Profile for Catherine S. Vodrey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 431

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Catherine S. Vodrey RSS Feed (East Liverpool, Ohio United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mawson's Will: The Greatest Polar Survival Story Ever Written
Mawson's Will: The Greatest Polar Survival Story Ever Written
by Lennard Bickel
Price: $13.15
95 used & new from $0.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying and a terrific read, June 8, 2014
Douglas Mawson's name has been mostly lost to most of us as the larger-than-life polar explorers like Amundsen and Shackleton and Scott have always been more famous. But Mawson's SOLO survival story is better than all theirs put together. I first was made aware of this book via a "New York Times" interview with Chelsea Handler, of all people, and she said it was one of the best books she'd ever read in her life and that it terrified her. I was truly intrigued, bought the book on her recommendation, and had the exact same visceral reaction to it.

Mawson was an Australian polar explorer who was originally asked to go on Robert Falcon Scott's fatal expedition, but Mawson had different research objectives and so raised money for his own trip. One by one, his men died. One by one, his dogs died. He survived on willpower alone and it is a fascinating and powerful story. He lived into his late 70s after having survived a trip that would have felled every strong person you can imagine. Just fascinating, both as a story of polar exploration and as a tale of the strength of the human will to survive.

Sterling Silver 8mm Round Blue Topaz Lever Back Earrings
Sterling Silver 8mm Round Blue Topaz Lever Back Earrings
Price: $26.22

5.0 out of 5 stars GORGEOUS and great price!, June 8, 2014
I got these as a high school graduation gift for my daughter, as her birthstone is topaz. These were a BEAUTIFUL bright blue, no visible flaws, and boy, was the price right. VERY pleased with this purchase. and she LOVES her new earrings!

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Refill Rollers (Super Coarse) - Pack of 8
Emjoi Micro-Pedi Refill Rollers (Super Coarse) - Pack of 8
Offered by Gisselle Beauty
Price: $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as coarse as I'd like, June 8, 2014
The price is basically right, in terms of being far less expensive than the Emjoi brand rollers, but these are still fairly expensive and STILL not coarse enough. In my view, these should be coarse enough that you could use each roller over and over again at least a dozen or so times. After all, you're smoothing callouses, not filing down wood furniture. It makes me wonder if the folks who designed these had ANY sense of what callouses are actually like.

Having complained above, however, I will say that these rollers are terrific at smoothing callouses that are not too bad. They do NOTHING for the bottoms of my heels, but they do help keep the sides of my feet smooth and pretty.

Powerful Emjoi Micro-Pedi Callus Remover (Latest Edition)
Powerful Emjoi Micro-Pedi Callus Remover (Latest Edition)
Offered by ShaveNow
Price: $24.95
5 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but wish the rollers came in coarser versions, June 2, 2014
This little callous remover works great on its own terms, but they don't make rollers coarse enough to tackle my callouses.

Emjoi Micro-Pedi Refill Rollers (Extra Coarse) - Pack of 6
Emjoi Micro-Pedi Refill Rollers (Extra Coarse) - Pack of 6
Offered by Gisselle Beauty
Price: $14.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as "extra-coarse" as advertised, June 2, 2014
These were fine for smoothing the sides of my feet, but forget it when it came to the callouses on the bottom of my feet. "Extra-coarse" is not how I would describe these.

Schottenfreude: German Words for the Human Condition
Schottenfreude: German Words for the Human Condition
by Ben Schott
Price: $12.61
80 used & new from $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a hoot!, February 3, 2014
SO, so funny. This is the perfect gift for ANYONE. I got multiple copies for Christmas gifts and will probably need to order more next year. Thanks so much!

Awkward Family Holiday Photos
Awkward Family Holiday Photos
by Mike Bender
Price: $11.74
164 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars We laughed until we wept, February 3, 2014

The Penguin Dictionary of Surnames (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Dictionary of Surnames (Penguin Reference Books)
by Basil Cottle
42 used & new from $0.72

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I've been searching for forever, February 3, 2014
I got this for my daughter the writer for Christmas--she is always on the lookout for good character names, and Basil Cottle's book is chock-full of them. Thanks so much!

Foreverly
Foreverly
Offered by zenky's choice
Price: $9.99
113 used & new from $2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, February 3, 2014
This review is from: Foreverly (Audio CD)
I got this for my Everly Brothers wingnut of a father for Christmas--what could be better than to show the beauty and flexibility and evergreen nature of the Everly Brothers than to have modern artists record their stuff? I was really impressed with this effort, and my dad (yay!) loved it too. Highly recommended!

Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow
Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow
by Elizabeth Lesser
Price: $9.91
213 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and thought-provoking resource, February 3, 2014
I am thrilled to have this book after having had it recommended to me by a friend. I look forward to sharing it with a couple of friends who are going through tough times at the moment. Many thanks!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20