Profile for Brian K. Klein > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian K. Klein RSS Feed (Houston Tx)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Nikon D610 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Nikon D610 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Price: $1,896.95
44 used & new from $1,488.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Business Move by Nikon, October 31, 2013
I have this camera, it's the D610-10. It's no wonder Nikon's profits were below expectations the past couple of years. They're saturating the market with tons of the same cameras, not offering support to retain their customers, and light years away from having as good video quality as Canon, Panasonic, or even Sony.

There were so many complaints about the D600 having problems... why discontinue it and rebadge it as a 610? To "solve" the spots issue? This only proves further that Nikon is at fault with the engineering and manufacturing of this camera.

Technically my score is 0/5 but Amazon only allows 1/5 at the lowest. Would not recommend to anyone. Please try Canon or Sony (since the Nikon sensors are designed by Sony anyways).
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 9:28 PM PST

Nikon D600 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Nikon D600 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by Circuit Street
Price: $1,549.09
36 used & new from $1,099.95

3.0 out of 5 stars The Love/Hate Relationship, October 16, 2013
I like full frame cameras that have excellent picture and video quality*. That is definitely this camera. However, its not perfect. Would I recommend it? No.

Here's why:
1. The hardly acknowledged sensor issue. The sensor issue can get really bad. I was lucky to have only suffered about 1-3 spots and can clean it out, but it keeps returning. Nikon hardly acknowledged this problem until months and months of selling the D600. I have yet to verify if there was ever a fix for this.

2. The "fix" is a new model dubbed the 610 with like 2 features that differ from this model but everybody knows its all about the fixed shutter to prevent spots. The value of the d600 has dropped and if previous owners want to trade, its gonna cost another $500-1000. Might as well have bought a d800. Real smooth business there, Nikon. Though my problems are minor compared to others, it feels like D600 owners have been rubbed the wrong way. I have concluded I will not buy another Nikon and am considering jumping to another brand. Just because of this.

3.Crippling features that gives the D7000 an advantage over this camera such as slower flash sync speed, slower max shutter speed, and slower continuous burst rate. Why did I trade it?

Ironically though, the body is built well. Mine feels more solid than the D3000, D5000, D80, D90, and D7000.

*the potential for good image or video quality is pretty much ruined by spots. I start seeing them at least around f/5. I have a list of things to avoid shooting with this camera to save myself the trouble of trying to edit it:
The sky
Sunset
Sunrise
Clouds
Water
Walls

If there were some sort of resolution that was agreeable, I would recommend this camera. It's a great camera for masochists. I do love my camera, no argument there, I just disagree with Nikon's direction in handling this whole fiasco. Bad business. Shame on you, Nikon.

Final thoughts: Due the announcement of the D610, the price of the D600 has dropped dramatically. Therefore I cannot get any return value for my camera, and realized it is literally a dead weight. In an effort to get something for it, I have listed it on ebay as a paperweight for about 1/1000th of the price. Then I figured it would only put unwanted spots in someone's workspace and unlisted it to avoid bad customer feedback.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 7:21 AM PDT

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
47 used & new from $197.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Always handy, October 13, 2013
Pretty much every photographer should have a 50mm lens. The 50mm 1.4d is my choice hands down.

Image:
It is sharp. Sharper than my 50mm 1.8d and 85mm 1.8d. Has better blurry bits in shallow depth of field than those lenses too (speaking from my general observations with my lenses). When shooting at 1.4, I see chromatic abberations, but it doesnt bother me. That is expexted with high aperture lenses. The diaphram blades are not rounded, which is good for sunstars but bokeh is not well rounded at f/2, 2.8, 4, etc. I feel that there is a little bit of distortion but not too bad.

Friendly tip: If you want to shoot at f/1.4-2.8 during the day, I recommend getting an nd filter to prevent blowouts. If I am shooting at a high aperture with flash or outdoors during the day (not a great idea), I have to be careful about that.

Build:
Tough plastics. Metal mount. Light and easy to handle.

Price:
Highly valuable in my opinion. Not as valuable as the 50mm 1.8d because that lens is cheaper. However, compared to other high aperture lenses, this one is priced well.

I would highly recommend this lens. Definitely my choice of 50mm lenses. If you are on a budget, there is nothing wrong with the 1.8d version. But if you can afford it, this lens is well worth it.

Sony NEX-5N 16.1 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Touchscreen Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Black)
27 used & new from $314.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Got it used, October 1, 2013
Living, working, and traveling abroad for the past few years, I sought to capture my experiences to rub in people's faces on the interwebs. I was in the market for a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, after my compact camera broke, my DSLR was too heavy with expensive lenses, and my phone camera wasn't cutting it.

