Profile for Truth Teller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 326

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Truth Teller RSS Feed (Colorado, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Acer Aspire AXC-603-UB17 Desktop
Acer Aspire AXC-603-UB17 Desktop
Price: $259.99
3 used & new from $144.49

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, so don't expect miracles, May 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very entry level computer that fits the bill for what I wanted to do with it - web browsing / word processor for the kids. However, it comes with bloatware that really slows it down. Honestly, at this price, don't expect more than what you are getting.

The first thing you probably should do is install the latest Ubuntu over top of it and get rid of Windows 8.1. This is easy to do. Just get a bootable desktop ubuntu USB from their website. This will give you a basic desktop operating system without bloatware, but also include some free office replacements (Libre Office). It isn't necessarily something for everybody, but I got my kids setup with it and it works great.

You can then give them their own limited rights account and set them up with Firefox. I also installed an extension on Firefox that let's you blacklist or whitelist specific websites. In addition, you want to set up that computer to use Norton connectsafe DNS server. This is really easy to do and I would give you a link if Amazon didn't strip those out. Just google it. You can have different levels of protection and you can really turn it up high to prevent them from going to undesirable web sites.

And just like that, you'll have a very serviceable web browser / homework computer for the kids.

As for out of the box, this thing isn't particularly usable due to too much bloatware on it. You should strip out McAfee and my recommendation would be Norton Internet Security. It uses a lot less CPU than McAfee and is more powerful than Windows Defender.

Speedminton Fun Badminton Set
Speedminton Fun Badminton Set
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Admit it, badminton is a pain to set up and tear down. Just get this and skip straight to playing., May 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let's be honest, by the time you set up a full badminton set, you'll be luck to still want to set it up. And then you have to tear it down. The "net result" is that you spend more time setting up and tearing down than playing. Especially with younger kids. This game basically lets you set up your own rules and recognizes the fact that really you just want to swat something back and forth.

The rackets are super lightweight and seem fairly well made. They are also compact. This will now be included in the bin of camping fun. If we lived by a beach, I'd probably take them to the beach as well.

Jackson Safety 25674 V50 Calico Polycarbonate Anti Fog Safety Eyewear, Amber
Jackson Safety 25674 V50 Calico Polycarbonate Anti Fog Safety Eyewear, Amber
Price: $15.34
2 used & new from $7.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well. Not for over glasses. Wish they had come with strap that goes over the ear pieces, May 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've got a few safety goggles and now I will only be using the other ones when I'm wearing my glasses (not contacts). They look good, fit well, and are very lightweight. They also came with a nice little carrying pouch. They lightweight foam around the edges seals out debris, but also is not deep enough to wear over glasses.

These come with a cool ability to choose between either strap to your head or over the ear pieces. Pretty nice feature, but really, I'd rather it have come with a simple band that allowed me to hang them around my neck when not wearing, but use the earpieces when I am wearing them. I don't necessarily want the strap to hold them to my face.

Not a knock on my rating, but the instruction book was hilarious. Its like the Rosetta stone for deciphering symbols on the safety goggles. The same booklet must be put into every possible pair of glasses they sell. However, 95% of the double sided 10 pages of symbols is just repeating itself in other languages. And the real description of what the symbol actually means probably would require googling it. Really, no affect on the glasses rating themselves. Just kind of a "they know nobody reads this crap anyway, so they didn't bother to do anything but meet various legal requirements with it."

Epson Expression Home XP-320 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner & Copier
Epson Expression Home XP-320 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner & Copier

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, April 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ease of Setup: The setup was easy to follow and do. I set it up on the desktop, but not on the laptop yet.

Ease of Use: Printing and copying works easy enough. Once I understood using the symbol system on the keys indicating which button to push for your next function is useful. Would help if I would look at the User's Guide. There are only 256 pages of information to review.

Quality of print: I am satisfied with the print quality. I printed out a picture of an old corral against the backdrop of a canyon. Very clear and the detail of the wood grain came through very nicely.

Paper feed: Yes, the automatic paper feed would be nice for copying multiple sheets but, for the price we can can't complain. We don't make multiple copies very often. Our old multi-feed printer has a hard time picking up a single sheet. Had to bump the paper to get the single sheet to take. Otherwise putting one sheet at a time on to the scanner glass was easier to do.

I think it will serve our needs for a long time. It is nice and compact as well.

Seagate Personal Cloud Home Media Storage Device 4TB NAS STCR4000101
Seagate Personal Cloud Home Media Storage Device 4TB NAS STCR4000101
Price: Click here to see our price
34 used & new from $165.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and works well for home NAS, April 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am apparently in the minority, based on the other reviews.

Hardware setup couldn't be easier.
My primary interest was data backup / NAS
Getting seagate dashboard up to date was a little annoying (I think I had to run the installer twice).
But once setup, seems pretty intuitive and easy to me.

The personal cloud web interface is pretty easy to use. Their are a lot of options and settings that I appreciate. I have SMB (windows), AFP (Mac), FTP, SFTP, uPNP, DLNA, iTunes, WebDav, TimeMachine.

