Profile for Katy Lake > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 527

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Katy Lake RSS Feed (The People's Republic of New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jouer Tint, Petal
Jouer Tint, Petal
Price: $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty color, but meh on the delivery system, July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really do not like cream blush - way too hard to make it look natural while you're trying not to slide the rest of the makeup off your face. Jouer has a wonderful powder mineral blush I can't praise enough. The cream blush? Meh. Same problem as with all crem blushes.

This is highly pigmented, and comes in a case so small you could just barely hide a half dollar in it. The color is pretty, lighter than the swatch here.

I know there are a lot of women who like a greasy look to their skin. They think it makes them look more youthful. Who am I to tell them it makes them just look like they're the fry cook in the local diner? You can't use this on a powdered face; it only works with other grease....errr, liquids, such as liquid foundation.

I'm sure there is someone out there who is a wiz with cream blush. That person is not me. I'll stick to Jouer's amazing mineral blush while hopefully finding one of womenfolk who will take this off my hands.

L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Cream, 1.7 Ounce
L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Cream, 1.7 Ounce
Price: $106.00
2 used & new from $106.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream cream for cooler days, July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been on a tear lately with expensive skin creams. I found a product in the Sisley line I adore, so I figured I must be missing a lot. Well, after going through a LOT of samples, I can honestly say that there are as many good creams and treatments in the cheaper, even drug store lines, as in the creams that retail for $200, $300, and up (yes, they really exist.)

L'Occitane has always been one of my favorite body care lines - I adore their fragrances, and their lotions are long lasting and super silky. The Immortelle Divine Cream is my first encounter with a L'Occitane facial product, and I must say, it's a nice acquaintance.

If your skin is super dry year round, count this cream on the short list of holy grail items. It WILL hydrate your face! Very nice, silky cream, no oily residue. I like the little spatula you get to keep the container contaminant-free (this is standard with more expensive skin care lines that come in a jar.) If your complexion is like mine, combination skin, the Immortelle cream might be overkill in the hot weather. I really do not need super heavy hydration when it's 90 degrees in the shade.

I got this cream when it was still pleasant out, and I was pleased with the result. The onset of summer heat, though, has caused me to pack away the cream until the cool days of fall return.

But I will be using it again, for sure. I know it seems pricey, but compared to the super expensive creams I've tried, the size is actually quite nice. Maybe not the bargain of the century, but remember, this IS for your skin. If it works, and it doesn't break the bank, it's totally worth it. I'd definitely recommend it.

Moen DN7064 Bath Safety Shower Chair, Glacier
Moen DN7064 Bath Safety Shower Chair, Glacier
Price: $52.75
9 used & new from $30.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a spa experience? Shower chairs aren't just for old folks anymore, July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Several years ago, I got a shower chair to help me bathe after recovering from major surgery. I never had a chair in a shower before, and it was invaluable to me while I was recuperating. I really liked it, though - it's great to have a place to sit while you're doing hair masks (you're way more likely to wait 10 minutes if you aren't just standing there!) It also made leg shaving a breeze. So long after I had a medical need for a shower chair, I kept it in the bath.

The first one I got was very utilitarian, direct from a medical supply store. The Moen chair is definitely a huge step up. The chair is attractive and super easy to put together. The back is rounded and lower than my med supply original, but it still makes showering and bathing very comfortable - no loss of utility, but a huge gain in attractiveness!

The legs of this chair, unlike the aluminum legs on my original, are easy to adjust for height and the same color as the chair. It makes it look less like a piece of medical equipment and more of a luxury item. And although this isn't something you'll ever think of until you use one of these chairs, the seat isn't slippery. Imagine you're soaping yourself up and you go sit down without rinsing off...let's put it this way, sliding off a slippery seat can make you feel like you're on a log flume ride! (and the log landed on you!)