Admittedly, at first I was only interested in the micro four thirds market. They had a lot of lenses, were affordable, and looked nice. Fujifilm's x series were sleek, classy, and sexy but came with a high price that I wasn't willing to pay. I did consider the Sony NEX series, but shrugged it off because of the price (at the time the kits that caught my eye were sub $1,000). I also laughed at how it looked (I know... shallow). While browsing for a new camera in Seoul, I was unsatisfied with every camera/price I found until I came across a used white Sony NEX 5n with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens for about $200 less than a new model. It was a no-brainer, especially because it out specs most of the mirrorless competition.

The Good:
The sensor - APS-C sized, digital dx DSLR quality sensor at 16.1 MP, could possibly be the same or similar to the one in my old Nikon D7000. Performance is great, colors, low light, ISO, WB, dynamic range and picture quality are all solid. All the important stuff about being a camera is just fantastic. The 1.5x crop factor is useful to me. My current dslr is full frame, and I wanted a little more reach, yet I wanted to avoid having too much lens distortion on the wide end. For example, a micro four thirds camera has about 2x magnification due to its sensor size. A 14mm lens would equal 28mm on a full frame. Thats the equivalent of 21mm on this camera. Therefore, if one were interested in wider angles with less distortion, the NEX sensor size is a better choice in regards to mirrorless. Not to mention the low light performance and shallow depth of field would appear better on a bigger sensor (theoretically).

The lens - This model comes with the 18-55mm zoom, not to be confused with the flatter motorized 16-50mm zoom. For a kit lens, I am impressed. The metal construction is great. It seems pretty sharp, and CAs and distortion are not bad.

Video quality - Maybe this is my favorite thing about this camera. High quality, continuous focus, and really fun to use.

Build quality - This tiny body with tilting touch lcd screen can survive a fall from about 3 or 4 feet high and land flat on the screen and be okay. I know because it happened to me by accident within the first week of ownership. No problem at all. It feels solid, the lens is metal, and it is very light.

Speed - This camera is capable of continuosly taking photos faster than my dslr. That's great for the panoramic mode, HDR mode, or sports.

The gimmicks - Yes, the art filters, hdr mode, panoramic mode, and tilting toucnscreen are fun. In fact, I love it even though it's kind of a gimmick.

The so-so:
Screen tilt - It barely tilts enough to be of any real use to me. Newer models, like 5T fully tilt so you can do selfies.

Touch screen - Using it to focus is cool. That's about it. You can use it for menu options but the font is tiny and its easier for me to click the actual buttons right next to it.

Attachable flash - Some love it, some hate it, I don't care.

The lens - It is a great kit lens, but pretty standard. You won't get crazy wide angles or long telephoto with super shallow depth of field with it. Although it has pretty close focus. Other lenses are available, but not a lot. You can pay a boatload of cash for an adapter and pay another boatload of cash to use Sony Alpha dslr lenses. That is kind of cool, but pricey.

The body - The camera body is small, sleek, and built well. However, it looks weird to me. The lens looks like it is hulking out and the hand grip, while useful, isn't pretty. I think the camera and lens looks comical.

The menus - They make sense, but for the sake of simplicity with the button layout, sometimes you have to go in and out of the menus to get the settings you want. Not exactly efficient, but at least the menus are not hard to navigate or use.

The Bad:
Battery life - Perhaps I am spoiled, but when I go out for a whole day of shooting pictures and video, I expect the battery to last the whole day. Luckily, I bought an extra battery as back up and that solves it. If I were just shooting pictures, it would last a few days, but the video is so good I can't resist.

Microphone - This bugs me the most. Indoors in a quiet home, the mic is fine. All other situations require better options, and only the overpriced Sony proprietary crap external mic is available because of their weird attachment. That drives me up the wall, but Sony's proprietary crap is a whooole other story, and this is a photo camera first, not primarily for video.

No hot shoe - Not a huge deal for me, but once again Sony proprietary connections forces you to buy their flashes if you want other flash options.

Missed AF/Softness - This is sort of a common issue with these cameras. I am not sure if it is one or the other, but sometimes it seems the AF is a little bit off. Maybe its because of the high res sensor and the lens requires focus tuning or something. It doesn't happen to a lot of photos, but does happen. I just try to refocus, adjust my angle, and lighting if needed. You don't have to be a pixel-peeper to notice either....

