Profile for emarone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

emarone RSS Feed (Seattle, USA)

Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process
Lightroom 2: Streamlining your Digital Photography Process
by Nat Coalson
Price: $37.99
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading for the Lightroom Newbie, May 9, 2009
I don't read a lot of them, but this may very well be the best technical reference I've ever read. Prerequisites for getting the most of this book are a solid relationship with your camera, and at least a fundamental understanding of Adobe's Lightroom 2 software. If you have those, it's written such that any digital photographer looking to better manage their photos will learn valuable and immediately applicable information in an easy-to-follow format.

The book doesn't get into the nitty gritty of processing photos in Lightroom (nor does it promise to), but it does lay out effective strategies for defining a photo management workflow from shutter release to final export, particularly for organizing your files on disk. This is something I have been struggling with for a while, and I feel that Coalson's advice and examples have given me a solid toolkit to work from. I'll read Kelby's Lightroom book next for more detail on processing techniques, but I feel Coalson's book delivered exactly what it promises.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fan, but mind the wiring!, January 26, 2007
The style of this fan would be equally at home in a more modern home as it was in our 1927 craftsman bungalow kitchen. The pitch of the blades does a great job circulating air without generating an excessive amount of wind, although be sure to measure the blade length to make sure they don't hit your cabinet doors when open!

DIY-ers beware: The only drawback to this fan is the wiring connection inside the optional light fixture isn't very well designed. The neutral wire is tucked safely behind the bulb socket and away from the incredibly hot halogen bulb. The hot wire, however, hangs close enough to the bulb to melt through the insulation and sever the connection. I wound up having to repair my wire twice, finally resorting to wire-tying it to the neutral, which still remained safely tucked behind the hot part.

Wiring issues aside, we are planning to purchase another of these fans for our new house when we move next month.

The Celestine Prophecy: An Adventure
The Celestine Prophecy: An Adventure
by James Redfield
Price: $15.00
608 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely readable, September 17, 2006
I finally got around to reading this "Da Vinci Code" of the 90s at the suggestion of a coworker, prior to a trip to Peru I recently took. I had to force myself to finish it despite my initial inclination to toss it after the first 20 pages made me alternately laugh and groan at the lackluster writing, hoping that it would recover and turn out to be worthy of the best-selling status it once enjoyed.

At the end of the day, the prose is forced, the plot line is entirely too conveninient, and the "life changing" insights so many people have reported after reading this book were at times interesting observations, but ultimately unconvincing. Any provocative spiritual content was lost for me underneath the weak storyline and average (at best) writing.