Profile for Fyregal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 177

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Fyregal "Roadtripper" RSS Feed (Oregon, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
iGearPro 8GB Digital Audio Voice Recorder - Multifunctional Portable Rechargeable Dictaphone MP3 Player
Offered by Histore
Price: $28.99
3 used & new from $24.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and crisp voice recordings, March 25, 2015
I received this voice recorder in exchange for a review.

Maybe it's just me, but after using this for a couple of weeks and reading and re-reading the manual, the only thing I've been able to do is make a voice recording, playback the voice recording, and finally, delete the recording. Even though they were thoughtful enough to put every possible icon/descriptor on this thing, I still get lost. Maybe if I had to use this every day as part of my work, I would figure it out a lot easier. I am typically tech savvy, but for some reason this thing just throws me. As far as using it for an mP3 player or using the telephone adapter, not yet.

Aside from my ineptitude, this seems to be a nice unit. It comes in a well padded box, with all of the accessories tucked underneath. The box is sturdy and would be great for gifting. It looks like a thick book, so you could throw this on the bookshelf.
The unit is very lightweight, feeling a little bit on the cheap side. However, in the little guy's defense, I did drop it on the floor (hardwood) and it came out unscathed.
The display is adequate, if you have good eyes. It is about 1" wide and 1/2" tall. I have to use the OTC "reading" glasses in order to read the display. The icons on the display are pretty much common sense, and they better be, because there really isn't anything in the instructions.
Just like the icons, the buttons are user friendly. You can't mistake the large REC button. The Stop and Play/Pause buttons are not only marked with the standard icons, but it also has it spelled out underneath. The other buttons are as clearly marked, so I'm really thinking it's just me who can't figure this out.
I made a few recordings of the goings-on around me just to see how it would sound. You can access the record function from anywhere by simply pressing the REC button. If you leave the unit out on the tabletop, or have it tucked away on a bookshelf set on voice activated mode (out of sight, I felt like Bond on a mission...) then it sounds great. It picks up a lot of the sounds in the room (door being opened, chair being pushed under table, etc.) but not so much that it overwhelms the voices that you are trying to capture. The only trouble I had was trying to use it in a shirt pocket. The buttons are easy enough to activate, but the recordings leave a bit to be desired. As expected, if your shirt rubs on the unit you get this hideous scraping/rubbing sound. Even when you have it in your hand, activating the buttons, the rubbing of your hands across the surface is picked up and seems almost amplified.
On the good side, the voices that are captured are crisp and easily understandable. It did not sound muffled, like other recorders. You can easily tell the difference between speakers in a room, even if it is two guys that sound alike. When used in a pocket, the voices still were crisp. I suppose if you had it underneath a heavy coat it might be a bit muffled, but just typical clothing materials shouldn't cause any loss of quality. If there was only a way to get rid of the "scratching" sound from the clothing...
I charged the unit via my computer when it first arrived and I have used it probably in the area of 6 hours. It's still going strong and is showing half charge.
I only give it 4 stars because of the scratching/rubbing noises. Other than that issue, this seems like a well thought out unit. Just because my old-ish brain won't grasp the obvious doesn't mean you can't figure this out.

**3/26/15 EDIT** OK so granny finally figured out that they supply an external mic for when you throw this in your pocket. Hey, guess what? No more scratching noise!!!

Gear Beast GearClip Universal Smartphone Air Vent Car Mount Holder Cradle for iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5, 5S, 5C, 4, 4S; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3; Samsung Note 4, 3, 2 and other Smartphones up to 5.7" including HTC, LG, Google Nexus, Nokia, Sony and Motorola. Easy install, no tools needed [Lifetime Hassle-Free Warranty]
Offered by Gear Beast
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good build, but not for my car, March 21, 2015
I received one of these in exchange for an honest review.

I have to start by saying that I really don't like vent mount systems. I was hoping that this one might have been different, but it's not. If you have to have one since there is no other system available to you, then this one will probably work for you.
Here's why it won't work for me. I have a 1994 Ford Explorer. This will not work on the vents. The vents will not hold this thing in place. Also, the way my vents are built, when this is attached it just drags the vent downward. It will not hold the phone at the proper angle.
I know it sounds like this thing is terrible, but it's not. It is well built and has no problem holding onto my phone. It just won't work in my vehicle.

Flatworld® 100% Natural Cotton Eco-friendly Reusable Durable Grocery Shopping Travel School woman handbag gift Bag Tote, Unique Pattern,be Green Be Stylish (Pencil Sketch 3 pack)
Offered by WeiHeng
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice size and sturdy, but no color and no flat bottom, March 21, 2015
I received a set of these in exchange for an honest review.

