Profile for Leo S > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leo S "gizmo geek" RSS Feed (California)

Page: 1 | 2
Fintie Apple iPad Air Case - Ultra Slim Leather Standing Case with Smart Cover Auto Sleep / Wake Feature for iPad Air 5 (5th Generation) - Black
Offered by Fintie
Price: $13.99
7 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for., September 3, 2014
You probably can't get a better case for the price. But, you get what you pay for.

All buttons are accessible but the case isn't super tight fitting, leaving the buttons recessed more than I would like.

Wobbly when in the "self standing" mode. A gust or wind or bumped table could easily cause your iPad to fall over.

My main complaint is that this product does not reliably trigger the magnetic-off on our iPad. If I just flip the cover closed, there's a good chance the iPad will stay on. I have to run my hand over it to flatten out if I want to be sure that the iPad actually turned off.

It is effective at protecting the iPad from scratches and small bumps, and it's cheap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2014 7:40 AM PDT

Black Diamond Wiz Headlamp - Fuchsia
Black Diamond Wiz Headlamp - Fuchsia
Offered by 21st-Century-Goods
Price: $18.95
7 used & new from $18.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap == inexpensive == good for kids!, September 3, 2014
This review is from: Black Diamond Wiz Headlamp
As others have mentioned, it is cheaply constructed. But we have not had any malfunctions, and cheap means inexpensive which is nice when you're buying something for a kid.

I like the screw-closed battery door. Keeps the battery away from little fingers.

Quality head strap. And it is designed to detach from the light under strain, for safety.

Love that it's not too bright and that it has auto-off to save the batteries. The main complaint I have is that it takes a long press to get the light to dim down, and has no setting memory. Since I always do this when turning it on for my kid, it's gets a bit tiresome.

[Apple MFi Certified] Skiva PowerFlow (2.1 Amps / 10 Watt Output) Lightning Fire C-1 Rapid Car Charger with integrated 8-Pin Lightning Cable (3.2 ft / 1m length) for iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Air, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation) and iPod nano (7th generation) [Slimmest Lightning Connector Head 8.5mm x 4.8mm] [Model No.: AC106] - 1 Year Warranty
Offered by BuySPRY
Price: $16.99
6 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work reliably and is nearly impossible to remove from Prius, January 3, 2014
I like the size of this adapter, but it fits way too tightly in the socket and because it is so small it is nearly impossible to remove. I bruise my fingertips trying to remove it.

This wouldn't be a major problem in and of itself, except that the charger stops working periodically and it must be removed and re-inserted in order to function again. I don't know the cause, but the blue light just stays off. Wiggling is not always sufficient. I often have to unplug and re-plug the unit.

I don't know if the unit is defective or if it's a fit issue. I see another review complaining that the unit doesn't insert far enough to turn on--it may be near that limit in my Prius.

Update: after leaving this negative review, Skiva contacted me and offered to replace the unit or give me a 70% refund. I opted for the refund because they could not guarantee that the replacement unit would insert/remove more easily in my power point. I'll add one star for the excellent customer service, but I can't give the item a high rating since it simply doesn't work well in my car.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2014 12:36 PM PST

iPhone 5S Case, Spigen Neo Hybrid Series for iPhone 5/5S - Retail Packaging - Metal Slate (SGP10360)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $18.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim and functional, December 17, 2013
Pros:
* Very slim
* Adequate protection (I have dropped my phone a couple of times since installing this product).
* Affordable

Cons:
* Case is very slippery (may be a bonus for some folks). It slips in and out of pockets easily, which is nice, but it is no more stable on a slippery surface than a naked iPhone.
* Headphone port is too small for a standard headphone plug. Works fine with iPhone earbuds, of course.

As others have reported, this is not the best case if you want to remove it at all frequently. The case snaps on very securely and is not easy to remove.

Brother MFC9330CDW Wireless All-In-One Color Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Price: Click here to see our price
81 used & new from $282.82

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than an inkjet..., November 13, 2013
We were sick of replacing dried-out inkjet cartridges (and print heads!) so we decided to go laser. We knew going in that the price-per-page wasn't great with this unit, but we print very few pages so that was OK with us.

Overall we are satisfied with the printer. Wireless function works great, print speed is very good once it gets started--but warmup means a pretty long delay for a small document. It's noisier than an inkjet but not more so than other lasers I'm used to.

Main complaint is that the quality is pretty poor. I was not expecting much from the color, but I expected laser black to be excellent. Instead, it's basically equivalent to an injket. Test is very-dark-grey instead of ink-black, and has jaggies if you look up close.

