Profile for J. Gretzinger > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Gretzinger RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Buddy Emmons Live, Vol. 1-2
Buddy Emmons Live, Vol. 1-2
3 used & new from $36.97

5.0 out of 5 stars It's The Big "E", December 18, 2013
If you like and know steel guitar, then you know Buddy Emmons. He is The Man when it comes to steel guitar. Buddy has been perhaps the most innovative steel player since the instrument was created. Be it jazz, swing, country, or what ever, Buddy Emmons plays with a style and tone that make you wonder why you don't hear more of it outside of country music.

From the opening licks of Raisin' the Dickens your toes start tapping.

This is a live recording from the International Steel Guitar Convention of 1977. There are giveaways that let you know this is not a recent recording - the electric piano for one. Yeah, it's right out of the '70s. But that does not distract from the music, but adds to the vintage sound; reminding you that this is not a new studio recording, but history. Since Buddy no longer performs, there will never be another live recording from Buddy.

The record/CD is out of print, so you have to keep your eyes open for this one. It's well worth the wait.

If you know how a pedal steel is played, you can hear Buddy working the levers and pedals to create chords and transitions that are simply wonderful to hear. The man is amazing to watch and hear.

If you can find this album, you owe it to yourself to purchase it.

Bakersfield
Bakersfield
Price: $10.00
57 used & new from $5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Bakersfield (Audio CD)
OK, I'm a Country and Western music fan as well as a steel guitar player, although definitely not in the same rarefied atmosphere as Paul Franklin.

The music is very listenable and danceable and is well produced. I even enjoyed some tracks that I don't particularly like from the original musicians. Vince does not try to be Merle or Buck and that's a very good thing because he does a really great Vince Gill.

Paul Franklin is an acknowledged master of the steel guitar. Each song shows why the rest of us look up to this man. His playing is always exactly what is needed to bring out the best of each piece of music.

If you like traditional Country music, you'll love this album.

Valeo R-14H Rear Wiper Blade, 14" (Pack of 1)
Valeo R-14H Rear Wiper Blade, 14" (Pack of 1)
Price: $9.99
5 used & new from $7.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, December 18, 2013
I actually ordered a total of 5 wiper blades to cover both our cars. These are nicely made and fit as if they were made for the vehicle. This one was for the rear window on an '05 Prius. Great to have the recommended blade actually be the correct size.

Although we've only had a couple of days of rain so far, I can say without a doubt that these are much better than the last set I purchased.

Definitely recommended.

Trap-It-Ant Carded Trap Color: Red
Trap-It-Ant Carded Trap Color: Red
Offered by KMW INC
Price: $6.67
16 used & new from $1.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Trap-It-Ant Carded Trap Color: Red
I like this. Since putting it in place I have not had an ant problem with my hummingbird feeder. No ants, more hummingbirds.

The unit is well enough built that I took down the cheap plastic feeder and put the more decorative glass and metal one. It may just be my perception, but I think the humming birds prefer the glass feeder as I'm seeing more birds at the feeder.

Inexpensive, built well, and does exactly what it says it will do. What more can you ask of a product?

Aspects Brushed Nickel Nyjer Thistle Mesh Tube Bird Feeder, Medium
Aspects Brushed Nickel Nyjer Thistle Mesh Tube Bird Feeder, Medium
Offered by NaturesRoom
Price: $35.48
17 used & new from $30.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, December 18, 2013
I'm not sure what I can say other than it works. I mean, it's well built, looks like the photo, holds plenty of seed and the birds are happy. I think the lid could have been designed a bit better. I have a second Nyjer feeder from another manufacturer that I like a little better, but it was more than twice the price of this one, so I'm not all that upset.

Easy to clean, easy to fill and easy for the birds to use.

Recommended.

Bullet Catch: Smoke & Dagger Book 1
Bullet Catch: Smoke & Dagger Book 1
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What? The next book isn't out yet?, December 18, 2013
Disclosure - I am a member of the Magic Castle and was alerted to the book by Scott Jenkins. The premise sounded fun so I thought I'd take a chance on his writing. Boy am I glad I did. The writing is excellent. As others have said, it is hard to believe this is his first effort as it reads very well.

If you know magic, magicians, and old television, you will spot at least superficial similarities to some magical families. The references to magic effects are spot on, as one would expect, but do not bury the reader in the technicalities that would bore folks not interested in the performance of magic.