These are really nice bags. As you can see from the sizing, 17.5" tall by 13" wide, these are not overly large bags. If you don't want to lug huge bags of groceries or books or ... then these are the right size for you.
The cotton is canvas heavy. The stitching is sturdy, and no matter how much or where I pulled I did not get any loosening or breaking of the threads. The straps are just the right length where you can throw the bags over your shoulder, or you could hold them in your hand and not have the bags drag the ground. BTW, I'm 5'7".
The printing looks like it will hold up to wear. In other words, you can't "pick" the design off of the bags. It is more like it has been "embedded" into the material.
I really like them, but they are not perfect. The first thing I would change is the bottom. Typically shopping bags have a flat bottom. These are not. The stitching runs right across the bottom with a normal stitch. Just a quick tuck of the corners would make a flat bottom possible on these.
Next little complaint, the colors. The description shows vivid colors, such as the red bowtie on the rabbit. My samples were not colorful. Just barely colored, they looked more like black and white sketches. Actually, the entire design looks washed out. I don't mind the look, I actually like it, but it still doesn't look as vivid as the description shows. You could always turn on your creative side and do some decorating yourself.

Gear Beast Dual Pocket Sports, Running and Fitness Expandable Weather Resistant Waist Pack Belt (Black) [Lifetime Hassle-Free Warranty]
Offered by Gear Beast
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for running..., March 18, 2015
Finally! Something that doesn't look like a "fanny pack" and can be used for running! I was offered one of these in exchange for an honest review and I just couldn't say "No".
I have seen other belts that claim to be for hiding money, cards, etc. They were just normal looking belts with tiny pockets. If all you wanted to carry is cash and a few keys, you could go that way. But I want to carry my phone (Kyocera Hydro XTRM) in a case, my wallet, my keys, a pocketknife, my gps (little Garmin handheld), and my little point-and-shoot camera (Canon Powershot 700). Enter the Gear Beast. This is 1 1/2 inch wide elastic attached to two 9" wide zippered pockets. The material is soft enough to wear right up against your skin. The buckle is a standard squeeze type quick connect, like you find on backpack straps, etc., with 2 adjustment sliders. One on each side of the buckle. Although hard plastic, they do not dig in or pinch, unless you adjust the belt too tight. The pockets are lined with a waterproof material. I haven't had a chance to wear this in the rain, but I know all my goodies were still dry even though I was sweating like a pig. There is a rubber-lined port on the back for headphones, but I use Bluetooth.
When this thing is loaded, it holds all your gear tight up against you, not flailing around like when you use a "fanny pack" for running. You have to spend the time to adjust it right, or you won't be happy with the results so just take the time.
When you unload all the gear, the pockets fold back up neatly into the same 1 1/2 inch width as the elastic belt.
You could really think outside the box with this thing. Hikers, bikers, gardeners, travelers, birdwatchers, shoppers, kayakers,.... I could go on, but you get the idea. If you are doing ANYTHING and you need a couple extra pockets then here ya go.

100% ORGANIC Japanese Green Tea Matcha, "Komakai" or"Drinking Quality" (BETTER THAN Culinary Quality, NO BITTERNESS, FLOWERY AROMA, EXTRA-FINE POWDER)
Offered by Lau Family's Herbs
Price: $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Restaurant memories, March 16, 2015
My first impression I get with this tea is of an old restaurant that would serve green tea as well as black tea with their dinners. It had a really nice, rich flavor, with just a hint of bitterness. FYI, I have yet to find a tea that is not bitter, at least a little bit, and this is no different. As soon as I smelled it in the bag I knew we were having stir-fry for dinner that night.
I won't go into the health benefits of tea. You probably heard it enough. I will just point out the highs and lows of this tea. I know taste is very subjective. I can only tell you that I really enjoyed this tea. Not too bitter, with the right "green tea" flavor that I expect. I didn't get much of a floral taste/aroma, but then again, I have a Jasmine tea that would make you think you are sitting in a garden, it is so flowery. This just can't compare with that one in the floral department.
The tea is a very bright green color, extremely fine powder. It does mix very quickly into anything you want: smoothies, coffee drinks, etc. If you aren't into green tea flavor, you will have to adjust. To the uninitiated, this tea has the potential to scare away a new user if they don't go at it slowly. You have to start small. Just try 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of hot water. You will know when you hit the sweet spot. I tend to like mine a bit on the strong side.
I received a sample of this tea in exchange for a review.

Kazu ® 100% Organic Cacao Nibs: Raw, Unsweetened and Pure, (The Finest Variety of Criollo Porcelena From Peru)

4.0 out of 5 stars For the health conscious choco-connasseurs, or just the adventurous..., March 16, 2015
If you want to add a hint of chocolate flavor, in a little "chip" form, then this is for you. I received a sample of these in exchange for a review.

