Profile for Katy Lake > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 608

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Katy Lake RSS Feed (The People's Republic of New Jersey)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air, Black (F5L171ttBLK)
Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case for iPad Air, Black (F5L171ttBLK)
Price: $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality investment in your iPad you shouldn't pass up, October 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've had several cases with bluetooth keyboards, and I've liked all of them. But this Belkin absolutely blows them out of the water. There are several reasons for it.

First, the case itself is the best case I've ever had for an iPad. It's made of metal, incredibly well crafted, and has a substantial feel to it, like you have a real machine at your fingertips, and not something that will easily fall apart. The iPad sits easily in the case. It can be turned horizonally or verically with no effort, or detached from the magnetic hold.

The keyboard has a fine, quality feel to it. Your hands aren't as scrunched up as they are on other bluetooth keyboards in iPad cases (and I should know! I have enough of them!)

My only qualm, and it's a slight one, is that the case is relatively heavy, but that's probably the metal in its construction. I really thought it would be lighter. On the other hand, it is much lighter than the other iPad cases I've used, and they weren't even made of metal!

The only limiting thing about the Belkin is the price; it isn't cheap. But I can guarantee you you really will be getting the best case on the market, in my opinion, that will firmly and safely hold your device and make it extremely functional.

This is an investment, but it is an excellent one for the iPad aficionado. I totally recommend it.

Belkin Air Protect Case for Chromebooks (B2A069-C00)
Belkin Air Protect Case for Chromebooks (B2A069-C00)
Price: $47.82
21 used & new from $39.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price., October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's been awhile since I've seen a laptop case that made me stand up and take notice. The Belkin Air Protect is just superb - it's made the way you'd want a case to be constructed. Super sturdy, lots of space, well constructed with strong zippers, gussets, and other room-making devices for extra space. A nice touch is the ability to open your Chromebook (or similar laptop) by opening the case attached to device's top. The interior is well cushioned, but also provides a firm surface for the laptop to rest on.

The only improvement I can envision might be a choice of color (black is just so black after awhile!) Otherwise, very nice indeed for the price. Recommended for Chromebooks and other compatibles.

CAD Audio U9 Condenser Microphone, Omni
CAD Audio U9 Condenser Microphone, Omni
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely solves video sound issues, October 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The CAD Audio U9 solved a huge problem of my voice not being picked up without sound distortions while videotaping. The microphone fits easily into my Mac USB port. The microphone swivels easily and in all directions; voices can be heard loud and clear 8 feet away (as far as I've done it so far.)

If you want to make quality videos without echo, distortion, or low sound problems, this is the best $23 (at this writing) you can invest to easily solve the problem!

Vega Sport Performance Protein, Vanilla, Tub, 29.2 oz
Vega Sport Performance Protein, Vanilla, Tub, 29.2 oz
Price: $50.88
10 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a vegan protein drink (just don't forget the ice), October 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I often use a powdered protein supplement in place of lunch (and sometimes dinner), so I'm pretty aware of what's out there, how they perform, and pretty importantly, how they taste. Vega Sport (in vanilla) is a vegan, all plant based mix, sweetened with Stevia. It makes a pretty good shake when it's iced up; without ice, it's not nearly as good (which should tell you something about the flavor.)

The ingredients are excellent and well chosen, the drink itself filling and refreshing (again, w/ice.) It's also probably the biggest container of a protein drink I've ever seen, with an enormous scoop; I use a bit less than called for to conserve on calories and make it stretch.

At this price point, though, I'd probably expecting better flavor. Maybe the chocolate's got more going for it. If I could find this on sale, yes, I'd probably buy it when there's a sale.

Natural Balance Fat Dogs Low Calorie Dry Dog Formula, 15-Pounds
Natural Balance Fat Dogs Low Calorie Dry Dog Formula, 15-Pounds
Price: $34.99
11 used & new from $29.50

3.0 out of 5 stars More expensive than higher rated low fat dog kibble, October 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My rescue dog, a Norwegian Elkhound, is like the rest of her breed - she has a tendency to gain weight and eat everything in sight. I have her on Wellness CORE, a high quality reduced fat pet food, but I'm always willing to try something new in the battle of doggie bulge.

Other Natural Balance treats my dog loves, but this is perhaps the first thing I've given her that she turned her nose up at (well, almost. She picked at it, cause she wouldn't be a true Elkhound if she didn't eat everything that wasn't nailed down.) I figured that this wasn't a hit, so I mixed it in with her regular low cal food. She ate it all, no problem.

I can't see how this is going to be a good idea if she's not fond of it, but even more so, that it's even more expensive than the food I give her, Wellness CORE, which is highly rated by Dog Food Advisor. (I say it's cheaper, but that's because I buy it through Amazon Subscribe and Save, which gives a good discount.)

When low fat Wellness CORE is available, I can't imagine why anyone would buy this. I love Natural Balance products, but this food is a no-go. Pass.

Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite
Without You, There Is No Us: My Time with the Sons of North Korea's Elite
by Suki Kim
Price: $15.18
42 used & new from $13.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look behind the last Bamboo Curtain, October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Trying to get good information on North Korea is like trying to find out what daily life was like in the mythical continent of Atlantis. In the world of the Internet, it seems almost impossible to believe that a nation like North Korea COULD exist, but it does - it's an Orwellian creation. The biggest gulags in the world are in North Korea, but there are many smaller ones, including those of the mind. These are the walls that author Suki Kim gives us a glimpse over.

