Profile for Charles R. Driggars > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Charles R. Driggars "olyx" RSS Feed (Birmingham, AL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Bausch and Lomb PreserVision AREDS Formula Eye Vitamins - 150 Softgels
Bausch and Lomb PreserVision AREDS Formula Eye Vitamins - 150 Softgels
Offered by great bargainz
Price: $38.99
11 used & new from $33.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff., January 21, 2014
Retina doc suggested. Good stuff. I think. I mean, who the heck knows? It is all about the retina. It is about vision. It is about sight. And heck, if someone told you to paint yourself green and jump up and down in order to save your sight, wouldn't you do it?

Quicksand
Quicksand
by John Brunner
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
72 used & new from $0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, January 21, 2014
This review is from: Quicksand (Mass Market Paperback)
This is not an easy book to read. And I disagree with those who say the ending is deus ex machine. The ending is existent in every thought and motion of the main character, a psychologist trying to save his own life and sanity with every strength he can muster. This is a science fiction novel...but not really. It is a powerful, heartbreaking examination of the self-awareness and ultimately self-destructive power of belief and true love. It is about one's deepest desires....and the impossibility ...even in the face of the miraculous...of ever attaining those desires. I loved the book. I just don't think I can read it again.
Olyx
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 2:57 AM PDT

Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake (New Edition) (Sandman (Graphic Novels))
Sandman Vol. 10: The Wake (New Edition) (Sandman (Graphic Novels))
by Neil Gaiman
Price: $12.61
63 used & new from $8.61

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sandman cometh...and conquers, February 18, 2013
My son turned me onto the Sandman series, and I became hooked, eventually getting all of the issues. The culmination of the series was sad, hilarious, strange, and weirdly perfect. Gaiman is an enormous talent (read his novels, if you have not)--and while all of the Sandman stories are great, among the best are the Wake. The artistry is awesome; the final wrapping us seems to have been fated from the first books. I have never been a great fan of graphic novels --but Gaiman has changed my view. His stories are intriguing, intelligent, dreamlike, sometimes confusing, intricate, and always full of his love of the character and the stories. This is a man serious about his craft, and , I hope, as proud of his work as he should be. The Sandman series is just about the best graphic novel I've ever read--nope, strike that. It IS the best. Hope you like it.

Donnie Darko (Widescreen Edition)
Donnie Darko (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by *best-deal*
Price: $15.99
170 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Any film with over 300 reviews, June 25, 2003
has got something going for it. I think the movie hits the literary equivalent of the "personal fallacy," wherein because something hits someone hard for personal reasons, they tend to rate it higher as "art" than it, perhaps, deserves. Well, I am one of the victims of the fallacy. While flawed, it has some genuinely beautiful moments and captures the strange and dreamlike world of some teenagers perfectly. For all of us who grew up feeling possibly border-line schizophrenic, its weirdness is like--oh, I don't know-- going back in time.

Best Evidence (Signet)
Best Evidence (Signet)
by David S. Lifton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
30 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahead of his time, April 18, 2003
I sort of doubt anyone will get to the 26th review of this book, but in case some obsessive-compulsives like myself do so, let me add my two cents. This is, to me, the best documented, most clearly cited, and most interesting of the many Kennedy assassination books I've read since I became hooked on the topic a few years ago. Only recently (2003) have I heard on the news confirmation of one of Lifton's main points--that the body of the President stopped for some amount of time at the army hospital before it went on to Bethesda--whereas I'd always been under the impression it went from AFI to Bethesda by ambulance. It didn't. It went by helicopter. Which Lifton pointed out long ago.
It appears that revelations since the early nineties have supported the facts set out in Lifton's book, whether his ultimate conclusion is right or wrong. The guy did a yeoman's job in research (whoever said, "I wouldn't want him investigating my crime" had a good point). It is a fascinating read and becomes rather chilling in its discussion of the autopsy room.
Folks, we may never know what, but something went on . Heck, though I don't believe it, maybe Oswald WAS a lone gunman. But way too much strange stuff went on, completely unexplained officially, for anyone to believe there wasn't something going on. Its no wonder one of the first things Bill Clinton wanted to know when he became president was , "Who killed JFK?" I suppose he found out, but he'd have to kill us if he told us.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2007 6:42 PM PDT