Having no previous experience with nibs, I searched for ways to use it. I added it to smoothies, coffee drinks, Grape Nuts cereal... Anything sweet I could think of that could use a shot of cocoa flavor. My favorite is adding some to vanilla yogurt. The thing I like about these nibs is that they remind me of eating choco-covered coffee beans. They have the same sharpness, with no sweetness whatsoever. So when I add them to yogurt, I only get a slight hint of the choco-flavor, sweetened by the yogurt. Not the cloying sweet you would think of when mixing chocolate and vanilla.
Take a look at the nutritional info provided above in the product description. Great fiber content, potassium, magnesium, iron... Just make sure you also note the calorie and fat content. Moderation, folks. It would be real easy to add this to everything, but between calories and fats you could end up sabotaging an otherwise healthy diet.

Kazu ® 100% Raw Chia Seeds
Kazu ® 100% Raw Chia Seeds

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and healthy, a win-win!, March 16, 2015
What a nutrient-dense gem! My only experience with Chia is the old Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Pet commercials. When Kazu wanted me to review their chia seeds, I decided to give them a whirl. They sent me a sample in exchange for an honest review, so here goes.

I had to do some research. I heard it was a "superfood", but what makes it so? Here's a quick list: 30% Omega-3, 40% Omega-6 (I guess that is a good ratio), more calcium than milk, it is a complete protein, fiber rich, loaded with antioxidants, very low calorie, and the "gelling" of the seed helps with digestive issues and weight loss. Of course I can't vouch for any of that info, I'm just the messenger. What I DO know is that this is a fun little addition to just about anything.
I added a serving, one tablespoon, to my morning mochaccino. Everyone is right. After a few minutes in liquid, especially hot liquid, the seeds get a gel coating. The seeds didn't add any flavor, but it did change the texture a bit. I make my mochaccino with soy milk, so you don't get the creamy-ness that you get from using whole milk. When I added the Chia seeds, the gel quality added that "creamy" texture back in. That led me to try making some chocolate soymilk. I added a couple of servings to see if I could make it like a milkshake. No such luck, but it definitely brought to mind enjoying real chocolate milk as a kid. Threw another tablespoon into my yogurt, then it dawned on me. I've added a lot of nutrients, without sacrificing any flavor or adding a ton of calories. In one day. Just by playing around with it. Sounds like a winner to me.
If you like experimenting with fun ingredients that are actually good for you, you have to give these a shot. I see a lot of fun smoothies in my future.

Flatworld® Sexy S Cocktail Dress 54 Counts Dual Sides Space-saving Hanging Earrings Necklace Bracelet Closet Storage Bag Jewelry Organizer Household Accessory Holder (Black)
Offered by Teamwin Trading
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enough room for both of us!, March 12, 2015
What a great idea for saving space! This fits perfectly in my closet. I have certain jewelry that I wear more than the others. This keeps them right where I need them, next to the clothes that I will be wearing them with! Easy way to grab a shirt and then peruse the jewelry selection!
Plenty of heavy gauge plastic see-through pockets for holding rings, earrings, watches, pins, pocket knives, key chains, all those things that won't get tangled. The bigger pockets are large enough to hold jewelry boxes. I use these for the earring/necklace sets that I want to keep in the original box. There are also a couple of flaps sewn in to make them look like collars. Probably not the intended idea for them, but I took a heavy sewing needle and poked a couple holes in it so my stud earrings could be attached.
The hook and loop tabs hold my belts, my husband's belts, bracelets, more knives... Did I forget to mention my husband uses this too? There was enough room for more than just my stuff, so he added a few items he wanted handy. He's put in spare change, nail clippers, a small flashlight, some fave pocketknives, and a couple of watches.
The wavy portion holds plenty of necklaces, chains, etc. as long as you want to stack them. You could always use some of the pockets or loops for extra necklaces.
The wire frame is very sturdy. I really doubt you could load this with enough jewelry to worry about overloading. The backing is heavy nylon and the seams/stitching all looks like it was built to last.
Here's a few improvements I think they could do on the next model.
#1 This would be so perfect for travel, if they made the pockets with closures. Velcro, snaps, zippers, I don't know, just some way to keep things from falling out.
#2 Need to have a way to secure the hanger to the "dress". If this ever slipped off while loaded you are going to have a mess. Another reason to have those pocket closures.
#3 Swivel the neck of the hanger so it spins in place. Unless this is hung on a wall, you always need one hand to hold it so you can see the "stuff". With a swivel you could just spin it around to see both sides rather than take it off the rod, or hold it at an awkward angle while it is still on the rod.

