part life, and part nature. Which is what Moose is about. He'd rather help a biologist than sell a print.

However, my issue with this book lies in the publishing. This almost could be a coffee table book with these great images. Instead, these great images, some of which I have seen before, are very dissapointing. The book is published on a very flat paper, and in many cases the pictures are either very dark or washed out.

I'm hoping they fix this in a subsequent printings. But, for a $50 book, I expected better quality than this.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2010 11:56 AM PDT

Captured by the Light: The Essential Guide to Creating Extraordinary Wedding Photography
by David Ziser
Price: $42.07
68 used & new from $11.28

5.0 out of 5 stars An imperfect, but still a 5 star book, March 4, 2010
I'm going to start with the biggest negative on this book and then explain why I gave it 5 stars. The author is almost always discussing every shot with at least 1 or 2 assistants. If you are shooting with 2 assistants, you probably aren't the type of person to be buying an educational book. For the lone shooters out there, this book makes one wish they had the assistants.

With that said, this book is fantastic. David Ziser is one of the best educators around and not only explains everything in a way that is easy to understand, he will explain it in fine detail. Most photographers are guarded when they discuss their techniques. I feel that half of them are afraid of competition and the other half are saving stuff for the "next book". Not here. This book goes in to finest detail and is THE MUST HAVE book for wedding photography. I wouldn't limit it to wedding photography either, as it's actually one of the better portrait photography books I've encountered.

One thing the book is not, is a guide to how to lurk in the weeds and capture the wedding completly like a photojournalist. But, as the author makes clear, nobody purchases pictures of the backs of people's heads anyway.

This is my 4th or 5th wedding photography book I've purchased. And, quite frankly, the only one that is worth keeping now that I have Mr. Ziser's book is the one by Neil VanNiekerk. Partially, because he also left nothing behind and gave up all of his secrets. And, partially because he explains the speedlite / single camera flash techniques in much more detail than David Ziser did.

The only other way, aside from buying this book to get the information contained, is by having the decades of experience that the author does.

Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera Body Only (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Photo4Less
Price: $909.95
81 used & new from $450.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Canon 7D is a 5 Star Camera, January 12, 2010
I intentionally waited before reviewing this camera. When it first came out, I was a little dissapointed. Not so much with the camera, but with the typical industry adoption rate. Lack of Adobe Lightroom support on Day 1, was a very painful price of being an early adopter.
Having had this camera now for several months, I have to say it's got everything I need it for and more. I use it for weddings, portraits, wildlife, sports and video, and it doesn't skip a beat. This is by far the most versatile camera out there. True, the 5DMk2 may take better images when you zero in on the pixels, but this is VERY close behind that. And, the 5dMK2 won't give me the high FPS that I need for sports and wildlife photography, not to mention how amazing the focus is on this camera.
I think the only thing "wrong" with this camera is the price. Canon easily could have charged more for it!

Opteka External Flash Battery Pack for Canon 580EX, 580EX II, 550EX, 540EZ, MR-14EX, & MT-24EX Speedlite Flash Units

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job, October 9, 2009
It does it's job...give your flash a little extra. And it's cheap. However, it's not great. Has a loud humming sound and gets warm. No way to turn it off. And with the batteries in the thing, you practically need a hammer to close the door on the darn thing.

Page: 1 | 2