Profile for C. Jones > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Jones RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Fumoto F-103N Engine Oil Drain Valve
Fumoto F-103N Engine Oil Drain Valve
Offered by qwikvalve
Price: $26.95
3 used & new from $20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fumoto Oil drain plug...great idea, August 31, 2011
The Fumoto oil drain valve is well designed and facilitates the oil change for those of us who like to take care of our own cars. No longer do I have to position the oil drain pan under the plug and drop the hot drain plug into the hot oil, then fish it out while oil is splashing around on the floor. Just take out your OEM plug and replace it with the Fumoto valve. Now you just attach a plastic hose to the nipple extension, stick the hose in a gallon jug and turn on the valve. When it fills the jug to a certain level, just shut it off, get another jug, a repeat the process. You can then take the jugs to the oil recycling stations and you're done. There's no mess or cleanup required...except for the oil filter, but there are techniques for making that a clean operation as well.

The Fumoto valve is well made from brass, has a positive lock-stop on it to prevent it from inadvertantly opening and draining out your oil, and also has various attachments you can buy in order to positon it up and out of the way so that it doesn't hang below the frame or the oil pan and get knocked off by a rock or obstruction you might encounter on the highway. I wish I had found this valve long ago.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Best CPAP chin strap so far, August 21, 2010
I've gone thru about 4 different variations of chin straps so far...some a lot more expensive than this one...but so far, this is the best one I've found. I have a lot of trouble trying to keep my mouth closed so that air from the CPAP machine doesn't leak out through your mouth during the night(the CPAP also has humidifier in it) and I awaken with a little bit of a dry mouth that sometimes makes your tongue feel like a prune. Although I still get a little air leak even with this chin strap, the design is the best I've found...the rear strap keeps it pretty much in place. I'm a side sleeper and because of this, most of the over the head straps that have no other restraints...end up slipping off your hear either forward or to the back at night as you roll from side to side. This one seems to stay in place better than all the rest.

If I was to criticize anything, it would be that the wider straps can generate a little heat because the wider the strap, the more residual heat it traps under the strap...but you can't have it all...the benefits outweigh the downside. Maybe someone should experiment with using a mesh type rear strap material with a short velcro end portion that lets air circulate better. In spite of any negative criticism you might find on this particular chin strap, I've found it to be the best one so far.

Happy Life Blues A Memoir of Survival
Happy Life Blues A Memoir of Survival
by Cecily Mattocks Marshall
Price: $15.00
25 used & new from $3.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Although listed as "used", it appeared to be new, August 3, 2010
I was a child and one of the prisoners incarcerated in the Happy Life Blues internment camp along with my father, mother, and sister.... so I was very interested to read about the conditions and events that surrounded that internment. The book is well written and serves to provide me with a lot of details that I didnt' know because my sister and I were infants.

The book itself looked like it came right off the printer...so its overall conditon was excellent. The seller appropriately listed the condition of the book and expeditiously handled the mailing. I would buy from them again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Folks...this is the REAL DEAL for back pain relief, July 22, 2010
I'm 69 years old. I retired after 30 years in police work, and as a result of some tough assignments, I developed some pretty serious lower back pain. I have a fused cervical spine and some degenerating discs in L3-L4. I've been to chiropractors and back specialists, and am currently enrolled in the chronic pain management program through my HMO.

Yesterday I went with my daughters to the California State Fair and we were walking around the place looking at all the booths. After an hour or so, my back was killing me and I looked for a place to sit down. I happened to see this booth with some guy telling another guy about how this "Back Bubble" would relieve his back pain. The guy got in the device and immediately reported that there was relief. I didnt' believe it, so I hung around and waited for the gentleman named "Ron" to let me try the contraption. I couldn't believe that within ten or so seconds, my back pain was gone...I thought there was some mistake, or it was a fluke...so I told him my daughters and I would walk around for a while and see if the pain was really gone, or if this was a snake oil salesman's routine. (I actually planned on not going back) We walked around the fair for a while and the pain was actually gone!! I came back and found that another guy (turned out to be a fireman) was going thru the same routine and he couldn't believe the relief either....me being a cop and him a fireman and we both were pretty skeptical...but we both ended up buying one....and if there were ever two skeptics in one spot at the same time...that was it.

