Profile for The Dark Knight > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 103

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Dark Knight RSS Feed (Iowa United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Center Holds: Obama and His Enemies
The Center Holds: Obama and His Enemies
by Jonathan Alter
Price: $19.15
173 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, honest snapshot of the 2012 campaign!, March 28, 2014
Alter gives the reader a brief look at U.S. politics in the year-and-half prior to the 2012 election. This setup is to give the reader context, partially, as to why the election turned out the way it did.

Alter's more detailed account of the election itself is really unbiased; pointing flaws by both Obama and Romney. However, Romney, partially due to a long primary fight, ended up making more gaffes, flip-flops, and amateurish mistakes. On top of that, Romney clearly showed he was out of touch with middle class America. While Romney was caring and empathetic in private, for, whatever reasons, he and his campaign never showed that on the trail.

Romney's running of his campaign more as a business hurt his chances as well. Instead of adopting innovative analytics, like the Obama campaign did in both 2008 and 2012, he greatly hurt his chances of developing messages that resonated with voters. But his 47 percent remark did show a darker side to the man. The man responsible for shooting the video, Prouty, remembered how Romney was amazed at how, during the same speech Romney made the 47 percent remark, a fence was designed to keep people on the outside from coming into a sweatshop in China. Prouty remembered how Romney showed no sadness or empathy and was willing to pan to the Republican base after wrapping up the nomination instead of continuing to run a centrist campaign like he usually did during the primaries.

Obama made mistakes along the way, too. Obama was slow at making certain decisions at critical points in the campaign, which tended to hurt him at particular moments. Not to mention, in his first two years in office, he was so focused on learning the political game inside D.C. that he completely forgot that his greatest asset was the American people. When pushing Obamacare through, he regrets not stump-speeching more on the issue and this, unfortunately, led to Republicans spinning Obamacare successfully as "death panels."

Obama wasn't into schmoozing in the political arena either. He preferred to govern and get things done. Sadly, this led to many people, who were used to presidents schmoozing as part of their job, believing Obama to be arrogant and out of touch. This developed some heated, and in some cases broken, relationships Obama had created during his initial run for president in 2008. Obama was no fan of Romney either. In fact, he despised him. Obama thought Romney to be an empty suit who was out of touch with the poor and middle class and had a lot handed to him in life; to which there is a lot of truth in.

Obama admits to his first debate as being, not only his fault, but a complete failure. While he hated debates, he made sure he got his punches in the final two and took a couple of big ones at Romney in the final debate.

"The Center Holds" is a wonderful book that does a wonderful job at painting both candidates, and campaigns, in a humanizing and unbiased way. For those who love politics, and want to know a little bit more about the inner workings of the 2012 election, this book is worth your time!

Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence
Think Big: Unleashing Your Potential for Excellence
Offered by HarperCollins Publishing
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Misleading. Should Have Been Two Books., March 5, 2013
I recently got in on the Ben Carson craze and decided to pick this book up for my Kindle. Being one who is always trying to improve himself, I like what the book's description was telling me; only the book description tells about half the story.

The first two chapters are really great. They suck you in and give you an idea into what Carson is looking to do with the book. However, roughly 52%-54% of the book is devoted to people Carson has met over his life and he writes of their amazing lives and/or abilities. This is where, I think, the book was misleading.

I believe it to be misleading, because, even though I expected some autobiographical information to help make points on his THINK BIG philosophy, I wasn't expecting a book where a little more than half of it is an acknowledgment. I'm all for giving credit where it's due, and I'm glad Carson doesn't think that he did it all on his own, but I never got the impression that he would spend so much time covering these other individuals that are very vague in helping to make points on his THINK BIG philosophy.

What do I mean by vague? He starts off the book describing these individuals without diving into without describing what he believes THINK BIG is to his audience. Several times I read, "*INSERT NAME*, who thinks big...," and I was left wondering what it meant, in Carson's definition, to THINK BIG. I think it would have been more appropriate to describe what THINK BIG is followed by talking about the other individuals. This would help to drive home points better and it would be clearer how these individuals thought big in Carson's definition.

The second half of the book is where it's really at! That's where Carson starts diving into his THINK BIG philosophy and each letter in THINK BIG stands for something different. Here is what they stand for:

Talent/Time
Hope
Insight
Nice
Knowledge

Books
In-Depth
God

I found his philosophy to be refreshing, because he adds elements that I have not, or rarely, have heard of from other successful individuals in trying to describe their philosophy on success. (The best one, I still think, is Napoleon Hill in his book, "The Law of Success," which I recommend to everyone!) Not to mention Carson's philosophy is one of the more practical philosophies in attempting to live a fulfilling life.

All-in-all, the book was a bit misleading, because more than half was devoted to other individual's stories that I did not think would be present. The book also suffers a bit from the organization. If Carson was adamant about adding the stories of those individuals in this book, he should have clarified what THINK BIG was before telling their stories; I think that would have made his points stronger and clearer. I ended up skimming two chapters until I ended up at the part of the book where I wanted to be: Carson describing his THINK BIG philosophy.

