Profile for Ahmed M. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ahmed M. RSS Feed

Sennheiser  HD 202 Dynamic Headphones (Old Version)
Sennheiser HD 202 Dynamic Headphones (Old Version)
Offered by Rover Mall
Price: $29.95
22 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay headphones, Superb Value, January 23, 2009
So I got the headphones a week ago, and have been burning them in ever since, so I think I have a pretty good sense of them by now.

6/10 Sound-wise. it's very robust / efficient, covers a really wide spectrum pretty equally so you can hear every note. I mean, you even hear things in music you've never noticed before, really! That said, it's a dull, unimpressive, and dark sound; For some reason, the music just doesn't feel alive -- just feels like noise. Also, there's no soundstage, no airiness -- it's as if you're standing straight in the middle of a band, instead of sitting with the audience -- The music is too much in-your-face instead of true surround. As for clarity of sound, the sound is a little muddy, not truly clear.

3/10 for Comfort. After really stretching out the headband for a while, and fiddling with it around your ears, it loosens up its "Sennheiser ViceGrip®" a bit, but an hour later, you'll start to feel the cups pressing into your ears again. Maybe my ears are larger than average or something but they don't fit inside the ear-cups; it like fits half of it and the other half sits on the pad. But this is a good thing because it makes sure your ears don't get too sweaty, and its also a bad thing cuz it squishes your ears from the vicegrip and that gets really uncomfortable after a while. And for some reason, after listening for a while, it feels like your eardrums are getting pressured/hammered by the sound from the headphones. I've listened to loads of headphones before, even pretty high-end ones, for extended periods, but this has never happened with any of them. I do love how lightweight they are though.

6/10 for Bass. I'm kind of disappointed; I was expecting a little more umph, but its alright. I guess if my ears could actually fit inside the cups I'd be getting a bit more bass, maybe.

8/10 for Isolation. It's very good at blocking out outside sounds and keeping in the headphone sounds despite the fact that it's only semi-circumaural. Even when music isn't playing, just putting them on blocks out ~25% of ambient sound.

9/10 for Value. It's $20 free shipping! The only thing that beats this in the price:performance ratio is my $5 Panasonic RP-HT21, which are great for the price.

Overall, a great value for $20, and great if you're going to be moving about or tossing them around. But if you're looking for some headphones for home use, like watching movies and such, you should spend a little more and get something else.

My overall rating: 6/10

Bass: 3/5
Durability: 4/5
Isolation: 3/5
Volume Sensitivity: 3/5

For a $3 pair of insanely comfortable, clear sounding headphones with some bass that you can feel, no other headphones will offer the value you will get for this one.

Yes, for $15 the Koss KSC75 does sound better but comfort goes down quite a lot with those as they're ear-clip headphones that don't want to stay on your head whilst you move and the ear clips are easy to lose, so you're sacrificing durability and comfort for sound quality.

Yes, for $50 the Sennheiser px100 does sound better, offer richer bass, and better volume sensitivity, but it's 15 times the price of these headphones. If you have the money though, they are definitely an upgrade from the RP-HT21.

I like the clear, fun sound from the RP-HT21 and the nice punchy bass that you can feel hitting your ears. And I especially LOVE its comfort. But I do admit the sound is a bit tinny compared to, say, the Koss UR40. Take my advice and take off the pads that come with the headphones and wear them raw - not only does this make the sound clearer and the bass punchier, but your ears will stay cool and comfortable also. I can wear these for 8+ hours and even sleep with them on. It fits my large head without even stretching it to its maximum length. The drivers themselves vertically adjust to your ears to add to the comfort. I once stepped on them and a driver popped out, but you just pop them back in and they're as good as new. I've owned these for a year now and these still sound and feel as great as day 1. Comes with an adequate 4-foot portable cord, and aesthetically looks okay so you can definitely wear them in public. It's a small thing, but I also like that it has an L-shaped plug. Yes, these are open headphones with no noise cancellation feature so they leak a bit of sound, but only enough so that the people really nearby can hear muffled if the volume is too high. And they don't block outside noise too well, but if you want isolation anyway, you have to buy some huge closed geek-phones, thereby sacrificing comfort and style.

Probably the best $3 you will ever spend, and after you take off the pads for these, I dare you to find something more comfortable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2013 4:21 PM PDT