Sophie's Choice
Sophie's Choice
by William Styron
Edition: Library Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily Good on Many Levels, December 7, 2001
This review is from: Sophie's Choice (Library Binding)
Sophie's Choice almost lost me in the first thirty pages or so, but thank goodness I hung in there. A tragic yet surprisingly non-depressing story (at times humorous, at times sad, but always compelling and riviting) of three people, Stingo (the narrator, a Southern youth yearning to be a writer living in the utterly strange world of New York), Nathan (Sophie's lover, brilliant, fascinating, and troubled) and of course Sophie, the beautiful Polish Auschwitz survivor who utterly captivates Stingo's imagination, who become, as Stingo quotes Sophie, "the closest of friends." And the friendship this lonely Southern young man develops with these two exotic (to him) individuals is at the heart of this compelling novel. Styron's story actually weaves together two stories: that of Stingo's journey of self-discovery "in a place as strange as Brooklyn" and that of Sophie, a "bruised and battered child[ren] of the earth," whose gently playful personality stuggles to survive her guilt about her past and her passionate but difficult and sometimes shocking relationship with Nathan. Styron accomplishes the difficult task of making the reader appreciate, understand, and even admire the character of Nathan by telling his story through Stingo's eyes, so despite Nathan's flaws, and indeed Sophie's as well, the love Stingo feels for them both is believable and moving. The gradually revealed tale of the concentration camp is grim and realistic, and Sophie's telling of it illuminates the source of the guilt which is destroying her : her choice, or choices--for there are many choices, although the one referenced in the title stands starkly, horrifying alone. By the end of the book, I loved Stingo, Nathan, and Sophie and while I did not exactly foresee the ending, afterward its inevitability...even its rightness...convinced me that this book was lovingly crafted by Styron. The movie, for which Meryl Streep deservedly won an Oscar, is a honorable attempt to be true to the heart and soul of this story, but only reading it allows one to experience its true power. Don't be discouraged if the first pages don't grab you; your patience will be rewarded with a gem of a book, a genuine work of literature, and something approaching, if not actually achieving, greatness.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2014 7:40 PM PDT

Cannery Row [VHS]
Cannery Row [VHS]
VHS
Offered by VHS movies for your VCR
Price: $4.99
52 used & new from $1.39

4.0 out of 5 stars "...But It Will Always Be My Responsibility", August 17, 2001
This review is from: Cannery Row [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Deeply flawed, awkward, and downright embarassing at times in the ineptness of the filmmaking, this is a movie that touches some people deeply, based primarily upon the excellent acting and chemistry of Winger and Nolte. Both are attractive , vulnerable, and sympathetic in this movie, and I don't think Winger has ever been more lovely. With its world of highly screwed up folks, it puts me in mind of -- well, try to imagine a warm and fuzzy version of The Iceman Cometh. My wife merely tolerates my movie-madness, but three movies of mine she truly loves, and this is fully 1/3 of them. And I think Nolte and Winger are great, and make the movie a flawed gem. And the title of this review is, to me, the magic moment in the film--that moment all movies which will ever stay in your heart must have.

All the Trouble in the World: The Lighter Side of Overpopulation, Famine, Ecological Disaster, Ethnic Hatred, Plague, and Poverty
by P. J. O'Rourke
Price: $13.50
216 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Funny Conservative?, July 17, 2001
Yes, its possible. That there is in real life a friendship between O'Rourke and Hunter S. Thompson has always struck me as being clear proof that God has a sense of humor. Read Thompson's Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 (when Thompson was at his best) and this book by O'Rourk, and even though they come from opposite poles politically, they are brothers in arms against hypocrisy and smugness. Yet, where Hunter has, in my opinion, lost some traction in the past few years, O'Rourke seems to keep getting stronger, more mature, and , simply, better. This is a funny, intelligent, entertaining, enlightening book. If you can't laugh at it, you are still a liberal. Give it a few years.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [VHS]
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [VHS]
VHS
6 used & new from $3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Admit It, May 13, 2001
--this tv movie is long, embarrassingly poorly produced, often silly beyond redemption, yet , at times, utterly hilarious, giving glimpses of what could have been a comic masterpiece. I will admit, I had a hard time reading the books; somehow the English dry/bizarre humor escaped me. Not until I saw this movie did it really begin to hit me, so for that reason I really LIKE this movie, despite its flaws. It is good natured, does not take itself too seriously, and, of course, the story is great. If ONLY the actual citations to the H.G. itself were longer: they were priceless. The video is (depending on your finances) worth purchasing just for those, as well as the scene at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Will the rumored movie attain the genius that is intermittently seen herein? I hope so. Especially since, sadly, Mr. Adams just passed away at an early age from a heart attack. A really good movie of his work would be a nice going away gift. And I have a feeling he'll be laughing it up in Heaven, saying something like "You just couldn't wait until they made a really GOOD movie from my book, could You?"

White City
White City
Offered by MediaNett
Price: $58.33
43 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel is right, March 6, 2001
This review is from: White City (Audio CD)
I guess it is a novel; it tells a story, in a way that reminds me, oddly enough, of Lou Reed's Berlin (but don't let me confuse you; they are NOTHING alike, musically or otherwise). Some of the tracks, particularly Give Blood, just seem to be Townshend at his most real and passionate. I have a feeling he loved this work. It shows.

Page: 1 | 2