Once you get to his philosophy, that's where the book really shines! I still would recommend this book to anyone looking to better him/herself and/or to figure out how to live a meaningful and fulfilling life; I would simply skip over the first half of the book and dive right into his philosophy. I would also recommend the Kindle edition as it only costs about $6.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 5:42 PM PDT

I Will See You in Heaven (Cat Lover's Edition)
I Will See You in Heaven (Cat Lover's Edition)
by Jack Wintz
Price: $13.17
72 used & new from $7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blessing, February 15, 2013
After losing my best friend, Sylvester, about a week-and-a-half ago, I began reading many of my cat books that I had put off seeing that many of them end up with the passing of beloved feline. This book was the first one I dived into.

The book is short, but to the point, and provides numerous examples of where Scripture clearly proves God also loves the animals of this world and they will be a part of the new Heaven and new earth.

Friar Jack Wintz's book is a tremendous blessing for anyone who has lost a beloved cat or dog. It truly has been a blessing for me. Someday, I will see my buddy, Sylvester, in Heaven!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 4:06 PM PST

Verso Rechargeable Arc Light for Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Keyboard (Graphite)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work, December 30, 2012
My wife purchased this light for me as a Christmas gift this year. The light was bright, but the only problem was that it never worked when detached from a power source. The green light, indicating it's fully charged, never appeared. I had the light charging, no kidding, for 16 hours the first time I plugged it in. Even when I detached it after those 16 hours of charging, it didn't work. I hooked it up to my computer thinking that may charge it successfully. It didn't.

I'm really disappointed in this light. If the product actually worked, it would be a very nice, bright light. I heavily advice Kindle users to not buy this product; it's awful.

Yongary Monster From the Deep / Konga (Double Feature)
Yongary Monster From the Deep / Konga (Double Feature)
DVD ~ Michael Gough
Offered by Blue Moon Discounts
Price: $6.11
34 used & new from $4.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for Yongary, December 22, 2012
Having a superior print of Yongary available is worth getting this double-feature! The movie is present very well and, while the movie, from a technical standpoint, is FAR from perfect, it is an enjoyable film. Sure, it borrows from Godzilla and Gamera, but those films were popular at the time and Korea was wanting to hit it big in the international cinema market.

Konga, I find, to be an inferior film. Of course, its inspiration is derived from King Kong. Michael Gough is the main actor and it's nice to watch him act as the mad scientist. The Konga suit is goofy and the movie is not as enjoyable as Yongary.

I recommend this DVD mainly for those who enjoy Godzilla and Gamera films simply for Yongary. Konga can be skipped.

How to Fight Fear with Bible Verses (Christian Spiritual Warfare Book 24)
How to Fight Fear with Bible Verses (Christian Spiritual Warfare Book 24)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad considering how short it is., June 4, 2012
Being a Christian who worries quite a bit, I found this little book to be pretty helpful. Only about 4-5 pages of this 9 page book actually deals with handling of fear, but the condensed information is helpful. I wouldn't say there isn't much in the way of groundbreaking advice, but it is a handy one-stop source if you ever are feeling fearful. There are some examples of prayers a person could say and some Bible verses as well.

For 99 cents, I would recommend it.

The Return of Godzilla
The Return of Godzilla
4 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Japanese Version with English Subtitles, March 9, 2012
This review is from: The Return of Godzilla (DVD)
The DVD is a burnt copy of the Japanese version of "Godzilla" with English subtitles. The American dub isn't a part of this DVD, but that is all right seeing that the Japanese version is superior. Granted, if you hate subtitles, you may not want to consider buying.

Some people have complained about the transfer. Really, I think it's fabulous! It's as good as you're going to find when you purchase any other DVD. The disc is really nice in that it's decorated professionally and not with some cheap sticker. There are no menus so the film starts up right away. At the end there is a nice making-of featurette which is really nice!

All in all, this is a great buy considering we still don't have the American version available to us in the States. I would really suggest picking this one up!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2012 1:48 PM PST

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Xbox 360
Offered by FreeGluten
Price: $13.05
702 used & new from $2.75

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst game I've ever played. So glad I didn't actually pay for my copy., December 3, 2011
I was lucky enough to get this game for free from a friend who happened to absolutely hate it. I've been playing COD titles since the first MW and really haven't found the single player campaigns to be exciting...in fact, they're horrible; some of the worst single player campaigns I've ever played. For $60, I've always expected more, but I don't get that from the recent COD games. Sure, they're essentially multiplayer games, but at some point, we won't be able to use those modes once the new wave of consoles hit the market, and we're stuck with a very, very bad set of games.

The multiplayer fixes some of the bugs that ruined MW2, such as constant bombardments from the air, grenade launcher madness, and the ability to hack (although it's still early enough to where we could see some of this in the coming months). However, there are new problems: Maps that are poorly designed to the point you will experience many matches getting killed within a matter of seconds after spawning, terrible spawning points, low health/taking only 1-3 bullets to die.