I brought it home and my daughters made dinner while I installed it in the doorway. One daughter has scoliosis (sp?) and some pretty serious back pain herself. She tried it out and it took her pain away too! I went back today and bought another one for her. I dont' know what better recommendation I can make...and if you look at my history of writing up reviews on Amazon products you'll see I'm pretty direct in my assessments.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2014 11:38 AM PDT

SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4GB SD Memory Card (SDSDRH-004G-A11, US Retail Package)
SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4GB SD Memory Card (SDSDRH-004G-A11, US Retail Package)
Offered by eTECH
Price: $8.79
25 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality card for the price, February 26, 2010
I did quite a bit of research and found that there was not much sense buying a huge capacity card since shooting with a 4 Gig card in jpeg gave me a bit more than 500 shots. The read/write speed of 15 mb/s is totally sufficient for a camera that takes 3-4 frames per second in continuous shooting mode. There's a tendency for some folks to want to buy the biggest and fastest cards only to find that the specs exceed the camera's ability to capitalize on the speed and features of the card. You end up spending a lot of money for something that you really don't need. This is a great value for the money and by buying several, I don't end up with all my eggs in one basket in the unlikely but tragic event that the card somehow was corrupted.

Magic Lantern Guides: Nikon D80
Magic Lantern Guides: Nikon D80
by Simon Stafford
60 used & new from $0.49

3.0 out of 5 stars I guess I had different expectations., February 26, 2010
I'm classified as probably an upper-level intermediate; definitely not a professional, but I have a good grasp of Photography 1A sorts of information. As I said in the title of the review, I think my expectations were that I'd get more of the tricks of the trade as they specifically applied to the D80. Coming from a D70, I already had a good grasp of a lot of the functions that carried over to the D80. I found the first 80 + pages were sort of a more in-depth restatement of the owner's manual with greyed out paragraphs that periodically had the author's "Notes" or "Hints" on a particular aspect of the camer's operation.

Towards the middle and back of the book the author dealt more with the sorts of things I was looking for along with more "Hints" and in-depth explanations of things like how to assess a Histogram and short cuts to take to bypass menu driven items by using the command wheels....those were the sorts of things I was interested in. I bought the book used through Amazon so I can't really complain about the price, but I got more out of Ken Rockwell's website one-page explantion of the Custom Setting Menu's options for the Function button (item #16) than I did from the book. I was influenced by the reviews and was fluctuating between this book and the one that's rated poorly for grammar and editing, but fairly good for content. I rated the book as a three stars mostly because I guess my expectations were a bit higher than what I found in the 300 plus pages of the book. I hate to criticize a product that I know the author put a lot of time and effort into, but I'm still looking for something that gives me more D80 tricks of the trade and less basics or restatements of the owner's manual. I do realize that for the sake of relevancy and continuity, the author, or any author, would have to follow and restate the manual to some degree in order to clarify the functions and procedures.

Thermos Vacuum Insulated 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Hydration Bottle
Thermos Vacuum Insulated 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Hydration Bottle
Price: $15.99
60 used & new from $13.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thermos I was able to find...., October 14, 2009
I did a lot of searching and reseach trying to find something that would work on my bike as well as in the cup holders in my car. Based upon the outstanding reviews this product received, I ended up buying it and have not been disappointed. The way the top springs open, it allows you to take a sip without spilling down the front of you even if you're accelerating in your car or wobbling around on your bike. I use it in conjunction with the Topeak adjustable bottle holder on my bicycle as well as in the cup holder in my car. It keeps my coffee hot for hours, and if I do happen to inadvertently drop it or it bounces out of the cup holder in the car, it's air tight and doesn't leak on the seats like some of the other expensive ones I've bought in the past. It's one of the few that you can actually just lay down on its side and it won't leak like some of those that have a sliding or clip type door on them.

I guess the only question I would have is whether the manufacturer has replacement seals in the event one cracks or starts leaking. Any seal has a tendency to wear out after a while, expecially the one on the inside where you screw down the lid. For the money, I don't think you can find a better product.