Kim was a teacher with a group of Christian missionaries who was allowed to teach the sons of the communist state's privileged class. 'Privileged,' though, is a relative term. Everything in North Korea is so grey, so rote, so propaganized that you soon realize there is almost no way for the truth to make it through. That's what makes Kim's book so fascinating.

She is one of the few people to give a long term insider's look to what it's like to be in the People's Republic. I'm frankly amazed she made it six months - Kim has an interesting personality, but hardly one I would've guessed would've flourished under such horrific, depressing conditions.

Her insights into North Korea, how she handles the oppressive conditions, and the tidbits about tomorrow's future automatons of the state are fascinating. If you ever wanted to know anything about North Korea, this book is, in my opinion, the best place to start searching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2014 4:09 PM PDT

The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered
The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered
by Laura Auricchio
Price: $22.23
49 used & new from $11.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting history of an essential 18th century man, October 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It amazes me so many Americans are ignorant about a man who had so much to do with the beginnings of this nation. The Marquis de Lafayette was an incredible man, and Laura Auricchio details his life and the impact he had in a great book. The story is detailed and requires some effort; this isn't a light, quick read, nor should it be. Lafayette was a man of honor and great complexity, and Auricchio's tales does him justice.

What's interesting to me is Lafayette's life after the American Revolutionary War - that is, how he endured the French Revolution. The two 'revolutions' could not have been more dissimilar: the American venture ended in a nation, the French overthrow ended in the guillotine. Lafayette's survival of the French debacle makes for a very interesting and enlightening read.

For students of history and human nature, I can't recommend this book highly enough.

Elsa Schiaparelli: A Biography
Elsa Schiaparelli: A Biography
by Meryle Secrest
Price: $25.37
56 used & new from $17.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bio if you are a Schiaparelli novice, October 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Being interested in fashion, the name Elsa Schiaparelli is always at the fore of headstrong, unique designers of the early 20th century. I was also aware that Shiaparelli was the matriarch to Berry and Marisa Berenson, who were iconic in their own right (Marisa, an actress and a dilettante of the Studio 54 crowd, and sister Berry, who was a photographer and the wife of 'Psycho' star Anthony Perkins. She was also one of the people murdered on 9/11 when the plane she was on crashed into the World Trade Center.)

Considering what I knew of Schiaparelli was mostly what I had read via her articles on her granddaughters, I was pretty much an open book for whatever this bio would present. It's in depth, such as it is; you learn how she was raised, how she was a rebel, how she had - at the least - very interesting and an unusual class of friends. Paris right before Hitler's invasion of France is fascinating - it's so incredibly obtuse, so superbly decadent, you can just see people not trying very hard at all to imagine that they're in a world where concentration camps are going to soon be the norm. Author Secrest, whether she means to or not, puts you right in the center of it. It's horribly fascinating (and you can definitely see some parallels to modern conscious stupidity to ignore the great dangers we're facing right now in the world.)

I came away with knowing a lot more about the grand mere of les soeurs Berenson. Fascinating stuff, indeed.

Winsome Wood 29-Inch Saddle Seat Stool, Walnut
Winsome Wood 29-Inch Saddle Seat Stool, Walnut
Price: Click here to see our price
25 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice stool, and not nearly as hard to put together as some say, October 8, 2014
It's been awhile since I've put together any furniture, and after fiddling with this stool, I can see why. I did this all by myself, and it took about an hour. The good news is that it really is a NICE stool, very well made, solid wood with a nice finish.

The bad news is that you're going to have to figure this out by looking at diagrams. It's not terribly hard, but it really helps if you have hand strength (not a strong suit for me.)

My advice: first, do NOT tighten any of the screws all the way until you are ready to fasten the legs to the seat. The 'play' in the legs is necessary to adjust the structure to fit to the seat. You're also going to want to twist the slats between the legs so they fit correctly and tightly. You can't do this until the leg frame is firmly attached to the seat.

Second, be careful with the screws. They're made of brass and are very easy to strip. Since I don't have a ton of hand strength, I miraculously didn't strip any of them. Only go for broke with tightening after the seat is attached to the legs.

If you're looking for a well made stool and you want to save a few bucks, you cannot go wrong with this. I recommend it - good, solid purchase

DII Oeanique Machine Washable 100% Cotton Ribbed Woven Luxury Spa Bath Rug, 17 x 24", Cream

3.0 out of 5 stars Looking for a bath mat? Keep shopping., October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The idea of this bath mat is better than the execution. First, I knew it was small, but you've NO notion how small it is until you take it out of the package and put it in front of your tub. Second, you're not going to want to step on it right out of the tub; it's very slippy on a tile floor. For anyone not steady on their feet, this is an ER visit waiting to happen.

It washes and dries like a lot of cotton things, meaning, a ton of lint. That doesn't surprise me. What does is that it isn't as inexpensive as it should be for what it is.

I'd recommend you try Bed Bath & Beyond with one of their 20 percent off coupons - you'll definitely get a better mat at a better price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20