Probably my favorite detail is the slot for your hand-held shower. I put a super long hose on mine (washing blinds in the tub, dog bathing, etc.), so I never have to worry about the hose jumping all over the place. The slot in the seat, though, is a thoughtful addition. Suppose your eyes are closed because your performing your tonsorial ablutions; you never have to fish around for the hand-held shower - it's right at your side.

By the way, the price on this chair at this writing IS phenomenal (less than fifty-three bucks.) That is a STEAL...my ugly medical store variety, which is virtually the same except a whole lot more hideous, was almost $200! If you want some comfort in your shower, to elevate it a step up to a real spa retreat, you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Moen shower chair. I highly, highly recommend it.

Lingerie Bag / Delicates Wash Bag (2) for Delicate Laundry - 10 Inch X 14 Inch and 26 Inch X 19 Inch - Commercial Grade, Made in the USA and Built to Last for Years - No Zipper to Fail, Snag and Break - Buy Quality Lingerie Wash Bags That Will Outlast and Outperform All Others
Offered by Keeble Outlets™
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The last laundry bags you'll ever need, June 30, 2014
I'm still amazed not everyone uses laundry bags. I've used these things since I graduated to wearing brassieres; it's how you do delicate lingerie well and quickly in a washing machine on the delicate cycle (no more Woolite for me!) You then throw the bags in the dryer on low, and your fine clothing comes out perfect with minimal effort.

The Keeble lingerie bags are different in one way: no zipper. The two bags (a conventional lingerie-sized bag and a huge one in which you can wash all the lingerie you bought for the last decade all at once) come with a drawstring. There's a plastic locking mechanism on the drawstring that keeps it tight until you open it again.

The bags are well made. It's hard to imagine that anything will EVER destroy them. They both performed well through a washing and dryer cycle. Having said that, I still wish they had come with zippers. I simply prefer them; the locking mechanism held the bags shut, but it can be a bit difficult to slide open and closed. That may loosen up as the bags are used more.

That quibble aside, I'd totally recommend these items as indispensible for the well-furnished laundry room. If you haven't used them, you don't know what you're missing in terms of safety and convenience; if you're looking to replace your old standbys, they will be the last laundry bags you will EVER need.

***I received this item in return for a fair and objective review.

Remington Products S6301 3 In 1 Straightener
Remington Products S6301 3 In 1 Straightener

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there a perfect styling tool?, June 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If there isn't, the Remington Ultimate Stylist comes pretty freaking close!

I don't know what it is, but my hair's texture seems to be changing as I age (gag.) It's not easily smooth like it used to be. I have zero desire for stick-straight hair, but I'd love some of the smoothness that goes with that, but in my experience, once you use a straightener, that's IT. Curl and volume are out until you wash your hair again and start from scratch.

This product claims to do all three, and I was a tad skeptical. Once my hair was dry, I plugged in the styler - it heated up fast, and 'heat' is no exaggeration. This thing means business! It worked fine as a straightener; within a few minutes I slipped on the volumizer and it managed to give some volume to the areas that had just been straightened. Not as much as I wanted, but then, I've never got any volume at all on straightened hair. Volume and shine with the same styling tool - that really is a first.

I was looking to try some curve to the ends (not curl, per se, just some movement to break up all the straight lines.) The curling element was easy to swap into the unit. This was perhaps the easiest thing to use; a few seconds on each hair section and my hair was swinging.

I'm really impressed with this unit. It's not perfect (a little TOO hot; the straightener isn't my favorite tool), but it really does manage to perform all three tasks - straighten, volumize and curl - and it's pretty good at two goals (straighten and curl) and not bad on the third.

I'd recommend it.

Jet Set: The People, the Planes, the Glamour, and the Romance in Aviation's Glory Years
by William Stadiem
Price: $17.71
66 used & new from $13.44

4.0 out of 5 stars An aviational 'Mad Men', June 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a confirmed reader of non fiction books, but it's sometimes hard to find one that is reliable enough with details and yet fun enough for a summer read. 'Jet Set' fills both needs. In fact, I didn't make it through the first chapter without being continually reminded of the AMC drama 'Mad Men,' one of my favorite all-time shows.