The story is plausible, fun, and exciting, with a few good twists that you most likely will not see coming.

Good work, Scott.

I'm now hooked and can't wait for the next volume to be available.

Oh yes, I purchased the old fashioned real paper paged book. No matter which format you choose, you'll have a fun ride.

Introduction to Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 with ACA Certification
Introduction to Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 with ACA Certification
Price: $29.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good introduction with a few flaws., November 1, 2013
The book is easy to use and presents the information in a relatively clear and concise manner. I'm using it as the required text for a class. There is not a lot of supplemental material to go with the book, other than the on-line videos which accompany the lessons.

I find the videos OK at best. Several suffer from poor quality and low resolution which makes watching them full screen on anything larger than a 17" monitor painful.

The book covers most subjects one may need to produce a pretty good looking and functional site . It helps if you are already familiar with HTML and CSS editing without using a code generator as that gives you some background on what the code is doing and why. It also makes it easier to go in and whack the code when Dreamweaver does not quite do what you expected or wanted it to do.

My biggest concern is the amount of typos in the text. I realize how difficult it is to get a whole book error free, but if you do not know the terms, understand some of the concepts, and recognize when the book is saying something that is wrong, you can be thrown for a loop. Since the book has an on-line companion site, it should be easy enough to have an on-line errata sheet as well.

I bought both the hard bound and e-book formats. The e-book does match the printed book exactly, as one would expect. Due to the extensive graphics and colors used in the illustrations, it does not translate well to monochrome readers like the Kindle Keyboard. In fact, it will only download to readers that support color (unless you cheat).

Overall? Not bad, I'd recommend it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Erva SB6 Pole Mount Disk Baffle, Black, 22.5-Inch
Erva SB6 Pole Mount Disk Baffle, Black, 22.5-Inch
Offered by International Coffee & Books
Price: $38.87
3 used & new from $30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the squirrels out of the bird feeder, November 1, 2013
Wow! This thing is big!

OK, it fits around my bird feeder pole using the supplied adapter and really seems to do the job. The squirrels have not managed to get around it so far and I suspect they won't. I like it. So do the birds. They often use the baffle as a staging point to using the feeder. I've even seen a couple sitting on the ground under the feeder when it's gently raining.

Highly recommended if you have squirrels climbing up to your bird feeder, but measure 22 inches so you won't be surprised as to how big this really is.

EMPIRE Motorola DROID 4 3 Pack of Matte Anti-Glare Screen Protectors [EMPIRE Packaging]
Offered by Empire Case
Price: $0.99
8 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars These things just do what they are supposed to do, November 1, 2013
Handy little items, and practical as well. These protectors simply work. They keep the screen from getting scratches as well as reducing glare. The package comes with an "applicator" - a small piece of plastic/Teflon/nylon to smooth out bubbles that can develop during installation if you are not careful in your initial positioning of the protector.

I always keep some on hand in case the phone needs to be replaced (seems to happen way too often with the Droid 4 but that's another review.

Garmin nüvi 2360LMT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Map Updates (Old Model)
Offered by Electromax
Price: $189.99
19 used & new from $62.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but..., March 26, 2012
The Garmin Nuvi2360LMT is another in Garmin's line of similar but slightly different 4.3" GPS units. It is getting increasingly difficult to wade through the almost identical descriptions and find the one that actually does what you want it to do.

I was looking for a unit with Lifetime Maps (this has it), Lifetime Traffic (likewise, this one has it), and Bluetooth capability (and this check box is checked). However, the Bluetooth only works with a phone. It will not send spoken directions through a Bluetooth headset, and this was what I needed.

I attached it to my motorcycle and went off for a ride and discovered no directions in my Bluetooth headset and no way to get them there. *sigh*

The dual mode display (horizontal and vertical) is a cute touch, but on my ride (admittedly on a motorcycle) the display continually flipped between the two modes. In a comparison ride in my car, it did not do this so I presume it works fine in most automobile applications, but I wouldn't use it in an off road vehicle.

Finally, the device rebooted itself 4 times on my ride.

It has been returned and I've picked up a Garmin 660 which is specifically designed for a motorcycle but does not have lifetime maps or traffic. *sigh* At least it work correctly on the motorcycle and give me directions in my Bluetooth headset.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3