Conclusion:
I love this camera and would not return it or trade it for another mirrorless camera. I dare say it is one of the best mirrorless cameras you can get. The Sony proprietary connections are pretty annoying, along with the focus issue, and it is not the prettiest camera (I would rate it 3.5 stars honestly because of these factors). Those things aside, it is solid. Pictures and video do look great, and I love the way it handles. I would highly recommend it to those inquiring about it, but acknowledge it is not for everyone. My friends who are hardcore photography nuts admit they are impressed with the Sony NEX 5n, but would never buy one. I am happy with it, and look forward to every chance to use it in the future.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 8:39 AM PDT

Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: Click here to see our price
12 used & new from $339.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive; Affordable (used), April 12, 2013
I thought I was a lens snob and scoffed at zoom lenses, but I actually like this lens. The zoom range and aperture range is useful, especially on a full frame. Bokeh is nice, rounded, and non distracting, though not exactly smooth and creamy. Distortion is a little funny at the wide end, but doesnt bother me. Build seems sturdy, though plastic. The macro function is satisfiable, however I dont use it enough to have much of an opinion. AF response is also good. This lens is applicable in nearly any shooting condition, except for one thing. It has no VR, so its a little more challenging to use hand held in low light or for video. Not a big deal, but if buying this lens new, the VR version is near the same price and worth considering.

Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone w/Mount
Rode VideoMic Directional Video Condenser Microphone w/Mount
Offered by TheImagingWorld
Price: $149.00
17 used & new from $139.00

3.0 out of 5 stars From Dud to Stud, October 23, 2012
This is my experience averaged from two Rode VideoMics.

Negative:
-the first mic I got had an overwhelmingly loud buzzing noise, brand new out of the package. Lost a whole day of shooting.
-Seems a little too sensitive combined with a D7000, I had to tune the audio settings down to the lowest on the camera. At the loudest settings, it was getting pretty harsh and distorted.
-not exactly a negative because this is a MULTI-DIRECTIONAL mic, but in a noisy environment (like a subway station) it picks up the background noise really well, drowning out the subject in front of the camera trying to speak. Even with the high pass filter on. For this type of shooting, a boom mic would be more adequate.
-Construction feels weak

Positive:
-Works great in general, especially outside
-High pass filter is really useful for helping isolate audio from background noise
-the shock mount is great for reducing noises from vibrations
-light weight

Basic description. It's a multidirectional mic that mounts right on top of the camera. It's cable is just long enough to reach the audio input of the camera, but if you want to mount it on something else (i.e. an L-bracket), you'll need a longer cable. The audio input doesn't sound professional combined with a Nikon D7000, but it's definitely good. It takes a 9 volt battery which seems to last forever. If you want sound that pics up better on your subject, get a boom mic. So far, it's worked great indoors, outdoors in a park, or getting footage of a scene. It picks up everything pretty well. Definitely recommend it over the built in camera mic. I'm not sure or familiar with any other DSLR mics, but I find that the quality of sound, the shock mount, and usefulness is worth buying it if you want to take video.

Neewer 110CM 43-Inch 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector
Neewer 110CM 43-Inch 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector
Price: $18.95
14 used & new from $13.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much awesome, August 10, 2012
Its as big and as useful as i hoped for. Easy to pack and carry, excellent output and value. I would recommend any photographer to at least pick up one of these for lighting modification at a great price. Highly satisfied...

33" Double Layer Black & Silver Black/silver Photo Studio Umbrella Photo Video Reflector, LimoStudio
Price: $9.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, August 10, 2012
Very nice for lighting. Sturdy and big enough for the little output I have. I would definitely like to get a larger one to combine with more powerful lighting. I thought it would be a tad bigger and feel like this size is the smallest I would really work with, without being too small. I am definitely satisfied and would recommend it.

10 x 20 ft. Photo Studio White Muslin Backdrop + 10 x 10 ft. NEW Muslin Protector Kit, LimoStudio
Price: $30.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Big, August 10, 2012
I misunderstood this to be a kit, assuming it might include some stands, but it didnt (I was incorrect). Its so large I think it would take a pretty large and steady set up to support it. I went with the cheap route and hung it via rope at first.

It's big and useful. No complaints really. The product is basically a backdrop and a cover.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 12:14 AM PDT

LimoStudio-Photography Photo Portrait Studio 600W Day Light Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit
Price: $38.00
2 used & new from $38.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginner material, August 10, 2012
Would recommend this for the stands and umbrellas. It is pretty sturdy and easy to set up. However, it left me desiring higher output. I combined it with a strobe, higher output bulbs, a softbox, reflector, and silver umbrella for a pretty nice combo. It works fine for some fairly basic photography experiments at home. However, I wouldn't really recommend it for professional work with just this kit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2014 6:40 PM PST