Basically all the ways I want to connect to it and all easily enabled and disabled. A couple of cool options are that you can attach an external drive to it and have it back itself up. You can also have it sync up to dropbox or google drive.

I didn't try the external cloud sync yet, because I wear a tinfoil hat and am too afraid to let anything I don't personally approve leave my house to the real cloud.

I think it seems a tad slow, so taking one star off for that. But at a price point under $200 this offers a lot of functionality.

I see that I can add photos, so I'm going to include a photo of somebody's big toe.
Comment Comment | Permalink

GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Enhanced Clarity Technology for Wireless Handsfree Calling , Audio / Music Playback , and USB Charging in Your Car or Vehicle ** Includes Micro USB Charger & 3.5mm Audio Cables! **
Offered by BuySPRY
Price: $59.99
14 used & new from $56.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Great way to add bluetooth audio, March 15, 2015
This works great with my Samsung Galaxy S5. With my car, I was able to use this to receive bluetooth media and let the phone still connect to the bluetooth speaker phone built into my car. So, I can still answer calls via my steering wheel controls and built in mic in the car, but listen to music or google maps instructions via the stereo system. Why my car doesn't have bluetooth media as well, I don't know, but this device has made me pretty much forget about that limitation. Luckily, I have an auxiliary power input in my center console, so I just plugged it inside the console and have pretty much forgotten that it is in there. Bluetooth reconnects just fine.

I ended up going with using the auxiliary input from this to the car because the sound quality was a bit higher and more reliable than FM. I also found the auto FM scanning feature to not really work quite how I'd expect. Only downside with Aux is that there seems to be a little bit on a "whine" to it when I'm not actually playing music from my phone. I don't know if that is a problem with the device of this. But when I'm playing music, it sounds really good.

MSI Computer Corp. Computer Video Graphics Cards R9 270X GAMING 4G
MSI Computer Corp. Computer Video Graphics Cards R9 270X GAMING 4G
Price: $284.67
12 used & new from $151.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, quiet performer., March 15, 2015
Great value card. It is quiet, installs easy, and the software self-updates with little obtrusion. I use it on Windows 8.1 with an i7-4770 CPU. I have a 460 watt power supply and so far this seems to be adequate. If you have a really compact case, you probably won't be able to fit this card in your case, because it is quite long. So, check the dimensions.

I bought this card to aid with video editing performance while giving a boost to gaming performance. I spent a LOT of time trying to decide to go with this OpenCL based card or a Nvidia Cuda card. Ultimately, I decided to base my decision on the video editing software support for the software I use. So, if you plan to do video editing make sure that the software you use supports OpenCL based hardware rendering or this may not actually help you. In my case, OpenCL seemed to be appropriate and since this card rated higher for other tasks than the comparably priced Nvidia products, I went with it.

FRAM CF11173 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
FRAM CF11173 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
Price: $15.59
8 used & new from $15.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for 2010 Nissan Murano, March 15, 2015
This works great in my 2010 Nissan Murano. Replacing it was difficult due to design of the Murano. I had a hard time getting the cover back on, but that was not due to the filter.

Kensington KP400 Switchable Bluetooth Keyboard for Windows PC, iPad or Android Tablets and iPhone or Android Smartphones (K72322US)
Price: $47.87
36 used & new from $47.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice full size keyboard, March 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This keyboard addresses most of my complaints that I have about my two other bluetooth keyboards. Now it is just a matter of me deciding which one to use depending on the situation.

This is a FULL size keyboard. It is not compact and may not make the best travel companion, however this is not necessarily intended to fill that role. I have two compact bluetooth keyboards and they can be nice for flying or in the car. However, with prolonged use they make my hand stiff and wrist achy. Since this one is larger, I don't have that problem. I'm still not sure that I would take this keyboard on a flight because it simply would not fit very well in my backpack.

I really like that it can use bluetooth or USB. Bluetooth keyboards can sometimes feel a little laggy (not respond as quickly to all the key presses). With the USB option you'll never get that and you'll never run out of battery.

My main reason for knocking a star off is that the shift keys and the space key are kind of "clicky" sounding. The letter keys are all very, very quiet, so I don't know why they couldn't have made the shift and space key silent as well.

Overall, very solid product.

BUFFALO Air Station Extreme AC 1900 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router (WXR-1900DHP)
Offered by Computer Brain
Price: $188.56
14 used & new from $140.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup and use. Solid connection., March 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Set up was very easy with this router and I've been using it hiccup free for a couple weeks now. I also have a D-LINK AC-DIR 868 router, which has served well. I left them both running and put half my devices on the Buffalo and half on the D-Link. So far there hasn't been any appreciable difference between them. Both provide solid connectivity and my ISP speed tests have come back about the same (no surprise there).

The Buffalo seems to have a slightly bigger range that the D-link. This might be due to the obviously larger antennas on this one, which also make it a lot more obtrusive and obvious, limiting where you might place the device.

I do like the built in usage of norton connectsafe on the device. This is something anybody can do with their router (just change the DNS server to the right norton server), however this speaks to my final point. The UI on the Buffalo is much easier to administer than the dlink and makes it really easy to setup different parental control levels (different norton servers) for different networks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20