Profile for Maria Freeman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Maria Freeman RSS Feed (Mechanicsburg, PA via London, UK)

ChocolateChocolate
ChocolateChocolate
by Lisa Yockelson
Price: $37.41
110 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic successor to Baking by Flavor...., September 23, 2005
This review is from: ChocolateChocolate (Hardcover)
Wow. This is the most gorgeous baking cookbook, both the layout and the recipes. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would.

I have been a fan of Lisa Yockelson's since reading her articles in the Washington Post and her prior book, Baking by Flavor, is my baking bible. It is the only book that I would consider using to make a recipe for guests that I had not tried before. Until now.

This book is similarly wonderful. It's not just chocolate either, but recipes with toffee, coconut, oatmeal, vanilla, classic candies, all types of wonderful flavors.

It has many more photos than Baking by Flavor, full page photos that inspire you to try the recipes.

As always, her attention to detail is second to none. She will tell you every possible substitution or possible variation, as well as exact mixing, baking and cooling times. With her recipes, you are guaranteed perfect results.

I can't recommend this book highly enough...it's destined to be a classic. Here's hoping that Lisa is already working on her next book!

Zojirushi NS-KCC05 Micom Programmable 3-Cup Rice Cooker & Warmer
Zojirushi NS-KCC05 Micom Programmable 3-Cup Rice Cooker & Warmer

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect rice cooker for small amounts of rice...., September 17, 2005
Earlier this year, I bought the 10 cup fuzzy logic Zojirushi rice cooker, along with the Ultimate Rice Cooker cookbook, which has some fantastic recipes in it. I still love this cooker and have made all kinds of things in it - brown rice, white rice, risotto, polenta, oatmeal, even chicken chili. It really is a versatile appliance, but it tends to cook quantities of at least 2 cups of dry rice best.

I had started to use the timer function quite a lot - just stick the rice and water or other ingredients in the pot in the morning and set it to be ready and perfect at a designated time. It was great to come home and have the rice ready - all I had to do was throw together a quick stirfry or reheat leftover curry, something like that. Saves so much prep and waiting time.

I bought this cooker because I wanted to be able to cook much smaller amounts of rice without having leftovers. I have cooked as little as 1/4 cup rice in the cooker and it came out perfectly! Obviously it handles larger amounts too, but if I'm cooking for 4 or more people I tend to use the 10 cup cooker.

If you're debating whether or not this is a good purchase or if it will be sitting in the cupboard forevermore, I can tell you that I use mine all of the time, and use it at least 3 times a week. Don't forget that it cooks much more than just rice, and there are all kinds of creative dishes you can make. For ideas on that, I really recommend the Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook.

I hope this review is helpful.

Zojirushi NS-ZAC18 10-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker, White Gray
Zojirushi NS-ZAC18 10-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker, White Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate - this is the perfect kitchen appliance!, August 18, 2005
I have had this rice cooker for several months now...my husband teased me when I ordered it that it would soon be gathering dust in a cupboard, but I still use it a few times a week. It really does make the most perfect rice, and I have tried loads of types...basmati, American long grain, all types of brown rice and brown/wild rice blends, sushi rice. I've also made steel cut oatmeal - everything comes out perfectly. I bought the Ultimate Rice Cooker cookbook, which has a gorgeous recipe for chicken chili - all made in the rice cooker, no pots and pans to wash up! And the nonstick pan is a breeze to clean, even when I cook the rice in coconut milk or other liquids. Most recently, I've started using the timer feature - I put the rice and liquid in in the morning and set it to be done at a specific time. The rice is perfectly cooked when I get home from work and it only takes a few minutes to toss together a quick stirfry or some other main course. I really can't recommend this cooker highly enough, and I hope this review is helpful.