All in all, it's a good replacement for an inkjet if you are in infrequent printer like we are. The toner won't dry up or be wasted in "cleaning" cycles. The MFC features work fine for us but we don't use them very often.

Finally, I verified that the standby power is extremely low. It uses a LOT of power when warming up and printing but it's in standby 99% of the time so that doesn't really matter.

NOW Foods Super Enzymes, 90 Capsules
NOW Foods Super Enzymes, 90 Capsules
Price: $8.99
18 used & new from $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Burned my esophagus, November 13, 2013
I don't know if the enzymes work or not because I had to stop using the product. It uses a rather large gelatin capsule that consistently gets stuck way back in my throat, and the enzymes start eating away at my esophagus. I thought I was getting sick, with a sore throat for a week, before I figured out it was these enzymes.

I have this problem with all gel caps, but it seems to be worse with the larger size. If you never have a problem with gel caps sticking to the back of your throat, then give these a try...

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely HD clear, but smudges and can scratch, November 13, 2013
It really is HD, which was my main need. Downsides: it does scratch fairly easily, and is not oleophobic like the iPhone glass.

Motorola MBP26 Wireless 2.4 GHz Video Baby Monitor with 2.4" Color LCD Screen, Infrared Night Vision and Remote Camera Pan and Tilt
Price: $99.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a low-budget monitor that (mostly) works fine, August 16, 2013
We got this because we didn't want to spend a ton of money on a monitor, but did not want a piece of junk either. For the most part, this monitor lives up to that expectation.

+ low cost (but not the cheapest out there)
+ pan function is very useful--you don't have to fine-tune the camera placement
+ battery life is pretty good (all day) in audio-only mode
+ LED audio-scale lets you monitor the audio silently

- video quality is terrible, about 1/4 of the actual pixel resolution of the device. I haven't seen such a poor image in a decade.
- battery life is not that great (an hour or two) with video on
- display goes off by itself after about 2 minutes to save battery (if the DC cord isn't plugged in)
- DC plugin for recharging is not very convenient--a cradle would be nice.

The video quality is the main problem with this device. We often cannot tell if our baby has open or closed eyes, and certainly wouldn't be able to see breathing. If that matters to you, get another device. In the end, we realized that the audio is the most important thing, and the video is good enough to check and make sure the baby isn't getting into trouble.

Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: Revised Edition: New, Revised, and Expanded Edition
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, but we had to adapt his plan, August 1, 2013
We started out with Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution." Over time our infant became more difficult to put to sleep, and slept less well. By month three, we (parents and baby) were exhausted from lack of proper sleep. Some days we were spending 25% of the day trying to put her to sleep (or keep her asleep). This is not an indictment of Pantley's method, but it simply did not work for us despite herculean efforts. I think it's worth a try because, if it works (and it clearly does for some people), then great!

So, like many parents, we ended up with Dr. Ferber's book by way of exhaustion and frustration. We were ready to try anything. We read the entire book, and I recommend that you do too, but of course the part we needed most urgently was the controversial "cry it out" chapter. We embarked on the program and it worked like a miracle--at first. First time to sleep was 9 minutes, then 5 minutes, then 4, ... But after a few days, when the wait times got longer, so did her time to sleep. Eventually she was crying for 20 minutes and getting more worked up. We found that, for us, this wasn't the right solution. If she isn't going to sleep within 10 minutes, we go in to soothe her, and if that doesn't work, give up. No point in making her suffer to the official 30 minute break time.

So I'm taking one star off because we found that we had to modify the program for our purposes. That said, I'm now a complete believer that a baby needs to know how to sleep by herself and will be happier (and probably healthier) as a result. Compared to just before we did this program, our baby is happier and more energetic. It really is night and day. And we have the energy to enjoy her when she's awake!

G7 Power G7A19W10 800 Lumen 10-watt Omni-Directional LED Dimmable Light Bulb, A19, Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value in a dimmable A19 60W equivalent, June 24, 2013
There's no perfect bulb at the moment. The Philips L-Prize is nice but very expensive, and only comes in "warm" 2700K. This bulb comes close to the luminous efficacy at one third the price. Works with the dimmers in my household (even one not designed to work with CFL/LED bulbs). At 3000K, the color temperature is noticeably cooler than warmer bulbs, but I like it. The CRI isn't great, but it's acceptable. If they could get the CRI up then I would consider five stars!

Be careful: there's a 13W version of this bulb with approximately the same lumens. This 10W variety is warm (not hot) to the touch. I think G7 should discontinue the 13W variety since it is so much less efficient.

Page: 1 | 2