'Mad Men' is in its last season, and is currently on hiatus. If the antics of Don Draper & Co. have you as captivated as me, you will LOVE 'Jet Set.'

The time frame of 'Jet Set' is the same as 'Mad Men,' but that's not where the similarities end. Author William Stadiem has a breezy, slightly snarky, but educated style that is perfect for a summer read. Unlike other reviewers, though, I don't think he falls over into National Enquirer territory. The book is well researched, and I learned a lot I didn't know about the period.

I'm also rather enchanted with the whole 'Coffee, Tea or Me?' era. It's a fun, light read, but with just enough real info to keep the scrupulous reader enthralled. If you want a good beachy book and you love non fiction like I do, this will become one of your favorite tomes for Summer 2014.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 11:48 AM PDT

Belkin QODE Fast Fit Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Case for iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina Display, White/Silver (F5L153ttC01)
Price: Click here to see our price
8 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant netbook, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Belkin's keyboard case is just superb. It turns an iPad mini into the netbook you always wanted Apple to make. The keyboard itself is a nice size and functional (especially if you're used to typing on wireless keyboards like I am.) It's well made and syncs perfectly with the IPad. The keyboard latches onto the iPad and closes almost like a Macbook. A perfect fit if you want the functionality of a Mac and need the convenience of a keyboard. Recommend!

Pencil by FiftyThree - Graphite
Pencil by FiftyThree - Graphite
Price: $59.95
4 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful feel in the hand..., June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You'd think that the way the stylus works would be everything, but if you're using a stylus for any length of time, how it feels (an extension of you) becomes more and more important. The Pencil is easy to hold, silky smooth tactile sensation, and gripping it doesn't exhaust my hand.

It's easy to recharge and holds the charge for a respectable amount of time. The point is a bit thick, so detail work isn't its strong suit, but that's a quibble. It goes from marker to pencil to eraser with ease - you can get quite creative with minimum effort.

Yeah, it's on the pricey side, but for the pleasure you can get from ratcheting up your creativity, it's totally worth the expense.

Olympus WS-821 Voice Recorders with 2 GB Built-In-Memory
Olympus WS-821 Voice Recorders with 2 GB Built-In-Memory
Price: $55.24
24 used & new from $48.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb recorder!, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use voice recorders when I do interviews, and then I usually transfer the recording to my laptop for reference when I'm writing an article. The Olympus recorder makes that whole process effortless! I've had many recorders, but none that worked as well or were as easy to transfer files to my Mac laptop.

The price is a bargain for a recorder with this many features (I love not having to fish out cables for the transfer; the built in USB plug is just genius!)

If you need a recorder to work spendidly, you cannot do better than the Olympus. I heartily recommend it.

Vitafusion Power C, Gummy Vitamins For Adults, 150-Count
Vitafusion Power C, Gummy Vitamins For Adults, 150-Count
Offered by Health core
Price: $15.95
18 used & new from $9.48

1.0 out of 5 stars Either great or gross, June 22, 2014
I love these gummies; they're a great, convenient way to get Vitamin C. That is, if the bottles you get are actually sealed, and if you buy them during warm weather, you will not get individual gummies. You will open a bottle where all the gummies will have melted together into a big, congealed BLOB. Other reviewers have posted pictures of the same thing I got in the mail.

If this happens to you, email or call Amazon and get a replacement, or a refund. I'm going for the replacement, and hoping the weather is NOT warm when they deliver it!

UPDATE: Amazon did send a replacement while the weather took a breather from recent 90+ temps. The gummies were completely fine...but be forewarned if you order these when you're in a heat wave. You won't get gummies when you open the box; you'll get the Orange Blob!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20