Profile for Matt E. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matt E. RSS Feed (Knoxville, TN)

Page: 1 | 2
Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera
Price: $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it as long as you don't need the electronics or leaf shutter in the Pentax adapter, January 16, 2015
So far I'm quite satisfied with this adapter. It feels very solid and mounts reasonably well. There is a tiny amount of play in the mount to the camera, but not enough to concern me.

The adapter has indeed been updated and is all black inside and has a little ring and lever to allow use of the aperture on lenses without an aperture dial. This ring is stepless and completely unmarked, so there is a slight learning curve to hitting appropriate aperture settings if the lens doesn't have an aperture ring. If you are using a lens with an aperture ring, however, you can twist the ring on the adapter to open the lens aperture all the way up during focusing and then just twist it all the way the other direction to quickly return to your selected aperture.

This adapter is definitely worth adding to your kit if you want to play with mounting K mount glass on your q mount cameras, but don't want to sink $200 on the Pentax adapter just yet. In fact, unless you really need the electronics and shutter in the Pentax, I'd go so far as to say this is all you really need. I would like to have seen a better effort on packaging and maybe a set of caps included with the adapter, but overall I'm well pleased.

Ravelli APGL5 Professional 65" Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag
Offered by SPN Performance
Price: $52.69
3 used & new from $47.42

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a gamble that could pay off, but probably won't, December 30, 2014
I've owned this tripod for about 5 minutes, so don't take this as a long term review. This tripod seems like it can be a decent performing tripod for $40, but getting a good copy is going to be a crap shoot. The materials aren't terrible, but they aren't particularly high quality either; they are on par with most sub-$50 tripods.

The strange part, to me at least, is they ship it with one leg basically disassembled and only half the tools necessary to actually finish the assembly. Did they just run out of time at the factory? Surely it's not solely to hang a tag in the hole? In any case, this will be a source of frustration for you and only serves to highlight the cheapness of the materials as the button on the leg broke and one of the screws stripped out during assembly. It still functioned well enough that I considered keeping it, until I discovered the plastic lock for the center column was also broken. I decided to return it.

I may give this one another try, just to confirm my suspicions that this can be a decent budget tripod if you get a good copy, but certainly don't buy this tripod if you are looking for a reliable, high-quality set of legs. If you really only have $40 you can probably do worse, just know you're going to invest a lot of time and energy waiting and searching for a good copy that isn't broken right out of the box.

ZAGG Original Invisibleshield for iPhone 5/5s/5c (Screen)
ZAGG Original Invisibleshield for iPhone 5/5s/5c (Screen)
Offered by 6goodeals
Price: $13.50
38 used & new from $4.20

2.0 out of 5 stars Great as long as you don't care about alignment., November 4, 2014
The process and the tools with this kit work well enough, but I think Zagg may need to investigate whatever machine is cutting these things out. I swear I've seen the worst Chinese knock-off screen protectors line up better than these. If the holes were actually cut at the correct places, this would be a very solid 4 or 5 star product. As it is, I'll give them two stars for providing a decent set of tools for installing a much cheaper knock-off.

Kamor® Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 6 ft with Audio Support- Thunderbolt Compatible with Gold Plated Connect (Male-Male) for Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and Microsoft Surface Pro - High Quality ABS Plastic Housing - in Retail Packaging(White)
Offered by YoSpace
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, excellent quality, October 31, 2014
The cable works well and the quality is excellent. I have only one complaint—the plastic housing on the HDMI end is really long, which causes some issues with connecting it to certain displays. I wasn't prepared for how long it really is. If your HDMI connection is located anywhere near the stand or perhaps recessed into the display, you might also need a right angle adapter or one of those little short extenders like that ship with the Chromecast.

BATTOP Ultra Slim Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air / iPad Air 2 / iPad mini 3 / iPad Mini 2 / iPad Mini / iPad 4 / iPad 3 / iPad 2 / Galaxy Tab and Galaxy Note or other Tablets(IOS,Window, Android)
Offered by BATTOP
Price: $9.69
6 used & new from $9.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a cheap Bluetooth keyboard that works, October 31, 2014
Let me start by saying I know it's a cheap Bluetooth keyboard. It works and the connection is stable. I can't fault them on that part. Unfortunately, the build quality is fairly poor; the keys are clacky and I'm don't anticipate a great deal of longevity out of this keyboard. I struggled with the rating, but I opted to bump them up from 3 to 4 stars based on the 13 dollar price tag.

BlueRigger Mini DisplayPort (Mini DP) | Thunderbolt to DVI Male Adapter Cable (6 Feet)
Offered by BlueRigger
Price: $29.99
14 used & new from $8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works and seems well made, October 31, 2014
Works like a charm. Seems to be well built and does the job as advertised. Can't really ask for more.

