Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Profile for Mary Hansen > Reviews

Browse

Mary Hansen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary Hansen "Rose" RSS Feed (Oregon)

SAT Subject Tests: Literature 2005-2006 (Kaplan SAT Subject Tests: Literature)
SAT Subject Tests: Literature 2005-2006 (Kaplan SAT Subject Tests: Literature)
by Kaplan
17 used & new from $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK, October 11, 2005
Unless you just like to waste money, do not buy this book. It was a complete waste of time. I went through every chapter, completed the practice tests, and went into my SAT Literature test feeling confident, and came out wanting to kill myself. In my opinion, there is nothing you can do to study for this test. You are either good at analyzing literature, or you're not. It is impossible to study for this test within a two-month period. Maybe I would've been more successful if I had started studying when I was seven, instead of seventeen.

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska
Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska
by Mark Kelley
Price: $22.95
87 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Ignore the Essays!, October 6, 2005
My family has a summer cabin on the outskirts of Glacier Bay National Park, and I have seen the park from both air and water. The book catches every image of Glacier Bay a human being would ever want to see. Those who view this book and then visit the park might even be disappointed, because the park and landscape is so overwhelming that you often get so caught up in the enormity of the country rather than the small elements that form the picture. Anyways, yes, the pictures are fantastic. But even better are the essays. Sherry Simpson is one of the most over-looked yet talented writers in the modern world. The essays she wrote for this book are truly amazing. For more works by Sherry Simpson, pick up a copy of Alaska magazine sometime, she writes for it, and you MUST read "The Way Winter Comes" which is a collection of Alaska stories that are anything but mundane.

The Notebook
The Notebook
by Nicholas Sparks
587 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Lukewarm, February 21, 2005
This review is from: The Notebook (Hardcover)
So far, I've read two of Sparks' novels - neither have impressed me. The author is very unimaginative with his plot and word choices. How he became so popular is beyond me. Within the first few chapters, any intelligent reader can dissect the rest of the book to figure out the ending, which is, by the way, unsurprising. I would only recommend this book to preteen girls - they might find some depth to the story.

Sayonara
Sayonara
by James A. Michener
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and heartbreaking, December 30, 2004
This review is from: Sayonara (Mass Market Paperback)
I have just began to read Michener's novels, but have enjoyed none more than Sayonara. It varies from his typical writing style... he writes with passionate human emotion to describe racism, love, and culture. This is an amazing and important novel for Americans. Although the story line is somewhat predictable, the language is simple and graceful. It glows with insight on contrasting Japanese ideas on land, country, and marriage. I couldn't get enough of this book. It was spectacular.

A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition
A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, Twenty-fifth Anniversary Edition
by Norman Maclean
Price: $7.95
306 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, November 11, 2004
This book is suited for anyone who has ever felt a twinge of emotion for something or someone other than themselves. A River Runs Through It will sweep through your heart and leave images in your mind long after the pages are read. It is so beautifully written that I found myself reading the same page over and over again. Anyone who passes this book up as a book about 'fishing' is missing out on one of the greatest achievements in American literature. It is amazing.

Reading the River: A Voyage Down the Yukon
Reading the River: A Voyage Down the Yukon
by John Hildebrand
Price: $14.46
57 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. A marvel of a tale., April 7, 2004
Having once been an Alaskan traveler myself, I found myself slightly skeptical before plucking this tattered book off the shelf. Everything I'd read of modern Alaska seemed wrong, off-key, and too liberal or too commercialized. But after skimming through a few pages, I was hooked. Never before have I found such wonderful, accurate descriptions of the land, its people, and the emotional tracks it leaves on a person. Somehow, I assumed I was alone in my journeys and my memoirs of Alaska, and unable to share them with people. Here is a man who has weaved together a beautiful adventure, honest and simple. I felt as though I was reading a diary of my own excursions in the North. Reading the River is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. I recommend it to anyone who has ever wondered what draws people away from the city, for those living in the city who craves the wild, and to every dreamer, explorer, and 'old-timer'.