Sunlite Bicycle Bungie Cargo Net, Black
Sunlite Bicycle Bungie Cargo Net, Black
Offered by KuLaLa
Price: $3.10
38 used & new from $3.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product/efficient/durable and inexpensive solution, September 13, 2009
I bought the Bungie Cargo net to supplement the hold down spring arm that comes on my rear rack. I found the spring arm to be a little weak, and sometimes the angle of the spring arm doesn't properly secure the package and I'd find it falling to one side or the other, or things rattling and eventually tearing thru the paper bag.... so the purchase of this bungie net was a perfect solution. You might have to double sack your groceries if you have a way to go or if the roadway is a bit rough, but it allows you to balance your load in the middle of the rear rack, and holds the groceries or whatever package you might have....very snugly and securely. They don't rattle or break thru a bag because of the shifting or vibration of canned goods or other hard objects. It can be stuffed into a very small space, thus making it easy to take along. One fellow who rated it suggested putting it into a small plastic bottle...great idea that I'll be following. Truly a must-have for those of you who find the need to carry items or bundles on your bike rack and are tired of hanging the plastic grocery bags over the handle bars or wearing a backpack, but you will need a rear rack.

Topeak OS Rack Lock with Spring
Topeak OS Rack Lock with Spring

4.0 out of 5 stars Suits my purpose perfectly, September 13, 2009
I lost a bike not long ago while standing about 100 feet away talking to some other bikers with my back turned. I purchased a "Gorilla" coiled wire type lock for my next bike, but it didn't fit anywhere that was convenient or out of the way. I began a search for someting that was more convenient and found the Topeak OS rack with integrated Ubolt lock. I read the reviews and saw that some faulted it for being too heavy...yet my Gorilla coiled cable lock was not only heavy, but cumbersome, kept coming unrolled and difficult to find a place to mount. When I got this rack and lock combo....I weighed each piece separately. The rack itself weighed slightly less than 1.5 pounds, and the lock weighed in at a bit over 2 pounds. This made me wonder about the comments that the rack and lock was too heavy. If you just bought a rack and then bought a decent U bolt lock or heavy cable lock, you'd still have the added weight along with the difficulty in finding a decent place to mount it, so the logic of the comments were confusing. The Topeak OS Rack combines the two and places the Ubolt lock out of the way in a convenient slide-in holder. If weight is a problem, then you need to look for the lighter aluminum racks and some other locking device. The rack also has a spring loaded arm that can be used to hold down packages, but the spring is a little on the weak side...so I also use the small elastic cargo net that I put over the top of packages. Overall, I found the rack and lock combo to be well made and convenient. It came with all the hardware I needed to mount it, and fit in the existing threaded holes and allen head screws that come pre-mounted on some of the bikes. You should remember though that the lock is simply a deterrent, and not as beefy as the Krypton type locks...so if you have a really high end bike that you leave somewhere all day, you need to buy something that's a bit beefier and can accomodate the wheels as well as the frame. For my trips to the grocery store (I ride a hybrid), video store, or library and around town, this has been a perfect solution. By solution, I mean more for the folks who ride the hybrid, cruisers, or some of the touring bikes. The only reason I gave it four stars was due to the weak hold down spring I mentioned above.

Topeak Modula Cage Waterbottle Cage
Topeak Modula Cage Waterbottle Cage

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bottle cage, September 13, 2009
I spent a lot of time looking for a bottle cage that would accept a coffee container as well as a water bottle. This was the only one I found that was easily adjustable by turning a set screw. I also purchased the Nissan hot/cold thermos container that allows me to carry either cold or hot contents and it fits perfectly in this bottle cage. This Modula waterbottle cage is well made and looks professional but is not as durable as the beefier wire type cages. I'm very pleased with it. Although some comments have indicated that a standard plastic water bottle "rattles around" in the holder, the store bought smaller water bottle does not fall out unless you're on a rough trail, however in that case, it would seem prudent for you to use a pull/push valve water container made for that purpose, or buy the larger size of store bought water bottle that fits tighter.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2011 3:40 PM PST