QVS USB-PS2Y USB to Dual PS/2 "Y" Converter ( PC, Mac & Sun )
QVS USB-PS2Y USB to Dual PS/2 "Y" Converter ( PC, Mac & Sun )
Offered by Everydaysource
Price: $2.94
5 used & new from $2.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but with caveats, October 31, 2014
If all you need is something to convert between PS2 and USB to run a keyboard and mouse in Windows, this will serve you well enough. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow you to use the keyboard until Windows is actually booted, so you can't access the BIOS. Additionally, I found sometimes the keyboard would lag or skip keystrokes altogether.

All told for 3 bucks you can do worse, but it's not a 5 star product.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not going to replace a real camera, but good., July 16, 2013
Item arrived more or less as pictured, but it did not come in the iPhone-esque box. Otherwise, the case was better than expected--it fit my phone well and the lens stayed firmly connected even while focusing. Even better, there is enough space to super glue the little metal rings for the magnetic mount lenses and still mount the telephoto with no problems.

The tripod is thoroughly average, but does its job. The bag and lens cloth are as expected--made of fabric--what more can you say about them? The tripod mount is functional and good enough for general use, but its hold is not terribly secure. I mean, I wouldn't use it to attach the phone to a car or anything, but I shook it around some and my phone didn't go anywhere. It is worth noting I had my phone in the provided case at the time; the hold is much less secure with just a naked iPhone.

I've left the lens until last, because I've not had a chance to really test it out. I can tell you from the quick shots I've taken so far it is definitely not competing with even the most budget SLR lenses, but it is passable. Sharpness is very weak around the edges and there's a slight vignetting on my iPhone 4 in stills mode, but it looks pretty sharp in the center. Overall it is a fun toy and, in light of the price, not a bad deal. Just don't expect you're going to replace any cameras.

In all, I'm pleased, but your mileage may vary. It seems like no two boxes (or non-boxes as the case may be) are the same. In fact, there was a pack of miscellaneous hardware in the bag with my stuff that definitely doesn't go with this. This is all your typical mass-produced Chinese kit, so quality control is likely low and you risk getting some duds (or extra/missing parts). That said, I'm hard-pressed to find anything truly bad with this kit as I received it. Well, okay, the instructions are abysmal.

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR/DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black
AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR/DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black
Price: $29.99
10 used & new from $25.25

2.0 out of 5 stars It made it through the trip, October 16, 2012
I bought this bag to carry my gear on a week-long trip. I had grown out of my small shoulder bag and this looked perfect for what I was planning to carry. In fact, it was perfect. I got my DSLR and 3 lenses, a couple of small HD video cameras, some audio gear, and all the batteries, cards, and filters I have in the bag; It all easily fit with no need to cram anything in. I was even able to strap a tripod on the side. Everything seemed to have a place and when I left I was really pleased with the bag.

I spent the week shooting and the bag did the job, but it was starting to come apart by the end of the week. By the time I got back home, I was really unhappy with the condition the bag was in, in spite of the way I babied it once I noticed the straps were pulling apart. Needless to say, I returned the bag to Amazon, who happily refunded me. The moral of the story is, if you don't have much gear (i.e., half what Amazon says this bag will carry) this bag will serve you well. Otherwise, look for something else.

Rather than getting a replacement, I took the money and bought a more expensive bag that better met my needs and has lasted me many trips--the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D550 AW Camera Bag. It is a massive shoulder bag that is built like a tank. If you'd rather have a backpack, I'm sure one of the Lowepros would serve you well.

Genuine Fotodiox DIY Lomo Camera, Twin Lens Reflex, TLR Camera Kit (68 Pieces, with Detailed Instructions, Uses 35mm 24 Exposure B&W or Color Film)
Offered by fotodiox Inc.
Price: $14.85
4 used & new from $10.95

4.0 out of 5 stars If you've ever built a model car, this is for you., December 25, 2011
This little kit makes for a fun, perhaps slightly frustrating, gift for photography enthusiasts. It is packed pretty well and the instructions are adequate. My advice is to rip the cover off the manual so you can refer to the parts list without having to turn the page.

The shutter assembly is definitely the most difficult part, but once you figure it out, the rest is a breeze. Just don't get in a hurry; the build is part of the fun. This is just a plastic toy camera, so don't tighten the screws too much and definitely don't try to force anything in to place. It is well made enough that everything will slide together. I recommend NOT screwing down the right side until the reflector, bottom hinge, and film spindle are in place. It will definitely take at least an hour to put it together, unless you've done it before.

Once it is assembled, go shoot some film. Just don't expect perfect photos, this is a Lomo camera and it is basically all plastic. The best part of the camera/photos is going to be knowing that you took a box of parts and made a fully-functioning camera.

Page: 1 | 2