Magnesium Oil with ALOE VERA (Makes it less itchy) ★ Big 12Oz ★ Highly purified 100% Tested ★ SEE RESULTS OR MONEY-BACK - Best Magnesium Oil for Sore Muscles, Leg Cramps & Spasms, Restless Legs Syndrome, Joints and Knee Pains, Headaches, Migraines and various Bodily Aches - Helps you Relax and Sleep better - 360 days GUARANTEE!
Offered by Seven Minerals
Price: $49.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sore muscles and joint pain begone. Plus it's guranteed., March 11, 2015
I received a bottle of the Magnesium Oil in exchange for a review.

I really had never heard of Magnesium Oil. I did a little online research and found out that, yes, it was reported to work on pretty much everything they have in their product description. Joint pain? I got it. Knee pain? You bet. Sore muscles? Especially after a hard workout. Leg cramps? Leg, and just about everywhere else. So here's what happened after a couple weeks of use. BTW, I applied the oil all over, concentrating on the sore spots, just like the directions. I would leave it on for a couple hours, then shower it off.
Joint pain. This did improve the range of motion and relieve some pain from those joints that were sore due to overuse. For example, my ankles were sore from a hard run and my hands and wrists were sore from slamming a Pulaski into the ground doing some landscaping. I did not notice any real relief right away, but what I did notice was relief the next day. I know from past experience how sore my body gets after a hard days' work, so that's what I expected. I got up the next morning with just a few twinges. I wasn't mincing around on sore ankles, and I was able to hold a huge mug of coffee without pain. Works for me.
Knee pain. For starters, my knees are shot. Multiple surgeries, years of abuse. Nothing but ibuprofen works on that pain. The oil didn't seem to help. Maybe I need to use it for a lot longer, I'm not giving up trying yet, but right now, no joy.
Sore muscles. Another win for the oil. And, just like the joint pain, I didn't get relief right away. It came later when I noticed that the typical pain I should have felt just wasn't there.
Leg cramps. This one really isn't fair. I found out the underlying reason for my leg cramps was a low potassium level so I don't see how the oil could have helped anyway. I needed to take potassium.
When I sprayed it on, I got no discomfort. I don't have any sensitive skin issues, so I never experienced the itch at all. The aloe left my skin really soft. I did experience the "salts" left behind, which is why I showered it off. It wasn't anything horrid, I just didn't care for it. I didn't feel "clean", so it was probably just a mental thing.
I have been using this every day for a few weeks now and I still have a lot in the bottle. Well over 3/4 of it is still left. I'm going to just keep right on using it.
Here's a bonus. If you don't like it, let them know within 360 days (5 short of a full year). Full refund, even with an empty bottle. Of course, I can't vouch for it since I haven't taken advantage of that offer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2015 12:14 AM PDT

Tea Beyond Tea Combo FLS-TCBO-FJEC001 Fab Flowering tea plus assorted whole leaf tea
Offered by Tea Beyond
Price: $16.50
2 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, and delicious, teas, March 10, 2015
I received a sample of this tea in exchange for a review.

I must be honest when I say that I had never heard of a blooming tea. I have been a tea drinker for years, with quite the tea and teapot collection. You can imagine how excited I was when I saw these for the first time! Each tea ball is well wrapped to maintain freshness. The loose teas in the set are in resealable bags.
I have spent the last 2 days in tea heaven sampling these. I have a Tea Beyond teapot that worked perfectly for this. If you have a sizeable clear teapot (mine is 24 oz.), then you should be able to get the full effect of the blooms. When you first open it, it looks more like something you should be planting rather than drinking! Really simple. I just filled my clear teapot and dropped in a tea ball. I guess there is no right or wrong way because I just threw it in and it did the rest. It took about 4 minutes for it to fully open, which is perfect for brewing time. Interesting process to watch as well! One comment I heard was "It looks like a bug, coming to life..." They really are as beautiful as they look in the pictures. The tallest bloom was about 3" tall, and around 2" round at the base. And each one tastes amazing! You get the best of both worlds with the herbal teas and green teas. A nice balance for both types of drinkers.
The loose teas are as equally tasty. One of my favorite surprises was the Earl Grey. Not my typical choice since I am not a fan of bergamot. In this tea, however, they use lemon for a new take on the the old black tea favorite. The Jasmine is light and flowery with plenty of jasmine flavor. Not covered up like other jasmine teas I have tried. The Caramel Black tea had a less strong black tea background with more of a "hint" of caramel. I enjoyed this one, obviously, with a little milk and sugar. Great taste for dessert.
Overall, these are all very delicious teas. I only tried them hot, but if you like it cold then I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Great gifts for the tea lovers or other foodies in your life. I'm already hooked on the blooms.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18