While I've enjoyed the nerfing of such things as grenade launchers, and even grenades themselves to a certain extent, it still is extremely aggravating to when you do use any of these weapons, they detonate right next to the opposition, and don't die. I can't even count how many times I've died where it has only taken a couple of bullets to take me down. It's terribly frustrating. The map layout is poor where they run more in a circle with various catacombs. This makes it easier to die more often and a bit easier for people who like to camp.

The Spec Ops modes are still fun, but some of them are way too difficult even on the easiest difficulty. The new Survival mode is pretty fun, especially if you get in on it with some friends.

Otherwise, COD has run its course. I can say enough how grateful I am to have not spent any money on this bad game. The campaign is still terrible and the multiplayer has seen some improvements in areas that really hurt MW2, but come with a new batch of issues that still make the experience frustrating and the improvements pointless. I would save your money. The COD franchise isn't what it used to be. The entire franchise fell apart after the first MW; although Black Ops wasn't too bad. In any case, I would advise not to buy anymore of these games. Spend your hard-earned money on better titles.

Edit: After playing more multiplayer, I have come to the realization that hacking does occur now. The ability to play fair is impossible in these horrible games. COD has completely lost its fun mark. These are the worst games I have ever played. Period.

TNA Wrestling Deluxe Impact Series 2 Action Figure Hulk Hogan
TNA Wrestling Deluxe Impact Series 2 Action Figure Hulk Hogan
Offered by DMK Collectibles
Price: $65.00
2 used & new from $65.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great-Looking Figure, But Inaccurate Limb Proportions, October 21, 2010
Being a life-long Hulk fan, I had to pick this figure up! I bought many of the Jakks Hogan figures from his latest stint in the WWE a few years back and those were amazing!

When I got my figure today, I was a bit disappointed with it. Don't let the picture above fool you. For starters, the figure doesn't come with knee braces. Minor gripe, but I consider it false advertising. Secondly, and this is my biggest gripe, the proportion of the limbs and head are terrible.

I kid you not, unlike the picture above, Hogan's head is MUCH larger than it should be on this figure. It seems as if it were a head that was molded for a figure twice this size. His forearms are tiny and his legs look more like they would be more appropriate on a track and field action figure. The whole figure is goofy looking do to these bad proportions.

I know with all the complaining I've done on the figure so far, you're wondering why I rated it four stars... Well, I can, to a certain degree, look past all of those inaccuracies due to the tremendous amount of detail on the figure. Hogan's tights and boots look exactly like the ones he wore in his tag match with Abyss back in March of 2010 against Flair and A.J. Styles. The head sculpt is the most life-like sculpt that I've ever seen on a Hogan figure!

All-in-all, Jakks did a decent job on the figure. It's articulated in MANY areas, although the abdominal joint looks strange. It's not a terrible Hogan figure, but it's certainly not one of the better ones either. Jakks has done a much better job on previous Hogan figures than they have on this one.

If you're a Hogan enthusiasts, such as myself, you'll find plenty to love about the figure despite the "problems". It's a figure that I would recommend checking out in stores instead of buying it online where the pictures for it have been misleading.

My Life Outside the Ring
My Life Outside the Ring
by Hulk Hogan
Price: $23.39
179 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof that Hulkamania will never die!, January 12, 2010
Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea's new book focuses more on what happened in his life outside of the ring instead of what happened inside of it. The book is extremely well-written and draws you in starting right with the introduction.

Hogan tells you like it was from the very beginning and what was going through his mind as he went through various events in his life. He talks about the ups and the downs, but really uses the book to really come clean on a lot of things many, if not all, of his fans knew about.

Hogan admits to having a brief affair just months before he and Linda (his now ex-wife) ended their twenty-three years of marriage; how Linda would become drunk more frequently over the years and how she never really seemed happy; and to using cocaine for a while back in the 80s. These are a few examples of what Hogan tells the reader.

But this books isn't something he wants to use as a weapon against his ex-wife. On the contrary, he says he still loves her and hopes she finds happiness throughout the whole book. He just talks about the terrible situations his wife put him and their children through before the divorce became a reality. Hogan is also quick to point out that he has some blame to share in the ending of that marriage as well.
Hogan is also wanting to set the record straight of how his son's accident actually happened.

All through this telling, he ends up by telling his readers/fans how he came out of the dumps from the bitter divorce, his son's accident that left one of his son's friends permanently brain damaged, and an evening in his bathroom one night as he was downing Xanax with rum and a pistol placed in his mouth with the hand on the trigger. He reveals his new lease on life and is the happiest he's ever been.
Hogan knows how to keep readers interested and writes in style that very much reminds me of how he does speak. The book gets extremely depressing about midway through as he goes through the various dark moments of his marriage to Linda. But it becomes a happy story towards the end and an inspiring read!

Being a life-long Hulk Hogan fan, I couldn't put this book down! I finished it within 36 hours of starting it and found Hogan to be brutally honest. I could really relate to some of the trials and tribulations he writes about. Some of the things he reveals were very startling, I must admit, but in the end, it doesn't change my view of my favorite wrestler. The man has flaws and has made mistakes...just like all of us; but he has a heart of gold and intends on being the best he can be from here on out.

I highly recommend this book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11