Profile for M. A. Ball > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. A. Ball RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Shadowrun
Shadowrun
34 used & new from $37.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot different and better than the Genesis version, January 25, 2015
This review is from: Shadowrun (Video Game)
The Snes version of Shadowrun is more of an RPG, while the Sega G. one is Action/Adventure. Everything is improved including the soundtrack, customizing, darker atmosphere, story, hacking etc. Think of a matrix/mobster Final Fantasy with guns, shady corporate towers, motels, bars, cemeteries, street thugs and crime bosses. You gotta give this overlooked masterpiece a chance! I think Deus Ex fans would really enjoy the game too.

PlayStation 2 Console Slim - Black
PlayStation 2 Console Slim - Black
Offered by Direct Distributor
Price: $144.95
190 used & new from $40.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Best selection of games, but the Sony systems themselves are junk, October 18, 2014
If it wasn't for the expansive and impressive game selection, I'd just give up on buying any more PS2s. Started off with one of the original fat ones and it quit reading games in a matter of no time because apparently playing movies ruins it. Dumbest thing I've ever heard since you're SUPPOSED to be able to watch movies with it. Sure there's a trick where you can take the PS2 fat apart and adjust a dial, but that'll only prolong the life for a couple more months. The next three I tried were all slims. First one wouldn't read any discs after 6 months. Cleaning the lens with rubbing alcohol didn't fix it. Second one started glitching and freezing during games, because a part had shorted out. Replacing the laser lens wouldn't even fix the problem. On the third one, the power supply shorted out within 2 MONTHS. It's usually just me in the house that plays the PS2 from time to time, so it's not like these systems are being used to death. Another thing; back in the day when this was Sony's newest system at the time, you weren't allowed to take them apart and clean them because it would void the warranty. You had to clean these things every single year, due to all the dirt and dust it'd collect inside which causes problems.

There's no way I'd spend even more money on a PS3 or 4, just because of Sony's poor durability and all the lousy experiences I've had. Huge selection of titles to choose from but be prepared to buy these worthless, junk consoles in bulk. I'm sure I'll get all negative votes on this review, but I seriously cannot recommend these things. Now the SNES on the other hand is amazing. I've had it since the early/mid 90s and it's STILL working!! I miss those days.

Grandia Xtreme
Grandia Xtreme
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $84.99
35 used & new from $16.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best combat system on any RPG, over a decade later, September 26, 2014
This review is from: Grandia Xtreme (Video Game)
I know this review is really late, but the average low rating for Grandia Xtreme was making me depressed. It left me with a bad impression too at the time of it's release, considering how brilliant the first 2 were. However, this game has aged remarkably well! Picked it back up for the first time in 10 years and I was completely hooked.

Pros:
- game play
- battle system
- customizing
- graphics
- decent soundtrack
- sound effects
- completely addicting
- mini boss favorites are back from Grandia 2
as regular enemies
- "Juston"/Justin from first Grandia makes
an appearance in town
- a few side quests
- 100+ hours

Cons:
- no likable characters at the beginning
- lack of story/plot
- only two towns
- some of the voice acting is BAD

Sure, there are faults but the pros more than make up for them. Give Grandia Xteme another chance and maybe you'll be impressed like I was. Sadly, the main founder/creator passed away after making Grandia III, "another great game," so there probably won't be anymore new releases. R.I.P. Takeshi Miyaji. You are sorely missed by your fans.

Olympia
Olympia
Price: $11.88
90 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Like A Roxy Music Album, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Olympia (Audio CD)
This review's a bit late, but Olympia deserves more positive ratings. It has the most original material since Frantic, it's his best consistent release since Mamouna and "Song to the Siren" is possibly the greatest cover of Ferry's entire career. If there's anything to criticize Olympia with is that it doesn't cover new ground. In this case though, that's not such a bad thing. I'm truly baffled that more long time fans weren't impressed.

Wolf Children
Wolf Children
DVD ~ Colleen Clinkenbeard
Price: $14.80
15 used & new from $14.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me smile and bawl like an idiot!, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Wolf Children (DVD)
The most moving and humane anime I've ever seen. Even my mom who typical can't stand animes, liked this one. The story and artwork are stunning making it easy to become obsessed, and want to watch it every day. My family and I have older TVs and regular DVD players, but there's a winter/river scene in the middle of the movie that actually looks like it's in 3D!

There's so much this movie has to offer; parenting, helping neighbors, nature, farming, friendships, children finding their paths in life and a mother's love and determination. Highly recommended to everyone.

Colorful: The Motion Picture
Colorful: The Motion Picture
DVD ~ Colorful
Price: $17.29
11 used & new from $15.75

5.0 out of 5 stars "Progress colorfully and continue living colorfully." — Purapura, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Colorful: The Motion Picture (DVD)
To me, the story hits painfully close to home. Being bullied on a regular basis, trying to find that one close friend, the cheating parent, attempting to overdose..... unfortunately, quite a few people have been through all this. It took me years to realize but I'm grateful for not dying yet and having another go at life. It's like Makoto says, we all have our beautiful and dirty colors at times. If you're willing to tough the world out and embrace the people that really matter to you, life can get better!

So glad that Colorful and other films like these exist.

Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana
51 used & new from $55.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 20 years later and it's still my favorite, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Secret of Mana (Video Game)
Even with all these newer systems and technology, no one has been able to top Secret of Mana. The artwork was beautiful for 1993, has a top notch soundtrack that sets the mood for all the environments, memorable characters and story, high replay value, exciting boss battles..... you name it! For the time of its release, I've never been able to find any faults with the game. If Square ever brings back and remasters any more classics, please let it be this timeless masterpiece.

Shifty Adventures in Nookie Wood
Shifty Adventures in Nookie Wood
Price: $11.99
38 used & new from $3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a vampire castle on steroids., August 20, 2013
Nookie Wood is by far the most thrilling experience of 2012. It's spooky, electronic, atmospheric, catchy and even a bit juvenile. Makes me think of October/Halloween every time I play it. Hell, it even has the coolest looking cover art. I'd say this release easily ranks up there with Paris 1919, Fear and Hobo Sapiens in consistency. Some standouts are "I Wanna Talk 2 U," "Scotland Yard," "Face to the Sky," and "Vampire Cafe."

Even at the age of 70 John Cale still experiments and excites, while most of today's artist are content on making drab, mindless, radio friendly "hits."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2013 1:14 PM PDT

Pappy's Sassafras Concentrate Instant Tea, 12-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)
Pappy's Sassafras Concentrate Instant Tea, 12-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)
Offered by Peters Select
Price: $27.11
10 used & new from $18.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing tastes better than sassafras., August 18, 2013
The most unique kind of tea, yet sassafras seems to be a fairly uncommon drink these days. The best way to fix Pappy's is with 1/2 cup of sugar, a little under 2 quarts of water and cold with no ice. It's easy to delude the taste accidentally by using too much water. Also, this brand doesn't have that red color to it like when you're making it from scratch; but the flavor is still very close. Whenever I can find this stuff locally, I'll usually drink a pitcher a day. So tasty! :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2013 8:16 PM PDT

Sarsaparilla Soda 6 Large Bottles: Kutztown Soda 24oz Bottles
Sarsaparilla Soda 6 Large Bottles: Kutztown Soda 24oz Bottles

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo Good!, August 18, 2013
I got addicted to this stuff, and would buy it at the local grocery all the time. They quit carrying it though and a 2hr drive to The Amish Country is a bit far, so I was thrilled to find this on Amazon. If you like older style root beers or sassafras tea, there's a good chance you'll love Sarsaparilla soda.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7